NFL Offseason

David
Inner-Circle HOF

NFL Offseason

Postby David » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:01 pm

Is it just me or do these seem like extremely underwhelming coordinator choices?

I feel pretty damn good about the Bears' staff after seeing that.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Re: NFL Offseason

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:35 pm

I would always like to err on the side of wait and see (Nagy doesn’t have a playoff game to coach), but yea. Nagy seems far more on his game then McD at this point. is this a sign of perspective coordinators opinion if each coach?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:37 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:I would always like to err on the side of wait and see (Nagy doesn’t have a playoff game to coach), but yea. Nagy seems far more on his game then McD at this point. is this a sign of perspective coordinators opinion if each coach?

if those were the bears' coordinator hires i'd be ready to jump off a building as a fan
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:43 pm

David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:I would always like to err on the side of wait and see (Nagy doesn’t have a playoff game to coach), but yea. Nagy seems far more on his game then McD at this point. is this a sign of perspective coordinators opinion if each coach?

if those were the bears' coordinator hires i'd be ready to jump off a building as a fan

The OC has been in the NFL since 2008, with one year in the middle working at Alabama.
The bears OC has zero NFL experience and was in a broadcast booth last year.
They are at least on similar ground.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:56 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:

The OC has been in the NFL since 2008, with one year in the middle working at Alabama.
The bears OC has zero NFL experience and was in a broadcast booth last year.
They are at least on similar ground.

i think college HC and coordinator (particularly in one of the more innovative offensive systems around) is a much stronger resume than the entry level assistant roles this peetz dude has held for most of that time...he just this season made it as high as qb coach. not to mention the first few years of that was in a scouting capacity.

if it's true, i can't help but think it adds some credence to the idea that mcdaniels is a jag that nobody (players or coaches) would like working with.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

NFL Offseason

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Yea, all of what david said And the fact that Nagy and McD will likely call the plays anyway
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:28 pm

irsay is so horsefeathering weird

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Chuc ... f915d4b5b7

this is just bizarre
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:33 pm

0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:52 pm

The Packers are going to have to issue new stock to afford Rodgers next contract
2 x
Screw Pitchers

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:11 pm

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:23 pm

That seems like a very good hire for an abundantly talented team, but the picture removes any sense of intimidation and now I assume he'll be terrible.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:26 pm

It's a good hire but I don't anticipate him doing a much better job than what Shurmur did last year with Keenum, so whatever. Would've been nice if they got stuck with someone worse, though.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:01 pm

David wrote:

it's cool that every QB will get to take turns being the highest paid player in league history for a few days
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:12 am

Some non-QB FAs I think can be good buys for teams during the FA period. Cap’s exploding over the next three years, these are guys I think can look like relative bargains:

Ryan Jensen - Only a one year starter but as the center of FO’s 6th ranked run blocking OL and 4th in pass protection. Has a whole red hair gimmick thing for the folks watching at home. Zach Fulton might get similar money and has never started. I’m expecting $9-10 million

Trey Burton - Top ten TE by both DVOA and DYAR in 2017. If someone wants a potential posession guy sign this guy instead of Jarvis Landry and save $6+ million. I’m thinking he gets anywhere from $6-8 million

Paul Richardson WR - Top 25 WR by DYAR and top 20 by DVOA in 2017 with 6 TDs. $10 million

Chris Hubbard RT - Shorter RT but versatile and was servicable filling in for Gilbert with the Steelers. I like James from the Dolphins more but they have to cut him whereas Hubbard is a UFA. $7 million? James might get $10 million if cut, league is really short on OT talent.

Adrian Clayborn DE - Yes, 6 of his sacks came in one game but still a solid and somewhat versatile pass rusher. $10 million

EJ Gaines - Breeland, Dennard, and Robinson are three other starting outside CBs after Johnson and Fuller that will get lots of attention, but Gaines was strong for a very good pass defense and offers a little more versatility. My favorite buy among the CBs this offseason. If someone really wants to get nuts, Revis wasn’t terrible last year and might sign both late and cheap.

Trent Murphy DE/LB - Coming off a torn ACL, but did put up 9 sacks in 2016. Beastly 6.78 3-cone during the 2014 combine at 250+.

