2017-18 Bulls Thread - Fly the Tank W

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Re: 2017-18 Bulls Thread - Fly the Tank W

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:51 pm

Doing something like 7 pick and Portis for the 4th pick and Parson’s makes sense. Bamba is a good fit for the Bulls even if he’s just a rim protector and not much more.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:12 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Brian wrote:I really want Memphis' pick

Who do you want.

I by no means follow the draft as closely these days, but had kind of resigned myself to one of Bamba, MPJ, or Young being there at 7 and each offering a similar boom/bust profile (granted all in uniquely different ways). It seems possible a trade up to 4 is for one of these guys. Should I feel strongly enough for 1 over the other 2?

Love Porter's upside. But Bamba is the guy for me. He also has a lot of offensive upside, and his downside is being a big time shot blocker and finisher around the rim. Porter's downside is he can't even get on the court.

Plus, as much as the Bulls need a big time perimeter scorer, I think a premier big would help quite a bit also and it's harder to find (though both are rare). And if Bamba can develop even half of Embiid's offensive game, then they could have enough on the perimeter with LaVine and some other pieces from pick 22 and some mid-level FAs.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:23 pm

The issue is this: Bamba, who I love, or Porter, who I'd be perfectly happy with, could be there at 7. In fact, I figure one of them will be. So, do you trade up anyway?

I don't think so. Taking on 2 years of Chandler Parsons at 25 mill each season? No. Just no. Especially not if you ALSO are sending Portis. And the thing is, that's probably very close to what it would take.

I love Bamba. I would trade up for him, IF we took on Parsons, but got to keep Portis, AND got pick 32 from them. That's how bad Parsons deal is.

So, since that's not happening, I'm happy sitting at 7 and seeing Porter, or worse case, Wendell Carter, falling to me.

That said, Bamba fits perfectly with Lauri.
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame

Postby Flames24Rulz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:22 pm

The only way I'd move up to #4 is if you can somehow keep #7, but that's not realistic. If Parsons was a FA after next year, then I'd be all for it -- that second year remaining is brutal though, and I'd rather it not preclude them from doing anything next offseason. One of Porter, Bamba, or Carter should be there at #7, you'd have to think.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:40 pm

Complete dream scenario, trade Portis, 22, next year's top 1 protected 1st for Parsons and 4.

Draft Bamba at 4, MPJ at 7.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame

Postby Flames24Rulz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:42 pm

davell wrote:Complete dream scenario, trade Portis, 22, next year's top 1 protected 1st for Parsons and 4.

Draft Bamba at 4, MPJ at 7.

Top 3, I assume, but yeah...that's sort of what I was thinking in my 'unrealistic' scenario, with Bamba and Porter being the two picks too.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:43 pm

Reading a bunch of pre draft gossip saying MPJ and Trae are dropping, with Carter and Gilgeous-Alexander moving up. Bamba reiterated today he's got tons of interest in us.

This is going to be fun. From 2 on, this is an absolute crapshoot.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:50 pm

This might be anti-big-man bias, but I'm struggling to see a best case scenario for Bamba where he's better than the 3rd best player on a championship caliber team. Like Spongeworthy, when you get the chance to draft this high I think you need to spend it on a guy who could be Option A or B on a title contender, even if you fail miserably in the process. The exception to this is if you're lucky enough to already have that A & B and have the pick via trade, but even Boston and Cleveland would probably be best served by that approach.
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:20 pm

davell wrote:The issue is this: Bamba, who I love, or Porter, who I'd be perfectly happy with, could be there at 7. In fact, I figure one of them will be. So, do you trade up anyway?

I don't think so. Taking on 2 years of Chandler Parsons at 25 mill each season? No. Just no. Especially not if you ALSO are sending Portis. And the thing is, that's probably very close to what it would take.

I love Bamba. I would trade up for him, IF we took on Parsons, but got to keep Portis, AND got pick 32 from them. That's how bad Parsons deal is.

So, since that's not happening, I'm happy sitting at 7 and seeing Porter, or worse case, Wendell Carter, falling to me.

That said, Bamba fits perfectly with Lauri.

Yea, I think if they're swapping picks and taking back Parsons, also giving up Portis is too much... in fact almost think the Bulls need a tad more in that scenario.

The Bulls have two good bargaining chips.

1. ATL seems open to a trade down so the Bulls can take the best offer if they are reaching out to both (and all things equal you'd want to make the trade with Atl so you dont get jumped)
2. The Bulls are better positioned than most to take on salary, which is what Mem wants.

That said, anything not involving 7 is totally unrealistic.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:24 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:This might be anti-big-man bias, but I'm struggling to see a best case scenario for Bamba where he's better than the 3rd best player on a championship caliber team. Like Spongeworthy, when you get the chance to draft this high I think you need to spend it on a guy who could be Option A or B on a title contender, even if you fail miserably in the process. The exception to this is if you're lucky enough to already have that A & B and have the pick via trade, but even Boston and Cleveland would probably be best served by that approach.

The Bulls would definitely still have to trade or sign a dynamic wing player at some point who the offense could flow through and facilitate to fully utilize the Bamba/Markannen front court.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:38 pm

FWIW

0 x
Screw Pitchers

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:46 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:FWIW

So what does ATL want for #3?
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:53 pm

Looks like the Knicks can't take on Parson. But, I never underestimate their ability to make dumb trades so maybe they'll find a third team and give up everything else of value they have to make it happen.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:00 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:This might be anti-big-man bias, but I'm struggling to see a best case scenario for Bamba where he's better than the 3rd best player on a championship caliber team. Like Spongeworthy, when you get the chance to draft this high I think you need to spend it on a guy who could be Option A or B on a title contender, even if you fail miserably in the process. The exception to this is if you're lucky enough to already have that A & B and have the pick via trade, but even Boston and Cleveland would probably be best served by that approach.

