Chicago Bears offseason

gflore34
All-Star

Re: Chicago Bears offseason

Postby gflore34 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:24 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Here's the optimists view on the offseason.

All of Ryan Paces picks after 100:
Joel Iyiegbuniwe
Bilal Nichols
Kylie Fitts
Javon Wims
Eddie Jackson
Tarik Cohen
Jordan Morgan
Nick Kwiatkowski
Deon Bush
Deiondre' Hall
Jordan Howard
DeAndre Houston Carson
Daniel Braverman
Jeremy Langford
Adrian Amos
Tayo Fabuluje

Given this is why I wasn't too worried about the cost of Mack, Pace has done a really good job drafting in the later rounds. It's not unreasonable to expect he'll find a quality player or two in this year' draft.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:33 am

We may see the D take a slight step back next season, some roster attrition may occur and other factors, etc. however, I strongly believe it'll be more than compensated by the O. The O is going to take a big step forward, Mitch is going to bust out, perhaps, not at the level of Mahomes, but, he'll be greatly improved. It's also not unreasonable to expect one of Floyd, Goldman or Nichols to really blow up next season.
Last edited by gflore34 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:52 am

It’s so dumb this thread exists
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:02 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:It’s so dumb this thread exists

Sorry. I couldn't make it to draft night. I made like a dozen posts already instead.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:09 am

Also I have my homer pick for the Bears Rd 3 pick already. Kid is a graduate of my high school Alma mater-will be the first ever NFL draft pick from the school. Three year starter (true Jr) . All American. Jim Thorpe finalist. All around secondary weapon. He's a CB so his combine testing will determine alot, but he has looks to have a lot of Rd3 projections on him right now.

https://und.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1606

Pace hasn't drafted a CB (unless you count Deiondre Hall as a tweener). Would love to see him make him the first!
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:02 am

I'm still in complete denial that this season is over.

What a heartbreak.
4 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:51 pm

guys are staying active

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:26 am

On the surface, the Bears have 20 FAs with only 20 mil and essentially 2 draft picks (top 125) to add talent. But a closer look shows, there's not really a whole lot the Bears have to lose and most of the FAs are extremely replaceable.

I'd cut Sims today. I'd probably also cut Sowell. 1.5Mil is a lot for a backup OT/goalline TE. Acho is another possibility to cut at 2.2Mil savings. I would also expect Kyle Long to be restructured or take a pay cut.

Bray- wasn't on 53 over 1/2 the year. Doesn't need replaced
Cunningham- 4th RB isn't necessary, was essentially a special teamer only. Can fill his spot with any position and cheaper than 1.05Mil he got this year.
M. Burton- FB was inactive most of the time. Ryan Nall can take his or Cunningham's roster spot with no drop off at league minimum
Kush- didn't play the last 12-13 games. Could be replaced by a similar player for less than 1.35 he got paid
White- obviously gone. Was inactive most of the 2nd half. Wims is the 4th WR next year
Zach Miller- obviously never active, doesn't need replaced on 53
Nick Williams- anybody even know he was on the roster? 6th DL all year, not necessary. Can be replaced by player at any position.
Marcus Williams- Bears had him or Cooper on the roster all year. Neither played much. 6th CB, league minimum type

RRH, Scales, DHC, Braunecker, Coward, and Irving made a combined 3.2Mil last year, and I'm not even sure all of them counted toward the cap due to the top 51 rule. All are RFA or ERFAs. Should bring them all back for a similar cost, and the last 4 don't even have to be guaranteed a roster spot.

I'd probably bring back Witzmann and Bellamy for depth. Long will probably get hurt again. Witzmann was OK in his spot. Could probably be re-signed for 6 digits again (790K this year). Bellamy would probably take a deal similar to the 2 year/3.5Mil the Bears gave McManis last offseason.

That leaves Callahan, Massie, Amos, and Lynch.

I don't think there's any way you re-sign Lynch or Amos. Lynch got 6Mil this year, and i don't see him taking a paycut to come back, even with long-term security, unless he just really worships Fangio. Acho is still under contract so he could be the vet 3rd pass rusher (could also be cut to save 2.2Mil). But Lynch was signed before the Mack trade and I'd imagine he wouldn't have been if the Bears already had Mack. They do now, he's expendable.

Amos is probably going to get a big contract, he's the top FA safety other than Landon Collins, who is likely getting franchised. Amos is a really good player, but more power to the team that signs him to a big deal. Probably the least important position on the Bears D as constructed, and Bush is probably the most proven capable backup on the back 8 of the defensive side of the ball. No-brainer to let someone else give him a multi-year deal and reap the rewards of a potential comp pick in 2020.

