College Basketball 2018-2019

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 11816
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: behind the boathouse
x 613
x 1109

College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby sneakypower » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:33 am

still SMH we were just 19th in the preseason poll
1 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 78156
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2937
x 4531
Contact:

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:39 am

sneakypower wrote:still SMH we were just 19th in the preseason poll


This team is horsefeathering unreal. Sky’s the limit
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 3807
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 2
x 23

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby gflore34 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:13 pm

Watched some of Illinois and Nebraska yesterday, I know the Illini are raw and young but, I'm seeing the same script as other games. Foul, foul, foul, went not fouling, give up layup after layup, cannot consistently make a layup to save their lives, not much change from the script last year. Do not expect them to win much however, I do not believe it unreasonable to see some marked improvement. If this continues, followed again by a mass defection of players, is it time to think of replacing Underwood? Also appears their only Fall commit may not be eligible with this news and every other target committed where does that leave them in the Spring?
0 x

User avatar
illiniguy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25558
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:59 pm
Location: Kansas City
x 79
x 32

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby illiniguy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:36 am

gflore34 wrote:Watched some of Illinois and Nebraska yesterday, I know the Illini are raw and young but, I'm seeing the same script as other games. Foul, foul, foul, went not fouling, give up layup after layup, cannot consistently make a layup to save their lives, not much change from the script last year. Do not expect them to win much however, I do not believe it unreasonable to see some marked improvement. If this continues, followed again by a mass defection of players, is it time to think of replacing Underwood? Also appears their only Fall commit may not be eligible with this news and every other target committed where does that leave them in the Spring?

One of the boards was full of Trent and Ayo don't like each other and they were speculating that one would be leaving. Hopefully it was just nonsense. Although we are going to win under 10 games with these guys together, so what does it really matter?
0 x
Image

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 3807
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 2
x 23

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby gflore34 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:15 pm

illiniguy wrote:
gflore34 wrote:Watched some of Illinois and Nebraska yesterday, I know the Illini are raw and young but, I'm seeing the same script as other games. Foul, foul, foul, went not fouling, give up layup after layup, cannot consistently make a layup to save their lives, not much change from the script last year. Do not expect them to win much however, I do not believe it unreasonable to see some marked improvement. If this continues, followed again by a mass defection of players, is it time to think of replacing Underwood? Also appears their only Fall commit may not be eligible with this news and every other target committed where does that leave them in the Spring?

One of the boards was full of Trent and Ayo don't like each other and they were speculating that one would be leaving. Hopefully it was just nonsense. Although we are going to win under 10 games with these guys together, so what does it really matter?


I saw that as well, believe you're correct about it making no difference if one of them leaves.
0 x

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 3807
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 2
x 23

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby gflore34 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:12 am

Illini playing Missouri tonight, I'm certain the worst possible outcome will occur. Because that's the way it's been for the Illini - if something bad can happen it will. However, I really hope something bad happens to Cuonzo Martin, that nonsense he pulled to get Mark Smith (claiming abuse) immediately eligible along with Tilmon, I'm hoping karma' a bitch and more.
0 x

User avatar
illiniguy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25558
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:59 pm
Location: Kansas City
x 79
x 32

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby illiniguy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:05 am

gflore34 wrote:Illini playing Missouri tonight, I'm certain the worst possible outcome will occur. Because that's the way it's been for the Illini - if something bad can happen it will. However, I really hope something bad happens to Cuonzo Martin, that nonsense he pulled to get Mark Smith (claiming abuse) immediately eligible along with Tilmon, I'm hoping karma' a bitch and more.

I hung out with Roger Powell today. That was a win.
0 x
Image

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 3807
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 2
x 23

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby gflore34 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:24 am

illiniguy wrote:
gflore34 wrote:Illini playing Missouri tonight, I'm certain the worst possible outcome will occur. Because that's the way it's been for the Illini - if something bad can happen it will. However, I really hope something bad happens to Cuonzo Martin, that nonsense he pulled to get Mark Smith (claiming abuse) immediately eligible along with Tilmon, I'm hoping karma' a bitch and more.

I hung out with Roger Powell today. That was a win.


Sure was, good for you.
0 x

User avatar
illiniguy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25558
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:59 pm
Location: Kansas City
x 79
x 32

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby illiniguy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:51 pm

gflore34 wrote:
illiniguy wrote:
gflore34 wrote:Illini playing Missouri tonight, I'm certain the worst possible outcome will occur. Because that's the way it's been for the Illini - if something bad can happen it will. However, I really hope something bad happens to Cuonzo Martin, that nonsense he pulled to get Mark Smith (claiming abuse) immediately eligible along with Tilmon, I'm hoping karma' a bitch and more.

I hung out with Roger Powell today. That was a win.


Sure was, good for you.

