2018 NBA Offseason

davell
Hall of Fame

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby davell » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:52 pm

2 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:17 am

0 x
-The Plan worked!!

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:17 am

LeBron’s a Laker. 4/$154M
0 x

Sosa21MVP
5-Time All-Star

Postby Sosa21MVP » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:19 am

Saves him some time and effort to just lose to the Warriors before the Finals I suppose.
2 x

itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:20 am

Sosa21MVP wrote:Saves him some time and effort to just lose to the Warriors before the Finals I suppose.

Definitely glad one of the Warriors or LBJ isn’t in the finals next year for sure.
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:28 am

People who know basketball better than I do: Are the Lakers with LeBron an actual threat in the West? It doesn't seem like it to me.
0 x

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:30 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:People who know basketball better than I do: Are the Lakers with LeBron an actual threat in the West? It doesn't seem like it to me.

once they get kawhi, absolutely
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:31 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:People who know basketball better than I do: Are the Lakers with LeBron an actual threat in the West? It doesn't seem like it to me.

Not as currently constructed. As it is, they’ll probably win 45-50 next year. But they’re also probably not done.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:34 am

As a Laker fan I don’t think so for this year and I absolutely hate this direction. Lebron, Kwahi and whatever young guys they have left + vet mins is not enough to win the West and they’re screwing up building a long term team here. They are locked in to Lebron until he’s 37/38 now. Sign him this offseason fine, but don’t trade everyone for Kwahi. Wait until next year when Kwahi, Klay, AD, Durant and others are FA then you have all these interesting young dudes plus 2-3 other FA and a much more complete team.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:37 am

Cubswin11 wrote:

As a Laker fan I don’t think so for this year and I absolutely hate this direction. Lebron, Kwahi and whatever young guys they have left + vet mins is not enough to win the West and they’re screwing up building a long term team here. They are locked in to Lebron until he’s 37/38 now. Sign him this offseason fine, but don’t trade everyone for Kwahi. Wait until next year when Kwahi, Klay, AD, Durant and others are FA then you have all these interesting young dudes plus 2-3 other FA and a much more complete team.

kawhi leonard is insanely good and better than any combination of players they're going to have to give up
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:39 am

SpongeWorthy wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

kawhi leonard is insanely good and better than any combination of players they're going to have to give up

Right, but they aren’t winning this year anyways and it makes the team thinner for a few years if they just wait.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:45 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
SpongeWorthy wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:As a Laker fan I don’t think so for this year and I absolutely hate this direction. Lebron, Kwahi and whatever young guys they have left + vet mins is not enough to win the West and they’re screwing up building a long term team here. They are locked in to Lebron until he’s 37/38 now. Sign him this offseason fine, but don’t trade everyone for Kwahi. Wait until next year when Kwahi, Klay, AD, Durant and others are FA then you have all these interesting young dudes plus 2-3 other FA and a much more complete team.

Right, but they aren’t winning this year anyways and it makes the team thinner for a few years if they just wait.

well we'll see what they have to give up either this offseason or at some point midseason if kawhi sticks to his guns about wanting to play in LA...i think they could end up with leonard without having to give up ingram and kuzma.

and lebron/kawhi/filler is good to be enough to make a serious run at golden state
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:48 am

Biggest winners in this LeBron deal are the Celtics and Sixers
2 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:53 am

Cubswin11 wrote:

You hate this direction? Any decent player will be throwing themselves at the Lakers for pennies on the dollar to play for the Lakers especially if the get Leonard. I know LeBron is getting old but having LeBron locked in for 3 years is not bad. I really don’t see a direction the Lakers could have taken that gave them better odds of contending in the next 3 years. They are not at all good enough right now but they got the most important part
1 x
Win it for Fred

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:01 am

UMFan83 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

You hate this direction? Any decent player will be throwing themselves at the Lakers for pennies on the dollar to play for the Lakers especially if the get Leonard. I know LeBron is getting old but having LeBron locked in for 3 years is not bad. I really don’t see a direction the Lakers could have taken that gave them better odds of contending in the next 3 years. They are not at all good enough right now but they got the most important part

If they could pull it off they could’ve ended up with any combination of the guys i mentioned for only money the next 2 offseason and still kept the young guys to have a really complete team with better longevity instead of shorting a window by trading most off to get Kwahi now.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:21 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:As a Laker fan I don’t think so for this year and I absolutely hate this direction. Lebron, Kwahi and whatever young guys they have left + vet mins is not enough to win the West and they’re screwing up building a long term team here. They are locked in to Lebron until he’s 37/38 now. Sign him this offseason fine, but don’t trade everyone for Kwahi. Wait until next year when Kwahi, Klay, AD, Durant and others are FA then you have all these interesting young dudes plus 2-3 other FA and a much more complete team.

