Chicago Bears offseason

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Chicago Bears offseason

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:27 pm

There are games on the schedule, including Sunday night vs the Chiefs on NBC, but none of that matters.

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Re: Chicago Bears offseason

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:16 pm

overall, the benefit of placing 3rd is real. much easier schedule then this year
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:48 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:overall, the benefit of placing 3rd is real. much easier schedule then this year

I think you'll really see the schedule affect the Packers next year. Teams that win a bunch of close games and look like they do statistically typically see a big time regression.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:55 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:overall, the benefit of placing 3rd is real. much easier schedule then this year

This plus Mack will not be invisible, his ineffectiveness this season is combination of many things - him sucking, Hicks injury, etc. - but, it's not because of injury. He'll come back in a big way next year.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:58 pm

rawaction wrote:

I think you'll really see the schedule affect the Packers next year. Teams that win a bunch of close games and look like they do statistically typically see a big time regression.

Was thinking the 49'ers might be a candidate for a big regression as well.
1 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:22 pm

gflore34 wrote:

This plus Mack will not be invisible, his ineffectiveness this season is combination of many things - him sucking, Hicks injury, etc. - but, it's not because of injury. He'll come back in a big way next year.

How much of it may be due to scheme change?
0 x
Spoiler: show

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:34 pm

Tim wrote:
gflore34 wrote:

The D has taken a slight step back that could be attributed to going from Fangio to Pagano, but Mack has absolutely disappeared
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:54 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Tim wrote:
gflore34 wrote:

The D has taken a slight step back that could be attributed to going from Fangio to Pagano, but Mack has absolutely disappeared

Scheme change and the above are probably factors, however, I don't think the Packers, etc. can count on Mack being terrible again next season.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:01 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Tim wrote:
gflore34 wrote:

I don't think the scheme has changed all that much. I think Pagano said he was going to keep things the same for the most part. On the surface, things don't look much different from 2018, scheme-wise.

I think if anything, the relative struggles this year probably gives Pagano leeway to switch things up a bit, which could serve as a nice little boost for some guys.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:03 pm

Anybody else think they make a change at OC?

Two years as an OC that doesn't actually call plays has probably not vaulted Helfrich into a situation where he can be a head coach again soon. But they probably have to make some real coaching staff changes on the offensive side. Nagy would have to relinquish play calling duty in order to get the best options.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:14 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Anybody else think they make a change at OC?

Two years as an OC that doesn't actually call plays has probably not vaulted Helfrich into a situation where he can be a head coach again soon. But they probably have to make some real coaching staff changes on the offensive side. Nagy would have to relinquish play calling duty in order to get the best options.

Its hard to know how much Helfrich is to blame. Wouldn't be surprised if he's kept... No one's going to be calling for his head.

Even with Mitch bouncing back some, at the very least a replacement at QB coach seems easy. Maybe Helfrich takes some of the fall there too, though.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:25 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Its hard to know how much Helfrich is to blame. Wouldn't be surprised if he's kept... No one's going to be calling for his head.

Even with Mitch bouncing back some, at the very least a replacement at QB coach seems easy. Maybe Helfrich takes some of the fall there too, though.

Wouldn't utilizing Mitch' strengths from Day 1 be a big step in right direction? We know the OL needs some help but, one of the few positives has been the emergence of Miller and to a lesser extent, Horsted/Holtz, they may found something at TE.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:26 pm

Current projected cap space:
11-15M (depending on where 2020 number falls)

Cap casualties to watch
Long (9.6 cap hit, 8.1 savings)
Amukamara (9, 8)
Floyd (13.2, 13.2)
Gabriel (6.5, 4.5)
Patterson (5.75, 5.25)
Shaheen (1.9, 1.3)
Braunecker (1.6, 1.5)

Extension candidates
Robinson, 15M cap hit. Only 2m in dead.
Fuller, 17.5M cap hit, 9m dead
Guess you could throw Floyd on this side too.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:28 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Current projected cap space:

Cap casualties to watch
Amukamara (9, 8)
Floyd (13.2, 13.2)
Gabriel (6.5, 4.5)
Patterson (5.75, 5.25)
Shaheen (1.9, 1.3)
Braunecker (1.6, 1.5)

Extension candidates

I can't imagine Floyd is a candidate for an extension.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:29 pm

gflore34 wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Wouldn't utilizing Mitch' strengths from Day 1 be a big step in right direction? We know the OL needs some help but, one of the few positives has been the emergence of Miller and to a lesser extent, Horsted/Holtz, they may found something at TE.

Horsted/Holtz are interesting flyers, but I think they need to do something at TE. If they don't they have a lot of faith that Burtons issues are all injury related and that he can overcome them. Even then though, they really don't have a great in line TE option with Shaheen busting.

