2017-18 Bulls Thread - Fly the Tank W

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Re: 2017-18 Bulls Thread - Fly the Tank W

Postby Named After Maddux » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:07 pm

Bulls win tiebreaker with Kings so they’re set for 6th pending lottery. The Pelicans pick is 22nd.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:52 pm

At this point, I've got it in these tiers.....

Ayton

Bagley, Doncic

Porter, Bamba

JJJ, Mikal Bridges, Carter, Young

It'd be awesome to move into the top 3. Lots have JJJ in a higher tier than I do, but I'm fine with any of that tier at 6(or 7,8,9)
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:55 pm

Should we start a separate offseason thread?

Is resigning Lavine a sure thing? Should it be? I checked out a while* ago.

*circa 2015
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:05 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Should we start a separate offseason thread?

Is resigning Lavine a sure thing? Should it be? I checked out a while* ago.

*circa 2015

He'll resign for sure. They want him back and he wants to be back.

There's only 7 or 8 teams that even have cap space this off-season though. So he may not be able to get a long term offer sheet from another team...... Which means he can take a relatively lowball deal from us, or sign his tender....

Personally, I think 4/60ish is fair. But, I'll guess he gets 4/72 to 4/88, if we give him a long term deal.

Should we bring him back? Some say no. But, in the position we're in, I'd say absolutely. His cap number isn't even a deterrent. I wish we had more of a look at him this year, but he'll be fully recovered next year and likely take a jump.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:32 am

davell wrote:At this point, I've got it in these tiers.....

Ayton

Bagley, Doncic

Porter, Bamba

It'd be awesome to move into the top 3. Lots have JJJ in a higher tier than I do, but I'm fine with any of that tier at 6(or 7,8,9)

I still believe Bagley is the best player in this draft class. I think most execs and scouts would categorize it as Doncic and Ayton as Tier 1. Then Bagley, Jackson Jr., Bamba, and Mikal Bridges as Tier 2. Bridges has improved his stock a lot and is rising. Trae Young is falling and Porter is an unknown at this point.

I want the Bulls to trade up for Bagley if they don't get lucky and move up in the lottery. I'd also be fine with taking Mikal Bridges at #6.
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:43 am

Bridges over Porter? No thanks.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:09 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:Bridges over Porter? No thanks.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.2 ... 1504777008

They have Mikal Bridges ranked all the way up to 4 behind Doncic, Ayton and Jackson Jr. On ESPN's Top 100 Ranking they have Michael Porter at 7 and Mikal Bridges at 10, so not a big gap there.

I like Porter, but I don't know where he is in his recovery and/or what might show up on his physical. He also barely played this year. I'm sure he will take part in pre-draft workouts so we'll know a lot more closer to the draft.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:15 am

LaVine better get back to at least shooting well because otherwise he doesn't bring anything special to the table and seems wholly replaceable to me.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:17 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:LaVine better get back to at least shooting well because otherwise he doesn't bring anything special to the table and seems wholly replaceable to me.

With so few teams having money this offseason it robs LT makes sense to let him see what offers he gets since they can always match (he’s restricted, right?). No need to outbid yourself.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:50 pm

Ayton

Bagley, Doncic

Porter, Bamba

I like Sexton and Miles Bridges more than Carter and Young.

Ayton

Bagley, Doncic

Porter, Jackson

Bamba, Mikal, Miles, Sexton

Carter, Young
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:13 pm

rawaction wrote:

Ayton

Bagley, Doncic

Porter, Bamba

Ayton

Bagley, Doncic

Porter, Jackson

Carter, Young

I can be swayed into Sexton over Young. I think he's going to be a solid NBA starter. Ceiling versus floor argument there is an interesting one.

Honestly though, I wouldn't take Miles Bridges inside the top 12. To me, he's a tweener. I don't see him being a starter in the NBA.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:28 pm

davell wrote:
rawaction wrote:

Ayton

Bagley, Doncic

Porter, Bamba

Ayton

Bagley, Doncic

Porter, Jackson

Carter, Young

I can be swayed into Sexton over Young. I think he's going to be a solid NBA starter. Ceiling versus floor argument there is an interesting one.

Honestly though, I wouldn't take Miles Bridges inside the top 12. To me, he's a tweener. I don't see him being a starter in the NBA.

Tweeters aren't a thing anymore I thought.
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:09 pm

davell wrote:
rawaction wrote:

Ayton

Bagley, Doncic

Porter, Bamba

Ayton

Bagley, Doncic

Porter, Jackson

Carter, Young

I keep seeing this (here, other articles, friends, etc.) and they said the same thing about Draymond Green. He got a "tweener" size, but he got a well rounded game that plays on both ends of the court. Not saying Miles will be Green 2.0. Miles reminds me of a young Andre Iguodala with a better shooting stroke.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:18 pm

I just don't think he's going to be successful in the NBA. He's not able to create his own shot, despite being so athletic. His shooting stroke is slow too. I think he's a bench guy. Him and Kevin Knox are the 2 guys in this draft that are going to likely to top 15, that I'm dead set against. ( with our own pick). If they tell to the 15-20 range and you moved back up for one of them, that's fine.
0 x

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:31 am

So, if the NBA rigs the lottery for Bulls again, what are everyone's thoughts on Ayton vs. Doncic vs. Bagley for the Bulls? Is the gap between Ayton and those two really so wide, or is there a realistic chance they would go Doncic or Bagley #1 overall?
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:56 am

Outshined_One wrote:So, if the NBA rigs the lottery for Bulls again, what are everyone's thoughts on Ayton vs. Doncic vs. Bagley for the Bulls? Is the gap between Ayton and those two really so wide, or is there a realistic chance they would go Doncic or Bagley #1 overall?

