Golf thread

stitchface
Superstar

Re: Golf thread

Postby stitchface » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:23 pm

stitchface wrote:"The next thing I want to get going in my swing is forward weight shift. I just don’t think I’m getting enough of it. When I watch the golf swings I want to emulate, the slide forward is almost a whole intermediate step between takeaway and swing, and they end up with basically all their weight on the forward foot. I’m still not quite getting that right and struggling to get rotated all the way through in the follow through because my weight is still too middled."

This seems to be my problem with the driver. Worked on it this morning and definitely improved although the work also resulted in a couple miserable shanks.

Following up on this Kyle, I went to the range and worked on firing my hips just a little earlier and it made a huge difference. The key for me was that I could feel the correct timing and it correlated with a great shot - I feel like I now know what I should be practicing.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Should have seen this coming. Finally got to the range for the first time this week. After a month of being able to hit driver and hybrid but having no clue how to hit an iron, I finally fixed my iron swing and they felt great today. And it ruined my hybrid and driver swing.

All that work on chipping gave me a way better feel for how to strike the ball with the irons. I could hit wedge through 7 iron pretty close to straight and consistent distance 4 out of every 5 swings. The 6-iron was a little squirrel but still usable.

I’ve been spending a ton of time working on my chipping, and I think that gave me a way better feel for how an iron ball strike is supposed to feel. The full swing is almost just an extended version of the chip
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:57 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Should have seen this coming. Finally got to the range for the first time this week. After a month of being able to hit driver and hybrid but having no clue how to hit an iron, I finally fixed my iron swing and they felt great today. And it ruined my hybrid and driver swing.

All that work on chipping gave me a way better feel for how to strike the ball with the irons. I could hit wedge through 7 iron pretty close to straight and consistent distance 4 out of every 5 swings. The 6-iron was a little squirrel but still usable.

I’ve been spending a ton of time working on my chipping, and I think that gave me a way better feel for how an iron ball strike is supposed to feel. The full swing is almost just an extended version of the chip

Think of it as the chip is a shorten version of a swing instead. I know it's the same thing you're saying, but it works better mentally for some odd reason.

Your iron swing shouldn't have ruined your swing with the driver and hybrid. It should be the "same" swing. Esp with the hybrid, you want to hit it like an iron. It's just a longer club so it'll take a little time to get used to that. Are you a digger or sweeper when it comes to irons?
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:36 pm

Splendid Splinter wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Should have seen this coming. Finally got to the range for the first time this week. After a month of being able to hit driver and hybrid but having no clue how to hit an iron, I finally fixed my iron swing and they felt great today. And it ruined my hybrid and driver swing.

Think of it as the chip is a shorten version of a swing instead. I know it's the same thing you're saying, but it works better mentally for some odd reason.

Your iron swing shouldn't have ruined your swing with the driver and hybrid. It should be the "same" swing. Esp with the hybrid, you want to hit it like an iron. It's just a longer club so it'll take a little time to get used to that. Are you a digger or sweeper when it comes to irons?

Really on the chip? That's not what I've been taught.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:17 am

I’m pretty sure my swing was terrible when I was hitting the hybrid well, it was just in a delicate balance of awful where it was all working out.

I’m trying to hit down on the ball more and I think it’s happening. That’s what I mean by it being similar to the chip in my mind. That and keeping chest and butt of club moving through in parallel. I’m still not getting the right follow-through and I’m coming in from too high, but the ball-striking was smooth today.

I also feel really, really good about my chipping and putting. All I need is to get some sort of tee shot back.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:04 pm

Kid’s mom is in town next week so I get a few days of free time, have my first tee times booked.

Had my best range session to date. A friend told me that his secret for getting weight forward and clearing hips is imagine he’s trying to horsefeathers the target in the followthrough, and I’m so mad at how well that worked.

7 iron through wedges feel amazing. I can hit them a consistent distance and confidently aim at fairly small targets, enough that I could go for specific parts of the green up to 150 yards.

My problem now is I just don’t have a tee shot I can trust. It was a little better than last week, but not consistent at all. 4 and 5 hybrids feel like i am hitting them with a wet noodle if I use my normal swing. I had a little better luck using an exaggerated rock back in the takeaway, which is death for me in the iron shots and not recommended, but it works.