Yeah Murphy is where you dig into injured guys (Eifert), pick-your-Buster Skrine slot CB no one will really like (the Rams guy? Colvin from the Jags?) in a couple years...I like Vaccaro for someone out there among injured veterans.

Some guys I think get way overpaid (it’s not going to be Cousins, Bell, Johnson, Lawrence, or Norwell; those guys are studs):

Literally every non-Cousins QB, though maybe Chase Daniel is next year’s Keenum

Jarvis Landry - Does lots of things well, making big plays is not one of them. Catches the ball but the guys who get paid what he is asking or more do stuff like score TDs

Sefarian-Jenkins - Crazy tools, ideal frame, but literally one of the worst players in the NFL last year by DVOA and DYAR, asking for $6-8 million

Jimmy Graham - Someome will pay for the 10 TDs he caught but otherwise hasn’t been a top TE in a while

Ezekiel Ansah - Too many injuries
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:22 pm

0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:59 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Some non-QB FAs I think can be good buys for teams during the FA period. Cap’s exploding over the next three years, these are guys I think can look like relative bargains:

Ryan Jensen - Only a one year starter but as the center of FO’s 6th ranked run blocking OL and 4th in pass protection. Has a whole red hair gimmick thing for the folks watching at home. Zach Fulton might get similar money and has never started. I’m expecting $9-10 million

Trey Burton - Top ten TE by both DVOA and DYAR in 2017. If someone wants a potential posession guy sign this guy instead of Jarvis Landry and save $6+ million. I’m thinking he gets anywhere from $6-8 million

Paul Richardson WR - Top 25 WR by DYAR and top 20 by DVOA in 2017 with 6 TDs. $10 million

Chris Hubbard RT - Shorter RT but versatile and was servicable filling in for Gilbert with the Steelers. I like James from the Dolphins more but they have to cut him whereas Hubbard is a UFA. $7 million? James might get $10 million if cut, league is really short on OT talent.

Adrian Clayborn DE - Yes, 6 of his sacks came in one game but still a solid and somewhat versatile pass rusher. $10 million

EJ Gaines - Breeland, Dennard, and Robinson are three other starting outside CBs after Johnson and Fuller that will get lots of attention, but Gaines was strong for a very good pass defense and offers a little more versatility. My favorite buy among the CBs this offseason. If someone really wants to get nuts, Revis wasn’t terrible last year and might sign both late and cheap.

Trent Murphy DE/LB - Coming off a torn ACL, but did put up 9 sacks in 2016. Beastly 6.78 3-cone during the 2014 combine at 250+.

Yeah Murphy is where you dig into injured guys (Eifert), pick-your-Buster Skrine slot CB no one will really like (the Rams guy? Colvin from the Jags?) in a couple years...I like Vaccaro for someone out there among injured veterans.

Some guys I think get way overpaid (it’s not going to be Cousins, Bell, Johnson, Lawrence, or Norwell; those guys are studs):

Literally every non-Cousins QB, though maybe Chase Daniel is next year’s Keenum

Jarvis Landry - Does lots of things well, making big plays is not one of them. Catches the ball but the guys who get paid what he is asking or more do stuff like score TDs

Sefarian-Jenkins - Crazy tools, ideal frame, but literally one of the worst players in the NFL last year by DVOA and DYAR, asking for $6-8 million

Jimmy Graham - Someome will pay for the 10 TDs he caught but otherwise hasn’t been a top TE in a while

Ezekiel Ansah - Too many injuries

Good list. These are the types of guys I want the Bears to look at. Teams usually regret star chasing in free agency in the NFL, unless they are at the point where they are that 1 star player away from being an elite team.

I'd also add:

Junior Galette- he's turning 30 and going to be 4 years removed from back-to-back double digit sack seasons. But he was one of the most productive pass rushers in limited snaps last year coming off injury. Should only require a 1 or 2 year deal for cheap.

https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/960671241681059840

Jeremiah Attaochu- had 6 sacks in a limited role in 2015. Dealt with injuries the last 2 years and the Chargers moved to a 4-3 making him an odd fit. Just turned 25.

Ross Cockrell- tossed aside by the Steelers after 2016 despite being solid. Above average (per PFF) for the Giants this past season.

Kony Ealy- has had a pretty weird career. Slow start, then had a huge Superbowl for Carolina. Traded to the Patriots, who cut him soon after. But then had a decent season for the Jets. Only 26.

Also guys like DaQuan Jones, Albert Wilson, Beau Allen, and Donte Moncrief are guys who could either start for a team or have a pretty prominent role for under the 5M per year mark.

And if I'm a team like Jacksonville, NY Giants, Saints, etc. that has either an iffy QB or an old QB, I'd definitely bring in Teddy Bridgewater. He's one of my top graded QBs in the last 5 years and is still just 25. He can definitely play if he's healthy.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:16 pm

rawaction wrote:Good list. These are the types of guys I want the Bears to look at. Teams usually regret star chasing in free agency in the NFL, unless they are at the point where they are that 1 star player away from being an elite team.

I'd also add:

Junior Galette- he's turning 30 and going to be 4 years removed from back-to-back double digit sack seasons. But he was one of the most productive pass rushers in limited snaps last year coming off injury. Should only require a 1 or 2 year deal for cheap.

https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/960671241681059840

Jeremiah Attaochu- had 6 sacks in a limited role in 2015. Dealt with injuries the last 2 years and the Chargers moved to a 4-3 making him an odd fit. Just turned 25.

Ross Cockrell- tossed aside by the Steelers after 2016 despite being solid. Above average (per PFF) for the Giants this past season.

Kony Ealy- has had a pretty weird career. Slow start, then had a huge Superbowl for Carolina. Traded to the Patriots, who cut him soon after. But then had a decent season for the Jets. Only 26.

Also guys like DaQuan Jones, Albert Wilson, Beau Allen, and Donte Moncrief are guys who could either start for a team or have a pretty prominent role for under the 5M per year mark.

And if I'm a team like Jacksonville, NY Giants, Saints, etc. that has either an iffy QB or an old QB, I'd definitely bring in Teddy Bridgewater. He's one of my top graded QBs in the last 5 years and is still just 25. He can definitely play if he's healthy.

Bridgewater’s one of my favorite college players ever so I will root hard for him but he’s going to cash in on what I see as wildly overstated pro starter potential. IIRC amputation was seriously considered for his injury, I just cannot imagine that leg holding up in the NFL.

Moncrief’s too one dimensional for me, maybe could do well in a deep offense that can let him just run deep. He is actually the kind of FA I would avoid this year, but I root for a terrible team with no QB. DaQuan Jones is a really good name for the list. Attaochu doesn’t have much FA competition as a pass rusher, seems interesting enough.

One thing I did not notice until doing this is how bad the offensive tackle situation is in the league. Initially when I checked out upcoming NFL free agents it was specifically to find OTs, but until the Dolphins foolishly hopefully cut James I can’t say anyone is so interesting.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:55 pm

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:46 pm

Jets released Mo Wilkerson today. Pre-contract he was one of maybe a handful 300+ defenders capable of logging huge workloads (guy was playing 80% of the D snaps) while maintaining above average to elite skills across the board. I give him (and any player who can pull it off) props for getting paid and throwing a middle finger up at the sport, being rich in your mid-20s is much easier when you're not braindead and still have cartilidge, but lol Jets.

Forte retiring is a good call. He'll work in football forever anyway, seems relatively healthy, and horsefeathers what a player. There's no class of athlete (person?) better than the high volume, widely skilled player with a good head on his shoulders.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:03 am

Saquon Barkley ran a faster 40 than Devin Hester
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:10 am

Derwood wrote:Saquon Barkley ran a faster 40 than Devin Hester

He absolutely should be the #1 pick by the Browns
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:13 am

Cubswin11 wrote:He absolutely should be the #1 pick by the Browns

if they had a QB.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:28 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:He absolutely should be the #1 pick by the Browns

if they had a QB.

Take one at 4 or sign one of the FAs. Don’t lose out on Barkley. I also think all the QBs in this draft kinda suck or their upside isn’t all that great for using the #1 pick on.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:42 am

Derwood wrote:Saquon Barkley ran a faster 40 than Devin Hester

it's much more impressive than just that

1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:55 am

I really really REALLY hope he doesn't flame out in the NFL like every PSU running back (besides Larry Johnson) has
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”