Week 11: John Fox*s Bears vs Detroit Sunday noon on Fox

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Week 11: John Fox*s Bears vs Detroit Sunday noon on Fox

Postby David » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:22 pm

It's good to start seeing Shaheen actually getting a little involved.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:40 pm

God our kicker horsefeathering sucks. That last fg wasnt even close
1 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:42 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:It's really somewhat amazing how good this team is at losing. Blowout losses. Close losses. Comeback losses. Predicable losses. Unexpected losses.

It takes all kinds.

To be fair, the Bears are only a dropped pass, blown coverage, miscommunication getting the defense lined up correctly, late INT, blown TD call, bad challenge, and a missed FG away from probably losing 5 games in overtime.
10 x

r_mack
Role Player

Postby r_mack » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:53 pm

The thing about Trubisky that I liked coming out of college was his accuracy and that has not been there so far. I want to see him with a new coach and with weapons but I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned with him. The scramble was awesome though.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:58 pm

r_mack wrote:The thing about Trubisky that I liked coming out of college was his accuracy and that has not been there so far. I want to see him with a new coach and with weapons but I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned with him. The scramble was awesome though.

I have a lot of concerns about mitch and at the same time think they are unfair because of how awful his coaches and teammates are, which doesn't make me any more confortable about his future.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:01 pm

r_mack wrote:The thing about Trubisky that I liked coming out of college was his accuracy and that has not been there so far. I want to see him with a new coach and with weapons but I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned with him. The scramble was awesome though.

Eh. He has completed 60% of his passes the last 2 weeks with 4 or 5 drops. He's playing with a middle school playbook and his best WR was picked up in a trade for a conditional 7th round pick 3 weeks ago. If you are concerned with him personally, it's because it's because you had unreasonable expectations.
1 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Mitch has some things to clean up with his base and footwork and we will see a big drop in those air balls.

I really believe in the arm.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:40 pm

My worry about mitch is if we dont get him some help on the field and on the coaching staff, we will end up with more of a Mark Sanchez then an Aaron Rodgers
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:42 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Mitch has some things to clean up with his base and footwork and we will see a big drop in those air balls.

Yeah, he definitely feels pressure that isn't there at times. Only was sacked once (only time they were really close) and it was his fault for that weird early scramble right into the line. Obviously, he had some sacks that were his fault last week. He had the unnecessary back foot throw incomplete to Wheaton on 3rd and 9. He didn't set for a couple other throws. But I think that will come in time. Actually, having WRs he has some confidence in will really help. I think he feels OK about the OL, but my guess is he feels like he has a small window to get the ball to his receivers before the defense recovers, causing some rushed passes.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:My worry about mitch is if we dont get him some help on the field and on the coaching staff, we will end up with more of a Mark Sanchez then an Aaron Rodgers

Don't have to worry about that after 6 more weeks. I don't think this year means anything other than getting him some experience in actual game time. He doesn't really have horrible habits and doesn't seem to be mentally fragile where this season will be branded on him long-term.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:45 pm

I think a reason for that is him learning how to take the snap under center and drop back and plant his feet before throwing. He’s used to shotgun 95% of the time and that’s a whole different rhythm to throwing. Once he gets more comfortable dropping back I think his accuracy goes up. You heard the announcers today point out several times which foot he was planting before throwing.

That said I haven’t seen many perfectly placed throws (Though I might be remembering poorly) You’d hope to see more flashes of that.
0 x
Win it for Fred

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:49 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

I think a reason for that is him learning how to take the snap under center and drop back and plant his feet before throwing. He’s used to shotgun 95% of the time and that’s a whole different rhythm to throwing. Once he gets more comfortable dropping back I think his accuracy goes up. You heard the announcers today point out several times which foot he was planting before throwing.

That said I haven’t seen many perfectly placed throws (Though I might be remembering poorly) You’d hope to see more flashes of that.

Beyond the mechanics of the dropback, I think he isn't processing D's fast enough to set his feet and make accurate throws.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:57 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Beyond the mechanics of the dropback, I think he isn't processing D's fast enough to set his feet and make accurate throws.

Eh. I think that was the case early on, but he's been a lot better the last 2 weeks (since the bye). And perfect placement is the quite the bar to set for Mitch in 6 games. He's made plenty of really good throws in tight windows (all the ones to Shaheen today for example) to some pretty horsefeathers receivers.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:57 pm

Just for fun, Trestman and Fox have combined to go 25-49 in 4.5 years. Lovie didn’t lose his 49th game until his 8th season (64-49).

Not implying really anything, just pointing out how incredibly bad we’ve been.
1 x
Win it for Fred

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:59 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Just for fun, Trestman and Fox have combined to go 25-49 in 4.5 years. Lovie didn’t lose his 49th game until his 8th season (64-49).

Lovie (autotranslates to livid) was good but left a lot to be desired and the bears were right to move on after nearly a decade, but did a horrible job replacing him. Lovie was so much better than some give him credit for, though.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Week 11: John Fox*s Bears vs Detroit Sunday noon on Fox

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 am

rawaction wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Mitch has some things to clean up with his base and footwork and we will see a big drop in those air balls.

Yeah, he definitely feels pressure that isn't there at times. Only was sacked once (only time they were really close) and it was his fault for that weird early scramble right into the line. Obviously, he had some sacks that were his fault last week. He had the unnecessary back foot throw incomplete to Wheaton on 3rd and 9. He didn't set for a couple other throws. But I think that will come in time. Actually, having WRs he has some confidence in will really help. I think he feels OK about the OL, but my guess is he feels like he has a small window to get the ball to his receivers before the defense recovers, causing some rushed passes.
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Agree with all of this. The game is just a little fast for him right now but it's encouraging that the things he needs to work on are pretty minor all things considered and are largely a product of experience. Like at least you can see all the makings are there to be a high quality QB. Just a lot of throws today that he wishes he could have back.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:12 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Just for fun, Trestman and Fox have combined to go 25-49 in 4.5 years. Lovie didn’t lose his 49th game until his 8th season (64-49).

Lovie (autotranslates to livid) was good but left a lot to be desired and the bears were right to move on after nearly a decade, but did a horrible job replacing him. Lovie was so much better than some give him credit for, though.

I think he was an acceptable coach but was one that came on board to a young crop of very good to elite defensive talent which happened to fit the scheme he brought in perfectly. He did a good job executing that system and bringing in (via Angelo) pieces to supplement the core and obviously his reputation as a players coach was well deserved.
0 x
Win it for Fred

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: RE: Re: Week 11: John Fox*s Bears vs Detroit Sunday noon on Fox

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:15 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
rawaction wrote:

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Agree with all of this. The game is just a little fast for him right now but it's encouraging that the things he needs to work on are pretty minor all things considered and are largely a product of experience. Like at least you can see all the makings are there to be a high quality QB. Just a lot of throws today that he wishes he could have back.

For a rookie QB with just 13 college starts, I’m kind of amazed that he only has 2 interceptions in 6 starts.
1 x
Win it for Fred

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:48 am

I think Trubisky's gotten pretty lucky with interceptions. He's hit a lot of defenders' hands.

But today was his best game so far and I'm encouraged by the progress I'm seeing. He made noticeably higher percentage of quick, accurate reads than we've seen before.
2 x

r_mack
Role Player

Postby r_mack » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:41 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Lovie was an okay coach at best that benefited from a ton of defensive talent. He wasn't very good at Tampa Bay and he's been a walking disaster in Champaign.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:48 am

Any word on Floyd?
0 x

r_mack
Role Player

Postby r_mack » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:16 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:Any word on Floyd?

@ProFootballDoc seems to think it might be an MCL tear but the Bears seem to think it's worse than that.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Mitch will be fine. I've seen him make amazing pass after amazing pass in college. Don't forget that lots of QBs start out slow in the NFL - much less one with so little college football experience as him. Peyton was horrendous in his first season for the Colts.

Now that I've - once again - complimented a Tar Hell if you'll excuse me I'll go take a shower to scrub myself clean again.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm happy with what I've seen from Trubisky so far. He needs a ton of help on offense and the whole coaching staff needs to go, though.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:08 pm

posting this just bc i was curious where he stacked up and looked up a few recent high picks in their first 5 starts (maybe not super revelatory, admittedly)

completion% / TD:INT, ypa, ay/a, rush, yds, td
Prescott: 69%, 4:0, 7.99 ypa, 9.51 ay/a, 19- 61-3 (101.5 qb rating)
C. Wentz: 65%, 7:0, 7.55 ypa, 8.16 ay/a, 13- 37-0 (99.9)
Mariota: 64%, 9:5, 7.70 ypa, 7.42 ay/a, 10- 72-0 (93.2)
Winston: 57%, 7:7, 7.72 ypa, 6.57 ay/a, 20- 62-1 (77.6)
Trubisky: 51%, 3:2, 7.03 ypa, 6.77 ay/a, 15-110-0 (75.6)
J. Goff: 55%, 4:5, 5.46 ypa, 4.56 ay/a, 6 - 12-1 (65.7)
Kizer: 51%, 3:9, 5.35 ypa, 3.18 ay/a, 12-126-2 (49.5)
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”