He's an amazing guy. Had some interesting perspective on the program considering Bryce was somewhat interested in it. If he was told the truth by Bryce, I don't think this is ever going to get better.
0 x
Image

abmillis
All-Star
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Centralia, IL
x 463
x 100

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby abmillis » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm

illiniguy wrote:
gflore34 wrote:
illiniguy wrote:I hung out with Roger Powell today. That was a win.


Sure was, good for you.

He's an amazing guy. Had some interesting perspective on the program considering Bryce was somewhat interested in it. If he was told the truth by Bryce, I don't think this is ever going to get better.


I would believe anything said about any Illinois athletic program at this point. Do tell...
0 x

User avatar
illiniguy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25558
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:59 pm
Location: Kansas City
x 79
x 32

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby illiniguy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:29 pm

abmillis wrote:
illiniguy wrote:
gflore34 wrote:
Sure was, good for you.

He's an amazing guy. Had some interesting perspective on the program considering Bryce was somewhat interested in it. If he was told the truth by Bryce, I don't think this is ever going to get better.


I would believe anything said about any Illinois athletic program at this point. Do tell...

Drew was told that taking the job is suicide as the President and board think sports are a distraction and do not want to support them at all. Felt they were just an institution of higher learning and that's what all the focus should be on.
0 x
Image

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 3807
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 2
x 23

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby gflore34 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:17 pm

illiniguy wrote:
abmillis wrote:
illiniguy wrote:He's an amazing guy. Had some interesting perspective on the program considering Bryce was somewhat interested in it. If he was told the truth by Bryce, I don't think this is ever going to get better.


I would believe anything said about any Illinois athletic program at this point. Do tell...

Drew was told that taking the job is suicide as the President and board think sports are a distraction and do not want to support them at all. Felt they were just an institution of higher learning and that's what all the focus should be on.



If that's true they're completely dillusional, success in revenue sports means more funds to support higher learning and research. Not to mention studies have suggested activity increases concentration which, in turn, helps learning, intelligence,etc. Such a view is completely closed-minded by a supposed institute of higher learning.
0 x

User avatar
illiniguy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25558
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:59 pm
Location: Kansas City
x 79
x 32

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby illiniguy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:21 pm

gflore34 wrote:
illiniguy wrote:
abmillis wrote:
I would believe anything said about any Illinois athletic program at this point. Do tell...

Drew was told that taking the job is suicide as the President and board think sports are a distraction and do not want to support them at all. Felt they were just an institution of higher learning and that's what all the focus should be on.



If that's true they're completely dillusional, success in revenue sports means more funds to support higher learning and research. Not to mention studies have suggested activity increases concentration which, in turn, helps learning, intelligence,etc. Such a view is completely closed-minded by a supposed institute of higher learning.

Right, obviously its worth a grain of salt. But, when I asked about the bragging rights game that night, he was the one that came right out with that info. I don't think he would lie about it, but someone could have told him that without knowing the real truth.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 69354
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1156
x 2342

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby Derwood » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:22 pm

I’m sure he’s willing to give up all that Big Ten tv money then, right? All those millions are really distracting the research scientists
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49724
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 601
x 1634

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:25 pm

That explains why Underwood and Lovie have top 20 salaries.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45317
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 80
x 2527
Contact:

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby Tim » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:34 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:That explains why Underwood and Lovie have top 20 salaries.

That was my thought. Plus all the renovations.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
illiniguy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25558
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:59 pm
Location: Kansas City
x 79
x 32

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby illiniguy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:19 am

Tim wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:That explains why Underwood and Lovie have top 20 salaries.

That was my thought. Plus all the renovations.

My main thing was thinking how Kahn is a major donor and he seems to want to win, Blake Bortles aside. I don't know. Just what I was told.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 69354
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1156
x 2342

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby Derwood » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:53 am

Holy horsefeathers, how did I not know that Rick Pitino is coaching in the EuroLeague?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2563 ... euroleague
0 x

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 3807
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 2
x 23

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby gflore34 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:09 pm

Illini lost, at home, to a Florida Atlantic team missing two of its starters, in the process of losing they managed to miss 50 shots. 50 shots? That doesn't even seem possible, I'm hoping this is the low point for Underwood however, it may not be. Not being fatalistic but, given they've regressed as the season as gone on, there's a very realistic chance they'll go 0-20 in conference play. The kids, Underwood, appear beat, downtrodden, done, unfortunately, unless you're Duke or Kentucky there's no "draft" for the Illini. They've got to straight up recruit, something Underwood appears to be worse at than coaching.
0 x

User avatar
illiniguy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25558
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:59 pm
Location: Kansas City
x 79
x 32

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby illiniguy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:20 pm

gflore34 wrote:Illini lost, at home, to a Florida Atlantic team missing two of its starters, in the process of losing they managed to miss 50 shots. 50 shots? That doesn't even seem possible, I'm hoping this is the low point for Underwood however, it may not be. Not being fatalistic but, given they've regressed as the season as gone on, there's a very realistic chance they'll go 0-20 in conference play. The kids, Underwood, appear beat, downtrodden, done, unfortunately, unless you're Duke or Kentucky there's no "draft" for the Illini. They've got to straight up recruit, something Underwood appears to be worse at than coaching.

