College Basketball 2018-2019

CP_414
All-Star

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Postby CP_414 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:46 pm

NewUserName wrote:When was the last time a B1G team was ranked number 1 this late in the season?

Oladipo/Zeller Hoosiers?
0 x

illiniguy
Hall of Fame

Postby illiniguy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:21 am

CP_414 wrote:
NewUserName wrote:When was the last time a B1G team was ranked number 1 this late in the season?

Oladipo/Zeller Hoosiers?
Years are running together on me, but I think this is it.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:25 am

illiniguy wrote:
CP_414 wrote:

Oladipo/Zeller Hoosiers?

I would’ve guess one of the Wisconsin Final 4 teams or a Michigan/MSU team did it after (this would’ve been 2011?) but maybe this is right.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:38 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
illiniguy wrote:
CP_414 wrote:
Oladipo/Zeller Hoosiers?

I would’ve guess one of the Wisconsin Final 4 teams or a Michigan/MSU team did it after (this would’ve been 2011?) but maybe this is right.

I am not saying I follow this religiously, but I think Michigan and Wisconsin tend to be stronger come tournament time and dont really have big mid season appeal. After I thought about it, it seems that MSU may have been ranked number 1 in 2018
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:04 pm

Here are the last few times a Big Ten team has been ranked #1 and the date of the last poll they were #1

Jan 1 2018 - Michigan State
Dec 28 2015 - Michigan State
Dec 2 2013 - Michigan State
Feb 25 2013 - Indiana
Jan 28 2013 - Michigan
0 x
Win it for Fred

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:32 pm

you forgot Iowa

1 x

illiniguy
Hall of Fame

Postby illiniguy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:37 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
illiniguy wrote:
CP_414 wrote:
Oladipo/Zeller Hoosiers?

The Wisky Final Four year was also the year that Kentucky started 38-0 or whatever it was. At least the one I remember.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:30 pm

Maybe seeing some improvement from the Illini? They destroyed Minnesota the other night, prior to that, hung around against Michigan and at Indiana, lost a heartbreaker at Northwestern. Think they'll compete at Iowa, read some postings about an NBA scout being at the Michigan game. Apparently he said give Underwood some time, mentioned they have 3 Big Ten players, two of which are freshmen. Guess Kendell Gill was the game as well, he to said things are going to turn around. Also said he couldn't believe this Michigan team is the number 2 team in the nation, thinks they would have pounded this team had they played.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:59 pm

gflore34 wrote:Maybe seeing some improvement from the Illini? They destroyed Minnesota the other night, prior to that, hung around against Michigan and at Indiana, lost a heartbreaker at Northwestern. Think they'll compete at Iowa, read some postings about an NBA scout being at the Michigan game. Apparently he said give Underwood some time, mentioned they have 3 Big Ten players, two of which are freshmen. Guess Kendell Gill was the game as well, he to said things are going to turn around. Also said he couldn't believe this Michigan team is the number 2 team in the nation, thinks they would have pounded this team had they played.

Ha. I mean Michigan has only trailed in the 2nd half of like 2 games but ok. They aren't a perfect team and will definitely lose some games in the Big Ten gauntlet but I believe they are right up there with Beilein's best Michigan teams. They have scoring depth, play team defense, have the perfect point guard who runs the offense so well. We will see, the schedule gets a lot tougher starting tomorrow.

With regards to Illinois, hasn't their thing this year been staying close in games and then faltering late? I think they are certainly better than their results so far but not sure to what degree
0 x
Win it for Fred

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 pm

Kendall Gill thinks the Flyin Illini would roll the ‘16 Warriors
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:31 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:Kendall Gill thinks the Flyin Illini would roll the ‘16 Warriors

Of course they would!
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:42 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
gflore34 wrote:Maybe seeing some improvement from the Illini? They destroyed Minnesota the other night, prior to that, hung around against Michigan and at Indiana, lost a heartbreaker at Northwestern. Think they'll compete at Iowa, read some postings about an NBA scout being at the Michigan game. Apparently he said give Underwood some time, mentioned they have 3 Big Ten players, two of which are freshmen. Guess Kendell Gill was the game as well, he to said things are going to turn around. Also said he couldn't believe this Michigan team is the number 2 team in the nation, thinks they would have pounded this team had they played.

Ha. I mean Michigan has only trailed in the 2nd half of like 2 games but ok. They aren't a perfect team and will definitely lose some games in the Big Ten gauntlet but I believe they are right up there with Beilein's best Michigan teams. They have scoring depth, play team defense, have the perfect point guard who runs the offense so well. We will see, the schedule gets a lot tougher starting tomorrow.

