Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:28 am

David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:White is lost money either way, but he is additional lost cap too by doing anything other than keeping him on the roster for now. Basically he's around by default until he gets outplayed by 53 other guys. Maybe they're super confident in his health, but even healthy that would be dumb. So... maybe just wishful thinking again on my part, but he's just a weird spaceholder to me.

They (pace) took him #4 pick overall. How is his potential weird??

just because he had potential in 2015 doesn't mean he has much of it left now

even when he's been healthy he has looked entirely unimpressive on the field...and i don't just mean numbers. he doesn't flash anything.
He's played 5 games
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:31 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

even when he's been healthy he has looked entirely unimpressive on the field...and i don't just mean numbers. he doesn't flash anything.
He's played 5 games

That doesn't help any argument in favor of him.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:31 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:White is lost money either way, but he is additional lost cap too by doing anything other than keeping him on the roster for now. Basically he's around by default until he gets outplayed by 53 other guys. Maybe they're super confident in his health, but even healthy that would be dumb. So... maybe just wishful thinking again on my part, but he's just a weird spaceholder to me.

7th FWIW

What stands out to me here, is that Nagy must have felt Meredith wasn't irreplaceable. I have to think he would have made his voice heard here and had Pace bring him back. It was just a poor gamble on Pace's behalf.

Poor gamble? He chose not to sign him. It wasn't a gamble.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:34 am

David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

He's played 5 games

def not enough time for him to do stuff like look at all fast or athletic

it also doesn't help his case in any way that he has barely played football since 2014.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:34 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
7th FWIW

What stands out to me here, is that Nagy must have felt Meredith wasn't irreplaceable. I have to think he would have made his voice heard here and had Pace bring him back. It was just a poor gamble on Pace's behalf.

Poor gamble? He chose not to sign him. It wasn't a gamble.
I think not tendering him for a 2nd rounder was a mistake
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:38 am

David wrote:
David wrote:

He's played 5 games

it also doesn't help his case in any way that he has barely played football since 2014.

Please don't tell me you can judge a WR's ability in 5 games. And since he hadn't played in 2 years then it's no surprise that he played tentative and looked lost at times. That will often make a player play slow.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:43 am

David wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:He's played 5 games

Please don't tell me you can judge a WR's ability in 5 games. And since he hadn't played in 2 years then it's no surprise that he played tentative and looked lost at times. That will often make a player play slow.

A guy who hasn't played in 2 years often looks tentative and slow. How about a guy who hasn't played in 3 years?
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:40 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
David wrote:

A guy who hasn't played in 2 years often looks tentative and slow. How about a guy who hasn't played in 3 years?
I'm not even propping up White. I'm merely criticizing David's post.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:00 am

Im confused between the “w” posters in this thread lol

Look, if Pace isn’t willing to match NO on Meredith, he’s either willing to gamble on a player like White or getting a player like Ridley/Sutton. Either way, he has to think the hen in hand (Meredith) isn’t worth the two eggs in the basket if he wouldn’t match. Meredith either isn’t healthy or on board with Nagys direction.

Is it a surprise Meredith would go to Pace’s old team?
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:39 am

Those are hardly the only options...

Off the top of my head, Brandon Coleman, Willie Snead, and Dontrelle Inman are three guys in the same general age and/or production range as Meredith and are still available. I'm sure theres several more out there as well. Not to mention, say, a day 2 draft pick.
0 x

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:49 am

I don't have a problem with the Meredith decision if the team doesn't like him or if they think his knee is going to be problematic this year. I do have a problem with depleting depth on a roster that is thin on talent overall.

Sitton - I realize he's not a Guard of the future but he would have been just fine this year assuming he's not the exact opposite of what Nagy wants to do. Even if he was and you draft a G in the second round, let the draft pick earn the job on the field and push Sitton to the bench. Then when an injury strikes the interior OL you have a starter caliber player stepping in instead of Grasu or Morgan. Yes, he would be an expensive backup. Yes, having three starting G for two positions is too many, but it creates depth and forces competition. Those are both good things. Further, with Kush you don't have to draft anyone now with Sitton/Long starting and Kush a very capable backup. G could have been a late round pick but now could command a higher pick be used.

Meredith - A lot of the same above. You have Robinson and Meredith both coming off injuries, White is unproven as he hasn't been available to play. If Robinson gets hurt again you are now rolling out Gabriel, White, Bellamy, Draft pick although with Cohen and the TEs you still have a lot of pass catchers. My diagnosis of Meredith is this: Pace tags him for $1.9M, finding the upside to be worth the risk at this price. At $2.9M, the upside is no longer worth the risk OR he wants to bait some team to sign him to a 3/$6M contract that he can match and keep the guy for pennies on the dollar. I think the latter was Pace's strategy and it backfired. I would have kept him on that price, which is 1/$5.4 guaranteed. Depth/competition/dry powder on draft capital.