It sounds like they are going to get Cockburn. After flying in his handler to help with the visit. I have no problem with this. We've been getting probation results for the past decade anyways.

The bad news however is Frazier's family is trashing Underwood on twitter now after he supposedly told him to shoot less and allow Ayo to shoot more. One of them will be gone at least.
0 x
Image

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 3807
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 2
x 23

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby gflore34 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:24 pm

illiniguy wrote:
gflore34 wrote:Illini lost, at home, to a Florida Atlantic team missing two of its starters, in the process of losing they managed to miss 50 shots. 50 shots? That doesn't even seem possible, I'm hoping this is the low point for Underwood however, it may not be. Not being fatalistic but, given they've regressed as the season as gone on, there's a very realistic chance they'll go 0-20 in conference play. The kids, Underwood, appear beat, downtrodden, done, unfortunately, unless you're Duke or Kentucky there's no "draft" for the Illini. They've got to straight up recruit, something Underwood appears to be worse at than coaching.

It sounds like they are going to get Cockburn. After flying in his handler to help with the visit. I have no problem with this. We've been getting probation results for the past decade anyways.

The bad news however is Frazier's family is trashing Underwood on twitter now after he supposedly told him to shoot less and allow Ayo to shoot more. One of them will be gone at least.


Nor do I have a problem with the recruitment of Cockburn, its a dirty business, nobody plays by the rules, moreover, boards have mentioned him and Antigua to be really tight. It's about time Antigua paid off, remember his hiring, touted as one of the nation' top big man recruiters.

I just can't fathom a coach telling one player to shoot more and another to shoot less. As a coach myself (lacrosse) I've encouraged a struggling player to be more aggressive and not hesitate to take the open shot within the offense but, not to the detriment of another player.
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49724
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 601
x 1634

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:42 pm

gflore34 wrote:
illiniguy wrote:
gflore34 wrote:Illini lost, at home, to a Florida Atlantic team missing two of its starters, in the process of losing they managed to miss 50 shots. 50 shots? That doesn't even seem possible, I'm hoping this is the low point for Underwood however, it may not be. Not being fatalistic but, given they've regressed as the season as gone on, there's a very realistic chance they'll go 0-20 in conference play. The kids, Underwood, appear beat, downtrodden, done, unfortunately, unless you're Duke or Kentucky there's no "draft" for the Illini. They've got to straight up recruit, something Underwood appears to be worse at than coaching.

It sounds like they are going to get Cockburn. After flying in his handler to help with the visit. I have no problem with this. We've been getting probation results for the past decade anyways.

The bad news however is Frazier's family is trashing Underwood on twitter now after he supposedly told him to shoot less and allow Ayo to shoot more. One of them will be gone at least.


Nor do I have a problem with the recruitment of Cockburn, its a dirty business, nobody plays by the rules, moreover, boards have mentioned him and Antigua to be really tight. It's about time Antigua paid off, remember his hiring, touted as one of the nation' top big man recruiters.

I just can't fathom a coach telling one player to shoot more and another to shoot less. As a coach myself (lacrosse) I've encouraged a struggling player to be more aggressive and not hesitate to take the open shot within the offense but, not to the detriment of another player.


So logic would dictate that wasn't what Underwood said either.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
illiniguy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25558
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:59 pm
Location: Kansas City
x 79
x 32

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby illiniguy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:12 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
gflore34 wrote:
illiniguy wrote:It sounds like they are going to get Cockburn. After flying in his handler to help with the visit. I have no problem with this. We've been getting probation results for the past decade anyways.

The bad news however is Frazier's family is trashing Underwood on twitter now after he supposedly told him to shoot less and allow Ayo to shoot more. One of them will be gone at least.


Nor do I have a problem with the recruitment of Cockburn, its a dirty business, nobody plays by the rules, moreover, boards have mentioned him and Antigua to be really tight. It's about time Antigua paid off, remember his hiring, touted as one of the nation' top big man recruiters.

I just can't fathom a coach telling one player to shoot more and another to shoot less. As a coach myself (lacrosse) I've encouraged a struggling player to be more aggressive and not hesitate to take the open shot within the offense but, not to the detriment of another player.


So logic would dictate that wasn't what Underwood said either.
I'm sure he delivered the message that as the lead guard Trent needs to look to distribute the ball more, however from his mom's tweets it doesn't look like Trent took the feedback very well.
0 x
Image

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 3807
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 2
x 23

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby gflore34 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:42 am

Guess the Illini got a commitment from Cockburn, given their recent history, it might be a small miracle if actually signs in April.
0 x

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6742
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 2:19 am
x 3
x 59

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby NewUserName » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:34 pm

When was the last time a B1G team was ranked number 1 this late in the season?
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests