Monday, bloody Monday

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Monday, bloody Monday

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:04 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: Monday, bloody Monday

Postby Derwood » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:13 pm

Watch the Bengals hire Hugh Jackson
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:19 pm

Raiders are hiring studio analyst Mike Mayock as their new GM.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:20 pm

Derwood wrote:Raiders are hiring studio analyst Mike Mayock as their new GM.

I saw this as a rumor last night. Is this for real though?
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:20 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

It's real and it's spectacular
2 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:20 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Don’t know if it’s official, but ESPN is reporting it as likely
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:21 pm

In typical half assed Jets fashion they fired Todd Bowles but kept the GM. The GM’s claim to fame is the scriptwriters gifting the franchise Sam Darnold. Otherwise he routinely botches simple calls like the really slow Lorenzo Mauldin or the really fast and agile Danielle Hunter.
0 x
Spoiler: show

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:36 pm

So just to track openings and confirmed interviews/requests or Rumored candidates

Code: Select all

Cleveland;
Interviews:
     Freddie Kitchens (current interim OC)
     Brian Flores (NE LB coach/ de facto DC)
Rumored:
     Josh McDaniels
     Mike McCarthy

Green Bay:
Interviews:
     Chuck Pagano
     Jim Caldwell
Rumored:
     Josh McDaniels
     Pat Fitzgerald

Arizona;
Interviews:
     Zac Taylor (Rams QB coach)
Rumored:

Cincinnati;
Interviews:
Rumored:
     Hue Jackson
     Vance Joseph

Denver;
Interviews:
     Vic Fangio
     Mike Mumchak
     Brian Flores
Rumored:
     Mike McCarthy
     Chuck Pagano

Miami;
Interviews:
     Eric Bieniemy (Kansas OC)
     Vic Fangio
     Mike Munchak
     Brian Flores
Rumored:
     Rex Ryan

New York Jets;
Interviews:
     Eric Bieniemy
     Kris Richard (DAL passing coordinator)
Rumored:
      Jim Harbaugh

Tampa;
Interviews:
     Eric Bieniemy
Rumored:

Last edited by WrigleyField 22 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:41 pm

Any concern about Gase to MN as OC and immediately making them a lot better?
0 x
I like beer.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:41 pm

How the horsefeathers does Josh Daniels continue to get interviews?
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:54 pm

mul21 wrote:Any concern about Gase to MN as OC and immediately making them a lot better?

With as many openings as their are, I think Gase has a decent shot of latching on somewhere as HC right away.
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:54 pm

mul21 wrote:Any concern about Gase to MN as OC and immediately making them a lot better?

Not really. I think we saw this year why Washington never wanted to go all-in on Cousins. He’s merely a pretty good quarterback. And Minnesota dumped a crap ton of money into him. No matter who’s the next OC, Minnesota is still going to have to try to succeed with an unremarkable quarterback.

The really interesting job opening to me is Cleveland. All that young talent, what looks like the next great quarterback, and all that cap room... they’re positioned for a four or five year run as a Super Bowl caliber team if they spend their money right and hire the right coach.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:56 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:How the horsefeathers does Josh Daniels continue to get interviews?

Well he doesn't yet. The GB and Cle rumors to this point could be lazy sportswriter speculation.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:13 pm

0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:27 pm

I think Gase can and should get another head coaching gig. He's still highly regarded for his work with QBs. Miami is a terribly run organization with absolutely zero talent on offense. One of these teams with young QBs should give him a shot (looking at you Browns or Jets
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:32 pm

Banedon wrote:

Just go ahead and hire Jerry Glanville and Rob Ryan and become a total clown show, please.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:35 pm

Butterscup wrote:I think Gase can and should get another head coaching gig. He's still highly regarded for his work with QBs. Miami is a terribly run organization with absolutely zero talent on offense. One of these teams with young QBs should give him a shot (looking at you Browns or Jets

Gase in Cleveland would be fun.

I'm sure he'd do well in Ari or NY with those young QBs though.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:46 pm

There are a small handful of loud idiots in Ohio who are convinced that Urban Meyer resigned from Ohio State in order to take the Browns job LOLOL
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:50 pm

Butterscup wrote:I think Gase can and should get another head coaching gig. He's still highly regarded for his work with QBs. Miami is a terribly run organization with absolutely zero talent on offense. One of these teams with young QBs should give him a shot (looking at you Browns or Jets

I actually reeeeeaaaally like him for the Jets’ job, maybe even my #1 choice
0 x
Spoiler: show

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:12 pm

champaignchris wrote:

Not really. I think we saw this year why Washington never wanted to go all-in on Cousins. He’s merely a pretty good quarterback. And Minnesota dumped a crap ton of money into him. No matter who’s the next OC, Minnesota is still going to have to try to succeed with an unremarkable quarterback.