3-wood I can’t make consistent contact with

Driver was a little better this week but nowhere near good enough to try on a course. I was missing regular out of bounds instead of further sideways than forwards. I usually slice, but still hit straight or even hook about 1/3rd of the time, so just aiming left doesn’t help
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:07 pm

Sooooo Dustin Johnson so far today

1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:42 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Sooooo Dustin Johnson so far today

Scheffler shot a 59 and won’t have the best round of the day
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:49 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Kid’s mom is in town next week so I get a few days of free time, have my first tee times booked.

Had my best range session to date. A friend told me that his secret for getting weight forward and clearing hips is imagine he’s trying to horsefeathers the target in the followthrough, and I’m so mad at how well that worked.

7 iron through wedges feel amazing. I can hit them a consistent distance and confidently aim at fairly small targets, enough that I could go for specific parts of the green up to 150 yards.

My problem now is I just don’t have a tee shot I can trust. It was a little better than last week, but not consistent at all. 4 and 5 hybrids feel like i am hitting them with a wet noodle if I use my normal swing. I had a little better luck using an exaggerated rock back in the takeaway, which is death for me in the iron shots and not recommended, but it works.

Driver was a little better this week but nowhere near good enough to try on a course. I was missing regular out of bounds instead of further sideways than forwards. I usually slice, but still hit straight or even hook about 1/3rd of the time, so just aiming left doesn’t help

I know they are hard to find nowadays, but have you thought about getting irons 1,2,4,5 or something? If you're hitting your short irons well and your hybrids suck, be like the pros and amaze your friends with the ability to hit a 2 iron.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:55 pm

Kyle... can you tell me what kind of shafts you have in your golf set? Just curious to see what's in your driver/3 wood/4 and 5 hybrid compared to your irons and wedges.
1 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:06 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Kid’s mom is in town next week so I get a few days of free time, have my first tee times booked.

I know they are hard to find nowadays, but have you thought about getting irons 1,2,4,5 or something? If you're hitting your short irons well and your hybrids suck, be like the pros and amaze your friends with the ability to hit a 2 iron.

I wouldn't recommend anyone hitting a 2 or 3 iron and maybe even a 4 iron depending on their swing speed. If you're not swinging 110-115+ with your driver, you're going to have a hell of a time trying to get the ball in the air with the 2-3 iron and even some 4 irons nowadays (the loft on some of these new/recent 4 irons are now what 3 irons used to be). Now the utility irons are different as it's bulkier and more like a hybrid, but even then, you need to have a fast swing speed to get them in the air. There's a reason why you don't see them on tour that much unless it's a specific course or you're going to be a playing a certain shot (Tiger's stinger for example).
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:16 pm

Splendid Splinter wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:

I wouldn't recommend anyone hitting a 2 or 3 iron and maybe even a 4 iron depending on their swing speed. If you're not swinging 110-115+ with your driver, you're going to have a hell of a time trying to get the ball in the air with the 2-3 iron and even some 4 irons nowadays (the loft on some of these new/recent 4 irons are now what 3 irons used to be). Now the utility irons are different as it's bulkier and more like a hybrid, but even then, you need to have a fast swing speed to get them in the air. There's a reason why you don't see them on tour that much unless it's a specific course or you're going to be a playing a certain shot (Tiger's stinger for example).

(shrugs) 3-4 irons are my best clubs. Everyone is different. But yeah, you might have been more to the point with shaft types. He might just do much better with firmer shafts if his hybrids are really flexy.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:35 pm

I do have a 4-iron that I didn’t hate hitting in the past, I might give it another shot at the range, but the 6-iron was already feeling a little wobbly so I’m not optimistic. I really need to get the hybrids working again. They were my best clubs a few weeks ago. I just need something I can hit 180 in the fairway.

Re shafts: I have no idea. They’re all cheap stuff I got off of amazon except for a couple randoms I picked up used. I can look it up later. Driver is pinemeadow, hybrids and irons are Ram.

I also added a 60 degree. I wanted a 58 but they didn’t have those in stock and I didn’t want to wait. I don’t see a big difference chipping with it over my 52, but I don’t mind it for a little 50 yard full swing
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:57 pm

Ok. Regarding the shafts, I was curious on if they were regular or stiff, graphite or steel, etc.

Just a little tip that has helped me in the short game (50-100 yards) is I use half to 3/4 swing on my PW and UW (50°) instead of trying to full swing on my 54 and 58. Seems like I cut down my misses (whether I chunk it or blade it over the green) when I started doing that. Might not work out for you, but thought I would throw this out there to you or anyone else who's reading this.
2 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:14 am

Irons are steel, driver and hybrids are graphite, everything is standard stiffness.

