2018 NBA Offseason

User avatar
bcl412
Superstar
Posts: 15703
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:02 pm
Location: Boston
x 227
x 550

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby bcl412 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:17 pm

You gotta form a super team to win but I this point I don’t trust Leonard’s health or attitude. I’m not sold even a super team lakers gets out of the West and then beats a healthy Celtics team. I’m not so sure LeBron wins a ring in LA
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67985
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 984
x 1878

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:23 pm

OleMissCub wrote:That's a lot of money to finish second to Golden State


Third to Golden State and Houston
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67985
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 984
x 1878

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:04 pm

This morning I’m reading that a Kawhi trade is all but impossible at this point. The Lakers are over the cap, so any trade needs to be dollar for dollar. How do the Lakers line that up?
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55638
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 421
x 5825

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm sure they'll get another star but even if they do that Lakers team seems like a crummy match. Randle can't shoot and to my knowledge isn't really a rim protector. Ball can't shoot. Kuzma and Ingram can shoot with size, but neither are a rim protector or rebounder so there's a question of how much they fit on a defensive floor with LeBron. Everyone else on that roster is forgettable. The best version of the Cavs with healthy Love/Irving had the rest of the supporting cast pretty finely calibrated(peak Thompson, JR, Shumpert), I'm not even sure if the Lakers have the supporting cast, never mind the other stars.

EDIT: Forgot the rest of the new additions. Wagner and Kansas McRussianname goes in the same pile with Kuzma/Ingram, useful scorers who don't fit great on the other end. Stephenson can't shoot. McGee is a solid rim protector that will get his share of dunks as long as he doesn't get stuffed by the rim too often.
0 x

User avatar
rawaction
Hall of Fame
Posts: 34070
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 11:04 pm
x 697
x 608

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby rawaction » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:18 pm

So, just thinking. I know last year they didn't do West vs. East and did team captains with LeBron and Curry. But if they did, it would be a much better game with the West snubs against the East all-stars

West All-Star gimmes (if healthy)- LeBron, Curry, Durant, Paul, Harden, Westbrook, Leonard, Davis, Cousins

You could have several really good players MISS the AS game from the West. Including: Thompson, Green, Aldridge, Lillard, Towns, Butler, Wiggins, George, Kuzma, Gasol, Conley. Only 3 of these guys can make it to the All-Star game, if we assume the above 9 are locks. Then you still have guys like Lou Williams, McCollum, Mitchell, Jokic, Booker, Murray, etc. who are really good players that will have no shot at making the team.

The East isn't terrible, but I think Embiid or healthy Kyrie are the best players and I don't think either is as good as the top 9 players in the West.

Embiid
Kyrie
DeRozan
Wall
Antetokounmpo
Beall
Kemba
Horford
Oladipo
Love
Simmons
Hayward
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77148
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9503
x 12632

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:41 pm

rawaction wrote:The East isn't terrible


OBJECTION.
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49450
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 496
x 1376

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:45 pm

Derwood wrote:This morning I’m reading that a Kawhi trade is all but impossible at this point. The Lakers are over the cap, so any trade needs to be dollar for dollar. How do the Lakers line that up?


The same way most trades occur in the NBA
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67985
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 984
x 1878

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:19 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Derwood wrote:This morning I’m reading that a Kawhi trade is all but impossible at this point. The Lakers are over the cap, so any trade needs to be dollar for dollar. How do the Lakers line that up?


The same way most trades occur in the NBA


They before the lakers signed those one-year deals with Stephenson et al they could have absorbed the Kawhi contract while trading away contracts if lower value. Now they can’t. At least that was my take away
0 x

User avatar
itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star
Posts: 3619
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:38 pm
x 121
x 906

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:21 pm

rawaction wrote:So, just thinking. I know last year they didn't do West vs. East and did team captains with LeBron and Curry. But if they did, it would be a much better game with the West snubs against the East all-stars

West All-Star gimmes (if healthy)- LeBron, Curry, Durant, Paul, Harden, Westbrook, Leonard, Davis, Cousins

You could have several really good players MISS the AS game from the West. Including: Thompson, Green, Aldridge, Lillard, Towns, Butler, Wiggins, George, Kuzma, Gasol, Conley. Only 3 of these guys can make it to the All-Star game, if we assume the above 9 are locks. Then you still have guys like Lou Williams, McCollum, Mitchell, Jokic, Booker, Murray, etc. who are really good players that will have no shot at making the team.

The East isn't terrible, but I think Embiid or healthy Kyrie are the best players and I don't think either is as good as the top 9 players in the West.

Markkanen
Embiid
Kyrie
DeRozan
Wall
Antetokounmpo
Beall
Kemba
Horford
Oladipo
Love
Simmons
Hayward
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

abmillis
All-Star
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Centralia, IL
x 395
x 88

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby abmillis » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Derwood wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
Derwood wrote:This morning I’m reading that a Kawhi trade is all but impossible at this point. The Lakers are over the cap, so any trade needs to be dollar for dollar. How do the Lakers line that up?


The same way most trades occur in the NBA


They before the lakers signed those one-year deals with Stephenson et al they could have absorbed the Kawhi contract while trading away contracts if lower value. Now they can’t. At least that was my take away


As of right now, these are just agreements, not signings. So it really all just depends on when they make the different deals official.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22525
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5624
x 4307

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:09 pm

The Lakers now have the best odds to win the championship this year. Lol. There’s value in betting the Warriors right now
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32478
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2179
x 5598
Contact:

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:41 am

i wonder if gsw will be good this year
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star
Posts: 3619
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:38 pm
x 121
x 906

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:42 am

Boogie to the Warriors....
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 76829
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2711
x 4053
Contact:

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:45 am

NBA is broken. I know ratings are sky high and maybe the NBA loves the buzz that a super team brings to a national audience but I feel like in local markets it can only hurt the other 26 or so teams that are just kind of there.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
rawaction
Hall of Fame
Posts: 34070
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 11:04 pm
x 697
x 608

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby rawaction » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:50 am

UMFan83 wrote:NBA is broken. I know ratings are sky high and maybe the NBA loves the buzz that a super team brings to a national audience but I feel like in local markets it can only hurt the other 26 or so teams that are just kind of there.


It doesn't.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22603
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 766
x 1346

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:50 am

so horsefeathering stupid
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37454
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 1
x 1203

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby soccer10k » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:58 am

Hooray for another boring year where one team has a chance to win a title!
0 x
In Theo we trust.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 76829
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2711
x 4053
Contact:

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:00 am

The Warriors will now have 1/3 of the 2016 gold medal winning US men basketball team. And that doesn’t include Curry who was left off the roster due to injury
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
bcl412
Superstar
Posts: 15703
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:02 pm
Location: Boston
x 227
x 550

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby bcl412 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:02 am

I mean, Cousins has an Achilles year so who knows what you’ll get but if he can be as good as before how do th Warriors lose games? They’re just what I did in video games when I was 8 in real life
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67985
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 984
x 1878

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:19 am

bcl412 wrote:I mean, Cousins has an Achilles year so who knows what you’ll get but if he can be as good as before how do th Warriors lose games? They’re just what I did in video games when I was 8 in real life


They'll be crazy good, but there's still just one ball and a lot of guys who want to score.
0 x

User avatar
bcl412
Superstar
Posts: 15703
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:02 pm
Location: Boston
x 227
x 550

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby bcl412 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:22 am

Derwood wrote:
bcl412 wrote:I mean, Cousins has an Achilles year so who knows what you’ll get but if he can be as good as before how do th Warriors lose games? They’re just what I did in video games when I was 8 in real life


They'll be crazy good, but there's still just one ball and a lot of guys who want to score.


The Warriors thing has been figuring out how to share the ball. Maybe at some point that stops and Cousins can be a head case...but nobody is beating them
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 36830
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1037
x 1388

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:25 am

This was more about GS not letting LA get him than it was the Warriors wanting him
0 x
Image

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37454
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 1
x 1203

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby soccer10k » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:28 am

OleMissCub wrote:This was more about GS not letting LA get him than it was the Warriors wanting him


The Lakers could have gotten him for that price if they wanted to.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

User avatar
rawaction
Hall of Fame
Posts: 34070
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 11:04 pm
x 697
x 608

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby rawaction » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:29 am

Derwood wrote:
bcl412 wrote:I mean, Cousins has an Achilles year so who knows what you’ll get but if he can be as good as before how do th Warriors lose games? They’re just what I did in video games when I was 8 in real life


They'll be crazy good, but there's still just one ball and a lot of guys who want to score.


And that still doesn't matter. The Warriors would have won the 2019 title easily without Cousins.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67985
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 984
x 1878

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:35 am

rawaction wrote:
Derwood wrote:
bcl412 wrote:I mean, Cousins has an Achilles year so who knows what you’ll get but if he can be as good as before how do th Warriors lose games? They’re just what I did in video games when I was 8 in real life


They'll be crazy good, but there's still just one ball and a lot of guys who want to score.


And that still doesn't matter. The Warriors would have won the 2019 title easily without Cousins.


Easily? They were down 3-2 to Houston last year, coming close to not even making the finals. Without Cousins, are they "easily" better than Houston in 18-19?
0 x


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests