Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:17 pm

weis21 wrote:
Derwood wrote:Kiper is been on Allen's jock for awhile.

This is more of a big board than a mock.....there's no way Darnold falls to #5 if he's passed by the Browns and Giants; someone will trade into the Colts spot

heard on the radio that someone (not kiper) had a source close to Browns and said they are really, really impressed by Allen and are likely to pick him.

In addition to the "grain of salt" behind all of this is that, why would anyone in Cleveland float that out there when there is no upside in them taking someone that isn't (to say the least) a sure-fire #1? Counterpoint, of course, is because Browns.

Amazing.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Daniel Jeremiah mock: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ns-take-qb

Bears get Ohio St CB Denzel Ward. Amongst names discusssed here, Quenton Nelson goes 5th, Marcus Davenport 7th, Tremaine Edmunds 9th, Roquan Smith 10th, Connor Williams 12th, Josh Jackson 22nd and Calvin Ridley 24th.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:35 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Daniel Jeremiah mock: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ns-take-qb

Bears get Ohio St CB Denzel Ward. Amongst names discusssed here, Quenton Nelson goes 5th, Marcus Davenport 7th, Tremaine Edmunds 9th, Roquan Smith 10th, Connor Williams 12th, Josh Jackson 22nd and Calvin Ridley 24th.

I wouldnt hate getting the top CB in the draft
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:55 pm

Not sure how much a special teams assistant matters, but I like the idea of hiring guys with coordinator experience on this staff of relatively inexperienced offensive coaches.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:59 pm

That's two Toub pupils making up our ST coaching staff.
2 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:01 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Daniel Jeremiah mock: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ns-take-qb

Me either. Though I don't have Ward as the top CB. I think Fitzpatrick is a CB at least initially in the NFL, and he'd be excellent here. I also like Jaire Alexander from Louisville more than Ward, but he had injury issues in 2017 and I could see him being available maybe in the 2nd (though probably with a short trade up).

If Ward was 5'11", I'd adore him. But he's probably sub 5'10", though he will likely run in the 4.3s. I wouldn't hate the pick at all, even at 8. I feel the Bears need to go big this offseason at one position on defense. Whether CB or OLB, an elite player at either position would set up this defense for a long time. If the Bears re-sign Fuller, they are a CB (and an Amos extension) away from having a really good secondary for at least 3 years. If they find an OLB, they'd potentially have a dominant front 5 if Floyd stays healty and one of Robertson-Harris or Bullard takes a step up (and I was impressed by the former a ton down the stretch).
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:55 pm

rawaction wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Me either. Though I don't have Ward as the top CB. I think Fitzpatrick is a CB at least initially in the NFL, and he'd be excellent here. I also like Jaire Alexander from Louisville more than Ward, but he had injury issues in 2017 and I could see him being available maybe in the 2nd (though probably with a short trade up).

If Ward was 5'11", I'd adore him. But he's probably sub 5'10", though he will likely run in the 4.3s. I wouldn't hate the pick at all, even at 8. I feel the Bears need to go big this offseason at one position on defense. Whether CB or OLB, an elite player at either position would set up this defense for a long time. If the Bears re-sign Fuller, they are a CB (and an Amos extension) away from having a really good secondary for at least 3 years. If they find an OLB, they'd potentially have a dominant front 5 if Floyd stays healty and one of Robertson-Harris or Bullard takes a step up (and I was impressed by the former a ton down the stretch).

Fitzpatrick is probably a safety, and while Alexander is good I like Ward better. I agree on R-H. He was playing really well towards the end of the season.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:45 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Fitzpatrick is probably a safety, and while Alexander is good I like Ward better. I agree on R-H. He was playing really well towards the end of the season.

I think most people think that about Fitzpatrick, but he'd project as a free safety and has literally never taken a snap at FS. He has played some strong safety, but mostly plays slot corner. On his snaps as an outside CB, he's been pretty good but just needs more reps out there. I think you put him on one corner to start, and see if he can handle it before moving him. I think he can.

