Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:48 am

rawaction wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/patrickfinley/status/1022150984183758848

Rumor has it, Smith will get done by Saturday.

That's an odd time frame for a rookie contract signing rumor.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:03 pm

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Perd
Role Player

Postby Perd » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:34 pm

I’m from Memphis, and follow the University of Memphis pretty closely, so I was thrilled when the Beats drafted Miller. He has the potential to be special. The best player the Tigers have had since DeAngelo Williams.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:40 pm

Smith is now the only draft pick left unsigned. This is pretty ridiculous.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:15 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Smith is now the only draft pick left unsigned. This is pretty ridiculous.

yeah seriously. figure this horsefeathers out bears and get him on the field.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:31 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Smith is now the only draft pick left unsigned. This is pretty ridiculous.

Smith's agent is trying to get a clause out of the contract. Basically it's about the new hitting/leading with helmet rule. Supposedly, if a player gets suspended with this new rule (I'm going to assume that you got to do it multiple times to get a lengthy suspension), the team can void your contract. Smith is trying to get his deal to be guaranteed/protected from that. I know Gurley and like 2 others have what Smith want so it's not like he's setting a new precedent for future players. I saw an article on this a couple days ago because I was wondering what was taking so long.

Edit: Bears can void some of the guaranteed money if you get suspended with the new lowering helmet rule, not their contract like I stated above.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000942843/article/roquan-smith-deal-holdup-related-to-new-helmet-rule
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Splendid Splinter wrote:

Smith's agent is trying to get a clause out of the contract. Basically it's about the new hitting/leading with helmet rule. Supposedly, if a player gets suspended with this new rule (I'm going to assume that you got to do it multiple times to get a lengthy suspension), the team can void your contract. Smith is trying to get his deal to be guaranteed/protected from that. I know Gurley and like 2 others have what Smith want so it's not like he's setting a new precedent for future players. I saw an article on this a couple days ago because I was wondering what was taking so long.

Edit: Bears can void some of the guaranteed money if you get suspended with the new lowering helmet rule, not their contract like I stated above.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000942843/article/roquan-smith-deal-holdup-related-to-new-helmet-rule

It's a terrible look for the Bears, and the organization is looking like a-holes about it.
0 x

The Other One
Role Player

Postby The Other One » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Terrible look or not, wouldn't the get out of jail free card be troubling from an ownership standpoint?

What would prevent the player from making a few sordid hits during a losing season to get to sit out while being paid? Or, what if the hit is particularly nasty and the player should take his punishment?

The Bears are making the case of trust us, we'll take care of you if it is not deserved and have the Trevathan case as evidence. Roquan Smith has his college career as trust that he is not a dirty player. I think that is as far as that can go.

I'm on the Bears' side here.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:33 pm

The Other One wrote:Terrible look or not, wouldn't the get out of jail free card be troubling from an ownership standpoint?

What would prevent the player from making a few sordid hits during a losing season to get to sit out while being paid? Or, what if the hit is particularly nasty and the player should take his punishment?

The Bears are making the case of trust us, we'll take care of you if it is not deserved and have the Trevathan case as evidence. Roquan Smith has his college career as trust that he is not a dirty player. I think that is as far as that can go.

If Smith is suspended for a game(s), he will lose his game check. That's SOP for the NFL. The Bears are trying to fudge around Smith's slotted guaranteed money by inserting language that would allow them to take back some of that rookie money if he were to be suspended. It's BS because that same language would not have been in there if they had drafted, say, a QB or WR instead of a LB.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:14 pm

The Other One wrote:Terrible look or not, wouldn't the get out of jail free card be troubling from an ownership standpoint?

You shouldn't be on the Bears side. They are the ownership class and suck balls.
9 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

The Other One
Role Player

Postby The Other One » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:35 pm

Believe me, as a season ticket holder I wanted to take a shower after saying I was on their side.

The league is setting the rule changes that will lead to the suspensions not the Bears. Are the Bears complicit in that? Probably but I'm hoping it is being done to improve player health, not find a way to screw money out of the players. I may need to take another shower after writing that.

I just think in this case, the agent is trying to establish precedent. My gut feel thinks they are making a bigger deal out of this than they should in the interest of showing the player they are covering all the bases and now everyone is painted into a corner.

I'd suggest that between the two, they pick an arbitrator that can review any suspension to make sure neither are screwing each other.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:22 am

I'm not closely following it so this might not be accurate, but I read this today that the issue is not the new hit rule but some clause the Bears (and other teams) are putting in rookie contracts allowing them to void deals if they do something "detrimental to the team"

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2018/ ... fl-players
Last edited by Brian on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:35 am

Its far more likely that a big hit is questionably called by the refs and Smith loses his money than if Smith were to go all head-hunty in order to sit out a season. That thought process is insanely stupid.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:40 am

The other factor here is that nobody knows how the ramped up enforcement of these “leading with the head” penalties is going to play out. Are players going to be ejected left and right? Will judgment calls by the refs cost teams games?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:42 pm

ok so what'll it take to take khalil mack
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:00 pm

David wrote:ok so what'll it take to take khalil mack

Truckloads of cash and draft picks. Do it.
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:06 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:

This article says multiple firsts plus. I’m in. It would fill one of the few glaring holes on roster for the long term with an elite young player at a critical position, and could put them in the playoffs this year. Basically name a price and I’d pay.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/ ... ers-trade/
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:02 am

Thrilho wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

This article says multiple firsts plus. I’m in. It would fill one of the few glaring holes on roster for the long term with an elite young player at a critical position, and could put them in the playoffs this year. Basically name a price and I’d pay.

That's kind of how I'd feel
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:08 am

Mack could make Fangios defense elite overnight
Mack>>Hicks>>Floyd accross the front
Smith Middle
underrated secondary
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:38 am

I can't believe they found a way to make a preseason game even more pointless and stupid.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:21 pm

Thrilho wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Yeah, I'd definitely go for it if I'm the Bears. They are one of the few teams that could trade picks and pay him. While, I'd hate to lose the pair of 1st round picks (especially with no 2nd next year).....the Bears don't necessarily have a ton of needs like they have had as recently as April.

They have 27 Mil in cap space right now. They can afford to frontload the hell out of Mack's extension, and not exactly hurting for money in the near future until Trubisky's rookie deal is up.

The one good thing about being a terrible team for so many years, is that the Bears can make a move like this because they don't have very many good players. The Bears have 25 players who are free agents after 2018, which seems like a lot, but the only ones who are above replacement level are Goldman, Amos, Massie, Callahan and I'll even throw Lynch, White, and Kush in there since all are projected starters/contributors right now. Kush is easily replaced by Daniels. White is only still on the team because he was the 7th pick. Lynch isn't needed with Mack. Callahan and Massie could be replaced by mid round draft picks or cheap FAs. Only Goldman and Amos look like must re-signs, and neither will break the bank.

2020 you're only looking at re-signing Whitehair and maybe Kwiatkoski (but do have Iyeibuniwe), with Leonard Floyd's 5th year option kicking in, if he pans out (Mack would clearly help). Jordan Howard's also a FA this year, but I don't see the Bears paying him big money to stay as a non-ideal fit. So, that's 3 years they can easily afford Mack before they have a huge contingent of players becoming FAs and Trubisky's 5th year option.

This would be similar to the Cutler trade. But instead of banking on a young talent that has shown flashes, and hope you can take him to the next level. Mack is already a top 5 pass rusher in the league. It'd be a gamble giving up a pair of 1sts, but Mack's a player that can put you into the playoffs. And giving up a pick in the 20s is much more tolerable than giving up a pick where the Bears have picked in recent years. It also would likely move the 2nd rounder (to the Patriots) down a decent bit.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:27 pm

What's pissing me off even more about the Smith whathaveyou is that we could have traded out of 9 and scooped up extra capital which would have made the eventual lack of a 2019 2nd much easier to navigate around. Only a handful of times in the last decade have I felt that there was a non-pass rushing LB who was a must-have, and Smith wasn't one of them. Hope of course that he proves me wrong but I always feel like a guy like that can be found in the middle rounds each and every year. It bugs me that Pace locks onto his guys and isn't willing to risk a move back to stack chips.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:14 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:What's pissing me off even more about the Smith whathaveyou is that we could have traded out of 9 and scooped up extra capital which would have made the eventual lack of a 2019 2nd much easier to navigate around. Only a handful of times in the last decade have I felt that there was a non-pass rushing LB who was a must-have, and Smith wasn't one of them. Hope of course that he proves me wrong but I always feel like a guy like that can be found in the middle rounds each and every year. It bugs me that Pace locks onto his guys and isn't willing to risk a move back to stack chips.

If we somehow walk away with Mack, I could live with it
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:02 am

Hows Joseph doing? He had a pass defense/forced INT Thursday night. Any chance he sticks?
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:36 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:Hows Joseph doing? He had a pass defense/forced INT Thursday night. Any chance he sticks?

It would be pretty incredible if he did.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”