I haven’t checked since overhauling my swing, but a few weeks ago my club speed was 80-90 mph, nothing too explosive
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:16 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:(shrugs) 3-4 irons are my best clubs. Everyone is different. But yeah, you might have been more to the point with shaft types. He might just do much better with firmer shafts if his hybrids are really flexy.

Yeah. Everyone is different. My weakness is my 4 iron.

That's my thinking that the shafts "could" be the problem with the driver all the way to his hybrids. Might be a reason why he's so inconsistent with them week to week. Esp if his hybrids were his best clubs a couple weeks ago. I wouldn't think he tinkered his swing enough in that timeframe that it would just stop working for him.

It's why I don't have any fairway woods or hybrids in my bag right now because I was so inconsistent with them the past year and half that I gave up on them and I was hardly ever using them during my rounds so it wasn't hurting me if I didn't have them. I will say that I will be getting fitted this winter for them or possibly utility irons. People would be so surprised just how much it does for your game just by getting the right shaft in your club. It really does make a difference. That being said, you need to figure out what your swing is first before getting fitted.
1 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:25 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Irons are steel, driver and hybrids are graphite, everything is standard stiffness.

I haven’t checked since overhauling my swing, but a few weeks ago my club speed was 80-90 mph, nothing too explosive

Ok. The shafts should be fine, but you're right there where you might need a stiffer or a heavier standard shaft. Will say that the next time you check your club speed and it's consistently 90+, you might want to think about getting stiff flex instead of standard or regular flex. It's also your longer clubs so it's more "flexible" than your irons even though it's the same stiffness.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:46 am

First real tee time tomorrow. I was going to play a regular, public par-71 course, but my yips with the longer clubs convinced me to start with an executive par-59 instead.

Did one last range session tonight, hit about 250 balls, and successfully lowered my own expectations so much that it can't possibly be a disappointment, which is good. I started out doing amazing, just peppering the target areas with my 7-PW, felt pretty good about myself. About halfway through, I broke out the hybrids, still struggled with it, went back to the high irons and lost the feel for them entirely. The more I tried to adjust things to fix it, the worse it got. I started pulling, then I started opening the face and hitting a weird push-slice (how do you even slice an 8-iron). Then I started hitting so far behind the ball I was barely making contact, then I started topping everything.

I'm going to assume I got a little psyched out and tired and can reset tomorrow. Most of the course is just dinky little 110-yard par 3s, so even a topped 70-yard worm burner can get me close enough to chip on, and I feel really confident in my chipping and putting.
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:24 am

A couple of things:

-You probably hit too many balls. Think about it, you probably played 2-2 1/2 round of golf in that bucket of balls. You either got tired, which is why you started hitting poorly, or you got too comfortable in your good swings an inadvertently or subconsciously changed your swing

-Golf is hard and your a beginner. Of course you’re gonna hit horsefeathers shots in 250 tries

-I’ve been playing golf a long time though not regularly. Still haven’t felt comfortable hitting hybrids. I prefer3-6 irons any day of the week to a hybrid

-Going to the range is great as it helps muscle memory. And that’s great for training “habit” swings/mechanics. But it can also be muscle memory for bad mechanics.

-Try this: go to a par 3 or a short 9-hole and take a putter, a wedge and low iron, say a 3 or 5. Don’t use any other clubs regardless of the distance of the hole. Use those three clubs only. If a par 3 is too long, pretend it’s a par 5 and you’re laying up, splitting the distance and go for the green in three. Or look to place your shot in a certain area for your next shot onto to the green. You’ll accomplish the same muscle memory training you do at a range, only you’re on a course. And you won’t be tempted to rush through a basket of balls because your hitting, then walking to your ball, then thinking about your shot, and then hitting again.

Anyway, golf is awesome and I wish I had more time to play. Someday.
2 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:21 pm

Well, it's in the books. I shot a 99 on a par-59, 18-hole executive course.

I got paired up with a dad with his 8-year-old kid. The kid moved pretty slow and they didn't really care if I just hit whenever I wanted while he futzed around. There was a slow group in front of us and no one behind us, so it all worked out really well.

The first hole is a super easy 110-yarder to get you warmed up. I stepped up, fatted it and almost sent the divot further than the ball. Then I skulled a wedge but it rolled up on the green anyway. Two-putted for bogey, away we went.

