FREE DA JERSEY - Week 15 Bears @ Lions, Saturday Afternoon for some reason 3:30 PM CT, NFL-N

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Re: FREE DA JERSEY - Week 15 Bears @ Lions, Saturday Afternoon for some reason 3:30 PM CT, NFL-N

Postby rawaction » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:53 am

25 seasons since Ditka was fired.
10 seasons with 10 or more losses (4 in a row)
5 seasons with playoff berths

3 of those playoff seasons and just 1 of those double digit loss seasons (his 1st season) came under Lovie Smith.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Re: FREE DA JERSEY - Week 15 Bears @ Lions, Saturday Afternoon for some reason 3:30 PM CT, NFL-N

Postby rawaction » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:54 am

davell wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:https://twitter.com/greggabe/status/942185028750139392

It'd be really hard to continue watching, if that happened.

Be the easiest decision I ever made to stop watching this team and probably football in general.
2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

FREE DA JERSEY - Week 15 Bears @ Lions, Saturday Afternoon for some reason 3:30 PM CT, NFL-N

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:03 am

I cant believe Loggains would get that position, but ownership of this team is really stupid so who knows
0 x

r_mack
Role Player

Postby r_mack » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:55 am

rawaction wrote:25 seasons since Ditka was fired.

3 of those playoff seasons and just 1 of those double digit loss seasons (his 1st season) came under Lovie Smith.

Is this a "The Bears shouldn't have fired Lovie" take? Because that's not a good take.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:59 am

r_mack wrote:

Is this a "The Bears shouldn't have fired Lovie" take? Because that's not a good take.
if it's a "lovie was much better than most give him credit for" take I'm on board.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:27 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
r_mack wrote:

if it's a "lovie was much better than most give him credit for" take I'm on board.

Lovie overplayed his power after the super bowl lost, never settled the qb position, rode the cover 2 past our ability to supply it with talent, and hasnt been able to repeat that success since he was fired. He was clearly the best coach we've had since Ditka/Ryan, but to long for the days of Lovie is just revisionist. Would I take him over Fox? yes. Would I bring him back? no.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:33 am

and if you think Trubisky looked off today, check out Rivers against KC.
0 x

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:16 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
r_mack wrote:

the bears don't get enough credit for how largely pathetic they've been in the Super Bowl era
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:20 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
r_mack wrote:Is this a "The Bears shouldn't have fired Lovie" take? Because that's not a good take.

Lovie overplayed his power after the super bowl lost, never settled the qb position, rode the cover 2 past our ability to supply it with talent, and hasnt been able to repeat that success since he was fired. He was clearly the best coach we've had since Ditka/Ryan, but to long for the days of Lovie is just revisionist. Would I take him over Fox? yes. Would I bring him back? no.

the defense was very good through the end of his tenure

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2012
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:41 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
r_mack wrote:Is this a "The Bears shouldn't have fired Lovie" take? Because that's not a good take.

Most of this is true, and yet they've had much worse head coaches since then.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:01 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:if it's a "lovie was much better than most give him credit for" take I'm on board.

Most of this is true, and yet they've had much worse head coaches since then.

I don’t mean to say i hated Lovie as a coach, he was a very good coach. And Trestman and Fox both sucked coaching the Bears mightily. But even John Fox made it to more super bowls and has repeated his level of success on multiple teams. I miss the teams of the Lovie Smith era. I don’t really miss Lovie that much.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:19 pm

r_mack wrote:

Not at all. Just pointing out that the Bears have been bad for 25 years, and that even includes a 9-year stint of decent football.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:35 pm

rawaction wrote:
r_mack wrote:

Not at all. Just pointing out that the Bears have been bad for 25 years, and that even includes a 9-year stint of decent football.