Massie I'd look to bring back. If he'll take similar to the 6Mil he made this year on a 3-year deal (with a year or so guaranteed), he's worth the money as a potential upgrade would cost much more money. Anyone cheaper would be a downgrade in ability. Could gamble on a starting caliber OT being there at 87 or Coward taking a huge step forward, but those seem like really easy ways to get your QB messed up and ruin your season.

Callahan i'd probably bring back too, but Massie is more important IMO. Again, I think we're looking at about 6Mil/year. Be tough to offer him long-term with his injury history, but probably have to do it. IF not Callahan, there's some decent slot CB talent available. Darqueze Dennard, Kayvon Webster, Justin Coleman, Steve Nelson Jason Verrett are all guys who could be similar cost to Callahan and are of similar ability. But familiarity played a big part in bringing back Prince and Fuller, so I'd imagine the same would hold true for Callahan.

That would bring back all 11 starters, along with Cohen, the top 2 reserve WRs and the top reserve OL (Witzmann). On defense, you only replace Amos with Bush and bring back all other contributors save for Lynch.

As for the draft, with the first 2 picks....you don't need an immediate starter which is good because you aren't getting immediate starter talent. So, I'd look most closely at finding potential long-term solutions for players who are older and/or near the end of their contracts. So, looking at long-term replacements at RT, RG, CB (for 30-yo Amukamara), SS (Bush a FA after 2019), RB (Howard FA after 2019), OLB (need a rotational guy, plus Floyd's 5th year option is 14Mil+ in 2020).
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:07 pm

rawaction wrote:On the surface, the Bears have 20 FAs with only 20 mil and essentially 2 draft picks (top 125) to add talent. But a closer look shows, there's not really a whole lot the Bears have to lose and most of the FAs are extremely replaceable.

I'd cut Sims today. I'd probably also cut Sowell. 1.5Mil is a lot for a backup OT/goalline TE. Acho is another possibility to cut at 2.2Mil savings. I would also expect Kyle Long to be restructured or take a pay cut.

Bray- wasn't on 53 over 1/2 the year. Doesn't need replaced
Cunningham- 4th RB isn't necessary, was essentially a special teamer only. Can fill his spot with any position and cheaper than 1.05Mil he got this year.
M. Burton- FB was inactive most of the time. Ryan Nall can take his or Cunningham's roster spot with no drop off at league minimum
Kush- didn't play the last 12-13 games. Could be replaced by a similar player for less than 1.35 he got paid
White- obviously gone. Was inactive most of the 2nd half. Wims is the 4th WR next year
Zach Miller- obviously never active, doesn't need replaced on 53
Nick Williams- anybody even know he was on the roster? 6th DL all year, not necessary. Can be replaced by player at any position.
Marcus Williams- Bears had him or Cooper on the roster all year. Neither played much. 6th CB, league minimum type

RRH, Scales, DHC, Braunecker, Coward, and Irving made a combined 3.2Mil last year, and I'm not even sure all of them counted toward the cap due to the top 51 rule. All are RFA or ERFAs. Should bring them all back for a similar cost, and the last 4 don't even have to be guaranteed a roster spot.

I'd probably bring back Witzmann and Bellamy for depth. Long will probably get hurt again. Witzmann was OK in his spot. Could probably be re-signed for 6 digits again (790K this year). Bellamy would probably take a deal similar to the 2 year/3.5Mil the Bears gave McManis last offseason.

That leaves Callahan, Massie, Amos, and Lynch.

I don't think there's any way you re-sign Lynch or Amos. Lynch got 6Mil this year, and i don't see him taking a paycut to come back, even with long-term security, unless he just really worships Fangio. Acho is still under contract so he could be the vet 3rd pass rusher (could also be cut to save 2.2Mil). But Lynch was signed before the Mack trade and I'd imagine he wouldn't have been if the Bears already had Mack. They do now, he's expendable.

Amos is probably going to get a big contract, he's the top FA safety other than Landon Collins, who is likely getting franchised. Amos is a really good player, but more power to the team that signs him to a big deal. Probably the least important position on the Bears D as constructed, and Bush is probably the most proven capable backup on the back 8 of the defensive side of the ball. No-brainer to let someone else give him a multi-year deal and reap the rewards of a potential comp pick in 2020.

Massie I'd look to bring back. If he'll take similar to the 6Mil he made this year on a 3-year deal (with a year or so guaranteed), he's worth the money as a potential upgrade would cost much more money. Anyone cheaper would be a downgrade in ability. Could gamble on a starting caliber OT being there at 87 or Coward taking a huge step forward, but those seem like really easy ways to get your QB messed up and ruin your season.

