2017-18 Bulls Thread - Fly the Tank W

davell
Hall of Fame

Re: 2017-18 Bulls Thread - Fly the Tank W

Postby davell » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:45 pm

Regular Show wrote:
davell wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:I want half of them traded for a better player.

I'm waiting a year, maybe two, before I start trying to make a trade like that. 1) Not sure if there's a guy even available 2) Boston has dibs on the 1st star on the block, unless we'd massively overpay to beat them.

I think you should factor in the input of said star player who is available. If AD ever becomes available he might want to come back to Chicago and play for his hometown team, or at least would prefer that. Giannis might want to come to Chicago because it's close to Milwaukee and I've heard he actually likes living there for some reason.

Boston can make the better trade offers right now, but those trade assets start depreciating. Like Bos is not getting the Laker's pick this year so that most likely means they're getting the Sac pick next year in a terrible draft class. They could still draft a good player, but I'd rather have a pick in this year's draft if I were the Celtics.

They do have a bunch of future draft picks from other teams. Not sure how great they'll end up being though. Bulls just need to keep accumulating good young players and actually draft players with their 2nd round picks instead of getting those "cash considerations"...

Eh, you're looking at this thru Chicago glasses. Seriously, do you think AD is going to tell New Orleans or Boston he'll only play in Chicago? Come on. That ain't factoring in. What likely does though? Is that he can win a title in Boston. At any rate, he's not going to make a play to be in Chicago. Giannis? Yeah, he likes it in Milwaukee. Because he doesn't want to be in a big city.

Not to mention, we're a long ways away from having the assets the Celtics do, whether they're depreciating or not.

Honestly, its a moot point. We need more youngsters and a bit better idea of EXACTLY what we have, before making any half cocked moves. The end of next season, we'll have a much better idea on what our guys can be.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:56 pm

The city of Chicago has proven time and time again what an invaluable draw it is for free agents in the NBA.
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:53 am

davell wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
davell wrote:
I'm waiting a year, maybe two, before I start trying to make a trade like that. 1) Not sure if there's a guy even available 2) Boston has dibs on the 1st star on the block, unless we'd massively overpay to beat them.

I think you should factor in the input of said star player who is available. If AD ever becomes available he might want to come back to Chicago and play for his hometown team, or at least would prefer that. Giannis might want to come to Chicago because it's close to Milwaukee and I've heard he actually likes living there for some reason.

Boston can make the better trade offers right now, but those trade assets start depreciating. Like Bos is not getting the Laker's pick this year so that most likely means they're getting the Sac pick next year in a terrible draft class. They could still draft a good player, but I'd rather have a pick in this year's draft if I were the Celtics.

They do have a bunch of future draft picks from other teams. Not sure how great they'll end up being though. Bulls just need to keep accumulating good young players and actually draft players with their 2nd round picks instead of getting those "cash considerations"...

Eh, you're looking at this thru Chicago glasses. Seriously, do you think AD is going to tell New Orleans or Boston he'll only play in Chicago? Come on. That ain't factoring in. What likely does though? Is that he can win a title in Boston. At any rate, he's not going to make a play to be in Chicago. Giannis? Yeah, he likes it in Milwaukee. Because he doesn't want to be in a big city.

Not to mention, we're a long ways away from having the assets the Celtics do, whether they're depreciating or not.

Honestly, its a moot point. We need more youngsters and a bit better idea of EXACTLY what we have, before making any half cocked moves. The end of next season, we'll have a much better idea on what our guys can be.

I agree that it's unlikely that AD or Giannis would demand a trade here to Chicago, but it's possible. Kobe had a short list of places he wanted to go and Chicago was at the top of the list. The Bulls almost traded for Kobe Bryant. Fans forget this or don't know how close it came to happening. Winning is the #1 priority, but Chicago is a great city with a passionate fanbase. Free agents don't really clamor to go to Boston, but they did land Hayward and Horford so clearly their FA pitch is working. To be fair, FAs haven't really been sold successfully on coming to Chicago either...