I've told my close friends that I feel like Paxson and the Bulls franchise gets a hard-on for Duke players. Look up the history of this franchise and our obsession with drafting/signing players from that school. We signed Carlos Boozer. We wanted to sign JJ Redick back in the day... the Bulls drafted Chris Duhon and Elton Brand and Luol Deng and Jay Williams. The Bulls have been rumored to have interest in other Duke players in previous drafts too.

Personally, I feel like many Duke players are overrated and overhyped. I also hate Duke and most players that choose to go there. That said, I do love Marvin Bagley and think he's a special player who will improve a lot once he joins the league. He's my favorite prospect in this draft class.

I think Doncic is overrated. His production in Europe is pretty special for how young he is, but he's going to have difficulty playing defense in the NBA. I think he's the third or fourth best prospect in this draft.

Ayton is a special talent and probably the best two-way player in the draft. I like Bagley more, but Ayton is very good and much better defensively.

I've heard Patrick Ewing as a comp for Ayton. He should go #1.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:37 pm

As a UNC fan/alum, it's easy for me to hate Duke guys obviously. I'm not sure I love the fit with Bagley joining Lauri on the front line.... Who's guarding the 5? I'd guess Lauri. But, we'd have some deficiencies for sure.

Offensively though? Damn, we'd be fun. Bagley's motor is going to make him an extremely successful NBA player.

I think I've got him over Doncic. But, it's close. I do think Doncic is a slightly better fit for us and I do think he's going to be a really good NBA player. That said, I question his shooting stroke. He's athletic enough, in my mind, but I'm a bit concerned he's not going to shoot it well enough to be a consistent AS level player. (And yeah, I do think Bagley becomes one)

Ayton? I think he's a damn beast. Period. He's clear cut, in my mind, as the top player in the class.

Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, in that order.......

And if we wind up with any of the 3, I think the Bulls contend for a playoff spot next year, with no other additions.

They're not dealing Portis, but it it took him and the Pels pick, to move up to grab any of these3, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
0 x

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:22 pm

davell wrote:
They're not dealing Portis, but it it took him and the Pels pick, to move up to grab any of these3, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

pretty sure portis and our own pick let alone the pels pick doesn't do the job if we end up with the 6th pick
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:29 pm

SpongeWorthy wrote:
davell wrote:

pretty sure portis and our own pick let alone the pels pick doesn't do the job if we end up with the 6th pick

Eh, there's at least a chance one of this group makes it to 4. Someone could easily fall out of love with Bagley or Doncic and see them drop a spot of two. In fact, I kind of doubt that they actually go 1-3. To move up a spot of 2? I think it's pretty fair.

Again, it's quibbling, we're evidently trying to lock Portis up longterm.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:34 pm

Watching the playoffs this weekend makes me mad that we just started our rebuild. The bulls have been mostly unwatchable for 3 seasons now, I’m getting antsy for a relevant team again and my guess is we are still a few years off.
0 x
Win it for Fred

bcl412
Superstar

Postby bcl412 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:48 am

UMFan83 wrote:Watching the playoffs this weekend makes me mad that we just started our rebuild. The bulls have been mostly unwatchable for 3 seasons now, I’m getting antsy for a relevant team again and my guess is we are still a few years off.

The Wolves are pretty much a Bulls throwback team so just watch them
1 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:52 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/lottery2018/mockdraft

The ESPN draft lottery simulator is up for anyone who wants to try it. So far I've gotten the Bulls selecting Doncic at #2, Jackson Jr. at #3 and Trae Young/Wendell Carter (ugh) at #6. They select Ayton when they get the #1 pick like every team.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 pm

Regular Show wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/lottery2018/mockdraft

The ESPN draft lottery simulator is up for anyone who wants to try it. So far I've gotten the Bulls selecting Doncic at #2, Jackson Jr. at #3 and Trae Young/Wendell Carter (ugh) at #6. They select Ayton when they get the #1 pick like every team.

On the 2nd try I got the Bulls taking Ayton at #1.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:53 pm

Old Style wrote:
Regular Show wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/lottery2018/mockdraft

On the 2nd try I got the Bulls taking Ayton at #1.

Weird I got the bulls taking Ayton at 2 with the Suns taking Doncic
0 x
Win it for Fred

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:04 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Watching the playoffs this weekend makes me mad that we just started our rebuild. The bulls have been mostly unwatchable for 3 seasons now, I’m getting antsy for a relevant team again and my guess is we are still a few years off.

The Bulls were way too watchable this year for everyone's tastes, even when they were losing (until the end when they really got their shut-down on). Like, that was the storyline all year... "I can't believe how watchable this team that was supposed to be awful is!"

Anyway, I think they'll be relevant next year and fun to watch. Lauri is really horsefeathering good and was really balling out toward the end. Without looking too hard at what's out there free agent wise, they'll probably make some improvements there + what should be at least a contributing rookie given their draft slot (if they don't luck into something better than that). Then there's Dunn, Portis, and whatever Lavine is. I wish they'd lost more of those games that really swung their draft position, but either way I feel pretty decent about where they are going forward.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Return to “Other Sports”