2018/19 Blackhawks march to the lottery

biittner77
Superstar
Posts: 10556
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:10 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
x 14
x 219

Re: 2018/19 Blackhawks march to the lottery

Postby biittner77 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:55 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens with Crawford. Do the Hawks even want him back? Things have been going better without him. Should they allow him to decide when he's ready? The guy just spent basically a year recovering from one concussion and then got another. He knows what he's risking by coming back. That he still wants to come back speaks to his determination and courage but maybe isn't the smartest thing to do. What obligation, if any, do the Hawks (or any sports team for that matter) have to protect a player's long term health?
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 77266
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2771
x 4233
Contact:

Re: 2018/19 Blackhawks march to the lottery

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:00 pm

biittner77 wrote:It will be interesting to see what happens with Crawford. Do the Hawks even want him back? Things have been going better without him. Should they allow him to decide when he's ready? The guy just spent basically a year recovering from one concussion and then got another. He knows what he's risking by coming back. That he still wants to come back speaks to his determination and courage but maybe isn't the smartest thing to do. What obligation, if any, do the Hawks (or any sports team for that matter) have to protect a player's long term health?


I think no matter what the Crawford era is done. Either he doesn't come back from this latest concussion or the Hawks find a way to unload him and save some salary. More likely the former than the latter.
0 x
Win it for Fred

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 2969
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 859
x 841

Re: 2018/19 Blackhawks march to the lottery

Postby squally1313 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:47 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
biittner77 wrote:It will be interesting to see what happens with Crawford. Do the Hawks even want him back? Things have been going better without him. Should they allow him to decide when he's ready? The guy just spent basically a year recovering from one concussion and then got another. He knows what he's risking by coming back. That he still wants to come back speaks to his determination and courage but maybe isn't the smartest thing to do. What obligation, if any, do the Hawks (or any sports team for that matter) have to protect a player's long term health?


I think no matter what the Crawford era is done. Either he doesn't come back from this latest concussion or the Hawks find a way to unload him and save some salary. More likely the former than the latter.


If he's not healthy, or he's not comfortable coming back, or whatever else related to his head, then thank him for his service, and wish him well. If he comes back this season or next and wants to give it a go, why not. He's got one year left on his deal at a fairly reasonable price, and I don't think anyone is sold on Delia unless he drags this team to the playoffs (which is far from likely). As long as Toews/Kane/Keith are around, this team has to go into the season trying to win now, and a healthy Crawford gives you the best chance going into next year.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 77266
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2771
x 4233
Contact:

Re: 2018/19 Blackhawks march to the lottery

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:56 pm

squally1313 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
biittner77 wrote:It will be interesting to see what happens with Crawford. Do the Hawks even want him back? Things have been going better without him. Should they allow him to decide when he's ready? The guy just spent basically a year recovering from one concussion and then got another. He knows what he's risking by coming back. That he still wants to come back speaks to his determination and courage but maybe isn't the smartest thing to do. What obligation, if any, do the Hawks (or any sports team for that matter) have to protect a player's long term health?


I think no matter what the Crawford era is done. Either he doesn't come back from this latest concussion or the Hawks find a way to unload him and save some salary. More likely the former than the latter.


If he's not healthy, or he's not comfortable coming back, or whatever else related to his head, then thank him for his service, and wish him well. If he comes back this season or next and wants to give it a go, why not. He's got one year left on his deal at a fairly reasonable price, and I don't think anyone is sold on Delia unless he drags this team to the playoffs (which is far from likely). As long as Toews/Kane/Keith are around, this team has to go into the season trying to win now, and a healthy Crawford gives you the best chance going into next year.


i think it makes sense to start your transition to the next goalie now rather than later regardless of whether they are trying to win or not. If we can save $2-3m by trading Crawford for a smaller contract, that is pretty valuable for the Hawks in improving the team for next season. I guess my thoughts are based on an optimistic outlook for Delia. I guess he does need more time before we can anoint him as starting goalie of the future.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59327
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2544
x 8602

Re: 2018/19 Blackhawks march to the lottery

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:01 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
squally1313 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
I think no matter what the Crawford era is done. Either he doesn't come back from this latest concussion or the Hawks find a way to unload him and save some salary. More likely the former than the latter.


If he's not healthy, or he's not comfortable coming back, or whatever else related to his head, then thank him for his service, and wish him well. If he comes back this season or next and wants to give it a go, why not. He's got one year left on his deal at a fairly reasonable price, and I don't think anyone is sold on Delia unless he drags this team to the playoffs (which is far from likely). As long as Toews/Kane/Keith are around, this team has to go into the season trying to win now, and a healthy Crawford gives you the best chance going into next year.


i think it makes sense to start your transition to the next goalie now rather than later regardless of whether they are trying to win or not. If we can save $2-3m by trading Crawford for a smaller contract, that is pretty valuable for the Hawks in improving the team for next season. I guess my thoughts are based on an optimistic outlook for Delia. I guess he does need more time before we can anoint him as starting goalie of the future.


I can't imagine the situation where they can trade Crawford for a similar contract and save $2-3m at the same time.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 77266
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2771
x 4233
Contact:

Re: 2018/19 Blackhawks march to the lottery

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:32 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
squally1313 wrote:
If he's not healthy, or he's not comfortable coming back, or whatever else related to his head, then thank him for his service, and wish him well. If he comes back this season or next and wants to give it a go, why not. He's got one year left on his deal at a fairly reasonable price, and I don't think anyone is sold on Delia unless he drags this team to the playoffs (which is far from likely). As long as Toews/Kane/Keith are around, this team has to go into the season trying to win now, and a healthy Crawford gives you the best chance going into next year.


i think it makes sense to start your transition to the next goalie now rather than later regardless of whether they are trying to win or not. If we can save $2-3m by trading Crawford for a smaller contract, that is pretty valuable for the Hawks in improving the team for next season. I guess my thoughts are based on an optimistic outlook for Delia. I guess he does need more time before we can anoint him as starting goalie of the future.


I can't imagine the situation where they can trade Crawford for a similar contract and save $2-3m at the same time.


How about a $3m contract for 2 more years vs. Crawford's $5m for 1? I guess though in that case you can argue whether its worth it. I dunno, I'm just ready to start anew at goalie and I'm all about looking at ways the Hawks can clear cap space via trade.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59327
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2544
x 8602

Re: 2018/19 Blackhawks march to the lottery

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:35 pm

UMFan83 wrote:How about a $3m contract for 2 more years vs. Crawford's $5m for 1? I guess though in that case you can argue whether its worth it. I dunno, I'm just ready to start anew at goalie and I'm all about looking at ways the Hawks can clear cap space via trade.

I think it might be time to stop offering to pay for today's hamburger on Tuesday.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

biittner77
Superstar
Posts: 10556
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:10 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
x 14
x 219

Re: 2018/19 Blackhawks march to the lottery

Postby biittner77 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:55 pm

Crawford has a limited NTC where he has to submit a list of 10 teams that the Hawks can contact regarding a trade. That in addition to the question marks regarding his health make an actual hockey trade unlikely.

I think it might be time to stop offering to pay for today's hamburger on Tuesday.


I agree though hockey GMs do so really dumb things that make no sense so it would really depend on who they were getting back. Bowman got Caggiula for a POS defenseman who's only really known for his self proclaimed cheap shot on McDavid.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 2969
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 859
x 841

Re: 2018/19 Blackhawks march to the lottery

Postby squally1313 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:35 pm

If Crawford wants to come back next week and throw up three shutouts before March 1 while some top team's goalie blows an ACL, then sure, grab a first round pick for him and let him get back to the playoffs. Other than that, he's the best goalie we're going to have next year (and this year if we make the playoffs), and we're going to need a good goalie, not just a passable one, behind this defense.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar
Posts: 10556
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:10 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
x 14
x 219

Re: 2018/19 Blackhawks march to the lottery

Postby biittner77 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:31 pm

squally1313 wrote:If Crawford wants to come back next week and throw up three shutouts before March 1 while some top team's goalie blows an ACL, then sure, grab a first round pick for him and let him get back to the playoffs. Other than that, he's the best goalie we're going to have next year (and this year if we make the playoffs), and we're going to need a good goalie, not just a passable one, behind this defense.


This Hawks team gives up 45 shots a night. No goalie can stand up to that for very long. The playoffs, if they somehow got there, don't really matter.

Nobody is giving up a 1st for Crawford. With everything that he's gone through, I'm not sure he's still the same player he was and I'm not sure he's any better than what they have now. It's much more likely that a team may want Ward as insurance/ a better back up than what they have. As for next season, I'd be surprised if Crawford is the number 1 goalie for the Hawks. Either Delia will have laid claim to that job or played himself into a backup role, in which case they will sign someone else or make a trade for another goalie. I'm a big Crawford fan and I hope he either proves me wrong and is fine or that he retires and lives a happy life with better health.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 2969
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 859
x 841

Re: 2018/19 Blackhawks march to the lottery

Postby squally1313 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:27 pm

biittner77 wrote:
squally1313 wrote:If Crawford wants to come back next week and throw up three shutouts before March 1 while some top team's goalie blows an ACL, then sure, grab a first round pick for him and let him get back to the playoffs. Other than that, he's the best goalie we're going to have next year (and this year if we make the playoffs), and we're going to need a good goalie, not just a passable one, behind this defense.


This Hawks team gives up 45 shots a night. No goalie can stand up to that for very long. The playoffs, if they somehow got there, don't really matter.

Nobody is giving up a 1st for Crawford. With everything that he's gone through, I'm not sure he's still the same player he was and I'm not sure he's any better than what they have now. It's much more likely that a team may want Ward as insurance/ a better back up than what they have. As for next season, I'd be surprised if Crawford is the number 1 goalie for the Hawks. Either Delia will have laid claim to that job or played himself into a backup role, in which case they will sign someone else or make a trade for another goalie. I'm a big Crawford fan and I hope he either proves me wrong and is fine or that he retires and lives a happy life with better health.


To your last point, I want Crawford to live a long and healthy life and his struggles with head injuries are incredibly concerning. I'm not a doctor, and he said this week he's given no thoughts of retirement. So based on the assumption that he's healthy, and freely wants to play, we either hope some team gives us a dumb offer for a multiple Stanley Cup winning goalie, or he's our starter for next year. Delia isn't going to prove anything this year based on his skill set/track record and your first point...this defense is miserable, he's not going to be throwing shut outs regardless. You've got one more year of Crawford at $6m, which is 8th in the league for goalies this year. Delia has 70 games of professional experience, Crawford had 255 games in the AHL before he got the starting job. He's our starter next year assuming he's on the roster, and if he's not I'm hoping it's because someone gave up too much for him, because he's better than Delia and whoever else we would trade for given our cap situation and other needs.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59327
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2544
x 8602

Re: 2018/19 Blackhawks march to the lottery

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:17 am

Resume march
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 34072
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1818
x 1844

Re: 2018/19 Blackhawks march to the lottery

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:41 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:Resume march


Image
1 x


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], putty34 and 5 guests