Week 1/NFL Kickoff - Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears - Thursday 9/5 at 7:20 on NBC

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Re: Week 1/NFL Kickoff - Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears - Thursday 9/5 at 7:20 on NBC

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:23 pm

gflore34 wrote:If Trubisky continues to play poorly in Denver is it time to bench him?

I think you have to go down with the ship at this point. And he's still way better than Chase Daniel.
0 x

badger
5-Time All-Star

Re: Week 1/NFL Kickoff - Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears - Thursday 9/5 at 7:20 on NBC

Postby badger » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:52 pm

Maybe this was covered, but can someone tell me why we didn't have our 3rd year QB take ANY preseason snaps?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:54 pm

badger wrote:Maybe this was covered, but can someone tell me why we didn't have our 3rd year QB take ANY preseason snaps?

injury prevention
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Week 1/NFL Kickoff - Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears - Thursday 9/5 at 7:20 on NBC

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:06 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
badger wrote:Maybe this was covered, but can someone tell me why we didn't have our 3rd year QB take ANY preseason snaps?

injury prevention

I have hope that Trubisky not taking preseason reps will account for all of his inefficiencies last night and he drastically improves. In fact, I'm hanging my hat on it. But man he better start improving over the next 2 games.

It was stupid of Nagy
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:14 pm

We are trapped in a neverending cycle of anointing the Bears franchise QB. Defend his mistakes early on, keep defending them for way too long, make excuses for lack of improvement, latch on to flashes of good play to use as evidence that he's turning the corner, don't notice that said QB is slowly becoming a mockery to the rest of the football world, finally cave and admit they are not going to be a star QB (sometimes)

Rex, even Orton a little in 2005, and big time Jay. I mean I was still holding out hope that Jay was turning the corner during the Adam Gase year which was his 7th as a Bear at age 32. Truth is, none of us knows what its like to watch your favorite team draft a QB and develop them into a star. Hopefully one day we get that experience.

Also, as much as I'm down on Mitch, 10% of me still thinks he can turn the corner even though he has not really improved in 2 years and struggles in areas where you don't really see marked improvements over a career.
2 x
Win it for Fred

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:18 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

injury prevention

I have hope that Trubisky not taking preseason reps will account for all of his inefficiencies last night and he drastically improves. In fact, I'm hanging my hat on it. But man he better start improving over the next 2 games.

It was stupid of Nagy

That decision of not playing him in the preseason was the right move, I'm sure he had more than enough reps against the best defense in the league. However, his game plan last night restricted Trubisky and combined that with Trubisky's inconsistent play and you get that awful performance. Nagy put him in a position to fail and Trubisky followed-through. Trubisky needs to get better and Nagy didn't help.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:23 pm

UMFan83 wrote:We are trapped in a neverending cycle of anointing the Bears franchise QB. Defend his mistakes early on, keep defending them for way too long, make excuses for lack of improvement, latch on to flashes of good play to use as evidence that he's turning the corner, don't notice that said QB is slowly becoming a mockery to the rest of the football world, finally cave and admit they are not going to be a star QB (sometimes)

Rex, even Orton a little in 2005, and big time Jay. I mean I was still holding out hope that Jay was turning the corner during the Adam Gase year which was his 7th as a Bear at age 32. Truth is, none of us knows what its like to watch your favorite team draft a QB and develop them into a star. Hopefully one day we get that experience.

Also, as much as I'm down on Mitch, 10% of me still thinks he can turn the corner even though he has not really improved in 2 years and struggles in areas where you don't really see marked improvements over a career.

I believe you're correct, for me it's 0%, its never going to happen, we'll get flashes but, never consistency. And to think I had thoughts the offense was going to take off, GB for all the defensive improvement, still left receivers open all over the place. Mitch will not ever see them.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:24 pm

horsefeathers I'm not even hoping for pro-bowl level QB play from Mitch, I just want him competent enough for the Bears to be serious contenders on the back of an elite D. Its a lot harder to do that way than having a Tom Brady carry you there, but I'd rather look forward to something like the 2013 Ravens or even 2007 Bears than having to face tearing it all down and starting over. This franchise is doomed to never draft an elite QB.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm

UK wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:injury prevention

It was stupid of Nagy

That decision of not playing him in the preseason was the right move, I'm sure he had more than enough reps against the best defense in the league. However, his game plan last night restricted Trubisky and combined that with Trubisky's inconsistent play and you get that awful performance. Nagy put him in a position to fail and Trubisky followed-through. Trubisky needs to get better and Nagy didn't help.

Yeah I still see entire chunks of the game where its pretty clear that Nagy has taken away half the field for Mitch. That's like seriously alarming in year 2 of an offense and a 3rd year QB. And then you see moments where its like a light switch is turned on and all the sudden Mitch is gunning it all around the field. Saw it big time in the playoff game and again last night. What are we doing differently that causes the offense to dramatically improve and how can we get that offense all game?
0 x
Win it for Fred

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:27 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:horsefeathers I'm not even hoping for pro-bowl level QB play from Mitch, I just want him competent enough for the Bears to be serious contenders on the back of an elite D. Its a lot harder to do that way than having a Tom Brady carry you there, but I'd rather look forward to something like the 2013 Ravens or even 2007 Bears than having to face tearing it all down and starting over. This franchise is doomed to never draft an elite QB.

This defense will regress in some fashion whether it's injuries, lack of turnovers especially TDs following them, roster, etc. Trubisky has to make up for that.

Am I the only who's upset they want him to be more of a pure pocket passer?
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:29 pm

UK wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:injury prevention

It was stupid of Nagy

I don't buy into that. Trubisky was inexperienced when we drafted him. Last year, his first full season starting, he got better as the season moved along. To me, he's a player that needs A LOT of experience in live games. Going against your teammates in practice isn't the same. He should have played in at least 2 (and probably 3) preseason games. It's not to risk injury, its to get him making decisions real-time in real competition.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:31 pm

UK wrote:.....

Am I the only who's upset they want him to be more of a pure pocket passer?

no you're not-I'm not happy with that. its a stupid way to play him. Hell, the Packers said as much by saying something to the effect "we knew we could win if we made him play QB"

eta: In fact, when we let Fox go I was excited to think we could get a progressive offense-minded coach who liked things like rollouts and designed QB runs to utilize his athleticism. But every now and then, I have to squint to see if its truly Nagy behind the play-card, and not good 'ol Foxy himself.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:59 pm

UMFan83 wrote:We are trapped in a neverending cycle of anointing the Bears franchise QB. Defend his mistakes early on, keep defending them for way too long, make excuses for lack of improvement, latch on to flashes of good play to use as evidence that he's turning the corner, don't notice that said QB is slowly becoming a mockery to the rest of the football world, finally cave and admit they are not going to be a star QB (sometimes)

Depends on what turning the corner might mean. He's not gonna be a tier 1(Rodgers )or tier 2 (Rivers) or tier 3 (Ryan) . Can he be a Flacco/tier 4? Maybe, I'd say.
0 x

badger
5-Time All-Star

Postby badger » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:02 pm

Guys I spent 200$ on Bears/Broncos tickets on Wednesday. Maybe I should have waited til today.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:40 pm

Some of us realized 30 years ago that the Bears would never have a franchise QB, and so never expect any that they draft/sign to turn into one
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:42 pm

badger wrote:Guys I spent 200$ on Bears/Broncos tickets on Wednesday. Maybe I should have waited til today.

what a foolish purchase. send them to me, I'll take care of their disposal.
0 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:48 am

Teams that start 0-2 have a 5% chance of making the playoffs. Like last year, I feel that game 2 is a must win.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Wilson A2000 wrote:Teams that start 0-2 have a 5% chance of making the playoffs. Like last year, I feel that game 2 is a must win.

Think we'll see a bunch of running in an attempt to take the ball out of Mitch' hands?
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:12 pm

gflore34 wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:Teams that start 0-2 have a 5% chance of making the playoffs. Like last year, I feel that game 2 is a must win.

Think we'll see a bunch of running in an attempt to take the ball out of Mitch' hands?

I hope it would be to balance the offense and get more touches to Montgomery and especially Cohen. Either way you phrase it, the result should be the same.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:19 pm

UK wrote:
gflore34 wrote:

I hope it would be to balance the offense and get more touches to Montgomery and especially Cohen. Either way you phrase it, the result should be the same.

Worst possible outcome for week 1, Bears lose, offense is terrible, Mitch is worse and everyone else in the NFC North wins. Might be a bit melodramtic to say but, they must win in Denver.

On a side note - I've read quite a bit about Mitch only looking in the direction he's going to throw, wouldn't looking off your target be QB 101? Why is Mitch unable to do so?
0 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:24 pm

gflore34 wrote:

Nagy won’t do it. He’s stubborn. See Chiefs playoff game in 2018, 2018 with Bears, last week’s game down 4 with a struggling QB and an exciting young RB.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:39 pm

this is kinda funny
1 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:20 pm

I was done talking about this game, but damn was the OL bad last week.

Trubisky was hit 11 times on Thursday, more than any other QB in Week 1 (does not include times he ran). Trubisky had the 7th fastest time from snap to throw of 2.51 seconds. Granted he passed 53 times, but this is atrocious OL play. Maybe this is the group that needed preseason.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:34 pm

Hope the Raiders aren’t decent this year. Really need that 2nd rounder to be an almost 1st rounder
0 x
Win it for Fred

ConstableRabbit
5-Time All-Star

Postby ConstableRabbit » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:22 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Hope the Raiders aren’t decent this year. Really need that 2nd rounder to be an almost 1st rounder

What are the conditions of the 5th round pick?
0 x
During a "Not For Women Only" panel discussion, former Cubs pitcher Mike Bielecki asked several players to invent a baseball catch phrase for Viagra. Theriot's ad campaign: "Viagra -- I always play hard."

Return to “Other Sports”