2017-18 Bulls Thread - Fly the Tank W

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 2017-18 Bulls Thread - Fly the Tank W

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:27 am

Omg they lost that? I can’t believe how angry I am about my favorite NBA team winning a game.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:06 pm

So, I mentioned this but no one seemed to notice -- the 2019 draft class kinda sucks. I proposed the Bulls package their pick with next year's pick (top-3 protected) if they don't end up with a top-5 pick in this year's draft. I think it's even more important that the Bulls get a high pick and take the right player in this year's NBA draft.

The 2018 high school senior class is considered one of the weakest in some time, and with the international crop looking fairly shallow (once again), NBA teams aren't overly optimistic early about about the way the 2019 draft is shaping up thus far, particularly within the top 10, but also in terms of first-round depth.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... -prospects
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:33 pm

Regular Show wrote:So, I mentioned this but no one seemed to notice -- the 2019 draft class kinda sucks. I proposed the Bulls package their pick with next year's pick (top-3 protected) if they don't end up with a top-5 pick in this year's draft. I think it's even more important that the Bulls get a high pick and take the right player in this year's NBA draft.

The 2018 high school senior class is considered one of the weakest in some time, and with the international crop looking fairly shallow (once again), NBA teams aren't overly optimistic early about about the way the 2019 draft is shaping up thus far, particularly within the top 10, but also in terms of first-round depth.

Yeah I saw it. I just can't see GarPax taking a gamble like that. He's stressed that this is a multi-year rebuild, so I can't see him just giving up a 1st round likely lottery pick in a year where the lottery odds begin to smooth out a bit. I definitely understand where you are coming from. If the Bulls end up with like the 9th pick, I wouldnt be opposed to offering their pick and NO pick, as well as the option to swap picks in 2019 to move up into the top 4, but I can't see them outright trading next year's pick.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:01 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:So, I mentioned this but no one seemed to notice -- the 2019 draft class kinda sucks. I proposed the Bulls package their pick with next year's pick (top-3 protected) if they don't end up with a top-5 pick in this year's draft. I think it's even more important that the Bulls get a high pick and take the right player in this year's NBA draft.

Yeah I saw it. I just can't see GarPax taking a gamble like that. He's stressed that this is a multi-year rebuild, so I can't see him just giving up a 1st round likely lottery pick in a year where the lottery odds begin to smooth out a bit. I definitely understand where you are coming from. If the Bulls end up with like the 9th pick, I wouldnt be opposed to offering their pick and NO pick, as well as the option to swap picks in 2019 to move up into the top 4, but I can't see them outright trading next year's pick.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. I did put some protection (top-3) on the traded pick to provide cover for the Bulls should that draft pick end up being really valuable. I think the Bulls are actually going to be contending for the 8th seed next year with a healthy LaVine, a high draft pick and our young players improving. So, I really don't think our pick next year is going to be that great (in a weak draft).

The problem with doing a pick swap is A.) it might not be possible since that team might not even control their draft pick in next year's draft and B.) the team trading with the Bulls to allow them to move up in this year's draft might be worse than the Bulls next year as well. Swapping picks only makes sense when you're pretty sure the team you're swapping with will end up being worse than you.

I don't mind trading the NO pick in the right trade, but the Bulls better not package their picks to take another scrub like they did in 2014 when they drafted Doug McDermott.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:38 pm

Regular Show wrote:I don't mind trading the NO pick in the right trade, but the Bulls better not package their picks to take another scrub like they did in 2014 when they drafted Doug McDermott.

I actually was ok with the thought process behind that trade (given where the Bulls were at the time), but never liked the actual pick. And it looks hilariously awful now that we know the picks the Bulls traded were used to pick Nurkic and Gary Harris. It's insane how well that trade worked out for Denver.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:07 pm

I get what you’re saying but I’m starting to think this years class isn’t all that great either. Doesn’t mean it isn’t better than next year but I’m starting to think even in the lotto a lot of these guys are just rotation pieces at best. I’m not seeing too many perennial all-stars, best or second best players on a championship team, etc other than maybe the guy from Europe.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

I get what you’re saying but I’m starting to think this years class isn’t all that great either. Doesn’t mean it isn’t better than next year but I’m starting to think even in the lotto a lot of these guys are just rotation pieces at best. I’m not seeing too many perennial all-stars, best or second best players on a championship team, etc other than maybe the guy from Europe.

I agree that this draft class might not have that many perennial all-stars either or the best/second best player on a championship team. I feel like that's even more of a reason to move up in this draft class to try to maximize your chances of grabbing that special player. I think there are 4-5 players that can be impact players if they reached their 90% highest projections/ceiling, but probably most of them end up being just good players/role players.

I definitely think this year's class is WAY better than the 2019 draft class. I'm not impressed at all by the prospects in that draft class like R.J. Barrett and Z. Williamson. It also lacks depth as well and not just high-level players at the top of the draft.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

I agree that this draft class might not have that many perennial all-stars either or the best/second best player on a championship team. I feel like that's even more of a reason to move up in this draft class to try to maximize your chances of grabbing that special player. I think there are 4-5 players that can be impact players if they reached their 90% highest projections/ceiling, but probably most of them end up being just good players/role players.

I definitely think this year's class is WAY better than the 2019 draft class. I'm not impressed at all by the prospects in that draft class like R.J. Barrett and Z. Williamson. It also lacks depth as well and not just high-level players at the top of the draft.

Good points and I agree mostly, but unless the Bulls can trade up to 1-2 to get Ayton or the Euro guy I don't know if there's going to be much difference between the 3rd pick and 7th or 9th pick (or wherever they pick) that it's worth giving up additional assets.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:52 pm

OH NOES, THEY'RE ONTO US.....CHEESE IT!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2267 ... up-choices
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:30 pm

So Dallas gets a fine, but the NBA is actively stepping into Bulls management and coaching decisions?
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:12 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:So Dallas gets a fine, but the NBA is actively stepping into Bulls management and coaching decisions?

Eh, you gotta dress your guys. Sitting Lopez and Holiday has been pretty brazen. Honestly can't blame the league for saying something about it. The Bulls are going to finish with the 9th pick.

On top of that, at the time of the Niko trade, the Pelican pick looked like it'd be in the 12-15 range. Now its looking like 22-25.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 am

So the tank operation by the Bulls just isn't cutting it, and now the NBA is getting involved. This sucks. Picking #8 or lower won't get us a great player and I really don't trust this FO to find a hidden gem in the draft.

I'll give GarPax credit for making a good trade with Minn, but you have to make some other good moves to properly tear down and rebuild. I wasn't a big fan of the J. Butler trade when it happened, but it should turn into that rare good-deal-for-both-teams type trade. It was a good move.

Now, I'm most worried the Bulls might be stuck in that middle ground area -- not good enough to get a top seed or compete for a championship, but also not bad enough to land a top pick to get an impact player.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:02 am

Regular Show wrote:Picking #8 or lower won't get us a great player and I really don't trust this FO to find a hidden gem in the draft.

Didn't this regime pick Butler?
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:43 am

Regular Show wrote:So the tank operation by the Bulls just isn't cutting it, and now the NBA is getting involved. This sucks. Picking #8 or lower won't get us a great player and I really don't trust this FO to find a hidden gem in the draft.

I'll give GarPax credit for making a good trade with Minn, but you have to make some other good moves to properly tear down and rebuild. I wasn't a big fan of the J. Butler trade when it happened, but it should turn into that rare good-deal-for-both-teams type trade. It was a good move.

Now, I'm most worried the Bulls might be stuck in that middle ground area -- not good enough to get a top seed or compete for a championship, but also not bad enough to land a top pick to get an impact player.

Meh, I'm no more worried about that being the case than I was right after the Butler trade.

The Niko situation is ending up to be just about as bad as you could have expected. I'd take him back as a possible flippable asset over the 22-25 pick it's projected at right now. But we had to trade him to save the tank apparently...
1 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:15 pm

Assuming the Bulls are drafting 8th or 9th, there's still going to be some very nice players available. If the top 7 stay the same(which is likely not to happen), you'll see Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Bamba, Porter, Jackson, and Young gone.....