We need a better head coach and a better FO, but the city and the young players are appealing. In a couple years Chicago could be an attractive destination for FAs and players who want to be traded to a contender. I'm really not sold on Boston becoming some kind of juggernaut. They're good, and will be good for awhile but I think Philly has a brighter future in the East. We'll see.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:01 am

They legit tried to lose tonight as much as anyone could hope for..... Yet the result is we're now drafting 9th. Mikal Bridges or Wendell Carter. Which isn't bad, but its not what we were thinking in November, that's for sure.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:39 am

davell wrote:They legit tried to lose tonight as much as anyone could hope for..... Yet the result is we're now drafting 9th. Mikal Bridges or Wendell Carter. Which isn't bad, but its not what we were thinking in November, that's for sure.

Yeah, tonight's game was awful. I really wanted them to lose. It also sucks that the new anti-tanking measures go into effect next season. Our odds would be so much better for getting the #1 pick under that system.

I like Mikal Bridges, but that's a big dropoff (probably) from selecting Ayton or Bagley or Doncic.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:39 am

The anti-tanking rules that promote tanking? Those rules?
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Derwood wrote:The anti-tanking rules that promote tanking? Those rules?

I don't know if it promotes tanking necessarily. I get what you're saying though. The teams at the very bottom of the standings have less incentive to tank hard, but the teams in the 5-9 range have more incentive to stay there and not play better/tank.

0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:53 am

Huge tank W tonight, moved into 8th place.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:18 am

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

In this mock draft they have the Bulls selecting PG Trae Young. I wouldn't be happy with that selection. They have Sexton going one pick later to the Knicks.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:47 pm

Regular Show wrote:http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

In this mock draft they have the Bulls selecting PG Trae Young. I wouldn't be happy with that selection. They have Sexton going one pick later to the Knicks.

I would hate that selection. He might end up being good, but it seems to me like its much more likely that he's a inefficient high volume scorer.

But when you haven't tanked hard enough you are left a draft position where there isn't a high floor high ceiling guy available most likely.
0 x
Win it for Fred

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:19 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

I would hate that selection. He might end up being good, but it seems to me like its much more likely that he's a inefficient high volume scorer.

But when you haven't tanked hard enough you are left a draft position where there isn't a high floor high ceiling guy available most likely.

I've said it before, but if that's the way the top 7 fall out, give me Mikal Bridges. Best case scenario is Trae Young ends up as a smaller Jamal Crawford. Would be pretty much unplayable against any upper level point guard, and really don't want to waste that pick on some volume shooter backup PG.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:28 pm

squally1313 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

I've said it before, but if that's the way the top 7 fall out, give me Mikal Bridges. Best case scenario is Trae Young ends up as a smaller Jamal Crawford. Would be pretty much unplayable against any upper level point guard, and really don't want to waste that pick on some volume shooter backup PG.

Yeah, I would hope the Bulls take Mikal Bridges if the top 7 shakes out that way. I don't think Trae Young ends up being a bust, but I think it's a possibility with him.

Honestly, after that top 6-7 a lot of the players selected will end up being busts. I like Bridges because he has such a high floor and will at least be a rotation player.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:25 am

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Here's another mock draft I found that lets you simulate the lottery. I've done it a bunch of times so far and gotten the Bulls with the #1 pick once lol.

It doesn't seem to matter which team gets the #1 pick though. Every team selects DeAndre Ayton when they get the top pick. Ayton did not look good in the game in which Arizona got eliminated. My favorite prospect (Bagley) is still in the tournament, but I don't know how much he's helped his stock.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:34 am

squally1313 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

I think that’s a good comp for Young in Crawford. I don’t like him as a NBA prospect at all. What he can do you can find in FA every offseason for not a lot of money. I like Bridges a lot. He’ll be a solid nba player. The other guy I’m starting to like a lot for mid-late 1st round (maybe with the Pelicans pick for the Bulls or I hope he’s there when the Lakers pick) is Chandler Hutchinson from Boise St.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:29 am

I'm not really familiar with Chandler Hutchinson. I remember reading a small blurb about him.

It sucks that there isn't a lot of good international players in this draft that you can keep overseas and allow to develop like Mirotic.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:39 am

Regular Show wrote:I'm not really familiar with Chandler Hutchinson. I remember reading a small blurb about him.

It sucks that there isn't a lot of good international players in this draft that you can keep overseas and allow to develop like Mirotic.

He reminds me a bit of Kuzma. 4 year player, should be a good shooter and longer. He's maybe and inch or 2 shorter but has better ball skills and could probably play SG and probably has a little better potential on defense than Kuzma.

