Bears at Rams SNF on NBC 7:20 PM

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Re: Bears at Rams SNF on NBC 7:20 PM

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:58 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Just for kicks, I did a VERY brief glance at the Bears history since the SB started being played. Am I right in seeing only 18 seasons with a record above .500? Out of, what, 55-ish seasons? And 15-ish playoff appearances? Those numbers are downright Browns/Jets-ian. That one SB win is doing a LOT of horsefeathering lifting. When they hell do these guys finally start getting things like the hilarious draft debacle montages they deserve?

You're pointing out the flaws of a fanchise that actually has more success then your favorite baseball team. Think about that.
Last edited by minnesotacubsfan on Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:01 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Treviathon

this spelling was so bad that it actually made me forget how to spell it.
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:03 pm

David wrote:

speaking of, what is the realistic drop off from Danny to White Nick? WN passes the eye test, he shows up when he plays and seems like he makes more plays then Danny. Is it WN's pass coverage thats so terrifying?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:05 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
David wrote:

speaking of, what is the realistic drop off from Danny to White Nick? WN passes the eye test, he shows up when he plays and seems like he makes more plays then Danny. Is it WN's pass coverage thats so terrifying?

trevathan is a very good inside linebacker and yes i think kwiatkowski will be abused badly in the coverage.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:05 pm

David wrote:

Yeah but I got white nick right, which I think balances it out.
2 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:46 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
David wrote:

Seems like when White Nick plays they do more situational substitutions in obvious passer downs with Pierre Louis coming in. Against MIN where Smith missed it was 34/23 with White Nick and Frenchy. And Frenchy got a few more plays last week, which is then the extent of his D snaps this year.

If Smith can be a consistently high level player, that combo is probably enough from your ILB unit. If he's not, Danny will be missed sorely.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:27 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Just for kicks, I did a VERY brief glance at the Bears history since the SB started being played. Am I right in seeing only 18 seasons with a record above .500? Out of, what, 55-ish seasons? And 15-ish playoff appearances? Those numbers are downright Browns/Jets-ian. That one SB win is doing a LOT of horsefeathering lifting. When they hell do these guys finally start getting things like the hilarious draft debacle montages they deserve?

You're pointing out the flaws of a fanchise that actually has more success then your favorite baseball team. Think about that.

So what? Cubs fans, and, really, the entire world, know what the Cubs were. The Bears, by contrast, have been ducking their rep as a Trash Team for far too long.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:So what? Cubs fans, and, really, the entire world, know what the Cubs were. The Bears, by contrast, have been ducking their rep as a Trash Team for far too long.

Are you for serious?

The Bears were awful in the 70s and everybody knew it. The Bears were awful again in the 90s and everybody knew it. The Bears moved back into respectability under Lovie Smith, enjoying some really quality seasons but always a step or more behind the best teams. Then they became a joke again after Lovie left, and everybody knew it.

Nobody is unaware of the Bears less than stellar history. Everybody knows the stupid 85 team being the pathetic go to of every sad Bears fan.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:35 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:So what? Cubs fans, and, really, the entire world, know what the Cubs were. The Bears, by contrast, have been ducking their rep as a Trash Team for far too long.

Are you for serious?

The Bears were awful in the 70s and everybody knew it. The Bears were awful again in the 90s and everybody knew it. The Bears moved back into respectability under Lovie Smith, enjoying some really quality seasons but always a step or more behind the best teams. Then they became a joke again after Lovie left, and everybody knew it.

Nobody is unaware of the Bears less than stellar history. Everybody knows the stupid 85 team being the pathetic go to of every sad Bears fan.

yeah, i mean, they're not quite viewed like the Jets and Browns but they're only, like, a half notch above that.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:38 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Are you for serious?

I want them to be shunned into the Browns/Jets strata where they belong.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Are you for serious?

I want them to be shunned into the Browns/Jets strata where they belong.

They might get there soon, but they aren't that disastrous yet. A decade of competence under Lovie stabilized what could have easily, and may yet still, turned into a disaster of a franchise.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:08 pm

At least our owner is like 100 years old and there's hope of no proper family succession planning (with a slight reliance on NFL rules about family ownership structures and having majority owners).
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:48 pm

I think it has something to do with the fact that the Bears teams that have achieved moderate success in the last 10-15 years have basically been modeled after the 85 Bears...top ranked defense, middling at best offense, and so the 85 team stays in the conversation. It's probably hurting the franchise more than it helps at this point, people continuing to believe that in modern football all you need is a good front 7.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:52 pm

squally1313 wrote:I think it has something to do with the fact that the Bears teams that have achieved moderate success in the last 10-15 years have basically been modeled after the 85 Bears...top ranked defense, middling at best offense, and so the 85 team stays in the conversation. It's probably hurting the franchise more than it helps at this point, people continuing to believe that in modern football all you need is a good front 7.

The 85 Bears had a top 5 offense
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

So what? Cubs fans, and, really, the entire world, know what the Cubs were. The Bears, by contrast, have been ducking their rep as a Trash Team for far too long.

Thats a hot take, but its dead wrong. They are an original franchise and therefor get coddled in conversations, but no one looks at them like the horsefeathering Cowboys: ie a team destined for the SB every year that somehow fails. Thats a team that ducks their deserved reputation
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Yes, you're right in that the Bears AREN'T compared to a much, much better team like the Cowboys.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Talking up the ‘Boys like they’re the horsefeathering Patriots

Whatever, I like watching that horsefeathers get bounced every damn year. Nothing goes better w/fine TexMex better.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:48 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:Talking up the ‘Boys like they’re the horsefeathering Patriots

No, that's not what happened.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:59 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:Talking up the ‘Boys like they’re the horsefeathering Patriots

Oh, ok. So they are marginally better the Chicago? Sounds like you are comparing a fresh chunky pike of horsefeathers to a slightly less fresh chunky pike of horsefeathers.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:12 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Oh, ok. So they are marginally better the Chicago? Sounds like you are comparing a fresh chunky pike of horsefeathers to a slightly less fresh chunky pike of horsefeathers.

Are we talking about a different cowboy-themed team or something?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:20 pm

the cowboys have not been that good. they've been better than the bears, but the 90s are a long time ago. they are grossly overrated almost every year.

They've also had the benefit of never playing in a division dominated by HOF QBs. They've played against two Detroit Lions caliber division opponents the past decade.

Switch the uniforms and you'd end up with fairly similar past two decades.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Man, I swear literally every team gets accused of having too easy a schedule and/or division. By almost any window you want to break it down by they've been better than the Bears, so I just find it funny when a Bears fans thinks the Bears are closer to a team like the Cowboys than, say, the horsefeathering Browns.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Man, I swear literally every team gets accused of having too easy a schedule and/or division. By almost any window you want to break it down by they've been better than the Bears, so I just find it funny when a Bears fans thinks the Bears are closer to a team like the Cowboys than, say, the horsefeathering Browns.

I think you don't know anything about football.

The Bears have not been good. They have not been anywhere near as bad as the Browns. Cleveland has been an utter disaster with no glimmers of hope. They've had one 10 win season since 1994. They've had double digit losses in 14 seasons in the 2000s.

The Bears and Cowboys each have 6 seasons with 10 or more wins in the 2000s.
The Bears have 7 double digit loss seasons to the Cowboys 6 during that time.

The Bears and Cowboys are much more similar than the Bears and Browns. The difference is everybody (including you) thinks the Cowboys have been and will be great while everybody knows the Bears are blah.
6 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Man, I swear literally every team gets accused of having too easy a schedule and/or division. By almost any window you want to break it down by they've been better than the Bears, so I just find it funny when a Bears fans thinks the Bears are closer to a team like the Cowboys than, say, the horsefeathering Browns.

No. Jersey has outlined well

The Browns are in a class by themselves, rivaled only by the Lions prior to their last 3-5 years.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:39 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

I think you don't know anything about football.

The Bears have not been good. They have not been anywhere near as bad as the Browns. Cleveland has been an utter disaster with no glimmers of hope. They've had one 10 win season since 1994. They've had double digit losses in 14 seasons in the 2000s.

The Bears and Cowboys each have 6 seasons with 10 or more wins in the 2000s.
The Bears have 7 double digit loss seasons to the Cowboys 6 during that time.

The Bears and Cowboys are much more similar than the Bears and Browns. The difference is everybody (including you) thinks the Cowboys have been and will be great while everybody knows the Bears are blah.

I don't think the Cowboys are great right now; this started because I was looking at the damn Bears over half a century. I was marveling at how they are, as you said, are really only known as a "blah" team at worst when the sum total of their efforts in the Modern Era or whatever the horsefeathers we want to call it is overwhelmingly garbage a la the Jets or the Browns.

The Cowboys, by contrast, understandably have a legacy based on actually being a good team for a ton of the same era we're looking at. Sure, if you want to argue they're overrated now because of their performance over the last 20 years, go nuts; I certainly won't disagree because the Cowboys are a bunch of obnoxious dildos run by creepy old folks home sex toy found under a hospital bed come to life. But they at least have a legacy somewhere that makes it clear why people would have the idea of, "hey, the Cowboys have been a pretty damn good team." The Bears, quite obviously, do not. They have been bad far, far, far more often than not for basically the entire time football has existed as the entity we know it as today, yet people wouldn't even blink if someone acted like there's this titanic gulf between the Bears and, say, another team right in their own division in the Lions. There, IMO, is not. The Bears should have more of legacy as a Very Bad Football Team because that is basically the only legacy they actually have.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”