Leaves you with Wendell Carter or Mikal Bridges. Both of whom I like a lot. Bridges, in particular, is damn near a perfect fit. Both of those guys are long term starters. Its not the best scenario for what we expected, but its still very solid. Especially considering the development of Lauri, LaVine, and Dunn. Hell, add Portis too.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:17 pm

davell wrote:Assuming the Bulls are drafting 8th or 9th, there's still going to be some very nice players available. If the top 7 stay the same(which is likely not to happen), you'll see Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Bamba, Porter, Jackson, and Young gone.....

Leaves you with Wendell Carter or Mikal Bridges. Both of whom I like a lot. Bridges, in particular, is damn near a perfect fit. Both of those guys are long term starters. Its not the best scenario for what we expected, but its still very solid. Especially considering the development of Lauri, LaVine, and Dunn. Hell, add Portis too.

I know very little about basketball, but Lavine, Dunn, Lauri, Bridges, and Portis seems like a pretty fun line up to watch develop over the next couple years.
1 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:24 pm

DRose joining the Minnesota TimberBulls.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:02 pm

squally1313 wrote:
davell wrote:Assuming the Bulls are drafting 8th or 9th, there's still going to be some very nice players available. If the top 7 stay the same(which is likely not to happen), you'll see Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Bamba, Porter, Jackson, and Young gone.....

I know very little about basketball, but Lavine, Dunn, Lauri, Bridges, and Portis seems like a pretty fun line up to watch develop over the next couple years.

Uh, do you want Miles or Mikal? I personally prefer Mikal Bridges and was hoping to grab him with the NO pick, but that has no chance of happening now...
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:02 pm

squally1313 wrote:

I want more obviously, but yeah......I think that's a fun group to watch.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Regular Show wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

Uh, do you want Miles or Mikal? I personally prefer Mikal Bridges and was hoping to grab him with the NO pick, but that has no chance of happening now...

I'd be shocked if Mikal isn't taken in the top 10. I can see Miles dropping outside the lottery, just because he's a tweener.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:29 pm

Regular Show wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

I meant Mikal. Obviously he is a step down from group listed below, but he seems to be picking up a lot of positive hype lately, and it'd be nice to add someone with his skill set to go with Dunn/Lavine's driving ability and Lauri's ability to stretch the floor.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:33 pm

squally1313 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
squally1313 wrote:I know very little about basketball, but Lavine, Dunn, Lauri, Bridges, and Portis seems like a pretty fun line up to watch develop over the next couple years.

I meant Mikal. Obviously he is a step down from group listed below, but he seems to be picking up a lot of positive hype lately, and it'd be nice to add someone with his skill set to go with Dunn/Lavine's driving ability and Lauri's ability to stretch the floor.

I like Mikal Bridges a lot as well, and think he'll be a good defensive player that helps make up for the defensive deficiencies of our other players. K. Dunn and M. Bridges will be our defensive aces, and Z. LaVine and L. Markkanen our go-to guys on offense.

It'd be a good solid group, but it also lacks upside unless Markkanen blows up and does truly become the next Nowitzki.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:57 pm

davell wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

I want half of them traded for a better player.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:24 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
davell wrote:
squally1313 wrote:I know very little about basketball, but Lavine, Dunn, Lauri, Bridges, and Portis seems like a pretty fun line up to watch develop over the next couple years.

I'm waiting a year, maybe two, before I start trying to make a trade like that. 1) Not sure if there's a guy even available 2) Boston has dibs on the 1st star on the block, unless we'd massively overpay to beat them.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:32 pm

davell wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
davell wrote:

I'm waiting a year, maybe two, before I start trying to make a trade like that. 1) Not sure if there's a guy even available 2) Boston has dibs on the 1st star on the block, unless we'd massively overpay to beat them.

I think you should factor in the input of said star player who is available. If AD ever becomes available he might want to come back to Chicago and play for his hometown team, or at least would prefer that. Giannis might want to come to Chicago because it's close to Milwaukee and I've heard he actually likes living there for some reason.

Boston can make the better trade offers right now, but those trade assets start depreciating. Like Bos is not getting the Laker's pick this year so that most likely means they're getting the Sac pick next year in a terrible draft class. They could still draft a good player, but I'd rather have a pick in this year's draft if I were the Celtics.

They do have a bunch of future draft picks from other teams. Not sure how great they'll end up being though. Bulls just need to keep accumulating good young players and actually draft players with their 2nd round picks instead of getting those "cash considerations"...
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”