Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 16591
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: da Salish Sea
x 907
x 571

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:09 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:Judging from that last post, jersey had as much to drink as I did

Mitch looked like Grossman on his bad throws

That was a case of fat finger typing with eyes half open this morning. I only had ~4 beers and couple glasses of wine last night.



Yup. Same.
0 x
Image

User avatar
rawaction
Hall of Fame
Posts: 34158
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 11:04 pm
x 703
x 625

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby rawaction » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Apparently there are people that aren't too happy about this win. I understand being concerned about Trubisky. But to be disappointed that a team that won 13 games over the previous 3 years didn't have a 3-score win in the 2nd game of a new regime seems a bit much.

Don't know what was expected. This team isn't good enough right now to expect blowout wins, even against a decimated team. But they won a game they were supposed to win. They've only had like 4-5 games in the Fox era that they were supposed to win. Having "supposed to wins" in itself is a step in the right direction. Actually winning them is a good thing.
0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 16591
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: da Salish Sea
x 907
x 571

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:21 pm

rawaction wrote:Apparently there are people that aren't too happy about this win. I understand being concerned about Trubisky. But to be disappointed that a team that won 13 games over the previous 3 years didn't have a 3-score win in the 2nd game of a new regime seems a bit much.

Don't know what was expected. This team isn't good enough right now to expect blowout wins, even against a decimated team. But they won a game they were supposed to win. They've only had like 4-5 games in the Fox era that they were supposed to win. Having "supposed to wins" in itself is a step in the right direction. Actually winning them is a good thing.



I think people are concerned they have the makings of a top tier defense who’s best days are going to be played holding up a sputtering offense. Deja vu of the Grossman/Cutler eras
0 x
Image

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 16591
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: da Salish Sea
x 907
x 571

Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:23 pm

We had 5 sacks first half? What did we end up with?

Eta: 6 total
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58862
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2385
x 8059

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:37 pm

rawaction wrote:Apparently there are people that aren't too happy about this win. I understand being concerned about Trubisky. But to be disappointed that a team that won 13 games over the previous 3 years didn't have a 3-score win in the 2nd game of a new regime seems a bit much.

Don't know what was expected. This team isn't good enough right now to expect blowout wins, even against a decimated team. But they won a game they were supposed to win. They've only had like 4-5 games in the Fox era that they were supposed to win. Having "supposed to wins" in itself is a step in the right direction. Actually winning them is a good thing.


Just imagine how bad this team would be without Mack.

The issue is this isn't a "they'll grow into it" situation. They don't have any future first round picks. They have to win with what they have. That was a good show by the defense, although they still get gashed a bit too much for an elite defense, and the weapons are obviously all there on offense. Taylor Gabriel would have been the #1 receiver on past Bears teams. It was all set up on a platter for Mitch to shine, and he didn't. I'm not upset with the 24-17 win. They covered. But I'm disappointed in Mitch's misses.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 3708
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 1
x 13

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby gflore34 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:45 pm

Caught the later half of the third quarter and all of the fourth quarter on the drive home from my Monday night lax game, heard Roquan Smith' name quite a few times on defense. I knew he was the correct pick for the Bears, he's going to be a monster, him Mack, Hicks, Floyd, the Bears defense is going to be scary. Offense? Bueller? Bueller?
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33847
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1711
x 1660

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:16 pm

rawaction wrote:Apparently there are people that aren't too happy about this win. I understand being concerned about Trubisky. But to be disappointed that a team that won 13 games over the previous 3 years didn't have a 3-score win in the 2nd game of a new regime seems a bit much.

Don't know what was expected. This team isn't good enough right now to expect blowout wins, even against a decimated team. But they won a game they were supposed to win. They've only had like 4-5 games in the Fox era that they were supposed to win. Having "supposed to wins" in itself is a step in the right direction. Actually winning them is a good thing.


If this team isn't good enough to beat the second-best team in the division or to blow out a completely brutal team like the Raiders, then it isn't ready to compete for more than a thin shot at a wild-card and a one-and-out. And if it's not ready to do that now, then it probably won't ever be, because more first-round picks aren't walking through that door.

They are in win-now mode and need to show more, quickly.
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6430
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: At the Planetarium with Some Ladies
x 127
x 103

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:36 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:The underthrown INT bothered me, as it was first down and he, you know, underthrew an open receiver.

