Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:14 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Both Walter football mocks have the bears taking Iowa cornerback Jackson, and I don't hate the idea. I've read that WR is deep, and if they can trade back a little and get back into the third, I may be more interested in a blue chip defensive player and then solving offense with quantity. I feel this offense is going to be about spreading it around to many guys rather than finding and relying on one stud WR.

Yeah, I like the idea of defense or OL in the first round.

It would be very interesting if Nagy and Pace, the guys who tied their careers to a QB would chose a D guy round 1. IF I was Fangio, I would be licking my chops.
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:33 am

Wouldn't complain about Ridley or a stud DB, but I'm leaning OL in the first round
1 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:20 am

Thoughts on Kyle Fuller? He’s hitting FA and I’m a fan of VT DBs not named Jimmy Williams. How did he hold up physically on the Bears? Would you take him over say an EJ Gaines in FA?
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:54 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Thoughts on Kyle Fuller? He’s hitting FA and I’m a fan of VT DBs not named Jimmy Williams. How did he hold up physically on the Bears? Would you take him over say an EJ Gaines in FA?

I was looking through a FAs list the other day and there are a few DBs available. I wonder what hed want in money. He had one good year and it was his contract year. Id almost be inclined to spend it elsewhere.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:56 pm

i want them to franchise him
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:37 pm

David wrote:i want them to franchise him

I would only do that because Amukamara is also a FA and signing 2 good CBs would be a challenge. Im not sure he’d play well enough to justify the payday
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:14 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
David wrote:i want them to franchise him

I would only do that because Amukamara is also a FA and signing 2 good CBs would be a challenge. Im not sure he’d play well enough to justify the payday

i'd want to keep him short term to see if he maintains his play next year (and bc of having to replace both corners)...he was PFF's 22nd rated corner in the league and seemed to hit his stride and get better as the year went on.
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:16 pm

really sucks that we couldn't lock down (no pun intended) bouye last year
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Matt Miller put out a 2-round mock today: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2753 ... re=twitter

The Bears get Texas OT Connor Williams in the first round and Maryland WR DJ Moore in the second.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:06 pm

Ideal scenario for me is a QB Buffalo likes falls to 8 and we trade for 21, 22, and a 3rd (or maybe a future 2nd). I think the holes we have can be filled very well with prospects that are borderline top 20 now. I mean the combine hasn't happened and things will change after that but I feel very confident that there will be good OT, WR, CB, Edge players available at those 2 slots. Every year some very good players get taken in the 20s. This year won't be any different.
1 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:09 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Matt Miller put out a 2-round mock today: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2753 ... re=twitter

The Bears get Texas OT Connor Williams in the first round and Maryland WR DJ Moore in the second.

I know this a Bears centric convo and he's likely not a target but watching probably a half dozen regular season games then the SEC Championship and the Playoffs I'm in love with Roquan Smith. I could see him being the best non-QB/Saquon Barkley player in this draft.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Matt Miller put out a 2-round mock today: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2753 ... re=twitter

I know this a Bears centric convo and he's likely not a target but watching probably a half dozen regular season games then the SEC Championship and the Playoffs I'm in love with Roquan Smith. I could see him being the best non-QB/Saquon Barkley player in this draft.

I like Roquan a lot but I think Minkah Fitzpatrick is the best defensive player in this draft.
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:40 pm

I think if the Bears draft Williams at #8, they really reached. I like him at a later pick after a trade much more
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:

I think if the Bears draft Williams at #8, they really reached. I like him at a later pick after a trade much more

The Combine hasn't happened yet. It's way too early to get hung up on the value of individual players.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:08 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

The Combine hasn't happened yet. It's way too early to get hung up on the value of individual players.

Sure however I’m willing to bet that even after the combine he’ll still be a reach at number eight
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Seems like a perfect draft to trade down. Very few WR or OT's going in the first round in the mocks I've read. None really jump out at #8 while there should be plenty of teams willing to move up to that spot.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:47 pm

BigbadB wrote:Seems like a perfect draft to trade down. Very few WR or OT's going in the first round in the mocks I've read. None really jump out at #8 while there should be plenty of teams willing to move up to that spot.

Potenetial QB needy teams

CLE (two picks)
NYG
DEN
NYJ
-------
MIA
ARI
BUF
JAX

1st round possible QBs.

Rosen, Jackson, Darnold, Rudolph. Maybe Alen ,but that seems a stretch.

So we basically want three of those to go by the time of the Jets pick, and we want Miami to be perceived as a real threat as there's only 4 slots between them and the Jets. Cousins leaving WAS and making them another relative threat would be nice too... though perhaps not if it takes one of the top 4 put of the QB race.

Obviously they can explore non QB trade downs too, it just won't likely be mega packages.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:52 am

Catching up on the last page of this thread.