I have Alexander ahead of Ward because of his ability to handle bigger WRs. While there isn't a huge size difference (Ward probably slightly under 5'10", Alexander probably just under 5'11"), Ward had a tough time with Simmie Cobbs and other big WRs and Alexander had a strong performance vs. Clemson's Mike Williams last year.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:55 pm

rawaction wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

I think most people think that about Fitzpatrick, but he'd project as a free safety and has literally never taken a snap at FS. He has played some strong safety, but mostly plays slot corner. On his snaps as an outside CB, he's been pretty good but just needs more reps out there. I think you put him on one corner to start, and see if he can handle it before moving him. I think he can.

I have Alexander ahead of Ward because of his ability to handle bigger WRs. While there isn't a huge size difference (Ward probably slightly under 5'10", Alexander probably just under 5'11"), Ward had a tough time with Simmie Cobbs and other big WRs and Alexander had a strong performance vs. Clemson's Mike Williams last year.

His versatility is exciting. So is this:

0 x

r_mack
Role Player

Postby r_mack » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:28 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:Not sure how much a special teams assistant matters, but I like the idea of hiring guys with coordinator experience on this staff of relatively inexperienced offensive coaches.

0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:33 am

jfc we hired Tom Cruise
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:27 pm

What do you guys think of Edmunds if we stay put and he's there at 8? Talking about a guy who is very raw but is getting Urlacher comps for his size and athleticism combo, who can be deployed in many different facets within the defense, and will be 19 on draft day. Really rare specimen, but with plenty of risk.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:23 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:What do you guys think of Edmunds if we stay put and he's there at 8? Talking about a guy who is very raw but is getting Urlacher comps for his size and athleticism combo, who can be deployed in many different facets within the defense, and will be 19 on draft day. Really rare specimen, but with plenty of risk.

He's my current flavor of the week for the 8th pick. He could be Anthony Barr. Same type of size and it appears athletic ability on tape. He and a healthy Trevathan would be fun inside. Kwit in nickel with Edmunds potentially rushing off the edge or blitzing could be great. He's kinda opposite Floyd in that Floyd is a pass rusher that can do so much more that you don't want to limit him to just rushing off the edge. Edmunds is an off-ball, sideline to sideline LB that can do so much more that you don't want to limit him to just running and chasing RBs and TEs.

I don't know if Fangio can make the most of him (he is kind of structured as a DC), but if he feel he can I'd be very interested in this pick.

I also kinda feel like Pace could really go for the absolute best athlete on the board regardless of position. The big needs for the Bears are OLB, WR, CB, and OL depth. But I expect him to go heavy in free agency to the point where he isn't desperate for any particular position (kinda how he's done the last 3 years). Plus, the guys likely on the board at 8 at those positions are probably reaches (OLB, CB) or not top 10 values (Ridley, Nelson). In general, the Bears need to get faster and more athletic, and we know Pace likes athletic specimen.

2015 1st- Kevin White- ran a 4.35 at 6'3", 215
2016- 1st- Leonard Floyd- ran a 4.6 at 6'6", 244 (fastest time of any pass rusher)
Obviously he picked a QB last year. But Shaheen was kind of a huge athletic freak also.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:35 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:What do you guys think of Edmunds if we stay put and he's there at 8? Talking about a guy who is very raw but is getting Urlacher comps for his size and athleticism combo, who can be deployed in many different facets within the defense, and will be 19 on draft day. Really rare specimen, but with plenty of risk.

If the Bears could land Landry in FA, I’d be fine with Edmunds.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:08 am

rawaction wrote:

He's my current flavor of the week for the 8th pick. He could be Anthony Barr. Same type of size and it appears athletic ability on tape. He and a healthy Trevathan would be fun inside. Kwit in nickel with Edmunds potentially rushing off the edge or blitzing could be great. He's kinda opposite Floyd in that Floyd is a pass rusher that can do so much more that you don't want to limit him to just rushing off the edge. Edmunds is an off-ball, sideline to sideline LB that can do so much more that you don't want to limit him to just running and chasing RBs and TEs.

I don't know if Fangio can make the most of him (he is kind of structured as a DC), but if he feel he can I'd be very interested in this pick.

I also kinda feel like Pace could really go for the absolute best athlete on the board regardless of position. The big needs for the Bears are OLB, WR, CB, and OL depth. But I expect him to go heavy in free agency to the point where he isn't desperate for any particular position (kinda how he's done the last 3 years). Plus, the guys likely on the board at 8 at those positions are probably reaches (OLB, CB) or not top 10 values (Ridley, Nelson). In general, the Bears need to get faster and more athletic, and we know Pace likes athletic specimen.