The part that annoyed me about this throw is that he saw it, then shuffled his feet, and then threw it with bad footwork. He didn't pull the trigger right away. He's too tentative.
0 x

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 3708
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 1
x 13

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby gflore34 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:38 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
rawaction wrote:Apparently there are people that aren't too happy about this win. I understand being concerned about Trubisky. But to be disappointed that a team that won 13 games over the previous 3 years didn't have a 3-score win in the 2nd game of a new regime seems a bit much.

Don't know what was expected. This team isn't good enough right now to expect blowout wins, even against a decimated team. But they won a game they were supposed to win. They've only had like 4-5 games in the Fox era that they were supposed to win. Having "supposed to wins" in itself is a step in the right direction. Actually winning them is a good thing.


If this team isn't good enough to beat the second-best team in the division or to blow out a completely brutal team like the Raiders, then it isn't ready to compete for more than a thin shot at a wild-card and a one-and-out. And if it's not ready to do that now, then it probably won't ever be, because more first-round picks aren't walking through that door.

They are in win-now mode and need to show more, quickly.


Adding to the frustration is we've seen noteworthy or big things from some of the QB's taken after Mitch namely, Mahomes and Watson, while seeing the continued poor play of Mitch. I remember writing about the Packers holding on all of their TD passes to which someone replied those types of excuses are made by fans of loser teams. Giving Mitch a pass because of a new HC, scheme, etc. is along the same lines, upon seeing some of the highlights, he missed plenty of easy throws - any QB should hit those regardless of scheme, etc.
0 x

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 3708
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 1
x 13

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby gflore34 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:47 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:The underthrown INT bothered me, as it was first down and he, you know, underthrew an open receiver.

The part that annoyed me about this throw is that he saw it, then shuffled his feet, and then threw it with bad footwork. He didn't pull the trigger right away. He's too tentative.



I'd rather he be aggressive, playing tentative almost always results in something bad. Errors will happen, if they do occur, a coach would ok with those of commission not omission.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 77003
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2734
x 4112
Contact:

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:22 pm

gflore34 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
rawaction wrote:Apparently there are people that aren't too happy about this win. I understand being concerned about Trubisky. But to be disappointed that a team that won 13 games over the previous 3 years didn't have a 3-score win in the 2nd game of a new regime seems a bit much.

Don't know what was expected. This team isn't good enough right now to expect blowout wins, even against a decimated team. But they won a game they were supposed to win. They've only had like 4-5 games in the Fox era that they were supposed to win. Having "supposed to wins" in itself is a step in the right direction. Actually winning them is a good thing.


If this team isn't good enough to beat the second-best team in the division or to blow out a completely brutal team like the Raiders, then it isn't ready to compete for more than a thin shot at a wild-card and a one-and-out. And if it's not ready to do that now, then it probably won't ever be, because more first-round picks aren't walking through that door.

They are in win-now mode and need to show more, quickly.


Adding to the frustration is we've seen noteworthy or big things from some of the QB's taken after Mitch namely, Mahomes and Watson, while seeing the continued poor play of Mitch. I remember writing about the Packers holding on all of their TD passes to which someone replied those types of excuses are made by fans of loser teams. Giving Mitch a pass because of a new HC, scheme, etc. is along the same lines, upon seeing some of the highlights, he missed plenty of easy throws - any QB should hit those regardless of scheme, etc.


Yeah this is what bothered me. OK he's learning a scheme, he's not making all the right reads, maybe he's trying to force some throws into coverage because of that. I guess that is ok (for now), but when he's underthrowing WRs on deep balls, throwing a dump off pass to his RB that sails 3 feet over his head, underthrowing the ball into double coverage, etc its concerning.

By complete chance I happened to end up watching this game sitting next to a former Bear from the early 2000's, would rather not mention who, but he was picking apart Trubisky pretty harshly, even on throws he made. Not saying he's the definitive expert on QB play watching a TV broadcast, but he certainly knows more than I do about this stuff and he confirmed a lot of the things I thought I was seeing.

I'm not "giving up" on Trubisky at all and the inexperience excuse still holds a little bit but we need to see improvements pretty quickly.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 3708
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 1
x 13

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby gflore34 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:54 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
gflore34 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
If this team isn't good enough to beat the second-best team in the division or to blow out a completely brutal team like the Raiders, then it isn't ready to compete for more than a thin shot at a wild-card and a one-and-out. And if it's not ready to do that now, then it probably won't ever be, because more first-round picks aren't walking through that door.