Most of the other cuts I agree with. I think I would have kept Willie Young around for $3.5M even with adding Lynch. Maybe would have kept Demps in that secondary as an experienced backup. Sitton and Meredith are the only real losses that I wish didn't happen.
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:56 pm

jumbo wrote:I don't have a problem with the Meredith decision if the team doesn't like him or if they think his knee is going to be problematic this year. I do have a problem with depleting depth on a roster that is thin on talent overall.

Sitton - I realize he's not a Guard of the future but he would have been just fine this year assuming he's not the exact opposite of what Nagy wants to do. Even if he was and you draft a G in the second round, let the draft pick earn the job on the field and push Sitton to the bench. Then when an injury strikes the interior OL you have a starter caliber player stepping in instead of Grasu or Morgan. Yes, he would be an expensive backup. Yes, having three starting G for two positions is too many, but it creates depth and forces competition. Those are both good things. Further, with Kush you don't have to draft anyone now with Sitton/Long starting and Kush a very capable backup. G could have been a late round pick but now could command a higher pick be used.

Meredith - A lot of the same above. You have Robinson and Meredith both coming off injuries, White is unproven as he hasn't been available to play. If Robinson gets hurt again you are now rolling out Gabriel, White, Bellamy, Draft pick although with Cohen and the TEs you still have a lot of pass catchers. My diagnosis of Meredith is this: Pace tags him for $1.9M, finding the upside to be worth the risk at this price. At $2.9M, the upside is no longer worth the risk OR he wants to bait some team to sign him to a 3/$6M contract that he can match and keep the guy for pennies on the dollar. I think the latter was Pace's strategy and it backfired. I would have kept him on that price, which is 1/$5.4 guaranteed. Depth/competition/dry powder on draft capital.

Most of the other cuts I agree with. I think I would have kept Willie Young around for $3.5M even with adding Lynch. Maybe would have kept Demps in that secondary as an experienced backup. Sitton and Meredith are the only real losses that I wish didn't happen.

I agree with these takes.
1 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:15 pm

Would you want him Bears fans?

0 x
Screw Pitchers

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:21 pm

If Nagy wants him, then sure.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Is he better or worse than Dez Bryant?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:22 pm

I'd prefer Dez though
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Mark Sanchez tested postive for PED's. Good thing they moved on from Sanchez as the backup.

Bears signed WR Bennie Fowler, formerly of the Denver Broncos.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:46 pm

BigbadB wrote:Mark Sanchez tested postive for PED's. Good thing they moved on from Sanchez as the backup.

I hope he's an ascending player/late bloomer.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
BigbadB wrote:Mark Sanchez tested postive for PED's. Good thing they moved on from Sanchez as the backup.

I'm guessing he's 4th or 5th WR competition with who we already have. I'm still holding out hope they can get Snead if he become available. I'd be okay with Dez Bryant or Jeremy Maclin, but they are both trending down. Maclin has been a FA for a month now and there are some pretty needy WR teams out there.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Those are hardly the only options...

Off the top of my head, Brandon Coleman, Willie Snead, and Dontrelle Inman are three guys in the same general age and/or production range as Meredith and are still available. I'm sure theres several more out there as well. Not to mention, say, a day 2 draft pick.

They are the best options, the ones you list are junk
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:24 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Lol no White is a worse option than all of them
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:56 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Almost literally the same player as Josh Bellamy (I'm one of the rare Bears fans that don't hate him). 4th/5th WR who can play well on special teams.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:19 pm

David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

who's advocating for White? I was suggesting Meredith vs draft pick
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:31 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

minnesotacubsfan wrote:Im confused between the “w” posters in this thread lol

Look, if Pace isn’t willing to match NO on Meredith, he’s either willing to gamble on a player like White or getting a player like Ridley/Sutton. Either way, he has to think the hen in hand (Meredith) isn’t worth the two eggs in the basket if he wouldn’t match. Meredith either isn’t healthy or on board with Nagys direction.

0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:08 pm

David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
David wrote:Lol no White is a worse option than all of them

minnesotacubsfan wrote:Im confused between the “w” posters in this thread lol

Although I do mention White, I wasn’t advocating for him. I’m hoping for a top WR in the draft and if that means a trade down, so be it. Robinson is a nice story, but he’s been no more healthy then Meredith really. And all the other names mentioned hereupon underwhelm me save Snead. But Snead looks to be headed elsewhere from the last reports I’ve read. I also get the strong feeling Pace is done with FA save a few roster stuffing pick ups.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”