Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Bertz
Starter

Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby Bertz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:54 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Bertz wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Pace gets an A from me this off-season. What say you guys?

I like Pace and think we've had a very good offseason, however I think the Kyle Fuller and Cam Meredith situations were pretty big unforced errors that make me hesitant to give him an A.

Overall I'm very happy with where the team is though. They are good enough to go as far as Mitch can take them (and I believe he's a frontline talent), the roster has a good amount of quality youth, and the salary cap situation looks quite healthy.

The Fuller situation worked out just fine

Sure it worked out fine, but the situation very easily could have been good if we had him at 1/14. Now we have him under a contract that is pretty hard to get out of until after year 3, for a guy who has really only had one good year. It's certainly not a move that will kill us, but it is kind of sloppy.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:57 pm

I hate giving out A's when you didn't add any unquestionably elite, impact talent. I'd call it a B+, he filled a lot of holes and he did it admirably.

But that's just semantics about how letter grades translate.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:05 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I hate giving out A's when you didn't add any unquestionably elite, impact talent. I'd call it a B+, he filled a lot of holes and he did it admirably.

i would tend to agree with this analysis. Good job all around but it comes down to being able to spend a ton of money you had available and being bad enough to draft 8th. I could be talked into an A- though since I really like the coaching hire and am generally happy with the names that were brought in.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:54 pm

I’d say a B. The lack of an edge rusher and OT scare me. I know OT wasn’t listed as a need, its so critical that I feel like you can always stockpile/upgrade. I am also somewhat lukewarm on our WR’s.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Tue May 01, 2018 1:12 am

I'd give a A-, but that's without knowing why he made some of the moves he did. I don't know why he kept Sims, but passed on Sitton. I'm guessing he let Meredith walk because of his medicals. My favorite move is keeping Fangio. He seems to get the best out of his guys. I like the coaching hire and the draft was quite solid, IMO, not only filling needs but getting guys that have a chance to make an impact right away. I'm a homer and get excited every new season, even though the reality is they don't stand much of a chance. Looking forward to seeing a competitive team out there again.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:23 am

BigbadB wrote:I'd give a A-, but that's without knowing why he made some of the moves he did. I don't know why he kept Sims, but passed on Sitton. I'm guessing he let Meredith walk because of his medicals. My favorite move is keeping Fangio. He seems to get the best out of his guys. I like the coaching hire and the draft was quite solid, IMO, not only filling needs but getting guys that have a chance to make an impact right away. I'm a homer and get excited every new season, even though the reality is they don't stand much of a chance. Looking forward to seeing a competitive team out there again.
Sitton doesn't really fit the ZBS, and Sims, if nothing else, provides a steady presence and mentor for Shaheen, and in a smaller respect, Burton, who will likely split out wide quite a bit. Not thrilled with Sims being kept with his tag but I think it makes some sense. If Burton or Shaheen get hurt they'd be in big trouble.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Re: RE: Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby BigbadB » Tue May 01, 2018 1:27 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
BigbadB wrote:I'd give a A-, but that's without knowing why he made some of the moves he did. I don't know why he kept Sims, but passed on Sitton. I'm guessing he let Meredith walk because of his medicals. My favorite move is keeping Fangio. He seems to get the best out of his guys. I like the coaching hire and the draft was quite solid, IMO, not only filling needs but getting guys that have a chance to make an impact right away. I'm a homer and get excited every new season, even though the reality is they don't stand much of a chance. Looking forward to seeing a competitive team out there again.
Sitton doesn't really fit the ZBS, and Sims, if nothing else, provides a steady presence and mentor for Shaheen, and in a smaller respect, Burton, who will likely split out wide quite a bit. Not thrilled with Sims being kept with his tag but I think it makes some sense. If Burton or Shaheen get hurt they'd be in big trouble.

If you can get Sitton for one more year and Meredith passed his physical, this cuts down the serious need to fill those two holes, I think you still look for Sitton's replacement if the right guy is there, like Nelson. I like the Daniels pick, but I was really hoping they would get Landry in the 2nd.
1 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:53 am

BigbadB wrote:

If you can get Sitton for one more year and Meredith passed his physical, this cuts down the serious need to fill those two holes, I think you still look for Sitton's replacement if the right guy is there, like Nelson. I like the Daniels pick, but I was really hoping they would get Landry in the 2nd.

Well if the reports are true that they had no interest in Nelson, with his college coach on staff, then he probably wasn't the right guy, really. And I'm not sure it would be wise to ask a mid 30s injury prone G to play in a scheme he doesn't fit, even if it's just as a stopgap. That was the clear driving force of not picking up Sitton's option, IMO.

To me, Pace gave Vic a franchise player, gave his new OL coach a franchise player, and then gave his new HC and Helfrich a possible franchise player. From there he added some high upside athletic players with pretty low floors. Though I do think Nichols is exciting, and Fitts is quite intriguing. His 3-cone is comparable to Landry's.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Tue May 01, 2018 2:03 am

Seems like it's just convenient to say they weren't going to take Nelson since he was no longer available to take. You also don't want to insult Roquan by saying you would have taken someone else if they were there with that pick.
1 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue May 01, 2018 4:21 am

Those could very well be the case. Either way I see the logic in letting Sitton walk.
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Tue May 01, 2018 6:44 am

Sitton missed 3 games in each of the last two years and Long has missed a total of 14 over that time. Daniels isn’t guaranteed to stay healthy but replacing a 32 year old guard who hasn’t been healthy the last two years with a 20 year old makes sense to me. Especially when the 32 year old didn’t fit the offense very well. It does suck to be short on edge rusher but there are ways to cover for that. Lose both guards again and this fancy new offense is hosed.
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Tue May 01, 2018 6:56 am

By that same token, the tackles have been pretty healthy. And they’ve been decent enough. You can’t fix everything at once and the biggest problem with the o-line the last two years has been injuries in the interior. To me, that’s why the interior was the need.