If they could pull it off they could’ve ended up with any combination of the guys i mentioned for only money the next 2 offseason and still kept the young guys to have a really complete team with better longevity instead of shorting a window by trading most off to get Kwahi now.

Even for LA there is no guarantees in FA especially in a world where FAs make significantly more money with their current teams. I think that if there’s a chance to get the best player in the NBA right now you do it. I get your overall point but I just can’t ageee with this being a bad direction. Maybe suboptimal direction.
0 x
Win it for Fred

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:27 am

SpongeWorthy wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
SpongeWorthy wrote:

well we'll see what they have to give up either this offseason or at some point midseason if kawhi sticks to his guns about wanting to play in LA...i think they could end up with leonard without having to give up ingram and kuzma.

and lebron/kawhi/filler is good to be enough to make a serious run at golden state

Ingram is the main one I don’t want to give up. I thought he made huge strides last year being able to get to the rim and with his shooting.
1 x
In Theo we trust.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:32 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Yeah, in an ideal world, you have LeBron this year, bring back Randle and see how the young guys progress. Then bring in another free agent next year. Not sure if LeBron is okay essentially punting on winning a title next year (he should be because they aren’t beating the Warriors next year anyway).
1 x
In Theo we trust.

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:36 am

lol

0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:16 am

soccer10k wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Yeah, in an ideal world, you have LeBron this year, bring back Randle and see how the young guys progress. Then bring in another free agent next year. Not sure if LeBron is okay essentially punting on winning a title next year (he should be because they aren’t beating the Warriors next year anyway).

That’s my thinking as well. Let Ingram grow another year, Kuzma is a nice wing player to pair with Lebron and Lonzo I still like. Also do a 1 year deal for Boogie. Enough to be interesting, not enough to win. Make sure Ingram doesn’t really take another huge leap and get a guy or two next year when the picture is clearer on what the young guys are.

Lonzo, Kwahi or Klay, Lebron, Kuzma, Ingram and Randle would let you do a lot of Warriors like things. I just hope they’re patient and Lebron bought in to it for the year instead of false title hopes.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:52 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
soccer10k wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:If they could pull it off they could’ve ended up with any combination of the guys i mentioned for only money the next 2 offseason and still kept the young guys to have a really complete team with better longevity instead of shorting a window by trading most off to get Kwahi now.

That’s my thinking as well. Let Ingram grow another year, Kuzma is a nice wing player to pair with Lebron and Lonzo I still like. Also do a 1 year deal for Boogie. Enough to be interesting, not enough to win. Make sure Ingram doesn’t really take another huge leap and get a guy or two next year when the picture is clearer on what the young guys are.

Lonzo, Kwahi or Klay, Lebron, Kuzma, Ingram and Randle would let you do a lot of Warriors like things. I just hope they’re patient and Lebron bought in to it for the year instead of false title hopes.

if you trade for kawhi this year you have a good shot at winning the title this year and you nip the possibility of him being traded to someone that can talk him into staying like OKC did with george

also, lebron is great but i don't think you can just burn seasons with him at this point
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:54 am

SpongeWorthy wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
soccer10k wrote:

if you trade for kawhi this year you have a good shot at winning the title this year and you nip the possibility of him being traded to someone that can talk him into staying like OKC did with george

also, lebron is great but i don't think you can just burn seasons with him at this point

They’re the third best team in their own conference with Kawhi and probably still behind at least one of the Celtics or Sixers in the East. They don’t have a good shot, imo.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:17 am

No
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:38 am

That's a lot of money to finish second to Golden State
0 x

illiniguy
Hall of Fame

Postby illiniguy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:47 am

I think they have to go for broke now trade for Leonard and sign Boogie. Mostly because I want to see Boogie react to being told to stand in a corner like Love and Bosh were.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”