Thanksgiving Bears at Lions 11:30AM on Fox

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Thanksgiving Bears at Lions 11:30AM on Fox

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:36 pm

The game opened as a pick-em but the Bears are now a 1 point favorite, presumably the last time this year the Bears will be the favorite. Thursday football sucks, and this is the first of back to back Thursday games. If they do manage to win, they will reach .500, but probably won't end the season there, as the rest of the schedule is tough.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Thanksgiving Bears at Lions 11:30AM on Fox

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:55 pm

So I know the Bears run blocking has been bad, but is David Montgomery a bust? I just don't see any elusiveness from him or any of that tackle breaking skill that we heard about when drafted.

3.3 YPC for the year, and in 6 of 11 games he's failed to break off a 10 yard run
0 x
Win it for Fred

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:58 pm

UMFan83 wrote:So I know the Bears run blocking has been bad, but is David Montgomery a bust? I just don't see any elusiveness from him or any of that tackle breaking skill that we heard about when drafted.

3.3 YPC for the year, and in 6 of 11 games he's failed to break off a 10 yard run

Third rounder, 74th overall, I think bust is a bit strong. He's serviceable. He's not a difference maker but nobody thought he would be. A better line probably changes things for him. Also would be helpful if the passing game was a threat to make it harder to stack against him.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:51 pm

horsefeathers it, i feel a 6 game winning streak coming on
0 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:57 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:So I know the Bears run blocking has been bad, but is David Montgomery a bust? I just don't see any elusiveness from him or any of that tackle breaking skill that we heard about when drafted.

Third rounder, 74th overall, I think bust is a bit strong. He's serviceable. He's not a difference maker but nobody thought he would be. A better line probably changes things for him. Also would be helpful if the passing game was a threat to make it harder to stack against him.

A couple times yesterday I felt like posting he's a bust. We'll see. I'm doubtful he'll be around for much longer.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:02 pm

I'm with jersey on Montgomery, he's a 3rd rd pick. Its hard for me to call him a bust if he 1)isn't a pro bowler his first year and 2)is recipient of blocks by the likes of Leno jr
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:03 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:horsefeathers it, i feel a 6 game winning streak coming on

Sadly even if they do that they have a pretty good shot at missing the playoffs.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:51 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:horsefeathers it, i feel a 6 game winning streak coming on

Sadly even if they do that they absolutely will be missing the playoffs.

I dont think there is any chance in hell of them making it this year barring a total collapse by both Minnesota and the Rams. Philly beat us but they are just as bad as us, Carolina = meh
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:06 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Sadly even if they do that they absolutely will be missing the playoffs.

I dont think there is any chance in hell of them making it this year barring a total collapse by both Minnesota and the Rams. Philly beat us but they are just as bad as us, Carolina = meh

Yea in a hypothetical 10-6 pile up, their only clear tie breaker win is Minn and Seattle (who's already at 9 wins). They lose to LA and PHI... Not sure about GB. CAR iffy.

Although I won't be surprised if no 10 teams make it from the NFC this year.
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:21 pm

stunningly, the Bears still have an elite defense, rated #4 in ypg and ptspg. I wouldn't have guessed that by just watching the games
2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:31 pm

0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:09 am

Montgomery lacks the breakaway speed to be an elite runner, but I'm pretty happy with him as part of a rotation for the next few years. He's shifty, he hits holes decisively and he powers through for extra yards. His blitz pickup has improved as the season has gone on, too.

This is just a really bad situation for a running back. The offensive line is really bad at run-blocking (contrasting with their pass blocking, which is just pretty bad). The run play design is aggressively bad and refuses to work with the personnel at all. I can't get over how they can run out of the I formation once or twice, look really decent at it, then laugh and say "Whelp, never doing that again this game, the next 10 run plays will either be gimmicks or ask the guards to make pulling blocks they are physically incapable of."

Weird thought from Sunday's game: I thought that was the best Trubisky has ever looked in the pocket. He was actually sliding subtly away from pressure instead of either ignoring it or sprinting away from it, and he was reacting quickly but without taking his eyes off downfield. I think his hip hurt too much to do his stupid bunny hop or drift backwards.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:15 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Montgomery lacks the breakaway speed to be an elite runner, but I'm pretty happy with him as part of a rotation for the next few years. He's shifty, he hits holes decisively and he powers through for extra yards. His blitz pickup has improved as the season has gone on, too.

This is just a really bad situation for a running back. The offensive line is really bad at run-blocking (contrasting with their pass blocking, which is just pretty bad). The run play design is aggressively bad and refuses to work with the personnel at all. I can't get over how they can run out of the I formation once or twice, look really decent at it, then laugh and say "Whelp, never doing that again this game, the next 10 run plays will either be gimmicks or ask the guards to make pulling blocks they are physically incapable of."

Weird thought from Sunday's game: I thought that was the best Trubisky has ever looked in the pocket. He was actually sliding subtly away from pressure instead of either ignoring it or sprinting away from it, and he was reacting quickly but without taking his eyes off downfield. I think his hip hurt too much to do his stupid bunny hop or drift backwards.

Yeah, even though he had a rating in the 60's. I thought he looked as good as good as he has at any point in his career on Sunday. The INTs were whatever. Redzone INT can't happen, but it took a great play by the LB. The deep ball INTs never bother me. Sucked that there was a 50-yard return of it, but if you're going to throw picks, best time to do it is on a deep shot. I've seen criticism of the TD pass to Robinson for being short, but that was a layup pass (that he has missed before) and who cares that it was ugly, he scored.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:27 pm

rawaction wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Montgomery lacks the breakaway speed to be an elite runner, but I'm pretty happy with him as part of a rotation for the next few years. He's shifty, he hits holes decisively and he powers through for extra yards. His blitz pickup has improved as the season has gone on, too.

Yeah, even though he had a rating in the 60's. I thought he looked as good as good as he has at any point in his career on Sunday. The INTs were whatever. Redzone INT can't happen, but it took a great play by the LB. The deep ball INTs never bother me. Sucked that there was a 50-yard return of it, but if you're going to throw picks, best time to do it is on a deep shot. I've seen criticism of the TD pass to Robinson for being short, but that was a layup pass (that he has missed before) and who cares that it was ugly, he scored.

Even the RZ INT didn't bother me that much. Like, yea it sucks, but at this point, if Mitch is being aggressive and is throwing the ball past 10 yards past the LOS or more, I'm okay with some inevitable INT. Maybe I'm giving him an unfairly low bar to cleae, but that's it for me at this juncture.
0 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:35 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
rawaction wrote:

Even the RZ INT didn't bother me that much. Like, yea it sucks, but at this point, if Mitch is being aggressive and is throwing the ball past 10 yards past the LOS or more, I'm okay with some inevitable INT. Maybe I'm giving him an unfairly low bar to cleae, but that's it for me at this juncture.

It's a low bar but that's the standard he could conceivably meet at this point. I hate the drops though. I'd like to see how he'd look without those.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:48 pm

Soul wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
rawaction wrote:

It's a low bar but that's the standard he could conceivably meet at this point. I hate the drops though. I'd like to see how he'd look without those.

Yeah, that's what it is. Basically, if he's not taking unnecessary sacks and missing open guys running beyond 5 yards you have to take what he gives you. Kinda always has been his thing. He doesn't throw many INTs, and Lord knows it's not because of supreme accuracy.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:05 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
rawaction wrote:

The RZ INT was bad, but it wouldn't have happened if the TD would have been converted earlier.

I don't mind a long bomb INT, if the INT is caused by something other than the pass being 20 yards underthrown. It was returned 50 yards because there was no Bears anywhere near where he threw the ball.
2 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:27 pm

On the Bears subreddit, a surprising number of people seem to think that there is some secret to unlocking Mitch's hidden powers. If the play calling was just so, and the Oline was better, and the WR's were better, and if they'd get him out of the pocket, and run a hurry up offense, THEN we'd see the real Mitch. Everyone else has been holding him back, you see.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:29 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:On the Bears subreddit, a surprising number of people seem to think that there is some secret to unlocking Mitch's hidden powers. If the play calling was just so, and the Oline was better, and the WR's were better, and if they'd get him out of the pocket, and run a hurry up offense, THEN we'd see the real Mitch. Everyone else has been holding him back, you see.

well, he is just now getting to the point of a full college career worth of games...
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:38 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:On the Bears subreddit, a surprising number of people seem to think that there is some secret to unlocking Mitch's hidden powers. If the play calling was just so, and the Oline was better, and the WR's were better, and if they'd get him out of the pocket, and run a hurry up offense, THEN we'd see the real Mitch. Everyone else has been holding him back, you see.

It's a mix of denial and Bears fans having never seen a really good quarterback developed so they cant accept the fact that he doesn't have it
0 x
Win it for Fred

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:55 pm

I think the hidden powers are an average QB, which generally means inconsistent too. I was hoping he had enough to be a slightly above average QB like a Flacco or Manning still, but this year has kind of killed that hope for me. He'd have to have Manning like year 5 leap for that to happen.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:00 pm

The Bears are somehow 2.5 point favorites now. People can't stop putting money on them this year.

0 x

Have a seat, Neifi
All-Star

Postby Have a seat, Neifi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:57 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:The Bears are somehow 2.5 point favorites now. People can't stop putting money on them this year.

Really not that surprising given the Lions' current QB situation. The Bears (as bad/meh as they are) really have no business losing this game.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Thanksgiving Bears at Lions 11:30AM on Fox

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:29 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:wha when where
Same horsefeathers in his pro day workouts. Remove opposing players and he would be a superstar!
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:00 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:The Bears are somehow 2.5 point favorites now. People can't stop putting money on them this year.

Oh no. Who’s going to drop passes that hit them right in the hands now?
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Return to “Other Sports”