There will be some decent TE FA is the good thing... Just gotta figure out how they wanna allocate what space they have.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:30 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Cap casualties to watch
Amukamara (9, 8)
Floyd (13.2, 13.2)
Gabriel (6.5, 4.5)
Patterson (5.75, 5.25)
Shaheen (1.9, 1.3)
Braunecker (1.6, 1.5)

Extension candidates

Second on Floyd, think he's done.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:31 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Cap casualties to watch
Amukamara (9, 8)
Floyd (13.2, 13.2)
Gabriel (6.5, 4.5)
Patterson (5.75, 5.25)
Shaheen (1.9, 1.3)
Braunecker (1.6, 1.5)

Extension candidates

It would basically require 1. Floyd really liking it here, 2. Pace saying he will be cut otherwise and 3. Floyd still really liking it here after that ultimatum.

Obviously he hasn't hit his potential as a pass rusher, but in the 7-9M per/year range, he'd probably be a good value.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:54 pm

In the pick watch, Oakland probably finishes no worse than 10th from bottom. They are 6-8, with two road games against below average division opponents (Den, LA). Bears probably end up middle of pack (maybe they win week 17 if it's not meaningful for Minn)

So Bears are probably looking at something like picks 44 and 49, give or take. That's about a mid 1st rounder on the trade chart if Pace decided to get aggressive.. :|
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:56 pm

Yeah, changes need to be made. As far as I can tell, Helfrich has nothing to do with anything. So I'm thinking he's either the fall guy or they keep him, let him call plays and potentially bring in Mariota to compete with Mitch.

QB coach and special teams coach also can probably go away.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:02 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Cap casualties to watch
Amukamara (9, 8)
Floyd (13.2, 13.2)
Gabriel (6.5, 4.5)
Patterson (5.75, 5.25)
Shaheen (1.9, 1.3)
Braunecker (1.6, 1.5)

Extension candidates

It would basically require 1. Floyd really liking it here, 2. Pace saying he will be cut otherwise and 3. Floyd still really liking it here after that ultimatum.

Obviously he hasn't hit his potential as a pass rusher, but in the 7-9M per/year range, he'd probably be a good value.

That's my thought as well. He's got 13.2 guaranteed if the Bears keep him. But if he likes it here, he could probably be persuaded to take a 4 year deal worth like 30-35Mil with 18-20Mil in guarantees. Increases his guarantees, but also gives the Bears some needed cap space. The issue here is there's next to nothing on the FA market and a draft pick (which would be in the mid 2nd round area at best, mind you) isn't likely to make teams stop triple teaming Mack.

So, they might have to bite the bullet on Floyd and look to trade or get a potential comp pick for him after 2020
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:03 pm

rawaction wrote:

Yeah, changes need to be made. As far as I can tell, Helfrich has nothing to do with anything. So I'm thinking he's either the fall guy or they keep him, let him call plays and potentially bring in Mariota to compete with Mitch.

QB coach and special teams coach also can probably go away.

It's crazy that Dave Raggone has been the QB coach for 4 years.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:07 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:In the pick watch, Oakland probably finishes no worse than 10th from bottom. They are 6-8, with two road games against below average division opponents (Den, LA). Bears probably end up middle of pack (maybe they win week 17 if it's not meaningful for Minn)

So Bears are probably looking at something like picks 44 and 49, give or take. That's about a mid 1st rounder on the trade chart if Pace decided to get aggressive.. :|

Bears are in the great position where they should get aggressive for a QB, but they can't afford to get aggressive for a QB, because they already got aggressive for a QB.
1 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:54 pm

I think they have to extend Trubisky and I'm in agreement that Mariota makes the most sense. He's not going to get a starting gig anywhere else. He will most likely be the cheapest of the names being discussed. Mariota should like his chances in Chicago over other teams who might have a better in house QB/draft pick. Then let them duke it out in camp for the right to start. This offense is so disappointing considering we have an Andy Reid disciple, a mobile QB and some respectable pass catchers. Hopefully they figure some stuff out this offseason.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:00 pm

BigbadB wrote:I think they have to extend Trubisky

What?
Why?
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:24 pm

Doom doom dooooooooom

The backloaded cap hits that fueled 2018 start coming due this offseason. You can create some space, but not enough to fill the many holes this team has.

Everyone good on the defense except Roquan will be 28+ next season and thus prone to crumbling to dust in a stiff wind. Everyone good on the offense is named Allen Robinson.

It’s the NFL, so you’re rarely doomed to a losing season before it starts. If they stay really healthy and get lucky they might threaten to win a weak division or a wild card spot before an ugly playoff bouncing. But they’re probably gonna suck.

They can’t even start the rebuild properly until all these contracts and caps in the draft years filter out. Next season is the garbage time of the success cycle, you just gotta play it out.

Maybe Trubisky is the worst QB in the league. Maybe he is secretly average and being held down by circumstances. But he definitely isn’t good, so you might as well try again soon.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”