2017-18 Bulls Thread - Fly the Tank W

davell
Hall of Fame

Re: 2017-18 Bulls Thread - Fly the Tank W

Postby davell » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:16 am

Up 17 with under 5 to go and lose? Yes. All day.

Lauri has so much more to his game than what people were thinking.

Gotta get rid of Niko, Lopez, Holiday, and Grant. They keep us in too many damn games.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:13 am

davell wrote:Up 17 with under 5 to go and lose? Yes. All day.

Lauri has so much more to his game than what people were thinking.

Gotta get rid of Niko, Lopez, Holiday, and Grant. They keep us in too many damn games.

Yeah, that was a weird game last night. Bulls should've won it at multiple points. They really need to trade those vets you mentioned and start tanking hard.

No glory in barely missing the playoffs...
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:37 am

Would you rather they maximize their value or simply move them to expedite the tank?
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:52 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Would you rather they maximize their value or simply move them to expedite the tank?

Honestly, if its a true either/or?

I'll expedite the tank. You're going to be lucky to get more than a top 20 pick for Niko. The others will bring even less.

Those pieces aren't LIKELY to wind up becoming much for us, in all honesty.

But, if you assured me that we'd pick top 6 by dealing(or even giving them away)them now? I'd do it. Because getting one of that group(I'm almost ready to add JJJ to this and make it 7) is far more important, than the return on our vets.

Niko ought to bring a 1st of some sort, but I keep thinking its going to be a 25-30ish pick. Like what Lou Williams got the Lakers. You can likely get a top 50 pick for Holiday. You can possibly unload the Lopez contract.

And there's probably going to be a team in need of a roster spot or two, that we can use the TPE(or some of it) on.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:25 am

9 or 10 is still the most likely place they end up, IMO. Is the incremental value to say 6 really worth not maximizing your assets? I don't think history tells you it is. You only get there by talking yourself into the bad logic of "this is a 6 man draft".

In reality, if you can maximize your value for Niko, Holiday, and Lopez in the off-season to a significant degree, you should do so. Granted that's a risk that the value never materializes, but dumping solely for the tank would be a bad idea.
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:54 am

They could still get in the top 6 with a little luck in the lottery. It would help if they tank their way into the top 5 so they have a better chance of staying there or even get in the top 3, but I'm not sure there's that BIG of a drop off in talent/potential from 6 to 8 or 10.

Another thing to think about is international players. There's alway seems to be 1 or 2 in the top 10 every year so that'll drop a guy or 2 down. I never go in depth with these guys so I don't know how good this year's class outside of US are.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:52 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:They could still get in the top 6 with a little luck in the lottery. It would help if they tank their way into the top 5 so they have a better chance of staying there or even get in the top 3, but I'm not sure there's that BIG of a drop off in talent/potential from 6 to 8 or 10.

Another thing to think about is international players. There's alway seems to be 1 or 2 in the top 10 every year so that'll drop a guy or 2 down. I never go in depth with these guys so I don't know how good this year's class outside of US are.

Luka Doncic plays for Real Madrid and could go #1 overall, so he's definitely being included.

The consensus seems to be fixating on a top 5 or 6 (Doncic, Porter, Ayton, Bagley, and Young and/or Bamba).

I don't know enough about the prospects to say what the drop off is, but after the top 2 or 3 of draft slots, I'd say historically the drop off of a couple picks isn't worth a tank effort that requires just dumping assets. I'm not even sure a top 3 pick is worth that, frankly.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:57 am

They're reporting that we likely can't get a 1st unless it's a 3 way trade and things are obviously a little more complicated when that's the case. I think it'll go down to the wire and I'm cool with that.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:04 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:9 or 10 is still the most likely place they end up, IMO. Is the incremental value to say 6 really worth not maximizing your assets? I don't think history tells you it is. You only get there by talking yourself into the bad logic of "this is a 6 man draft".

In reality, if you can maximize your value for Niko, Holiday, and Lopez in the off-season to a significant degree, you should do so. Granted that's a risk that the value never materializes, but dumping solely for the tank would be a bad idea.

Thats why I said a " true either/or". If it WAS, I'd tank to make sure I'm top 6(or 7 possibly). There's a true dropoff after that area. And I'd take the chance on that, rather than counting on a pick in the20's, that's 50/50 to even turn into a rotation piece.

I do think 6 is very obtainable. Maybe even 4, if you can move Niko, Lopez, and Holiday all before the deadline. The Hawks, Kings, and Magic aren't catchable. Everyone else is. But, with the schedule being easy, you've got to move more than just Niko. And Lopez or Holiday aren't bringing back anything truly helpful, so might as well move them and not worry too much about the return. Because the value IS more losses, by them not being around. And they're replaceable. Its a win-win.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:07 am

I'm watching the Bulls game (well really the 76ers game) and Lauri can really ball, even if he's not really on fire tonight. But he really needs to do one of those gordon hayward white boy glowups if he wants to take his game to the next level. He looks like a 2007 frat boy
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:10 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I'm watching the Bulls game (well really the 76ers game) and Lauri can really ball, even if he's not really on fire tonight. But he really needs to do one of those gordon hayward white boy glowups if he wants to take his game to the next level. He looks like a 2007 frat boy

Every time I watch the Bulls I think we re-signed luke schenscher but then he shows an ounce of athleticism and I remember we have Lauri
0 x
Win it for Fred

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:23 am

Well, that's Ben Simmons for you -- 19 pts, 17 Rebs, 14 Asts, 2 Blks. Incredible player, but again is not a great shooter.

The 76ers just need to hire a good shooting coach and have him practice shooting all day, and build up that muscle memory during the offseason. He's easily going to win Rookie of the Year.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:31 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I'm watching the Bulls game (well really the 76ers game) and Lauri can really ball, even if he's not really on fire tonight. But he really needs to do one of those gordon hayward white boy glowups if he wants to take his game to the next level. He looks like a 2007 frat boy

You gonna like the Bulls a little bit, if they get Trae?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 pm

edit - the quoted tweet is one by bobby portis joking about how nbc sports spelled his name wrong
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:13 am

I would've loved to see this new format for the All-Star game in the 90's when we had MJ and Pippen.

I would also love this new format when the whole feud between Shaq and Kobe was happening lol.

Next year, they need to televise the All-Star Draft so we can know who Lebron and Steph selected and in what order. They'll probably be the two Captains next year.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:23 am

these city jerseys are nice, I think i'm going to get a Lauri shirsey.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:08 am

please do not win this horsefeathering game, bulls
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:23 pm

The Bulls are losing to the Bucks right now. Bulls have a good losing streak going lol.

They're currently tied with Brooklyn for the eighth pick in next's year draft. Again, we really need to be picking in the top 5-6 in next year's draft to land an impact player.

Sidenote: Boogie Cousins going down with a torn Achilles really sucks for the Pelicans, and I wonder what their long-term plans are. Anthony Davis will be a FA in a couple years and they haven't really properly built a contender around him. They had a good team this year until this devastating injury. I'm sure they'll try to re-sign Cousins, but some players take a while to bounce back from tearing their Achilles.

Definitely another player the Bulls need to target if he ever becomes available, and illustrates why we need those high draft picks/trade assets.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:03 am

Davis is supposedly Ainge's wet dream. They have more ammo than anyone too.

Cousins is truly an interesting case at this point. He's one of my favorite players. But, what do you give him? Its rare for a big guy to go down with an ACL to begin with. Plus, he's not exactly known for being a hard worker.

He seemed to like New Orleans, I figured he was set. But now, he ain't getting a max. So, I'd say he's in play for anyone.

If you're the Bulls, do you roll the dice on him? Some team is going to, maybe even up to 4/100 or so. Do you take that risk? Or do you wait for something else? As a guy who doesn't think you're going to lure the big FA here, I think Cousins situation allows the Bulls to have a serious shot.

I'd do it, then hope whatever you draft this year, plus the other youngsters pan out and you contend in 2 years or so.
0 x

Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame

Postby Flames24Rulz » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:34 pm

davell wrote:Davis is supposedly Ainge's wet dream. They have more ammo than anyone too.

Cousins is truly an interesting case at this point. He's one of my favorite players. But, what do you give him? Its rare for a big guy to go down with an ACL to begin with. Plus, he's not exactly known for being a hard worker.

He seemed to like New Orleans, I figured he was set. But now, he ain't getting a max. So, I'd say he's in play for anyone.

If you're the Bulls, do you roll the dice on him? Some team is going to, maybe even up to 4/100 or so. Do you take that risk? Or do you wait for something else? As a guy who doesn't think you're going to lure the big FA here, I think Cousins situation allows the Bulls to have a serious shot.

I'd do it, then hope whatever you draft this year, plus the other youngsters pan out and you contend in 2 years or so.

you really don't think Boogie is getting a max? guys of his skill set don't grow on trees. even with an Achilles injury and possibly missing 1-2 months to start next season, I think he's absolutely still getting a max deal. and I'll go as far to say as I hope it's the Bulls that give it to him, even though I'm sure that's probably not going to happen.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:25 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:
davell wrote:Davis is supposedly Ainge's wet dream. They have more ammo than anyone too.

you really don't think Boogie is getting a max? guys of his skill set don't grow on trees. even with an Achilles injury and possibly missing 1-2 months to start next season, I think he's absolutely still getting a max deal. and I'll go as far to say as I hope it's the Bulls that give it to him, even though I'm sure that's probably not going to happen.

Man, I don't know. An ACL to big guys is fairly rare. There's not that many teams with cap space. I'm just not sure. I think he might have to settle for a bit less personally.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 am

davell wrote:
Flames24Rulz wrote:

Man, I don't know. An ACL to big guys is fairly rare. There's not that many teams with cap space. I'm just not sure. I think he might have to settle for a bit less personally.

not that it really makes things better, but it's an achilles, not ACL
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:29 am

David wrote:
davell wrote:
Flames24Rulz wrote:

Yeah its actually worse. the history of comebacks from achilles tears in the nba is not good.
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:49 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
David wrote:
davell wrote:

Yeah its actually worse. the history of comebacks from achilles tears in the nba is not good.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/1/27/ ... -the-worst

Here's a good article on Achilles recovery......

Damn. I'll definitely stand by my initial thought. He ain't getting a max right now. 4/100 seems high, in all honesty.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:17 pm

No idea if the pick is protected...they are into the playoffs by 2 games but not sure how they will play without Boogie
0 x
Win it for Fred

Return to “Other Sports”