2017-18 Bulls Thread - Fly the Tank W

bcl412
Superstar

Re: 2017-18 Bulls Thread - Fly the Tank W

Postby bcl412 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:43 pm

Playoffs are more likely than top 5 pick now right? I mean we’re the Bulls so we’ll get neither and pick 9th but I’m still enjoying what they’ve pieced together.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:57 pm

I've talked myself into being ok with picking top 12. I kind of doubt we even accomplish that though. And yeah, being the Bulls they'll miss the playoffs.

Ayton
Bagley
Doncic
Young
Porter

Bamba
Jackson
Mikal Bridges

Miles Bridges
Sexton
Knox
Carter

That's my personal cutoff.

I'm not sure what to do with Niko. If you can't get a 1st for him, maybe you hold him and just try and get someone to take the Lopez contract off the books, to give you some money next year.

Roll with that and see how good the youngsters wind up getting in a few years?

No idea. I know I want a top 5 pick. But that ain't happening without ping pong ball magic.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

bcl412
Superstar

Postby bcl412 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:02 am

Just need a solid lottery rigging. A top pick with a developing core is a fun dream
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:05 am

They’re “only” 4 losses off the most losses and 2 off of being inside the top 4-5 most losses. Let’s settle down here a bit guys. They are 7 games back in the L column of the playoffs, that isn’t gonna happen. While exciting and young this roster has potential to only win 12ish more games the rest of the way.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:06 am

Theyll finish like 10th. They're just gonna have to give plenty of playing time to that 10th pick so that he, expiring Lopez, lotto protected '19 pick and Portis or Valentine actually look like a good deal for disgruntled star player next deadline. That's the path. Or they make the playoffs and actially look like an awesome FA landing spot. Or they do get like 6th or 7th and get a pretty decent piece.
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:01 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Theyll finish like 10th. They're just gonna have to give plenty of playing time to that 10th pick so that he, expiring Lopez, lotto protected '19 pick and Portis or Valentine actually look like a good deal for disgruntled star player next deadline. That's the path. Or they make the playoffs and actially look like an awesome FA landing spot. Or they do get like 6th or 7th and get a pretty decent piece.

I don't think you're getting an impact player picking 6th or 7th this year. A decent player maybe, but we need impact players to really improve and contend down the road.

The top tier in this draft is only 4 or 5 players deep (M. Bagley III, D. Ayton, L. Doncic, M. Bamba, and maybe M. Porter Jr.) and after that you're getting solid rotation players/starters. That next tier of players probably aren't developing into impact players.

I do like T. Young and he is shooting the lights out in college right now. He is rising pretty fast.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:12 am

Cubswin11 wrote:They’re “only” 4 losses off the most losses and 2 off of being inside the top 4-5 most losses. Let’s settle down here a bit guys. They are 7 games back in the L column of the playoffs, that isn’t gonna happen. While exciting and young this roster has potential to only win 12ish more games the rest of the way.

The playoff part I definitely agree with. There's too much ground to make up. But, the part about the losses currently and how close they are to the bottom is not indicative of much. Most losses were without Niko and LaVine.

With the development of these guys already and what the upside CAN be, with a few of them.....The future looks very bright.

A ping pong ball gift would be amazing.

The final win total possibility is interesting.....

They've still got games with these teams.....

Home- Lakers, Magic, Mavericks, Grizzlies, Clippers, Hornets, Nets

Away- Hawks(2), Clippers, Kings, Nets(2), Hornets, Grizzlies, Knicks, Magic

17 of 38 remaining are against awful teams. I'll project 11-6 in that.

Along with those, they've got 3 left(1 at home) against Detroit, 2 left with Milwaukee(both at home) and 2 left with Philly(1 at home). I'll project 3-4 here.

For that matter, the only top 4 seeds in either conference left on the schedule are.....

Home- Warriors, Timberwolves, Raptors, Celtics, Cavs,

Away-Timberwolves, Celtics, Heat, Rockets

Those 9, I'll project 2-7.

That leaves 5 games.

Home- Wizards(2), Nuggets

Away-Pelicans, Trailblazers

I'll say 2-3 out of that.....

That'd be 18-20 out of what's left. 35-47 for the year. Out of the playoffs, probably out of the top 12.

I'd guess 24-14 and 41-41 probably gets the 8th seed.

With THAT schedule, health, and no trade offs.....Guess its possible, considering how well they're playing.

Bottom line is Niko and others need to go, if there's any shot at less than 30 wins.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:18 am

Regular Show wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Theyll finish like 10th. They're just gonna have to give plenty of playing time to that 10th pick so that he, expiring Lopez, lotto protected '19 pick and Portis or Valentine actually look like a good deal for disgruntled star player next deadline. That's the path. Or they make the playoffs and actially look like an awesome FA landing spot. Or they do get like 6th or 7th and get a pretty decent piece.

I don't think you're getting an impact player picking 6th or 7th this year. A decent player maybe, but we need impact players to really improve and contend down the road.

The top tier in this draft is only 4 or 5 players deep (M. Bagley III, D. Ayton, L. Doncic, M. Bamba, and maybe M. Porter Jr.) and after that you're getting solid rotation players/starters. That next tier of players probably aren't developing into impact players.

I do like T. Young and he is shooting the lights out in college right now. He is rising pretty fast.

Young is in the top group for sure. The second group for me, JJJ, Mk Bridges, and Bamba can all be excellent players too, in my mind. The 3rd group of 4, can all be very solid too. I'd say there's 12 starters. Then you get into role players. Obviously, there'll wind up being a few busts early and a few damn good players found late too. But, this is a very good draft and the Bulls CAN come out pretty good, without a top 5 guy.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:22 am

i think the future superstar might be on the roster already

but i'd much rather have a shot at another one than make the horsefeathering playoffs
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:25 am

Regular Show wrote:

Define impact.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:57 am

David wrote:i think the future superstar might be on the roster already

but i'd much rather have a shot at another one than make the horsefeathering playoffs

Big David Nwaba guy?
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:06 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Define impact.