They are in win-now mode and need to show more, quickly.


Adding to the frustration is we've seen noteworthy or big things from some of the QB's taken after Mitch namely, Mahomes and Watson, while seeing the continued poor play of Mitch. I remember writing about the Packers holding on all of their TD passes to which someone replied those types of excuses are made by fans of loser teams. Giving Mitch a pass because of a new HC, scheme, etc. is along the same lines, upon seeing some of the highlights, he missed plenty of easy throws - any QB should hit those regardless of scheme, etc.


Yeah this is what bothered me. OK he's learning a scheme, he's not making all the right reads, maybe he's trying to force some throws into coverage because of that. I guess that is ok (for now), but when he's underthrowing WRs on deep balls, throwing a dump off pass to his RB that sails 3 feet over his head, underthrowing the ball into double coverage, etc its concerning.

By complete chance I happened to end up watching this game sitting next to a former Bear from the early 2000's, would rather not mention who, but he was picking apart Trubisky pretty harshly, even on throws he made. Not saying he's the definitive expert on QB play watching a TV broadcast, but he certainly knows more than I do about this stuff and he confirmed a lot of the things I thought I was seeing.

I'm not "giving up" on Trubisky at all and the inexperience excuse still holds a little bit but we need to see improvements pretty quickly.


Kreutz didn't pull any punches on the Score, saying he's seen some of the same troublesome things out of Trubisky that he saw of Cutler. Hanging his head after an incompletion, letting it effect his play. Sports is great in that one can atone for their errors almost immediately. I tell the kids I coach - flush it, there's next play to make good on.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58862
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2385
x 8059

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:03 pm

gflore34 wrote:Kreutz didn't pull any punches on the Score, saying he's seen some of the same troublesome things out of Trubisky that he saw of Cutler. Hanging his head after an incompletion, letting it effect his play. Sports is great in that one can atone for their errors almost immediately. I tell the kids I coach - flush it, there's next play to make good on.

Kreutz is a GD brain dead goon. Every QB "hangs their head" after an incompletion. It is the universal pose of a QB listening to the next play call on his headset.

Body language nonsense is not the issue here.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 44917
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 77
x 2241
Contact:

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby Tim » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:14 pm

Every quarterback under and overthrows some balls. Expecting Mitch to be accurate on every throw is not realistic. I only remember the one underthrow (the int) and two overthrows (in the flat and down the seam). Thats...pretty "normal" performance, especially from a QB who is still pretty inexperienced as a starter.

What bothers me most is that stupid throw that should have been a 100 yd pick six. But even that is something that may get fixed with experience.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33847
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1711
x 1660

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:17 pm

Tim wrote:Every quarterback under and overthrows some balls. Expecting Mitch to be accurate on every throw is not realistic. I only remember the one underthrow (the int) and two overthrows (in the flat and down the seam). Thats...pretty "normal" performance, especially from a QB who is still pretty inexperienced as a starter.

What bothers me most is that stupid throw that should have been a 100 yd pick six. But even that is something that may get fixed with experience.


Counterpoint: Stipulating that 8 yards downfield between the hash marks doesn't count, how many *good* throws did you see him make last night? Three?

He only had so few because he was being babied by the playbook pretty heavily. He's got some serious training wheels on and still can't make all the throws.
1 x

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 3708
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 1
x 13

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby gflore34 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:00 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
gflore34 wrote:Kreutz didn't pull any punches on the Score, saying he's seen some of the same troublesome things out of Trubisky that he saw of Cutler. Hanging his head after an incompletion, letting it effect his play. Sports is great in that one can atone for their errors almost immediately. I tell the kids I coach - flush it, there's next play to make good on.

Kreutz is a GD brain dead goon. Every QB "hangs their head" after an incompletion. It is the universal pose of a QB listening to the next play call on his headset.

Body language nonsense is not the issue here.


I don't give a horsefeathers what it is, they had a chance to bury both these teams and it didn't happen because of Trubisky' ineptitude.
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60783
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 7889
x 4785

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby David » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:05 pm

gflore34 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
gflore34 wrote:Kreutz didn't pull any punches on the Score, saying he's seen some of the same troublesome things out of Trubisky that he saw of Cutler. Hanging his head after an incompletion, letting it effect his play. Sports is great in that one can atone for their errors almost immediately. I tell the kids I coach - flush it, there's next play to make good on.