Also, the Bears shouldn't have fired Lovie.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:39 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
rawaction wrote:

It was a stupid decision. Weren't they 10-6 that year? But Emery's gotta get his man! Emery was the biggest mistake this org has made in the last 32 years.
0 x

r_mack
Role Player

Postby r_mack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:59 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
rawaction wrote:

Lovie is pretty much John Fox
0 x

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:36 am

r_mack wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
rawaction wrote:

The players had a lot of respect for Lovie and always played hard for him. And they typically played disciplined football. I don’t see that with Fox.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:46 am

r_mack wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
rawaction wrote:

I couldn't think of two coaches who had more differences in their career paths. well maybe I could, but your statement is drunk-man talk
0 x

r_mack
Role Player

Postby r_mack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
r_mack wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

I couldn't think of two coaches who had more differences in their career paths. well maybe I could, but your statement is drunk-man talk

Both ultra conservative coaches who have had the game pass them by. Lovie was forced to go to Champaign because there wasn't a job for him in the NFL.
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:08 am

i think i would trade the bears next four first round picks for sean mcvay
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:31 am

Butterscup wrote:i think i would trade the bears next four first round picks for sean mcvay

Sameeee
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:04 am

All the more reason to forget about Lovie and the past. We have young talent on the offensive side of the ball and a gm willing to draft for both it and the Oline. Im not done with Pace
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:08 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:All the more reason to forget about Lovie and the past. We have young talent on the offensive side of the ball and a gm willing to draft for both it and the Oline. Im not done with Pace

This team is well below talentwise where they should be under Pace. If they cleaned house, I would not be upset. Of course, the same people would be making the decision as to whom to hire next.

I think at this point, there is a slightly greater case to fire Pace than to keep him.
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:42 am

UK wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:All the more reason to forget about Lovie and the past. We have young talent on the offensive side of the ball and a gm willing to draft for both it and the Oline. Im not done with Pace

This team is well below talentwise where they should be under Pace. If they cleaned house, I would not be upset. Of course, the same people would be making the decision as to whom to hire next.

I think at this point, there is a slightly greater case to fire Pace than to keep him.
i think the case is reasonably in favor of keeping him, but would not be upset if he was replaced. If you did replace him, then Mitchell becomes somebody else's problem, and the next guy will be allowed to start from scratch at qb again in 2-3 years. Pace has his guy and should get one shot to win in 2018. There's no excuse for this team to be this weak and bereft of talent this far into his tenure. This isn't baseball when it takes 4-6 years to develop prospects. The NFL allows for yearly roster turnover and three years in this is entirely Pace's team. This isn't Emerys fault anymore.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:29 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
UK wrote:

i think the case is reasonably in favor of keeping him, but would not be upset if he was replaced. If you did replace him, then Mitchell becomes somebody else's problem, and the next guy will be allowed to start from scratch at qb again in 2-3 years. Pace has his guy and should get one shot to win in 2018. There's no excuse for this team to be this weak and bereft of talent this far into his tenure. This isn't baseball when it takes 4-6 years to develop prospects. The NFL allows for yearly roster turnover and three years in this is entirely Pace's team. This isn't Emerys fault anymore.

Fwiw, I think Pace will be back. I can't imagine year 4 being that much of an improvement to where you can justify bringing him back for off-season #5. It is disappointing that Mitchell's 1st two years of a cost controlled rookie contract will consist of a lame duck coach in year 1 and a lame duck GM in year 2.

I have no reason to be confident in Pace turning this thing around after 3 bad years and an already failed coaching staff his 1st time through.
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:57 pm

UK wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
UK wrote:

Fwiw, I think Pace will be back. I can't imagine year 4 being that much of an improvement to where you can justify bringing him back for off-season #5. It is disappointing that Mitchell's 1st two years of a cost controlled rookie contract will consist of a lame duck coach in year 1 and a lame duck GM in year 2.

I have no reason to be confident in Pace turning this thing around after 3 bad years and an already failed coaching staff his 1st time through.

If Mitch is any good, they should at least contend for playoff position in 2018. Probably won't go from 4-12 to 10-6, but at least flirt with 9-7 and show actual improvement. If they can't manage that, then he's gotta be gone.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”