Plus, New Orleans always spent the most resources on the interior. Leno has been plenty good for now at a reasonable price and the I think if I could pick some place for the pressure to come from it would be off right tackle. With a lot of spots on the roster looking pretty good I’d think next year they address OT and OLB.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 01, 2018 10:45 am

BigbadB wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Sitton doesn't really fit the ZBS, and Sims, if nothing else, provides a steady presence and mentor for Shaheen, and in a smaller respect, Burton, who will likely split out wide quite a bit. Not thrilled with Sims being kept with his tag but I think it makes some sense. If Burton or Shaheen get hurt they'd be in big trouble.

Well if the reports are true that they had no interest in Nelson, with his college coach on staff, then he probably wasn't the right guy, really. And I'm not sure it would be wise to ask a mid 30s injury prone G to play in a scheme he doesn't fit, even if it's just as a stopgap. That was the clear driving force of not picking up Sitton's option, IMO.

To me, Pace gave Vic a franchise player, gave his new OL coach a franchise player, and then gave his new HC and Helfrich a possible franchise player. From there he added some high upside athletic players with pretty low floors. Though I do think Nichols is exciting, and Fitts is quite intriguing. His 3-cone is comparable to Landry's.
so now there are reports they had no interest in Nelson? You can assume whoever gave you those reports is a liar. You're also stretching the concept of a franchise player extremely thin.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue May 01, 2018 1:32 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
BigbadB wrote:

so now there are reports they had no interest in Nelson? You can assume whoever gave you those reports is a liar. You're also stretching the concept of a franchise player extremely thin.

i think this is the "report" that people are basing that off of. in reality it's his (informed) speculation and not nearly as strongly worded.

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 01, 2018 1:51 pm

Focused on defense early makes sense, no interest in Nelson is crazy talk.
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue May 01, 2018 2:37 pm

Thrilho wrote:Lose both guards again and this fancy new offense is hosed.

Yeah, this is why I was concerned that they let Sitton walk and the reason that I'm glad they addressed the interior line early in the draft.

I'm pretty hyped about how the offseason has gone, but I've been hyped before and been disappointed. My general stance on the draft is that it's a crap shoot and anyone trying to evaluate it now is wasting their time. I have to stick with that take even thought I loved this particular draft.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 01, 2018 3:12 pm

I have to say I absolutely love how Pace actually drafts offensive linemen early nearly every year.
2 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:41 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
BigbadB wrote:

I don't think I am. I'd be surprised if each of those 3 doesn't receive a 2nd contract from us. I think they have potential to be All-Pros.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue May 01, 2018 11:21 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I hate giving out A's when you didn't add any unquestionably elite, impact talent. I'd call it a B+, he filled a lot of holes and he did it admirably.

I guess Robinson isn't unquestioned, but he's as close as anyone could reasonably expect a team to get. There's no such thing as an unquestionably elite, impact draft talent. And those guys don't typically hit free agency.

I'd probably give an A-/B+. I really would have liked a different direction at CB. Prince is decent and all, and he really wanted to come back to the Bears, but getting a guy that at least has a shot to create a turnover would've been nice, especially knowing the pass rushing class was weak in FA and the draft.

But the most important thing Pace did was surround Trubisky with the best possible coaching, weapons and scheme he could ask for. I love a lot of the moves, am cautiously optimistic about others, but ultimately if Pace made the right QB pick last year, and the right coaching hire this year, then the rest of the personnel doesn't matter all that much.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue May 01, 2018 11:38 pm

Allen Robinson had one season three years ago where he led the league in receptions and was 6th in receiving yards. He wasn't particularly close to the top 10 in either his last full season.

That's not close to elite.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 01, 2018 11:42 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Allen Robinson had one season three years ago where he led the league in receptions and was 6th in receiving yards. He wasn't particularly close to the top 10 in either his last full season.

That's not close to elite.

On Jacksonville though
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed May 02, 2018 12:14 am

Oh god, please don't get me going on elite again
2 x
Spoiler: show

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed May 02, 2018 12:30 am

Bring back Sully!
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

ConstableRabbit
5-Time All-Star

Postby ConstableRabbit » Wed May 02, 2018 1:12 am

UK wrote:Bring back Sully!

In all seriousness, what happened to Sully, anyway?
0 x
During a "Not For Women Only" panel discussion, former Cubs pitcher Mike Bielecki asked several players to invent a baseball catch phrase for Viagra. Theriot's ad campaign: "Viagra -- I always play hard."

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed May 02, 2018 1:17 am

ConstableRabbit wrote:
UK wrote:Bring back Sully!

In all seriousness, what happened to Sully, anyway?

:banned:
0 x
Spoiler: show

Return to “Other Sports”