Kyle Fuller MUST come back. I'd prefer a re-sign because the franchise tag is like 14 million, but bottom line is Fuller has to be back. He was a top 20 CB this year, I think some of the PDs will turn into turnovers. And he's the 2nd youngest free agent CB. I think it'll take a contract similar to the 5-year/$52.5Mil deal that Dre Kirkpatrick got last offseason. Maybe a little less like 4/40 ish, but that 5th year would definitely get him to stay in Chicago. And if you lose him, you'll have to pay as much to replace him, while getting an older player, and probably one that's not any better.

Roquan Smith is a God. I wouldn't hate the pick at 8. Not a huge need, but he'd probably be the best player available on my personal draft board if it mattered.

Connor Williams is pretty interesting. The value positions in the top 10 are QB, pass rusher, CB and OT. Obviously, the Bears aren't taking a QB. I don't know if any pass rusher is worth the 8th pick outside of Chubb, who will undoubtedly would be gone. I don't love the recent history of top 10 OTs, but Williams looks like the real deal. He was dominant in 2016. Had a couple bad games, got hurt, and then came back strong this year. But lost a lot of luster to most. I think he can be a really good OT and he's probably the only guy at one of the 4 positions I named that will realistically be on the board at 8 that I'd actually be Ok with.

That being said, I'd love it if Arizona fell in love with a QB and wanted to move up to 8. I'd take that Buffalo deal too, but I'd hate to move that far down (though there would be plenty of ammo to move back up). The Bears do already have Arizona's 4th though.

FWIW, with 15 from Arizona I'd look to take whoever is on the board between Ridley (WR), Jackson/Ward (CB), Marcus Davenport (6'7" OLB who I love) or McGlinchey (OT)
1 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:14 am

Interesting feedback on Fuller...Guess I’ll have to hope the Jets can steal Gaines because no thanks on big money defense this year. Great to hear that he got it back together after a down year maybe two.

The other Bears player I’m curious about - how is Leonard Floyd coming along?

Raw - big Marcus Davenport fan as well. I should wait for the combine, and definitely will, but think he might find his way into the top 10. Are the Bears comfortable enough on the DL with Goldman and the Bama guy to avoid Vea?
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:24 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
BigbadB wrote:Seems like a perfect draft to trade down. Very few WR or OT's going in the first round in the mocks I've read. None really jump out at #8 while there should be plenty of teams willing to move up to that spot.

CLE (two picks)
NYG
DEN
NYJ
-------
MIA
ARI
BUF
JAX

1st round possible QBs.

So we basically want three of those to go by the time of the Jets pick, and we want Miami to be perceived as a real threat as there's only 4 slots between them and the Jets. Cousins leaving WAS and making them another relative threat would be nice too... though perhaps not if it takes one of the top 4 put of the QB race.

Obviously they can explore non QB trade downs too, it just won't likely be mega packages.

Allen is definitely a 1st rounder. Mayfield probably is too. Don't think Randolph is.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:43 am

davell wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

CLE (two picks)
NYG
DEN
NYJ
-------
MIA
ARI
BUF
JAX

1st round possible QBs.

Allen is definitely a 1st rounder. Mayfield probably is too. Don't think Randolph is.

Blanked on Mayfield...
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:44 am

davell wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

CLE (two picks)
NYG
DEN
NYJ
-------
MIA
ARI
BUF
JAX

1st round possible QBs.

Yes I agree with this
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Wrong thread
0 x

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:39 pm

I know he's a guard, but I'd love to trade down and get Quentin Nelson. He's going to be an All-Pro the minute he steps on the field.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Interesting feedback on Fuller...Guess I’ll have to hope the Jets can steal Gaines because no thanks on big money defense this year. Great to hear that he got it back together after a down year maybe two.

The other Bears player I’m curious about - how is Leonard Floyd coming along?

Raw - big Marcus Davenport fan as well. I should wait for the combine, and definitely will, but think he might find his way into the top 10. Are the Bears comfortable enough on the DL with Goldman and the Bama guy to avoid Vea?

Floyd's good. Had both seasons cut short due to injuries, but should be fine heading into 2018. Gotta get him some help. Not probably ever going to be a 12+ sack guy, but has proven to be better than expected setting the edge vs. the run and has been used in coverage a ton. Got a ton of attention from other teams this year with a TE or chip to his side quite often.

Yeah, Vea's strictly a NT. That's Goldman's position. While he could use a viable backup (or play DE himself), the Bears do have some young talent under contract on the DL for next year. Roy Robertson-Harris and Jon Bullard both flashed at times this year and both are like 23. They'll probably add a DL at some point in the offseason but it won't be a high pick or a high $ FA.

Agree on Davenport.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”