Chicago Bears offseason

Bertz
All-Star

Re: Chicago Bears offseason

Postby Bertz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:22 pm

Reasons for optimism regarding the Bears' schedule, as we face four of these five teams. At the end of the day it may end up being more tough than brutal.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:23 pm

Any way to watch tonight’s game outside the Chicago area? It’s not on NFL Network.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:58 am

backups yeah, but Montgomery is impressing
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:18 am

Brian wrote:Pineiro went 12 for 12 with the last being 60 yards tonight at Soldier Field, I'm declaring him the winner.

I rescind this
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:24 am

I'm mad at Nagy's gameplan because my dad has been angry texting way too much tonight
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:01 am

This Roquan highlight is so fun I want to take it back behind the middle school and get it pregnant
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:05 pm

Brian wrote:backups yeah, but Montgomery is impressing

He was really impressive to me because it's not like his plays were particularly well blocked, he just made the most of them. Also the little move he put on at the end of the screen pass allowed him to get the first down. Howard would have just plowed into the defender and got 18 out of the 20 yards.

His TD run looked a little like a LeVeon Bell run to me. Not to harp on Howard, but he just plows into the line there and losses a yard.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:16 pm

Here's all of Montgomery's touches from last night

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... son-Week-1
Last edited by Brian on Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:21 pm

Brian wrote:Here's all of Montgomery's touches from last night

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... son-Week-1

Fairly certain that's the wrong link.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:39 pm

Fixed it, I'm guessing after the video plays they auto-play the next video and the link changes, so I grabbed the link after it had switched.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Apparently he tweeted “I’m good” and then deleted it afterwards
0 x
Win it for Fred

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Elliott Fry looks like he's a Marvel movie de-aged version of Lindsey Graham.

0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:46 pm

So the Bears did a sim game last night and there was a fight where Kyle Long ripped off a defensive lineman's (Jalen Dalton) helmet, swung it in the melee and then threw it down the field.

for horsefeathers sake Kyle what is wrong with you??

The sim game sounds interesting, the next step in Nagy's war on the preseason. They did all the pre-game stuff (intro music etc.), did the air raid siren for defense. Scripted pretty much a whole game had defense do a 10 play series, go to the sidelines than have a simulated turnover and the defense had to come right back out and do another 8 plays.

(p.s. all my info came from The Athletic, sign up for The Athletic the Bears guys are great.)
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:31 pm

Long is a [expletive]. I'm hoping there's a solid post camp cap casualty that the Bears can bring in and just cut bait. Hes not worth his salary anymore. Dude has played 26 games over the last 3 years.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:42 pm

Long can play this year and be gone. No need to move on now.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:56 pm

Brian wrote:So the Bears did a sim game last night and there was a fight where Kyle Long ripped off a defensive lineman's (Jalen Dalton) helmet, swung it in the melee and then threw it down the field.

you're leaving out the only good part of the story, which is when after throwing the helmet down the field Long went to the sideline and vomitted multiple times.

Long is a douche and I agree with goony that cutting ties after this year makes way more sense, but the visual of that entire scene is very funny to me.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:31 pm

Butterscup wrote:
Brian wrote:So the Bears did a sim game last night and there was a fight where Kyle Long ripped off a defensive lineman's (Jalen Dalton) helmet, swung it in the melee and then threw it down the field.

you're leaving out the only good part of the story, which is when after throwing the helmet down the field Long went to the sideline and vomitted multiple times.

Long is a douche and I agree with goony that cutting ties after this year makes way more sense, but the visual of that entire scene is very funny to me.

Apparently the Bears kept him home from the Giants game.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:34 am

for horsefeathers sake Kyle what is wrong with you??

The sim game sounds interesting, the next step in Nagy's war on the preseason. They did all the pre-game stuff (intro music etc.), did the air raid siren for defense. Scripted pretty much a whole game had defense do a 10 play series, go to the sidelines than have a simulated turnover and the defense had to come right back out and do another 8 plays.

(p.s. all my info came from The Athletic, sign up for The Athletic the Bears guys are great.)

Long has been in fights before, but I thought I heard something that he was mad that someone blocked him and could have caused him an injury on a interception or a fumble. Wonder if Kyle was mad that a teammate could have injured him.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:17 pm

Sounds like Cedric Benson was killed in a motorcycle accident last night. Damn.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:29 pm

David wrote:Sounds like Cedric Benson was killed in a motorcycle accident last night. Damn.

Yup. Im not a motorcyclist, but it is such a hard reminder of how dangerous they can be.

Rip Benson
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:22 pm

He very quietly did great things with his charity after his playing days were over.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

MidoreX
All-Star

Postby MidoreX » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:16 pm

According to NBC Sports, the Bears have released Fry. I'm still guessing they sign a kicker from another team over Piniero before the season starts.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:48 pm

MidoreX wrote:According to NBC Sports, the Bears have released Fry. I'm still guessing they sign a kicker from another team over Piniero before the season starts.

