Week 3: Bears at Cardinals 3:25 Sunday, on Fox

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Re: Week 3: Bears at Cardinals 3:25 Sunday, on Fox

Postby BigbadB » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:14 pm

Happy for the win, but the offense did nothing to win that game. Nagy has been an absolute embarrassment on playcalling at this point. Trubisky has been horrible on throws and reads. Someone needs to point this out and fix the problem before next week.

Seemed like (at least in the first half), every incomplete throw to Allen Robinson was when Peterson was covering him. There was one play where Trubisky went deep to Gabriel when Peterson was covering him. Why pick on the best CB in the league when there is ANYONE else to pick on? Did Peterson even give up a single completion last night? I didn't see one.

The gadget plays need to stop. They aren't working. You wanna know when it's a good time to toss a gadget play in the playcalling scheme? When you are winning the game and the defense isn't able to handle the basic play calls. I get that Taylor Gabriel is fast and his talent is YAC, but the current behind the line of scrimmage screens to Gabriel take too long to develop and he isn't a power guy who can blast through defensive lines. You want Gabriel to have success at YAC, send him on a crossing route behind the front 7. Use him like the LIons use Golden Tate. If he's so fast, catch him in the flat where he's one on one with a LB or S rather than the remnants of the front 7.

This team is built for 10-15 yard pass plays with the occasional toss down the field to keep the safety's on their toes. Anytime Robinson wasn't lined up with Peterson was a mismatch and that matchup was under utilized.

The playcalling has been absolute horsefeathers. Maybe Nagy needs to give that gig up if this is the best he's got. The wasting of not one, but two timeouts to kick field goals was one of the biggest blunders of the day in a game you aren't winning. If you are going to waste a time out, get the offense to the line and try to draw the defense offsides before you call the damn thing. Do something other than stand there with your thumb up your butt.

With that said, I'm still pretty mad about this game and the Bears won. I'm mad because this team has a chance to be good and the offense looks like amateurs out there and there are too many playmakers on this offense to look like amateurs. Hopefully the Prince injury isn't bad. We are gonna need him against Fitzpatrick and those WR's.
2 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:21 pm

BigbadB wrote:Happy for the win, but the offense did nothing to win that game. Nagy has been an absolute embarrassment on playcalling at this point. Trubisky has been horrible on throws and reads. Someone needs to point this out and fix the problem before next week.

I just don't see how play calling is any any way the issue here. Trubisky cannot complete passes down the field, he wasn't just making it difficult for his receivers to catch, he was missing by wide margins. The play calling is letting him do the only things he can do, which is apparently shovel passes and WR screens.

Mitch is throwing a pick a game and seemingly 2 more should be picks per game, but apparently his balls are just that uncatchable. I don't know how play calling changes that.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:24 pm

BigbadB wrote: The wasting of not one, but two timeouts to kick field goals was one of the biggest blunders of the day in a game you aren't winning. If you are going to waste a time out, get the offense to the line and try to draw the defense offsides before you call the damn thing. Do something other than stand there with your thumb up your butt.

This has been a bigger problem than playcalling. They are not handling the clock management situation very well. They are a little light on NFL experience on the offensive side of the coaching staff. Maybe they can improve over time, but they've completely mismanaged timeouts.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

tfarks
All-Star

Postby tfarks » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:28 pm

He couldn't handle hitting his hot read when faced with pressure. So Nagy went into run the ball and throw screens mode. I'm still going to stay optimistic that some of these throws start getting there properly but the turnovers and almost-picks are piling up.
1 x
A student of philosophy, eager to display his powers of argument, approached Diogenes, introduced himself and said, "If it pleases you, sir, let me prove to you that there is no such thing as motion." Whereupon Diogenes immediately got up and left.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:31 pm

Mitch was supposedly praised for his accuracy coming out of college. His accuracy has been absolutely terrible so far this year. I wonder if there is a bit of a correction there as he gets more comfortable and stops playing scared. Of course this doesnt fix the terrible reads he's been making but would at least make him serviceable as a QB instead of bottom rung like he has played so far this year.
0 x
Win it for Fred

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Also this pass drives me irrationally nuts

1 x
Win it for Fred

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:46 pm

the mind, it was a boggled
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:39 pm

Yea, so little redeemable from yesterday from Mitch. At least in the first two games you could point to his positives on the scripted first drives, or a couple pretty throws. Yesterday was bad... basically two drives that had any rhythm, and even those took some bailing out by the Cards D.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:49 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Mitch was supposedly praised for his accuracy coming out of college. His accuracy has been absolutely terrible so far this year. I wonder if there is a bit of a correction there as he gets more comfortable and stops playing scared. Of course this doesnt fix the terrible reads he's been making but would at least make him serviceable as a QB instead of bottom rung like he has played so far this year.

Some might say he loves missing TD's.
7 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:50 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Mitch was supposedly praised for his accuracy coming out of college. His accuracy has been absolutely terrible so far this year. I wonder if there is a bit of a correction there as he gets more comfortable and stops playing scared. Of course this doesnt fix the terrible reads he's been making but would at least make him serviceable as a QB instead of bottom rung like he has played so far this year.

Lawl.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:57 pm

sometimes I feel like the Bears are destined to be a running back and defense only franchise.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

:flythew:
0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:04 pm

Fun Fact: Terribly inaccurate Trubisky is just a tick under 70% completion rate this season.

Somehow

Which I don't post to defend him (he sucks), but I found that number surprising
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:07 pm

Derwood wrote:Fun Fact: Terribly inaccurate Trubisky is just a tick under 70% completion rate this season.

Somehow

the somehow is by throwing 78 passes behind the line of scrimmage. He's 26th in YPA.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:10 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:Fun Fact: Terribly inaccurate Trubisky is just a tick under 70% completion rate this season.

Somehow

the somehow is by throwing 78 passes behind the line of scrimmage. He's 26th in YPA.

Right. A breakdown by yardage thrown would get ugly in a hurry
0 x

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:59 am

I am telling myself that once he gets comfortable and just plays he might be OK. There was a busted play in week two where he rolled right and dropped a pass over a linebacker to Cohen that looked like pure instinct on his part.

How much is Nagy pumping into him every week as far as telling him how to process reads, etc.? Is it confusing him or maybe making him try to be too mechanical abut his play? It's like he doesn't know the offense well enough (or Nagy's instructions or maybe just reading a defense, yet) but maybe once he gets it (if he gets it) he can play fast/loose and not overthink it.

I've always been an optimistic fan, so obviously I am trying to squint enough to see a positive future with him, because there is no backup plan for the organization over the next few years.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:09 am

It's definitely possible it all snaps together for him one of these weeks. Just because I think the downside is very real doesn't mean the upside isn't too.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:34 am

Somehow

Trubisky oddly enough has thrown the most deep passes (over 20 yards from LOS) in the league. I'm assuming he's pretty close to the top on throws within 5 yards of the LOS too, so grain of salt.

Read a couple things today though that were not completely doom and gloom today.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”