The really interesting job opening to me is Cleveland. All that young talent, what looks like the next great quarterback, and all that cap room... they’re positioned for a four or five year run as a Super Bowl caliber team if they spend their money right and hire the right coach.

There's no way Cleveland can do anything to the point where Freddie Kitchens is NOT around. He led the team to a top 15 offense (13th overall, 14th rushing and passing offense), with a rookie QB, RB and #2 WR. Most impressively, he coached an offense that allowed their QB to be hit 9 times in the 2nd half of the season, the year after their HoF LT retired. I believe every other team allowed at least 20.

If they hire a HC that is NOT Kitchens, then every team that needs a coach will want to interview him as HC. If they hire an offensive coach, almost literally every team would want Kitchens as OC, and they'd likely have to let him go because an offensive coach is going to want to bring in his own guy at OC. They have to either hire interim Gregg Williams full-time, which would keep Kitchens until he does it again next year.....assuming he doesn't get a HC job right away. Or they straight up hire Kitchens as HC because they will otherwise lose him before next February.

With Williams' history, I don't see them wanting him as a long time face of the franchise. Hire Kitchens as HC. Williams is DC and assistant HC, with head experience. They also have some good offensive coaches around Kitchens. Every team is looking for the next McVay or Nagy, and they potentially have one under their noses.
0 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:31 pm

Obviously don't want him to go, but he would be great for Atlanta. I wouldn't want him if I were about to draft a QB though.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:45 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:

I actually reeeeeaaaally like him for the Jets’ job, maybe even my #1 choice

Yeah, honestly a great fit.

What I think would be the best hires:

NY Jets- Gase - still a QB whisperer. Never got the chance to pick his guy in Miami. Obviously Tannehill missed about 1/2 of Gase's 3 years there

Cleveland- Kitchens (see previous post)

Tampa- Fangio - now or never for Fangio. Tampa #1 passing offense w/ 2 QBs. Talent is there on that side of the ball. Defense is a disaster. Fangio can re-make into 3-4 D and just need a guy to maintain that talented offense, and maybe find a running game

Green Bay- Fitzgerald - I want someone to make this move or any college coach to NFL move......but yeah, please interview and hire McDaniels please!

Denver- I really don't know what they are going to do. They probably go offensive coach, but they have no QB and aren't getting one in this draft. I actually think i like the rumor i heard of them trading picks for John Harbaugh. But that seems unlikely. Dave Toub wouldn't be a terrible choice here.

Arizona- McCarthy (he supposedly turned them down even with given some personnel control). If McCarthy turns them down, I like them as another team to look to the college ranks. Iowa St's coach comes to mind. Also interesting is Rams QB coach, Zac Taylor.

Miami- similar to Denver, not really sure what they're going to do. Getting rid of Tannehill. No identity on either side of the ball. Coming off an offensive hire, could go defensive. Jim Schwartz or Gus Bradley could be fun here.

Cincinnati- no clue. If they hire Hue Jackson though, I will crap my pants. If they are going offensive head coach, Eric Bieniemy would be extremely interesting. Former Bengals RB. Now Chiefs OC, which has been a springboard for good coaches. Obviously OC for Mahomes' record breaking and likely MVP season.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:49 pm

Bertz wrote:

Obviously don't want him to go, but he would be great for Atlanta. I wouldn't want him if I were about to draft a QB though.

Atlanta doesn't need a HC though. And the Bears aren't letting him go be a DC somewhere else. But yeah, Atlanta is back to Superbowl contenders if they could get Fangio as DC and find a guy that can draw up some redzone plays on offense.
0 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:06 pm

rawaction wrote:
Bertz wrote:

Atlanta doesn't need a HC though. And the Bears aren't letting him go be a DC somewhere else. But yeah, Atlanta is back to Superbowl contenders if they could get Fangio as DC and find a guy that can draw up some redzone plays on offense.

Am I reading this wrong or did Quinn get demoted and the HC job is open?
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:17 pm

rawaction wrote:Atlanta doesn't need a HC though.

I disagree, but they won’t be hiring one.

Bertz wrote:Am I reading this wrong or did Quinn get demoted and the HC job is open?

Quinn will be HC and DC
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”