Just sign Bryant and be done with it. However, I like that K from LSU.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:27 pm

UK wrote:
MidoreX wrote:According to NBC Sports, the Bears have released Fry. I'm still guessing they sign a kicker from another team over Piniero before the season starts.

Just sign Bryant and be done with it. However, I like that K from LSU.

I doubt it's gonna be Bryant. He would have been brought in at this point. Hell, he may even just be waiting for a domed team to call even if the Bears called.

It could be one of the various teams that still has a K competition ongoing though. At least if someone good doesn't get cut though they are getting Pineiro all the reps at this point though.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:55 pm

My guess at 53-man roster:

QB (2)- Trubisky, Daniel.

No-brainer. Bray had a shot, and granted it's been w/ guys that aren't making the team, but he's been trash in games. A lot of Bears fans hate Daniel, but he's exactly what a backup QB is. A dude that knows the offense and can help by communicating well w/ the starter. But also a dude that you never want to actually play. If he does have to play, see last year. Short passes, gimmick plays, letting Cohen throw the ball. No reason to care about the #2 QB.

RB (4)- Cohen, Montgomery, Davis, Whyte Jr.

Top 3 set in stone. The 4th comes down to draft pick, Whyte vs. a UDFA, Nall. Whyte has uncoachable speed, and Nall can likely be kept on the practice squad. Outside chance of all 5 kept. Bears kept Howard, Cohen, Cunningham, Mizzell (as a RB), and Mike Burton (as a FB) last year.

WR (6)- Robinson, Miller, Gabriel, Patterson, Wims, Ridley

Marvin Hall has a shot to make the team, but he's not much of a route runner and didn't look like a good option to return kicks as a backup either. I honestly would dangle Wims as a potential trade target. If the Bears can get a potential guy for the pass rush rotation for their 5th WR, I'd gladly make that trade.

TE (4)- Burton, Shaheen, Braunecker, Sowell

Bears have some potential sleepers here in Ian Bunting, Dax Raymond, and Jesper Horstead, but all project as better receivers than blockers now and in the future. Sowell makes the team as he's the only of the 4 that can block adequately. 2 of the 3 above probably go to the practice squad.

OL (9)- Leno, Whitehair, Daniels, Long, Massie, Larsen, Coward, Bars, Clemmings

Starting 5 pretty well set. Larsen has the ability to back up OG or C so he's the 6th. Bars has been strong thru 2 preseason games, and is too talented to try to pass thru waivers. Kept a 2nd backup tackle because IDK Coward's status w/ the elbow injury. But if he can go, the 9th lineman would be a prime cut candidate when you need someone at another position. Would also watch for a released player as a swing tackle. Coward didn't look great week 1 of preseason.

DL (5)- Hicks, Goldman, Robertson-Harris, Nichols, Bullard

Top 4 are a great group, set in stone. Bullard probably stays as he does provide a decent rep or two per game inside, though not the best fit. I know they like Nick Williams too, but I elected to keep an extra DB over him for special teams reasons. If they could find a taker for Bullard for a 7th or for another player at the end of their roster, I think they'd do it.

OLB (4)- Mack, Floyd, Lynch, Irving

Not a deep position. Don't like the 4th and the 3rd has had health issues in the past. Good thing the best edge in the league is here. James Vaughters has looked good in the preseason, but more of a practice squad to me at this point. Fitts looks mostly talentless and shouldn't make the team just because he was drafted late last year.

ILB (5)- Trevathan, Smith, Igeyibuniwe, Woods, Pierre-Louis

Kwiatkoski is a FA after this year, and got a raise to 2Mil this year due to arbitrator ruling. He's not worth the money, as he can't be put on the defense. Can't cover at all. Woods is a former safety w/ athletic upside. Pierre-Louis is a better special teamer who's cheaper than Nick Kwit.

CB (6)- Fuller, Amukamara, Skrine, Shelley, Toliver, Franklin III

The Bears actually have some interesting guys competing for that 6th CB spot. Franklin, Joseph and Duck. The competition's losers are both practice squad possibilities. Franklin gets the edge for me because of his speed and probably projects as the best special teamer of the 3. Not sure how much Denmark has practiced, but looks like potential IR stash. Definitely shouldn't make the roster just because he was drafted.

S (5)- Jackson, Clinton-Dix, Bush, McManis, Houston-Carson

McManis and DHC both make it here for special teams. McManis has the versatility to play nickel, so he stays. DHC could be the odd man out if they elect to go with an extra player at another position. 4 of 5 are FAs after this year, so no long-term help here and nothing really worthy of a practice squad spot.

ST- Pineiro, O'Donnell, Scales

Obviously just cut Fry yesterday. I liked Pineiro better anyway. Accuracy seems to be similar, go with the bigger leg. Maybe bring in another guy here, but I think they might as well develop what they already have instead of someone else's cast off.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”