With regards to Illinois, hasn't their thing this year been staying close in games and then faltering late? I think they are certainly better than their results so far but not sure to what degree

There's no denying Gill' a homer, as mentioned above he probably thinks they'd beat the 2016 Warriors. Michigan is certainly very good, as for the Illini consistency has been a problem, I think we'll see better results for the remainder of the season. Besides Ayo, Giorgi has been pretty impressive, did not expect such mobility, I was thinking he might be more like Maverik Morgan as Freshman.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:38 pm

can Brad Davison even step outside on a windy day without falling over
0 x

illiniguy
Hall of Fame

Postby illiniguy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:56 pm

sneakypower wrote:can Brad Davison even step outside on a windy day without falling over

What an abortion of a game. What goes on in the Kohl center every year is a joke.
0 x

illiniguy
Hall of Fame

Postby illiniguy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:59 pm

gflore34 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

There's no denying Gill' a homer, as mentioned above he probably thinks they'd beat the 2016 Warriors. Michigan is certainly very good, as for the Illini consistency has been a problem, I think we'll see better results for the remainder of the season. Besides Ayo, Giorgi has been pretty impressive, did not expect such mobility, I was thinking he might be more like Maverik Morgan as Freshman.

They are looking better, but a lot of that is to be expected with Ayo playing himself, according to ESPN, into the top 20 of the draft. Not sure how great that is though if it just means he leaves and we are back to where we were next year.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:19 pm

illiniguy wrote:
gflore34 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

They are looking better, but a lot of that is to be expected with Ayo playing himself, according to ESPN, into the top 20 of the draft. Not sure how great that is though if it just means he leaves and we are back to where we were next year.

Sunday' game was proof Ayo shouldn't consider the draft perhaps, not even until he's finished his JR season. I thought they had turned a corner but, Sunday' game is not too surprising for a team this young, up and down.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:03 pm

The Illini have the Badgers tonight at home, think this'll be one of their "up" games. Probably will lose a close one late, Happ will do something, etc.

Watched the Illini a few times this season, cannot understand why Kipper Nichols remains useless. He's physically imposing, oftentimes, there's nobody on the opposing team who can physically match him. Yet, he makes no impact, could literally force his will on almost any player but, never does, why?
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:35 pm

gflore34 wrote:The Illini have the Badgers tonight at home, think this'll be one of their "up" games. Probably will lose a close one late, Happ will do something, etc.

Watched the Illini a few times this season, cannot understand why Kipper Nichols remains useless. He's physically imposing, oftentimes, there's nobody on the opposing team who can physically match him. Yet, he makes no impact, could literally force his will on almost any player but, never does, why?

His decision making is atrocious. Once he gets the ball, no matter where on the court, and who’s around him his mind is set.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:58 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
gflore34 wrote:The Illini have the Badgers tonight at home, think this'll be one of their "up" games. Probably will lose a close one late, Happ will do something, etc.

His decision making is atrocious. Once he gets the ball, no matter where on the court, and who’s around him his mind is set.

Read he's having troubles with his confidence, what you mentioned is certainly symptomatic of confidence lacking. He did not play much last night, Underwood has to be frustrasted, be surprised if he plays much more for the remainder of the season.

Bold prediction Wisconsin' winning streak vs. the Illini ends next season.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Mizzou lost to Arkansas the other night, 10-7 overall, 1-4 in conference play, Mark Smith appears to be improving, good for him, Tilmon and Pickett? Meh. Thinking there's a good chance Mizzou doesn't going dancing this year, perhaps, NIT, good. Nothing against Smith, Tilmon or Pickett hope they do well, Clownzo on the other hand? Love things do not look good, his Braggin' Rights post game interview melodrama [expletive], almost near tears, citing hardships, trying to show Illinois up. Think Underwood didn't notice? When time comes he's going to bury that fool.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:03 pm

I hate that the Big Ten added these Friday night games to the schedule. I'm used to 1 Michigan game between Tuesday and Thursday and then another on Saturday or Sunday. Friday just throws me off and I will probably forget the game is on until there are like 10 mins left in the game.
0 x
Win it for Fred

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:53 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I hate that the Big Ten added these Friday night games to the schedule. I'm used to 1 Michigan game between Tuesday and Thursday and then another on Saturday or Sunday. Friday just throws me off and I will probably forget the game is on until there are like 10 mins left in the game.

At one time I think it was mostly Thursday night followed by Saturday afternoon - night that was great.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:02 pm

Illini playing Maryland, down by 4 at the half however, for perhaps, the first time this season against a P5 team, they have a mismatch. Ayo vs. Cowan, he doesn't have a chance, they'll got to exploit in the second half, run Ayo off screens to get Cowan on him. Then clear out and let Ayo take him, they do that a few times and Maryland is going to start to collapse giving up open 3's. I'd like to see Frazier, Griffin and Jones taking those shots.
0 x

illiniguy
Hall of Fame

Postby illiniguy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:48 pm

Tevian Jones is having himself a nice little game.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:20 pm

illiniguy wrote:Tevian Jones is having himself a nice little game.

Sure did, him, Griffin, Ayo, Frazier there's something there when they play with confidence and aggression. While Maryland had the advantage in the front court, I'd say the Illini had the backcourt edge. Took Cowan out the game in the first half and late in the second half, so much better than watching eat up Tejon Lucas. Too bad this effort wasn't there when they lost to a mediocre Wisconsin team the other night.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”