Week 7: Patriots @ Bears noon on CBS

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Re: Week 7: Patriots @ Bears noon on CBS

Postby Old Style » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:27 pm

UMFan83 wrote:And the Bears are officially in last place in the NFC North

From first to last in one day. Impressive.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Brian707 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Trubisky has a 97.1 QB rating. Combined passing and rushing he produced 414 yards and 3 TDs yesterday.

Some of you don't deserve Mitch and should go back to the Moses Moreno days.

he had a 50% completion percentage, 2 picks and 2 more shoulda been picks.

Yes he had a sub par day. But he isn't the reason they lost.

The Bears will be 6-3 going into the Vikings game and this town will be creaming their pants again.

As for Mack they said its a high ankle sprain and is a 6 week injury but playing thru it won't make it worse. This D was above average without him last year, maybe its time they find a way to stop getting gashed. Or make a stop at some point with 4 minutes to go in a game trailing by one score.

Wont make it worse but will it delay his healing at all? Either way, the 2 games Mack has been hurt the pass rush has completely disappeared. Last week he had the worst PFF graded game of his career (yes PFF is questionable but they watched the entire game focused on grading him and came away thinking he had the worst game of his career), I'll be interested to see his grade this week. The Bears don't have a lot of depth behind him (I think?) but if he is playing below average while hurt it might make sense to sit him a week or two and give someone else a chance as its not like this defense was completely useless before he got here, it was good just not elite.

You could also see Mack's effect on the Patriots game plan. In the 1st quarter Brady was all short drops, quick throws, slants, screens etc designed to avoid a dangerous pass rush. By the 2nd quarter Brady was taking 7 step drops, taking his time to survey the field and pushing it downfield a lot more. He had no concern that the Bears were going to be a threat to pressure him and for the most part he was right.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:31 pm

these are fun

0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:41 pm

So, Khalil Mack played 84% of the snaps yesterday and rushed the passer 7 times in each half. 14 times total. Meaning he was in coverage most of the game. Floyd obviously was in coverage most of the game.

Roquan Smith, who is the fastest LB on the roster, and the best bet on the team to be able to cover James White.... played 55% of the snaps.

Fangio took Smith out in the nickel to play 3 DL and 2 OLBs who covered instead of rushing most times. And blitzed Trevathan, another coverage LB.
1 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:56 pm

rawaction wrote:So, Khalil Mack played 84% of the snaps yesterday and rushed the passer 7 times in each half. 14 times total. Meaning he was in coverage most of the game. Floyd obviously was in coverage most of the game.

Roquan Smith, who is the fastest LB on the roster, and the best bet on the team to be able to cover James White.... played 55% of the snaps.

Fangio took Smith out in the nickel to play 3 DL and 2 OLBs who covered instead of rushing most times. And blitzed Trevathan, another coverage LB.

I found the announcers prospective interesting basically saying Floyd trying to cover a RB was a recipe for disaster which, it was. However, I can remember Collinsworth going nuts, heaping praise on who ever that GB DL was covering Robinson (I believe) in the end zone. The difference? A horsefeathers pass from Mitch. Mitch throws a good pass and GB looks just as horsefeathering stupid.
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:22 pm

I'm baffled by the use of Mack in that game. I don't see how he would be likely to be more effective in coverage with a bum ankle than rushing the passer. This was a strange game.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:03 am

Chocolate Milk wrote:I'm baffled by the use of Mack in that game. I don't see how he would be likely to be more effective in coverage with a bum ankle than rushing the passer. This was a strange game.

Yeah. Really weird game.

64 defensive snaps.

Hicks- 59
Mack- 54 (14 rushing the passer, Pats had 38 drop backs)
Goldman- 47
Floyd- 45
Callahan 39 (so nickel 64% of the time)
Nichols 35
Smith 34

Roy Robertson-Harris, who has been pretty good played fewer snaps than Bullard (22 to 16) for some reason.

So, essentially.... most plays, Fangio had 3 DL, 1 ILB, 2 OLBs, and 5 DBs. He played Hicks way too much. Played Goldman, a non-pass rusher, in too many passing situations. He played Trevathan as a blitzer way too much. Didn't have Smith in coverage vs. a good receiving RB enough.

Also, the Kush/Daniels platoon needs to stop. The split was 54%/46% in favor of Daniels, but they need to just pick one (hint, it's Daniels) and leave that guy at LG the whole game.
1 x

Return to “Other Sports”