There were plenty of other bad golfers on the course. I probably wasn't even the worst one in eyesight most of the time. Even the dad, who hit some pretty good shots, also hit some squibs.

I had a lot of problems with ball striking. Grass is definitely less forgiving than mats. I hit a lot of low line drives about 80% of the target distance, a few ground balls and a few good shots. And even my solid shots didn't go as far as I wanted. I didn't bring anything below a 7 iron because I just don't trust them, but even like a 150-yard ground ball 5 would have been a useful shot to have on the par-4s. The nice thing was that everything stayed straight and went the direction I was aiming.

The dad and son dropped out after 9, so I was playing by myself. The course was surprisingly empty, it's always booked up online. There was a three-some in front of me that offered to let me play through, but there was no one behind me and I didn't mind the rest. Fatigue and thirst was definitely a factor on the back 9.

Highlights included: Back to back pars on 7th and 8th. I dropped a beauty of an 8-iron within 10 feet of the hole on the 7th, left the birdie putt a foot short. Then I got a line drive to run up on the green on the 8th and managed a long two-putt.

Putting a bunker shot to within a foot of the hole on the 9th.

Having a 20-foot birdie putt lip out on the 13th. Then missing the 4-footer for par.

Playing the entire round with the same ball (although it was close, I had at one stop a few feet short of the water).

Lowlights: Forgetting to bring water and almost dying before I found the concession cart on the 15th.

Short game was a little shakier than I expected. I hit a lot of good putts and chips, but more bad ones than I thought I would, and needed two shots to get out of a bunker once.
6 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:15 pm

Really enjoyed reading that, thanks for the update.

Anecdotally, the hardest thing to practice away from an actual course is the short game. I went to the lake shore driving range and put like, 10 straight lob wedges within an 8 foot circle 50 yards out and felt on top of the world. And then the next round I played was an endless march back and forth over the green as I skulled one wedge after another. You just really need to get used to how actual grass/ground reacts to your high loft clubs. What also helped was just acknowledging that I wasn't Phil Mickelson, and getting comfortable just quarter swinging a PW and letting it roll to two putt territory.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:39 pm

squally1313 wrote:Really enjoyed reading that, thanks for the update.

Anecdotally, the hardest thing to practice away from an actual course is the short game. I went to the lake shore driving range and put like, 10 straight lob wedges within an 8 foot circle 50 yards out and felt on top of the world. And then the next round I played was an endless march back and forth over the green as I skulled one wedge after another. You just really need to get used to how actual grass/ground reacts to your high loft clubs. What also helped was just acknowledging that I wasn't Phil Mickelson, and getting comfortable just quarter swinging a PW and letting it roll to two putt territory.

I'm really soured on driving range mats now. Grass just doesn't feel the same at all, either for chips or irons.

I think I only skulled two chips. And since I only hit 3 GIR, I was hitting a lot of chips. I left a lot of them way short, I was expecting them to roll more than they did.

I feel like I set a good baseline and have a lot of ways to gain strokes quickly

1) Bring a real tee shot. Even the 5-hybrid would have been great. Fairways are a lot wider than I was imagining, and 175 yards rolling into the rough would have been better for me than a lot of the 110s I plunked into the middle of the fairway. Hitting a driver might have legitimately saved me 12 shots on the 5 par-4s.

2) Chip more confidently

3) Keep practicing putting. I had 11 2-putts, 5 3-putts, 2 4-putts for 45 total. Some of it's just getting used to the pressure. A 5-footer for bogey feels a million times harder than a 5-footer on the practice range that you'll forget in 30 seconds.

Edit: I will also note that I went 5-for-5 hitting fairways and am now in possession of a lifetime 100% FIR stat.
2 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:47 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Edit: I will also note that I went 5-for-5 hitting fairways and am now in possession of a lifetime 100% FIR stat.

Just give it up. Keep that stat forever and brag how you never missed a fairway in your life. It'll only go downhill now if you keep playing. :lol:
1 x

NonProfitCow
5-Time All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:28 am

Mickelson is playing a Champions Tour event this week at one of my home courses, Ozarks National. He went ultra low today, which kind of pisses me off. I get that he's among the best of the best, but the course will play harder on a random Thursday next month than how it's set up now. I've never seen the greens as soft or the rough so short there.
1 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:58 pm

Playing the entire round with the same ball (although it was close, I had at one stop a few feet short of the water).

Well then you are already 1000x better than me. It's common for me to have to pick up a few balls every time I start the back nine. I over-swing like an idiot far too often.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”