NFL Week 3

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Re: NFL Week 3

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:22 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote: The QB was looking the other way and he drove into him, lifted him off the ground, then lifted his own feet to drive him into the ground with his weight.

What direction the QB is looking DOES NOT MATTER. He didn't lift him off the ground. He ran into him and he tackled him. It was a sack. If this is no longer a sack, then you simply aren't allowed to tackle the QB anymore. If that is what we want the rules to be...ok, fine. Just actually make that the rules. Two-hand touch, whatever. Just make the rules clear.

The rule is simply "defenseless." Looking the other way is defenseless.

I specifically outlined a way to sack the quarterback that doesn't involve a violent hit when he's not looking.
0 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:31 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Derwood wrote:I know it's only week 3, but the NFL doesn't make a lick of sense so far

Nobody is good, everyone is just varying degrees of bad

I think the Rams are actually good, but yeah basically this.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:39 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote: The QB was looking the other way and he drove into him, lifted him off the ground, then lifted his own feet to drive him into the ground with his weight.

What direction the QB is looking DOES NOT MATTER. He didn't lift him off the ground. He ran into him and he tackled him. It was a sack. If this is no longer a sack, then you simply aren't allowed to tackle the QB anymore. If that is what we want the rules to be...ok, fine. Just actually make that the rules. Two-hand touch, whatever. Just make the rules clear.

The rule is simply "defenseless." Looking the other way is defenseless.

I specifically outlined a way to sack the quarterback that doesn't involve a violent hit when he's not looking.

You are seriously pretending it makes sense for him to come to nearly a full stop and ...I'm confused. You accused him of picking him up off his feet as if that was a thing you can't do, but you advocate gently picking up a 6'2 220 pound guy (while 320 pound guys are allowed to crush you on your path to said large guy) and gently placing him on the ground for a sack? The rule which was cited by the NFL has nothing to do with a defenseless player, btw.

You MIGHT even be right that this is indeed roughing the passer because Clay landed on Smith when he tackled him, but THAT IS WHAT A TACKLE IS!!! The percentage of tackles where you land on the guy you tackle has to be around 50% right? Clay didn't make an attempt to lift and drive him into the ground gratutously. He didn't arc higher into the air to droive his weight into him. He simply tackled him. He hit him hard, sure, but it was a pure tackle. The rules are horrifically dumb, and if they keep enforcing it in this way...well, I serious looked to see if there were any Austrailian Rules football teams that wear green and yellow so I could gently ween myself onto just watching the Cubs and speed chess matches, but there weren't any.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:47 am

I feel spoiled seeing the Chiefs finally having a guy who can throw the ball.

0 x

Wilson A2000
5-Time All-Star

Postby Wilson A2000 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:56 am

Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Derwood wrote:I know it's only week 3, but the NFL doesn't make a lick of sense so far

Nobody is good, everyone is just varying degrees of bad

Chiefs look good too. Man, so jealous I want that type of QB on the Bears. I’m terrified that the Bears totally missed on Trubisky.,
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Wilson A2000 wrote:
Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Nobody is good, everyone is just varying degrees of bad

Chiefs look good too. Man, so jealous I want that type of QB on the Bears. I’m terrified that the Bears totally missed on Trubisky.,

Chiefs defense is a dumpster fire. They are the complete opposite of the Bears. The Rams might be the only complete team
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:11 pm

Some people are putting waaayy too much stock into only three games. Heck, a bunch of these guys hardly played during preseason. The good teams will rise, and there will be plenty of good teams.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:41 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:
Bertz wrote:

Chiefs defense is a dumpster fire. They are the complete opposite of the Bears. The Rams might be the only complete team

Peters and Talib both left that game with injuries. Not sure what level of injury, but the Peters injury looked significant.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:07 pm

PackLandVA wrote:Some people are putting waaayy too much stock into only three games. Heck, a bunch of these guys hardly played during preseason. The good teams will rise, and there will be plenty of good teams.

Yes teams will rise from the pile of crap to be less piles of crap.

I will say the Rams are legit good, but that’s about it. Everyone else is pretty bad.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:08 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: NFL Week 3

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:53 pm

Bears have legally tackled the QB 14 times so far
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:55 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:

0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:57 pm

And you’ll be screaming when they’re flagged for a ridiculous RTP foul, especially it it may have influenced the outcome of the game.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:07 pm

PackLandVA wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:What direction the QB is looking DOES NOT MATTER. He didn't lift him off the ground. He ran into him and he tackled him. It was a sack. If this is no longer a sack, then you simply aren't allowed to tackle the QB anymore. If that is what we want the rules to be...ok, fine. Just actually make that the rules. Two-hand touch, whatever. Just make the rules clear.

And you’ll be screaming when they’re flagged for a ridiculous RTP foul, especially it it may have influenced the outcome of the game.

Bears have been getting flagged for that bs for years, it seems like Matthews has lived a very charmed life with regards to it.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:29 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
PackLandVA wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Bears have legally tackled the QB 14 times so far

Bears have been getting flagged for that bs for years, it seems like Matthews has lived a very charmed life with regards to it.

Without having witnessed every RTP call that the Bears have been called for over the past decade, I would be stunned if one of them was close to as bad as either of the two Matthews just got dinged for. It is true that Clay has had a lot of questionable hits over his career (the one that jumps to mind is the "block" he layed on Russell Wilson after an interception, which really tested Russell's magic concussion water) but that doesn't really explain the NFL immediately claiming the two RTP calls on him being correct. The refs might have it out for him, but this is going to screw stuff up across the league. I mean, if you think its reasonable for a DL to stop in his tracks to make a "tackle" and then somehow not land on the QB:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24782945/william-hayes-miami-dolphins-tears-acl-trying-avoid-sack-flag
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:33 pm

The Matthews RTP from yesterday was actually called correctly (per the current rule). The one last week was an awful call
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:39 pm

Derwood wrote:The Matthews RTP from yesterday was actually called correctly (per the current rule). The one last week was an awful call

Considering how much I LOATHE Matthews, I thought they were both excellent calls.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:41 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
PackLandVA wrote:

Without having witnessed every RTP call that the Bears have been called for over the past decade, I would be stunned if one of them was close to as bad as either of the two Matthews just got dinged for. It is true that Clay has had a lot of questionable hits over his career (the one that jumps to mind is the "block" he layed on Russell Wilson after an interception, which really tested Russell's magic concussion water) but that doesn't really explain the NFL immediately claiming the two RTP calls on him being correct. The refs might have it out for him, but this is going to screw stuff up across the league. I mean, if you think its reasonable for a DL to stop in his tracks to make a "tackle" and then somehow not land on the QB:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24782945/william-hayes-miami-dolphins-tears-acl-trying-avoid-sack-flag

oh I think the new rule blows. I just hate Matthews and I love that he of all people is getting rung up for it.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:13 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

oh I think the new rule blows. I just hate Matthews and I love that he of all people is getting rung up for it.

...but think of his FAMILY!!!
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:41 am

yeah chris conte ain't living that one down
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:50 am

SpongeWorthy wrote:yeah chris conte ain't living that one down

something i've always been too dumb to understand is why stiffarm like that is allowable when illegal hands to the face is a penalty
1 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:10 am

can't believe he's still in the league
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:18 am

SpongeWorthy wrote:yeah chris conte ain't living that one down

Not the only time that's happened to him.

0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:35 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
PackLandVA wrote:

Him acting like a bitch hasn't helped him.
0 x

1) Make election day a federal holiday.
2) Enact National Popular Vote.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:35 am

UK wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Him acting like a bitch hasn't helped him.

0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Return to “Other Sports”