2018 NBA Offseason

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49302
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 424
x 1198

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed May 16, 2018 11:01 pm

If teams rotate in and out of the divisions what’s the point of them?
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73963
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2217
x 3241
Contact:

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby UMFan83 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:03 pm

davell wrote:Salaries or teams being over the cap doesn't bother me at all, with the NBA. In a perfect world, you don't have guys making super teams, but that's just how it is at this point. It sucks you go into a season knowing there's only 2-3 teams that have a shot at winning it all. But, I think that's just how it's going to be unfortunately.

My changes would be to switch to an even schedule, no more Eastern and Western Conferences. 4 Divisions, which teams rotate in and out of. A drawing for playoff matchups and which divisions play which each year first, takes the place of the draft lotto. Because I'd go to a 30 year Wheel, in which every team gets to know EXACTLY where they pick in each draft for that entire period of time.


I like the wheel idea. It’s not perfect but I think it’s the best way to eliminate tanking. Although it would suck to wait 30 years for the #1 pick and then end up having it in a poor draft year.

How about the wheel but instead of each pick once every 30 years, you put 5 groups of 6 teams together. Group 1 has a random draw for picks 1-6. Group 2 has a random draw for picks 7-12, etc etc. it at least puts some luck back into it and every 5 years you have a chance at the number 1 pick.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24259
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 22
x 2177
Contact:

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby Brian » Wed May 16, 2018 11:43 pm

Why not all lottery teams get 1 ball/same odds? Then teams that were never going to compete have no incentive to make their team worse. Rebuilding teams can try and maybe make a run, but if they fall short they can still get lucky.
1 x

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20868
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1555
x 2001

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby davell » Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:If teams rotate in and out of the divisions what’s the point of them?


Just to have teams set for playoff match ups. I don't know. Was thinking it conceivably could help stop the super teams, in fear of multiple super teams being put in the same division randomly.

Edit- Without thinking too much on this, maybe something like 2 teams leave each division every two years. And stagger that, to where only 4 teams a year switch. Maybe you're not allowed to move twice in a row either, to give a bit of continuity? Probably grasping at straws, the draft is more important to me than eliminating super teams.
Last edited by davell on Thu May 17, 2018 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20868
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1555
x 2001

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby davell » Thu May 17, 2018 12:51 am

UMFan83 wrote:
davell wrote:Salaries or teams being over the cap doesn't bother me at all, with the NBA. In a perfect world, you don't have guys making super teams, but that's just how it is at this point. It sucks you go into a season knowing there's only 2-3 teams that have a shot at winning it all. But, I think that's just how it's going to be unfortunately.

My changes would be to switch to an even schedule, no more Eastern and Western Conferences. 4 Divisions, which teams rotate in and out of. A drawing for playoff matchups and which divisions play which each year first, takes the place of the draft lotto. Because I'd go to a 30 year Wheel, in which every team gets to know EXACTLY where they pick in each draft for that entire period of time.


I like the wheel idea. It’s not perfect but I think it’s the best way to eliminate tanking. Although it would suck to wait 30 years for the #1 pick and then end up having it in a poor draft year.

How about the wheel but instead of each pick once every 30 years, you put 5 groups of 6 teams together. Group 1 has a random draw for picks 1-6. Group 2 has a random draw for picks 7-12, etc etc. it at least puts some luck back into it and every 5 years you have a chance at the number 1 pick.


That could work too. I just like the idea of getting rid of protected picks. If you trade for a pick 4 years out, your know exactly what you were getting.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30866
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 368

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby Andy » Thu May 17, 2018 2:22 am

Brian wrote:Why not all lottery teams get 1 ball/same odds? Then teams that were never going to compete have no incentive to make their team worse. Rebuilding teams can try and maybe make a run, but if they fall short they can still get lucky.

This is what I think, and it's what used to happen when the lottery first came to be.

The only potential issue with that is like garbage 8 seed teams maybe trying to tank into the lottery, but I doubt it would be as prevalent or as bad for the game as even the 'reformed' lottery.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ding Dong Johnson and 3 guests