Callahan i'd probably bring back too, but Massie is more important IMO. Again, I think we're looking at about 6Mil/year. Be tough to offer him long-term with his injury history, but probably have to do it. IF not Callahan, there's some decent slot CB talent available. Darqueze Dennard, Kayvon Webster, Justin Coleman, Steve Nelson Jason Verrett are all guys who could be similar cost to Callahan and are of similar ability. But familiarity played a big part in bringing back Prince and Fuller, so I'd imagine the same would hold true for Callahan.

That would bring back all 11 starters, along with Cohen, the top 2 reserve WRs and the top reserve OL (Witzmann). On defense, you only replace Amos with Bush and bring back all other contributors save for Lynch.

As for the draft, with the first 2 picks....you don't need an immediate starter which is good because you aren't getting immediate starter talent. So, I'd look most closely at finding potential long-term solutions for players who are older and/or near the end of their contracts. So, looking at long-term replacements at RT, RG, CB (for 30-yo Amukamara), SS (Bush a FA after 2019), RB (Howard FA after 2019), OLB (need a rotational guy, plus Floyd's 5th year option is 14Mil+ in 2020).

I’d look pretty hard at bringing ack Callahan or Amos. But it is nice not having any big holes
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:23 pm

So the Broncos job is down to Fangio and Munchak with Fangio appearing to be the leader. With that, we get this bit of news:

0 x
Win it for Fred

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:55 pm

Good
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:56 pm

I mean, would you rather be the DC of TB or this Bears defense?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:04 pm

Vic is gone

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

tfarks
All-Star

Postby tfarks » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:09 pm

Assumingly Donatell follows him right? Unless he gets the promotion here. Bowles sounds like a good choice.
0 x
A student of philosophy, eager to display his powers of argument, approached Diogenes, introduced himself and said, "If it pleases you, sir, let me prove to you that there is no such thing as motion." Whereupon Diogenes immediately got up and left.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:13 pm

I think one of the former head coaches that came up as a hot DC candidate would be real helpful here. The Bears coaching staff proved themselves well this year, but it's still light on NFL experience. You have to wonder if Fangio will steal Donatell or any other defensive assistants.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Really sucks to lose him, but at the same time I'm happy for the guy. Guys been in the coaching game for over 30 years and for at least the last ~10-15 years or so was known as one of the best defensive coaches out there. Did not get any head coaching consideration after leading those dominant 49ers defenses, still did not get any consideration after considerably improving a talentless Bears defense (not sure how much credit he should get for leading a bottom 15 defense but the talent was pretty barren). Now he finally gets his shot.
0 x
Win it for Fred

BigSlick
Superstar

Postby BigSlick » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Losing Fangio sucks, even if it was mostly expected

Thanks Denver Broncos. In the last 4 years you shipped us you're absolute trash head coach and we send you our sterling Defensive Coordinator.
0 x
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Re: RE: Re: Chicago Bears offseason

Postby rawaction » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:20 pm

tfarks wrote:Assumingly Donatell follows him right? Unless he gets the promotion here. Bowles sounds like a good choice.
Donatell doesn't have a contract. I assume he'll go with Fangio to be DC but that would likely mean still not calling plays.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:20 pm

BigSlick wrote:Thanks Denver Broncos. In the last 4 years you shipped us you're absolute trash head coach and we send you our sterling Defensive Coordinator.

You can say we got Trevathan in this made up trade as well, that helps a little.
0 x

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:28 pm

Brian wrote:
BigSlick wrote:Thanks Denver Broncos. In the last 4 years you shipped us you're absolute trash head coach and we send you our sterling Defensive Coordinator.

You can say we got Trevathan in this made up trade as well, that helps a little.

the trash head coach also brought us Fangio
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:28 pm

That's all I needed to whip up a good Bears doom boner. We're going 8-8 next year and then it all falls apart.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:29 pm

1 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:40 pm

If Parkey makes the kick, Denver probably hires the other guy. Fricken Parkey.
1 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:41 pm

I'm guessing Fangio takes most if not all of the defensive coaching staff with him. He'll probably be hard after guys like Amos and Callahan if the Bears blink. The good news is that the Bears defensive unit in general will be in tact and it makes for a potential lucrative landing spot for a successful veteran DC. Nagy also seems like a guy a DC can get along with, as he gave Fangio all the liberties he needed.

He certainly deserves a HC gig after everything he has accomplished so far. Denver media is about to get extremely frustrated with post game interviews, so there is that.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:If Parkey makes the kick, Denver probably hires the other guy. Fricken Parkey.

I wouldn't be so sure about that
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”