1 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:39 am

I'm definitely intrigued by his play. I'll watch some more video and read some scouting reports on Chandler Hutchinson. He doesn't seem super long or explosive. I wonder how much separation he could create against better defenders in the NBA. His outside shot looks really good and his ballhandling skills seem solid.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:05 am

UMFan83 wrote:

Well, you're not going to like this either. Here is another mock draft that has the Bulls selecting PG Trae Young. I hope it's just speculation right now. I could live with a rotation of LaVine, Dunn and Young at the G positions, but I'd rather take a talented forward/wing.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... young-more

It's an ESPN Insider article. Let me know if you guys are curious about where they have players going.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:21 am

So, with Lauri nursing his back, Dunn likely being shut down and LaVine very possibly being in the same spot....Can the Bulls lose out?

9 games left. At Houston is an L. A back to back at Miami and Orlando could easily be 2 L's as well. Washington and Charlotte at home are both losable, but the Charlotte game worries me somewhat. At Boston and home against the Nets follows that in another back to back. Then the Nets away and finishing at home versus Detroit, who's got nothing to play for to finish things off......

I see no more than 2 wins, very possibly 1 or even none. Brooklyn has no reason to tank, but they suck. Detroit in game 82 is scary, considering they've got nothing to play for either.

Sacramento is at 24 wins too and has Dallas at home, with Phoenix and Memphis on the road, both trying to finish last. They've also got a home game against a Steph-less Warriors team, that they'll be trying to win and get Houston last, in a game Houston will be resting guys..... Surely, this is good for 2-3 wins.

Brooklyn has the home and home versus the Bulls, plus a home game versus Detroit, a road game in Orlando, and finish in Boston, who will be resting guys too. At 23 wins, if they sweep us, we'll finish ahead of them.

Dallas is at 22. They've got road games in Orlando and Sacramento, which realistically, we probably need them to lose. They've got Phoenix and Detroit at home though. They need to win those 2 and win in LA, against the Lakers, or pull out a home game against Minnesota or Portland somehow.

Orlando is at 22 as well. They've got Brooklyn and the Bulls at home, followed by the Hawks and Knicks on the road. All are winnable, I think I'd guess they take 3 of those actually. Then they get Dallas and Charlotte at home too. It looks like they should win 4 of that total 6.

If these things happen, the Bulls could wind up picking 4th, behind only Phoenix, Memphis, and Atlanta.

Not all of this will happen, but I feel fairly solid they'll pass at least a couple of teams here. Probably Sacramento and Orlando. With the home and home deciding Brooklyn. Dallas looks to me to be the toughest to pass. But, 5th or 6th seems very, very doable, at least with a 1-8 showing. Lose out and 4th is very possible though.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:05 pm

I hope the Bulls can lose as many games as possible to close out the season...

The most frustrating thing looking at the standings is Brooklyn. Every other horsefeathers team is trying to tank and play poorly on purpose. Brooklyn doesn't even own their draft pick and isn't tanking; they just suck. That Paul Pierce/KG trade has to go down as one of the most lopsided trades in NBA history.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:17 am

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2292 ... me-absence

So #1 pick Markelle Fultz finally made his return for the Phillies. Not sure what his shot looks like now. In the video clip in the link it looked fine. Hopefully, he can return to being the same dynamic player he was in college.

EDIT: Sorry, meant to put this in the general NBA thread.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:54 pm

Regular Show wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22923343/markelle-fultz-philadelphia-76ers-scores-10-return-68-game-absence

So #1 pick Markelle Fultz finally made his return for the Phillies. Not sure what his shot looks like now. In the video clip in the link it looked fine. Hopefully, he can return to being the same dynamic player he was in college.

The switch to baseball is going to be a big jump. Let's see if he does better than Jordan did.
4 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:15 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22923343/markelle-fultz-philadelphia-76ers-scores-10-return-68-game-absence

The switch to baseball is going to be a big jump. Let's see if he does better than Jordan did.

I'm totally lost by your reaponse lol. I don't know what this means...

Edit: Nevermind. Haha, I see it now. I wrote Phillies instead of the 76ers.
Last edited by Regular Show on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:17 pm

Regular Show wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

I'm shocked.
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:19 pm

David wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:The switch to baseball is going to be a big jump. Let's see if he does better than Jordan did.

I'm shocked.

I am lost and confused by many of the references and jokes you guys make. It's hard to follow sometimes lol. I corrected myself. I get the Jordan comeback joke now.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”