Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:35 am

The first lovie staff sucked. All college "teachers", no quality NFL guys. Once he made some changes though he got some good guys in there.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:The first lovie staff sucked. All college "teachers", no quality NFL guys. Once he made some changes though he got some good guys in there.

these are all from those later staffs, no?

well idk about the london dude but rb coach so who cares
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:54 am

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:The first lovie staff sucked. All college "teachers", no quality NFL guys. Once he made some changes though he got some good guys in there.

these are all from those later staffs, no?

well idk about the london dude but rb coach so who cares

Tabor, 08-10. Obviously got Toub exposure and just got the Pat Mannely endorsement on Twitter. Good early results with Cleveland, but nothing for the past several years.
London, 07-09. I don't think anything notable, but he was as low as of a position as you can, just starting out his coaching career then.
Heistand, 05-09. He was actually a Turner guy(!) but hes getting universal praise and those included some pretty good OL units. He definitely has the college label (no other NFL experience), but that certainly isn't dampening the enthusiasm surrounding him.
0 x

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:28 am

As an ND fan, I think Hiestand was far away the best coach on that staff. Olin Kreutz was on the Score last week and said Hiestand was the best OL coach he's ever had. I think it's a great hire.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 pm

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:37 pm

That would be.. interesting. No NFL experience.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Look like its happening. Interesting hire...I think I like it.
0 x
Win it for Fred

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Depending on who does the play-calling, hopefully he can avoid the same mistakes of repetition that plagued Kelly's offense in the NFL. When you're trying to run a frantic pace, you only have a limited amount of plays to run and the refs frown upon up-tempo.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:06 pm

UK wrote:Depending on who does the play-calling, hopefully he can avoid the same mistakes of repetition that plagued Kelly's offense in the NFL. When you're trying to run a frantic pace, you only have a limited amount of plays to run and the refs frown upon up-tempo.

Nagy already said he'd be doing the playcalling.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:10 pm

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:13 pm

So the head coach has 8 years NFL coaching experience, the OC has none, the OL has 5, all with Bears, several years removed. Each guy has some legit qualities to be excited about, but I'm concerned about the ability to run an NFL team here.

McVay was younger but had more NFL coordinating experience. His OC and OL coaches were also experienced NFL coaches. And he had a former head coach in Phillips running the defense.

The Eagles and Pederson had even more NFL experience, including their own former head coach as defensive coordinator.

I'd really like to see some more NFL experienced coaches brought in here.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:14 pm

UK wrote:n and the refs frown upon up-tempo.

Huh?
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:22 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Huh?

When Kelly was with the Eagles playing up-tempo, the refs would often stand over the ball before the snap to allow the defense to set.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:26 pm

UK wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Huh?

When Kelly was with the Eagles playing up-tempo, the refs would often stand over the ball before the snap to allow the defense to set.

No, there are rules in place to partially offset the substation advantage of an offense in the NFL, but they aren't frowning upon up tempo.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:32 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:So the head coach has 8 years NFL coaching experience, the OC has none, the OL has 5, all with Bears, several years removed. Each guy has some legit qualities to be excited about, but I'm concerned about the ability to run an NFL team here.

McVay was younger but had more NFL coordinating experience. His OC and OL coaches were also experienced NFL coaches. And he had a former head coach in Phillips running the defense.

The Eagles and Pederson had even more NFL experience, including their own former head coach as defensive coordinator.

There's been some talk about Childress being brought on to be some part of the staff. I know he wasn't a great HC, but I wouldn't hate it. Childress himself didn't deny it on the Score this morning...when asked directly if there's any chance he'd come out of retirement to play a role on Nagy's staff, he said he'd let Nagy address that.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:35 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:So the head coach has 8 years NFL coaching experience, the OC has none, the OL has 5, all with Bears, several years removed. Each guy has some legit qualities to be excited about, but I'm concerned about the ability to run an NFL team here.

There's been some talk about Childress being brought on to be some part of the staff. I know he wasn't a great HC, but I wouldn't hate it. Childress himself didn't deny it on the Score this morning...when asked directly if there's any chance he'd come out of retirement to play a role on Nagy's staff, he said he'd let Nagy address that.

Not exactly what I had in mind.

But he's retired.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:

Not exactly what I had in mind.

But he's retired.

Yeah...he made it sound like he'd be interested if Nagy offered him a position tho. I wouldn't want him having much say so but his experience (and familiarity/relationship with Nagy) could serve some sort of positive purpose, I guess.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Yea, i like young innovative processes, but id like to avoid a Trestman reduex
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:52 pm

Anyone think this new direction + Pace and Nagy can convince ownership to make the switch to FieldTurf?
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:02 pm

David wrote:Anyone think this new direction + Pace and Nagy can convince ownership to make the switch to FieldTurf?

Is it ownerships say or the park district?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:03 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
David wrote:Anyone think this new direction + Pace and Nagy can convince ownership to make the switch to FieldTurf?

Is it ownerships say or the park district?

ownership. the park district would've done it years ago if the mccaskeys didn't insist on grass.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:53 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:Yea, i like young innovative processes, but id like to avoid a Trestman reduex

I don't think Trestman failed because of lack of NFL coaching experience. Trestman had 17 years of NFL coaching experience, including 8 years as an Offensive Coordinator, before becoming the Bears HC. Kromer had 12 including a year as the Saints interim head coach while Payton was suspended. Mel Tucker had 9 including 6 as a coordinator and interim HC.
0 x
Win it for Fred

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:55 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:Yea, i like young innovative processes, but id like to avoid a Trestman reduex

I don't think Trestman failed because of lack of NFL coaching experience. Trestman had 17 years of NFL coaching experience, including 8 years as an Offensive Coordinator, before becoming the Bears HC. Kromer had 12 including a year as the Saints interim head coach while Payton was suspended. Mel Tucker had 9 including 6 as a coordinator and interim HC.

Trestman failed because he was a huge weirdo and because he had the worst DC I've ever seen.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:00 pm

David wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Trestman failed because he was a huge weirdo and because he had the worst DC I've ever seen.

I only learned after the Georgia/Alabama game that Mel Tucker was the DC for Georgia. How does he get any DC job anywhere after what he did to the Bears defense?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:02 pm

BigbadB wrote:
David wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

I only learned after the Georgia/Alabama game that Mel Tucker was the DC for Georgia. How does he get any DC job anywhere after what he did to the Bears defense?

i'd imagine almost anyone who has nfl experience is considered a huge get in a college coordinator role, plus college and pro are such different animals in every sport.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”