NFL Offseason

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: NFL Offseason

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:53 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:It would be cheap on draft day, if you were specifically trading up for your guy. At this point, they could be trading that for their second or third choice. The Bills, for one, might still look to leapfrog them into number 2.

The Bills are my greatest "get Allen off the board ASAP" hope even over the Browns.

We've got an insider on the Jets board I post, as do all sports forums, and he's saying this is for Rosen or Mayfield with the preference being Rosen. He's saying the timing is no coincidence, this trade came after both of their pro days this week.
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:58 pm

We can also hope that this will turn into a Sonny Weaver "Draft Day" ruse.

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:15 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:3 2nds is cheap?

If it finally fixes the QB position then absolutely.

I'm just terrified they will botch it and take Josh Allen with his horrendous 56.2% completetion rate. Someone probably needs to save the Jets from themselves and take him.

That's not how valuation works and that trade wasn't close to cheap.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:51 pm

How do you even make that trade when you have already signed not one, but two veteran QB's? Looks like Bridgewater's contract could earn as much as $15m and Josh McCown's guaranteed money sits at $6m. And then you trade 3 second rounders while swapping just three places to pick up a guy who has little chance of seeing the field in 2018? Yikes.

That move probably cost Indy the opportunity to draft Chubb, but all of those picks make it worth it, I suppose. If they miss out on Chubb, I could see them trade down again. I'm convinced the Giants draft a QB or trade to someone who will. Cleveland will end up with Darnold and Chubb.

I suppose I overreacted on the Trubisky trade up last year, so maybe there is a bigger silver lining to this Jets move. I'm just not really seeing it. I don't see them trading up for anything but a QB, and even then, they are looking at potentially the 3rd best QB available. This draft is a bit crazy already.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:52 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:That's not how valuation works and that trade wasn't close to cheap.

If any position in the NFL did for a franchise what the QB position can do I would agree. Nail the pick and the cost of the trade will never come up again, no different from the Wentz trade. It helps that this draft mostly sucks outside of some IOL, Denzel Ward, Landry, and some interesting ILB prospects plus they kept their 2019 first.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:57 pm

BigbadB wrote:How do you even make that trade when you have already signed not one, but two veteran QB's? Looks like Bridgewater's contract could earn as much as $15m and Josh McCown's guaranteed money sits at $6m. And then you trade 3 second rounders while swapping just three places to pick up a guy who has little chance of seeing the field in 2018? Yikes.

That move probably cost Indy the opportunity to draft Chubb, but all of those picks make it worth it, I suppose. If they miss out on Chubb, I could see them trade down again. I'm convinced the Giants draft a QB or trade to someone who will. Cleveland will end up with Darnold and Chubb.

I suppose I overreacted on the Trubisky trade up last year, so maybe there is a bigger silver lining to this Jets move. I'm just not really seeing it. I don't see them trading up for anything but a QB, and even then, they are looking at potentially the 3rd best QB available. This draft is a bit crazy already.

Whoa this is a bad take. Bridgewater on a one year deal, having hardly played since almost losing his leg and 52 year old Josh McCown should have zero impact on s teams drafting a QB.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:21 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:That's not how valuation works and that trade wasn't close to cheap.

If any position in the NFL did for a franchise what the QB position can do I would agree. Nail the pick and the cost of the trade will never come up again, no different from the Wentz trade. It helps that this draft mostly sucks outside of some IOL, Denzel Ward, Landry, and some interesting ILB prospects plus they kept their 2019 first.

I think you are glossing over the part where the jets have to pick the right guy and develop him. The trade wasn't cheap.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:33 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:I think you are glossing over the part where the jets have to pick the right guy and develop him. The trade wasn't cheap.

Fair enough, and secretly I think they're going to blow it anyway.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:46 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:I think you are glossing over the part where the jets have to pick the right guy and develop him. The trade wasn't cheap.

Fair enough, and secretly I think they're going to blow it anyway.

I know jets fans they all think they will blow it
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:00 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:I know jets fans they all think they will blow it

Yep, and "hey at least the Cubs signed Darvish plus have Bryant and Rizzo" doesn't do for them what it does for me.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:53 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ndin-cooks

I'm giving this one to the Rams right now but won't be surprised when the Pats walk out of the first with the top WR (Sutton) and my favorite pass rushing prospect (Landry).
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:35 am

So the Raiders cut a punter (I know it's just a punter) because of personality issues but trade for a guy who got suspended for a year for repeated drug violations and got sent to the practice squad for a week because he ripped a teammate on social media and bitched about the lack of passes going his way.

The second Gruden era is going to be a horsefeathering disaster.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:47 am

0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:13 am

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA