NBA 2019-20 Season Thread

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Re: NBA 2019-20 Season Thread

Postby Splendid Splinter » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:44 am

David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Gonna be soooooo great when the Warriors rest up from March to October, get 100% healthy, get the #1 pick and resume their dynasty with only a short weird season with a tainted championship bridging the 2 eras

This is going to be arguably the worst draft of all time at least. There’s so little talent. Or at least star/impact talent.

I don't follow college, but can it really be worse than 2000?

I don't think it'll be worse.

From Wikipedia
Using the WARP (wins above replacement player) metric, the 2000 NBA draft class collectively produced at a rate of 17.3 wins worse than a group of "average replacement players", effectively making 2000 the only draft class in NBA history to leave the NBA talent pool worse off than it had been prior to the given year's rookie draft.

Going to be damn tough to beat that, but this year's group could actually come close IMO. This class is pretty damn bad.
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:51 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:
David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:This is going to be arguably the worst draft of all time at least. There’s so little talent. Or at least star/impact talent.

I don't think it'll be worse.

From Wikipedia
Using the WARP (wins above replacement player) metric, the 2000 NBA draft class collectively produced at a rate of 17.3 wins worse than a group of "average replacement players", effectively making 2000 the only draft class in NBA history to leave the NBA talent pool worse off than it had been prior to the given year's rookie draft.

Going to be damn tough to beat that, but this year's group could actually come close IMO. This class is pretty damn bad.

that was the year krause's rebuild had 2 top 10 picks (he didn't do too poorly picking jamal crawford given the rest of that draft).

i still get mad at the fact that after 4 years of being absolutely miserable, the damn 02-03 bulls managed to nudge their way to being just mediocre enough to not land a hall of famer or all star in that draft, and end up with horsefeathering captain kurt instead. damn you jalen rose...and jamal for having a spurt of great games at the end that won some games too.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:29 am

Miami taking Wade was the biggest kick in the nuts. All news stories pre-draft had the Bulls taking him.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:38 am

David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Gonna be soooooo great when the Warriors rest up from March to October, get 100% healthy, get the #1 pick and resume their dynasty with only a short weird season with a tainted championship bridging the 2 eras

This is going to be arguably the worst draft of all time at least. There’s so little talent. Or at least star/impact talent.

It has as good a chance as any recent draft class to challenge it for the worst of all time, IMO. It’s a really bad draft class/pool of talent. I wouldn’t be surprised if the “best” player ends up being taken outside the top 10.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:43 am

Derwood wrote:Miami taking Wade was the biggest kick in the nuts. All news stories pre-draft had the Bulls taking him.

yup

and i remember people bitching on the espn boards (umfan was probably there with me) about not wanting a tweener guard.

that was also like a week after jay williams crushed his pelvis.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:50 am

Cubswin11 wrote:The teams need to get to 70 regular season games played or else owe their RSN’s money back on the year, fwiw. I think they should just jump to the playoffs and it would be dumb to force the like Kings, Knicks, T’wolves, Bulls, warriors, etc to show up for 3-7 games and increase the odds someone brings or has the virus with all those added players.

Yeah, they’re definitely getting to 70 games. If they were at 55 games, they wouldn’t but being so close, they’ll make sure they do. I’m sure the players want a few games to get ready for the playoffs considering they’ll be going 3-4 months without games.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:58 am

17 Seconds wrote:
David wrote:https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/status/1255589609636937730?s=20

if fans aren't there at least in elimination games, i think it's a bad idea. and if you change the playoff format, will it ever really be as revered as a normal championship anyways?

Are you aware of what’s going on in the world?
5 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:59 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:
David wrote:https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/status/1255589609636937730?s=20

if fans aren't there at least in elimination games, i think it's a bad idea. and if you change the playoff format, will it ever really be as revered as a normal championship anyways?

? i didn't say these things were doable. i said i wouldn't bother finishing if you can't do them.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:02 am

17 Seconds wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

? i didn't say these things were doable. i said i wouldn't bother finishing if you can't do them.
but, like, why would fans be necessary in elimination games for some reason?
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:03 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Are you aware of what’s going on in the world?

because it would be lame as hell celebrating championships in empty arenas
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:40 am

17 Seconds wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

It would definitely be different but tons of people would still watch and get enjoyment out of it and a distraction from everything going on. Just seems like it’s impossible to do anything with fans and anything more than essential personnel in arenas/stadiums if we want sports back anytime soon. If they can do it safely I’m all for it, it being different and weird be damned.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:41 am

Guessing it ultimately comes down to if Disney or MGM/Caesar’s/Wynn/whoever in Vegas give them the best deal. Since they’re all hurting for business. Or if they have to get to that 70 game mark, maybe they send the non playoff teams to one city and the playoff teams to the other or something.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:47 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:but, like, why would fans be necessary in elimination games for some reason?

It would definitely be different but tons of people would still watch and get enjoyment out of it and a distraction from everything going on. Just seems like it’s impossible to do anything with fans and anything more than essential personnel in arenas/stadiums if we want sports back anytime soon. If they can do it safely I’m all for it, it being different and weird be damned.

i never said i didn't want to it to happen. i'll take whatever half assed sports leagues i can get right now. i'm saying it from the perspective of the players and the people running the league. i'd rather cancel the season than award some watered down championship that is always remembered as the corona cup or whatever.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:05 pm

17 Seconds wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

i never said i didn't want to it to happen. i'll take whatever half assed sports leagues i can get right now. i'm saying it from the perspective of the players and the people running the league. i'd rather cancel the season than award some watered down championship that is always remembered as the corona cup or whatever.

I think the people running the league care most about making as much money as possible.
1 x
In Theo we trust.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:35 pm

soccer10k wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:It would definitely be different but tons of people would still watch and get enjoyment out of it and a distraction from everything going on. Just seems like it’s impossible to do anything with fans and anything more than essential personnel in arenas/stadiums if we want sports back anytime soon. If they can do it safely I’m all for it, it being different and weird be damned.

I think the people running the league care most about making as much money as possible.

yeah i forgot about that
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:40 am

17 Seconds wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

That’s all fine. But there’s plenty (and I include myself in this) that would be fine with sports back in some capacity for entertainment and distraction if it can be pulled off safely and don’t really care what it means historically with championships or W/L records.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri May 01, 2020 1:44 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:It would definitely be different but tons of people would still watch and get enjoyment out of it and a distraction from everything going on. Just seems like it’s impossible to do anything with fans and anything more than essential personnel in arenas/stadiums if we want sports back anytime soon. If they can do it safely I’m all for it, it being different and weird be damned.

That’s all fine. But there’s plenty (and I include myself in this) that would be fine with sports back in some capacity for entertainment and distraction if it can be pulled off safely and don’t really care what it means historically with championships or W/L records.

i said that too
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 25, 2020 12:56 pm

https://spacecityscoop.com/2020/05/21/h ... -yao-ming/

Yao Ming’s career with the Houston Rockets was short-lived but memorable in so many ways. Not only was Yao a great player, but he was a global icon in his homeland of China, expanding the brand of not just the Rockets, but the entire NBA.

While the relationship between China, the Rockets, and the NBA has been put through the wringer over the last year or so, a decade-plus of strong revenue and interest from fans in China is in large part due to Yao’s presence on the Rockets.

Unfortunately, Yao’s most advantageous attribute — his massive 7-foot-6 frame — would also be his downfall. The big man faced foot injuries on the tail-end of his career that he was never able to quite come back from.

Tracy McGrady recently had some interesting comments on Yao, though, and brought up another factor that may have played into the decline of his physical abilities — an assistant head coach.

Speaking to Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson of the All The Smoke Podcast, Tracy McGrady reflected on his time in Houston. When asked about Yao Ming, McGrady had lots of praise for Yao and how skilled he was, but not before pointing out that he was worked extremely hard by the coaching staff, in particular Tom Thibodeau, who was an assistant coach in Houston.

“Bro, he was extremely skilled. Like I said, left hand, right hand. I felt sorry for him at times, because Thibodeau had Yao working so da– hard before every game man, I’m like, ‘bro, he gon’ wear down man,’ like he was killing Yao before the game. He was putting in that work!”
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu May 28, 2020 5:27 am

The complaint you hear in league circles about such concepts -- play-in tournaments, World Cup-style pool play -- is that they are gimmicky, and too far from what fans and the keepers of the game consider legitimate proceedings. This season's champion, should the season get that far, will already face the dreaded asterisk. As silly as that seems, the 1999 champion San Antonio Spurs still hear about it 21 years later because one highly decorated rival coach uttered the A-word. Introduce new structural contrivances, the thinking goes, and the asterisk brightens.

A brief aside: There are definitely unpleasant scenarios in which the asterisk is unavoidable. If one star among the consensus three best teams -- the Milwaukee Bucks, and both Los Angeles teams -- contracts the virus early, leading to the premature elimination of his team, the whole postseason might feel hollow. (Obviously, the NBA postseason feeling hollow is of zero importance in the grander scheme of life and the health of everyone involved.)

Good article.

Yeah, this is going to be difficult no matter what... I really hope no player contracts the virus during the NBA postseason.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:38 am

if this has been previously posted I apologize in advanced - RIP Wes Unseld - I remember him and the Washington Bullets beating the Seattle Supersonics in 77-78, lost to the Sonics the next year. Also, RIP - Jerry Sloan - do not remember much of Jerry Sloan, played on some pretty good Bulls teams in the early to mid seventies.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:41 am

So Grant Napear is a racist apparently. He’s also been fired by the Kings.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:59 am

soccer10k wrote:So Grant Napear is a racist apparently. He’s also been fired by the Kings.

Boogie has a terrible reputation, largely deserved, but he’s smarter than most of the people covering him and his interviews are great.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:55 am

NOLA wrote:
soccer10k wrote:So Grant Napear is a racist apparently. He’s also been fired by the Kings.

Boogie has a terrible reputation, largely deserved, but he’s smarter than most of the people covering him and his interviews are great.

Webber and Matt Barnes piled on after as well, I think before he was actually fired.

I also red a story saying that when the Sterling stuff happened, Napear defended him on the radio. He also brought it up a couple years later and said Sterling couldn’t be racist because he hired Elgin Baylor and Doc Rivers.

He also tried to defending himself with the good old “but I have black friends” line.

0 x
In Theo we trust.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:02 pm

Lol
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:46 pm

The Pels could be a very dangerous team when this gets restarted. They seriously could give the Lakers a series in the first round.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”