Kreutz is a GD brain dead goon. Every QB "hangs their head" after an incompletion. It is the universal pose of a QB listening to the next play call on his headset.

Body language nonsense is not the issue here.


I don't give a horsefeathers what it is, they had a chance to bury both these teams and it didn't happen because of Trubisky' ineptitude.


Image
1 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 77003
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2734
x 4112
Contact:

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:31 pm

We can argue about the value of PFF grades all day but man did they not like Mitch last night

Image

The defense looked really good mostly. Roquan Smith graded fairly low though

Image
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 16591
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: da Salish Sea
x 907
x 571

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:38 pm

UMFan83 wrote:We can argue about the value of PFF grades all day but man did they not like Mitch last night

Image

The defense looked really good mostly. Roquan Smith graded fairly low though

Image



1. Mack opens up that entire D for the other players
2. Kevin White played last night?
0 x
Image

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 11946
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 1603
x 607

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:56 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:We can argue about the value of PFF grades all day but man did they not like Mitch last night

Image

The defense looked really good mostly. Roquan Smith graded fairly low though

Image



1. Mack opens up that entire D for the other players
2. Kevin White played last night?

I noticed him on the field on the pass that Bellamy caught. Apparently was out there one more time. Was he playing ST? Weird to have a WR active and play only 2 plays... who were inactives last night?
0 x
Image

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 11736
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: behind the boathouse
x 544
x 942

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby sneakypower » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:02 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Brian707 wrote:
mul21 wrote:Isn’t he still learning the offense? I would expect him to get more comfortable with reads and knowing exactly where guys are supposed to be as the season goes on. If we haven’t seen a difference by game 8, then yeah, I get the concerns.


This. A horsefeathers coaching staff last year plus people are drooling over Mahomes. Give it 8 games at least, especially with a new coaching staff. This team is a 10-6 team.

8 games at least? This isn't baseball. By week 8 your fate can be decided. This team can't afford a guy who can't make throws.

the Bears might have the 2nd? best defense in the league; they of anybody actually can basically afford it
2 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60783
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 7889
x 4785

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby David » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:41 pm

0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
BigbadB
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24471
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:38 am
Location: San Diego
x 19
x 119

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby BigbadB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Trubisky is going to be awesome. Just not sure when.........
3 x

User avatar
rawaction
Hall of Fame
Posts: 34158
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 11:04 pm
x 703
x 625

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby rawaction » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:55 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
rawaction wrote:Apparently there are people that aren't too happy about this win. I understand being concerned about Trubisky. But to be disappointed that a team that won 13 games over the previous 3 years didn't have a 3-score win in the 2nd game of a new regime seems a bit much.

Don't know what was expected. This team isn't good enough right now to expect blowout wins, even against a decimated team. But they won a game they were supposed to win. They've only had like 4-5 games in the Fox era that they were supposed to win. Having "supposed to wins" in itself is a step in the right direction. Actually winning them is a good thing.


Just imagine how bad this team would be without Mack.

The issue is this isn't a "they'll grow into it" situation. They don't have any future first round picks. They have to win with what they have. That was a good show by the defense, although they still get gashed a bit too much for an elite defense, and the weapons are obviously all there on offense. Taylor Gabriel would have been the #1 receiver on past Bears teams. It was all set up on a platter for Mitch to shine, and he didn't. I'm not upset with the 24-17 win. They covered. But I'm disappointed in Mitch's misses.


It is though. It's been 2 games. Granted, these are going to be the guys that are going to have to get it done in the next 3 years, but they don't have to get it done today. Even still, they have led all but 2 minutes of time so far this year.
1 x

User avatar
Brian707
All-Star
Posts: 2869
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Algonquin IL
x 657
x 1051

Re: Week 2: Seahawks @ Bears MNF on ESPN 7:15PM

Postby Brian707 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:53 pm

rawaction wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
rawaction wrote:
It is though. It's been 2 games. Granted, these are going to be the guys that are going to have to get it done in the next 3 years, but they don't have to get it done today. Even still, they have led all but 2 minutes of time so far this year.



Right, I get they lost draft picks, but people are acting like their window is shut after this year. Mitch will get better, and I think a lot better. A slightly above average QB can win the Super Bowl with this defense(assuming it stays at this level). Mitch probably won't get to that point this year yet and they still will finish with 10 wins.
0 x


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PackLandVA, Transmogrified Tiger and 5 guests