2015 1st- Kevin White- ran a 4.35 at 6'3", 215
2016- 1st- Leonard Floyd- ran a 4.6 at 6'6", 244 (fastest time of any pass rusher)
Obviously he picked a QB last year. But Shaheen was kind of a huge athletic freak also.

Yea, I think it's pretty fair to say Pace values athleticism, especially at the top of the draft.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:42 pm

apparently calvin ridley wants to be drafted by the bears (justdoit is him)

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:56 pm

Ridley is a Bears fan and good friends with Eddie Jackson. He stated after they drafted Jackson last year for the Bears to "come get yo boy" too.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:19 pm

I love Ridley. Even at 8, I’d probably draft him if i couldn’t get Landry.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:15 pm

Bleacher Report warning - I know they're being taken more seriously these days but still take it FWIW

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:22 pm

Amos was snubbed in the PB. He’s getting a lot of press, but rightfully so
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:50 pm

I honestly did not realize he had such a good season.
0 x
Win it for Fred

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:55 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I honestly did not realize he had such a good season.

PFF has had him graded highly since he was a rookie. There's always been a big disconnect there vs. what the local media paints him as. This year he got to another level, though, and ranked as one of the best in the league (I think).
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:09 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:39 pm

Bears Twitter blogosphere rumor is that the Bears are working to get Fuller extended.

Also

“It felt like it was 30 minutes, because it was so smooth and the dialogue was so great,” DeFilippo said Thursday at Mall of America, where the NFC champion Eagles conducted their final interviews before Sunday’s Super Bowl. “It was a lot of fun to go through the process. …

“They were absolutely fantastic. It was one of the most organized, if not the most organized, interview I’ve ever been a part of. They’d done their research on me, a ton of background, everything from personality traits. I could tell they made a ton of calls to people that had worked with me. They were so prepared. (General manager) Ryan (Pace) was even-keeled, smart, bright, and there’s no doubt he’s gonna get the Bears going in the right direction.”

Nagy, too. The Bears interviewed him Jan. 6, and agreed to make him their next head coach in the wee hours of Jan. 7.

“The future is definitely bright in Chicago with Matt,” DeFilippo said.

One reason: quarterback Mitch Trubisky.

“Whenever you feel like you have a franchise quarterback in place, it’s a lot easier to build a football team,” DeFilippo said. “They have pieces in place on defense. They were hit by the injury bug a little bit this year which obviously they explained a little bit to me. Obviously the future’s bright there.

“Obviously they’re gonna get out and try to find pieces to surround Mitchell with, very similar to what we did with Carson Wentz this offseason.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/joh ... -nagy/amp/
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:52 pm

David wrote:Bears Twitter blogosphere rumor is that the Bears are working to get Fuller extended.

Also

“It felt like it was 30 minutes, because it was so smooth and the dialogue was so great,” DeFilippo said Thursday at Mall of America, where the NFC champion Eagles conducted their final interviews before Sunday’s Super Bowl. “It was a lot of fun to go through the process. …

“They were absolutely fantastic. It was one of the most organized, if not the most organized, interview I’ve ever been a part of. They’d done their research on me, a ton of background, everything from personality traits. I could tell they made a ton of calls to people that had worked with me. They were so prepared. (General manager) Ryan (Pace) was even-keeled, smart, bright, and there’s no doubt he’s gonna get the Bears going in the right direction.”

Nagy, too. The Bears interviewed him Jan. 6, and agreed to make him their next head coach in the wee hours of Jan. 7.

“The future is definitely bright in Chicago with Matt,” DeFilippo said.

One reason: quarterback Mitch Trubisky.

“Whenever you feel like you have a franchise quarterback in place, it’s a lot easier to build a football team,” DeFilippo said. “They have pieces in place on defense. They were hit by the injury bug a little bit this year which obviously they explained a little bit to me. Obviously the future’s bright there.

“Obviously they’re gonna get out and try to find pieces to surround Mitchell with, very similar to what we did with Carson Wentz this offseason.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/joh ... -nagy/amp/

usage of "obviously" that would make jim hendry blush
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”