Fair enough. A player who has the chance to make the All-Star Game a few times/make the All-NBA team (any of them) and be considered potentially a top 20-25 player in the league. Those players are hard to find, but they usually are top draft picks. You can occasionally get lucky and find them later in the draft (K. Leonard, J. Butler, P. George, etc.) but I don't trust this Bulls FO in terms of scouting and finding/developing those players.

They got super lucky with J. Butler. The Bulls have a lot of blind spots when it comes to scouting, and are maybe the least analytical team in the NBA.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:11 am

Regular Show wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Define impact.

Fair enough. A player who has the chance to make the All-Star Game a few times/make the All-NBA team (any of them) and be considered potentially a top 20-25 player in the league. Those players are hard to find, but they usually are top draft picks. You can occasionally get lucky and find them later in the draft (K. Leonard, J. Butler, P. George, etc.) but I don't trust this Bulls FO in terms of scouting and finding/developing those players.

They got super lucky with J. Butler. The Bulls have a lot of blind spots when it comes to scouting, and are maybe the least analytical team in the NBA.

I get bashing GarPax. I love doing it. But, this is a bit of an odd stance to take, considering they literally JUstT took Lauri at 7th.
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:29 am

davell wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Define impact.

I get bashing GarPax. I love doing it. But, this is a bit of an odd stance to take, considering they literally JUstT took Lauri at 7th.

A lot of teams liked L. Markkanen. It was a very deep draft. I think last year's draft was deeper in talent than this upcoming year's draft class. I mean every team would love to draft a 7' PF/C that can consistently shoot from outside.

Great pick and I really like L. Markkanen, but it's still questionable whether he will definitely develop into an "Impact Player" as I defined earlier.

Top 25 player in the NBA? He has a good chance to reach that status down the road, but it's not a certainty like when the Bulls drafted D. Rose.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:05 am

Regular Show wrote:
davell wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

A lot of teams liked L. Markkanen. It was a very deep draft. I think last year's draft was deeper in talent than this upcoming year's draft class. I mean every team would love to draft a 7' PF/C that can consistently shoot from outside.

Great pick and I really like L. Markkanen, but it's still questionable whether he will definitely develop into an "Impact Player" as I defined earlier.

Top 25 player in the NBA? He has a good chance to reach that status down the road, but it's not a certainty like when the Bulls drafted D. Rose.

I think that the 2017 class winds up being one of the better classes of all time. But, it wasn't thought of as anything special heading into it. At the time of the 2017 draft, Fultz and Ball would be the only 2 that'd be in the top 5 of this years class, at this moment.

As for Lauri, of course he's not guaranteed to be a top 20-25 guy. But, I'd bet most NBA guys think he does wind up there.

At 7, you're going to have a shot at Jackson Jr, the two Bridges, and Sexton. All 4 of those guys have big enough upside to where they can make the Bulls a much better team, than they are currently.
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:41 am

Regardless of what we think of this upcoming draft class the Bulls need to start trading vets and collecting assets. There is NO value in making a push for the playoffs and losing in the first-round. The Bulls should know how other teams feel about Niko by now, and pull the trigger and trade him for a draft pick.

Again, no one wants the Bulls to make the playoffs except for maybe GarPax and the players.
0 x

Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame

Postby Flames24Rulz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:33 pm

Regular Show wrote:Regardless of what we think of this upcoming draft class the Bulls need to start trading vets and collecting assets. There is NO value in making a push for the playoffs and losing in the first-round. The Bulls should know how other teams feel about Niko by now, and pull the trigger and trade him for a draft pick.

Again, no one wants the Bulls to make the playoffs except for maybe GarPax and the players.

Yep, exactly. Any time they want to trade Mirotic and Lopez sure would be nice.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:40 pm

I was hoping Niko would be gone on the 15th. But, maybe the offers aren't there yet?

No idea what to think about taking on longterm money in a Niko deal or not, at this point. You have to weigh that and whatever added value to the pick you'd be getting, versus having the cap space to add FA's next year, which may actually be worth looking in to.

I think I'd prefer just moving him for a pick, no long term money attached, but after looking thru teams, I'm not even seeing a deal like that available.

Lopez? I'd let him go for just the cap space. But again, I don't see a deal like that out there. And in his case, I wouldn't think teams are clamoring him now. He's a guy you can wait on until February 7th or 8th for, due to a very limited market.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Kawhi is out indefinitely, Gay is out thru January and the Spurs have the toughest remaining schedule in the NBA. Parker is an expiring and we could buy him out and he could even go back there, I guess.....

But, Parker and their 1st for Mirotic and Zipser seems like something that ought to be talked about immediately.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:06 pm

davell wrote: Parker is an expiring and we could buy him out and he could even go back there, I guess......

I think there is a rule against this now.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:11 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
davell wrote: Parker is an expiring and we could buy him out and he could even go back there, I guess......

I think there is a rule against this now.

I kind of wondered about that. Still, they could send Rudy Gay(expiring), who's out for a few more were, plus a scrub or two, and still be set up as the team we wouldn't need to take long term money back on.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:47 am

Absurd pace to this game

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:35 am

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:36 am

David wrote:

That's pretty funny. Never seen him do that before in a game. Was he upset about some non-call or something?
0 x

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:38 am

curry is the best offensive player in basketball by a lot
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”