The Bulls would definitely still have to trade or sign a dynamic wing player at some point who the offense could flow through and facilitate to fully utilize the Bamba/Markannen front court.

I think Bamba can be the 2nd best player for sure on a championship team. Granted, he'd have to hit on a lot of his upside...and he will never be an Option A because he's a big and the game doesn't go thru the post anymore. But regardless, the Bulls are going to need a dynamic wing player. I mean, that's the only way you contend in the NBA. While Porter or Young could potentially be dynamic wing players, I think the odds are very slim that you take one of them and you're a title contender unless they become Durant or Curry, respectively.

I think Lauri/Bamba is a potentially wonderful 2/3 option on a title contender. They're not likely to ever get a #1 option unless they sign an already established FA dynamic wing player. And I think the chances of Lauri/Bamba making Chicago an attractive destination for FA dominant wing players > the chances Porter or Young become that dominant wing player.
3 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:25 am

rawaction wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

I think Bamba can be the 2nd best player for sure on a championship team. Granted, he'd have to hit on a lot of his upside...and he will never be an Option A because he's a big and the game doesn't go thru the post anymore. But regardless, the Bulls are going to need a dynamic wing player. I mean, that's the only way you contend in the NBA. While Porter or Young could potentially be dynamic wing players, I think the odds are very slim that you take one of them and you're a title contender unless they become Durant or Curry, respectively.

I think Lauri/Bamba is a potentially wonderful 2/3 option on a title contender. They're not likely to ever get a #1 option unless they sign an already established FA dynamic wing player. And I think the chances of Lauri/Bamba making Chicago an attractive destination for FA dominant wing players > the chances Porter or Young become that dominant wing player.

This is my thinking as well
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:35 am

My dream scenario tomorrow, no shot at it happening.....

7) Bamba
Trade 22 and Valentine for 14 and Faried.
14) Have Knox or Miles Bridges sitting there to take.
Trade future 2nd or even 2 of them to move back into 30-40 range
Draft Bruce Brown, Khyri Thomas, or preferrably Jakob Evans with the pick.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:08 pm

Chicago has also been active in lottery trade talks and could move up from no. 7, as mentioned above. Multiple sources have said that the Bulls could be looking to add a second lottery pick, too. The Sixers’ no. 10 selection was floated as a possibility.

From Kevin O'Connor's article just now.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:20 pm

davell wrote:Chicago has also been active in lottery trade talks and could move up from no. 7, as mentioned above. Multiple sources have said that the Bulls could be looking to add a second lottery pick, too. The Sixers’ no. 10 selection was floated as a possibility.

Interesting... wonder who they like in the back half of the lottery? And could this mean the long rumored Chandler Hutchinson promise is bunk (I have to imagine getting back in the lotto requires 22).
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:30 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
davell wrote:Chicago has also been active in lottery trade talks and could move up from no. 7, as mentioned above. Multiple sources have said that the Bulls could be looking to add a second lottery pick, too. The Sixers’ no. 10 selection was floated as a possibility.

Interesting... wonder who they like in the back half of the lottery? And could this mean the long rumored Chandler Hutchinson promise is bunk (I have to imagine getting back in the lotto requires 22).

Yeah, I'd figure 22 is part of any deal. Personally, I don't see Philly being the team we'd trade with. Frankly, it doesn't make sense for them to move down(or out). They've got multiple 1sts already and an excellent young team. If anything, they need to move up.

Denver or one of the Clippers picks, seems more feasible to me. And at 12,13,or 14, you're definitely getting a guy a tier or 2 higher than Hutchison, who I'm fine with, if we do stay at 22.

Big guy early, wing later. Or wing early, big guy later.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:25 pm

Homer hot sports take: Robert Williams will have a better NBA career than Mo Bamba.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:40 pm

I really really want Bagley, but it looks like he's going 2nd to the Kings (where all big men go to die).

I really think we're drafting Carter and I'm not that excited about it. He'll be a solid player most likely, but he lacks the high ceiling of other players we could take.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:52 pm

if you're trying to turn it around in one year, sure. But if you're going to be bad again next year (and arguably the bulls can very easily be intentionally worse in 18-19 than they were in 17-18) then grabbing Bamba to be that Goebert type while you try to either draft a second option next year or trade the pick for one seems viable to me.
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:57 pm

Also i have a couple political types with good OU ties as sources who this afternoon both become suddenly CONVINCED that atlanta is drafting Doncic and trading him to dallas, who is drafting trae young

edit: im assuming they're hearing from people who are hearing from Young's family, who are likely being blown smoke by about half the lottery, so who knows
3 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:41 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:Also i have a couple political types with good OU ties as sources who this afternoon both become suddenly CONVINCED that atlanta is drafting Doncic and trading him to dallas, who is drafting trae young

edit: im assuming they're hearing from people who are hearing from Young's family, who are likely being blown smoke by about half the lottery, so who knows

That definitely made the rumor rounds up until an hour or so ago.

Westlund says Bulls trying to trade up to 3......
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:44 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:Also i have a couple political types with good OU ties as sources who this afternoon both become suddenly CONVINCED that atlanta is drafting Doncic and trading him to dallas, who is drafting trae young

And now..... They're right.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”