Re: Chicago Bears offseason

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:30 pm

Burton cut
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:17 pm

Bears cut Trey Burton and signed Jason Spriggs from the Packers and the mighty Indiana University.

Burton is designated as a June 1 cut, which means his dead cap is spread over 2 seasons. Only a 4Mil dead hit this year, which will go down if another team signs him by the amount that he signs for, though I'd imagine he's probably really close to looking at retirement. Hasn't been healthy in over a year from a groin surgery. Saves almost 2.5Mil.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:14 pm

rawaction wrote:Bears cut Trey Burton and signed Jason Spriggs from the Packers and the mighty Indiana University.

Burton is designated as a June 1 cut, which means his dead cap is spread over 2 seasons. Only a 4Mil dead hit this year, which will go down if another team signs him by the amount that he signs for, though I'd imagine he's probably really close to looking at retirement. Hasn't been healthy in over a year from a groin surgery. Saves almost 2.5Mil.

Oh, that's nice they can spread out that dead cap money. It's going to be interesting to see how they draft next week.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:35 pm

BigbadB wrote:
rawaction wrote:Bears cut Trey Burton and signed Jason Spriggs from the Packers and the mighty Indiana University.

Oh, that's nice they can spread out that dead cap money. It's going to be interesting to see how they draft next week.

I don't think spreading the hit is that impactful. I doubt they plan to spend that extra money. But all things equal, better to take the extra cushion now and roll it forward.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:34 pm

Trey Burton signed by the Colts
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:10 am

Sounds like Burton got the vet min which means Bears gain an extra ~800k in cap space.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:12 pm

My best available for the Chicago Bears today:

1. Grant Delpit, S, LSU
2. Josh Jones, OT, Houston
3. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor
4. Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama
5. Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama
6. Antoine Winfield Jr, S, Minnesota
7. Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU
8. Yetur Gross-Matos, Edge, Penn State
9. Lucas Niang, OT, TCU
10. AJ Epeneza, Edge, Iowa

Ideally, the Bears can get two of these guys at 43 and 50. If McKinney comes off the board, watch for Pace to potentially trade up for Delpit. Jones is another possible trade up target, IMO. Be nice to get one of the top 3, and then trade back with 50 and get a guy in the next tier along with another pick either late tonight or early tomorrow. Or else, we got a long wait between picks. Be much easier waiting if the Bears pick up one of the top 3 and another of the 4-10.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:17 pm

rawaction wrote:My best available for the Chicago Bears today:

1. Grant Delpit, S, LSU
9. Lucas Niang, OT, TCU

Ideally, the Bears can get two of these guys at 43 and 50. If McKinney comes off the board, watch for Pace to potentially trade up for Delpit. Jones is another possible trade up target, IMO. Be nice to get one of the top 3, and then trade back with 50 and get a guy in the next tier along with another pick either late tonight or early tomorrow. Or else, we got a long wait between picks. Be much easier waiting if the Bears pick up one of the top 3 and another of the 4-10.

Another thing to consider is Paces affinity for trading future picks. He could do that today.

Trading next year's picks is kind of interesting though. I feel pretty confident that the major conferences will have a season in some form, but I could see a lot of seasons cancelled in the sub-Power 5 conferences. And even among the power 5 you could see stretched of seasons cancelled in response to local outbreaks. So that probably makes the traditional valuation of trading future picks tough (in addition to unknowns about the combine/draft process next spring).
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:25 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

1. Grant Delpit, S, LSU
9. Lucas Niang, OT, TCU

Another thing to consider is Paces affinity for trading future picks. He could do that today.

Trading next year's picks is kind of interesting though. I feel pretty confident that the major conferences will have a season in some form, but I could see a lot of seasons cancelled in the sub-Power 5 conferences. And even among the power 5 you could see stretched of seasons cancelled in response to local outbreaks. So that probably makes the traditional valuation of trading future picks tough (in addition to unknowns about the combine/draft process next spring).

Given the strength of the safety position from the best availables, I'm going to assume the Bears get one of those guys. Seems like there are 4 rock solid S's to pick from at 43 (Chinn being the only one not listed on Raw's top 10). Although I know it's time to restock the OT position, I kinda don't see them doing that this year since whoever they draft won't likely see the field this year. They don't have the luxury of stockpiling future talent this year given the lack of quality picks. I'll be interested to see if they pass on Kmet if he's available with their 2nd pick.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Re: RE: Re: Chicago Bears offseason

Postby rawaction » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:26 pm

BigbadB wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

1. Grant Delpit, S, LSU
9. Lucas Niang, OT, TCU

Given the strength of the safety position from the best availables, I'm going to assume the Bears get one of those guys. Seems like there are 4 rock solid S's to pick from at 43 (Chinn being the only one not listed on Raw's top 10). Although I know it's time to restock the OT position, I kinda don't see them doing that this year since whoever they draft won't likely see the field this year. They don't have the luxury of stockpiling future talent this year given the lack of quality picks. I'll be interested to see if they pass on Kmet if he's available with their 2nd pick.

Chinn and Ezra Cleveland would be my next two. I think they'll go defensive back first and then heavy offense the next 3 picks. Hopefully they can trade back unless one of those top offensive guys are there. I don't really want Kmet at 50. But could see that.

Could really use a pick before 164 for whatever position they don't get between OL and O playmaker at 50. So a future pick trade could be coming today or tomorrow.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Re: RE: Re: Chicago Bears offseason

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:41 pm

rawaction wrote:
BigbadB wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Another thing to consider is Paces affinity for trading future picks. He could do that today.

Chinn and Ezra Cleveland would be my next two. I think they'll go defensive back first and then heavy offense the next 3 picks. Hopefully they can trade back unless one of those top offensive guys are there. I don't really want Kmet at 50. But could see that.

Could really use a pick before 164 for whatever position they don't get between OL and O playmaker at 50. So a future pick trade could be coming today or tomorrow.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

if Kmet is there at 43, it would be hard to pass on him especially with this years safety depth. Kmet, Winfield would be very good draft, imo
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:34 pm

On the other hand, the Bears could pick Jalen Hurts and potentially subject us to a decade of bad "Love Hurts" puns twice every season.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:48 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:On the other hand, the Bears could pick Jalen Hurts and potentially subject us to a decade of bad "Love Hurts" puns twice every season.

yeah yeah
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:12 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:On the other hand, the Bears could pick Jalen Hurts and potentially subject us to a decade of bad "Love Hurts" puns twice every season.

Delicious
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:23 pm

I'm liking how it's shaping up for the Bears at 43.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:55 pm

Splendid Splinter wrote:I'm liking how it's shaping up for the Bears at 43.

Me 2
0 x

The Other One
Role Player

Postby The Other One » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:57 pm

Kmet.

Meh....
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:00 am

Kmet/Winfield is in play
0 x

The Other One
Role Player

Postby The Other One » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:01 am

I blame Shaheen. Or the moron who drafted him.
0 x

abmillis
All-Star

Postby abmillis » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:06 am

I feel like they need to trade down from 50 now, because they need a DB and an OL. Kmet may be a pretty good player, but you just gave Jimmy Graham a bunch of money and you have literally 9 TEs on the roster already.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:09 am

I hate the pick. Why is Shaheen still on the roster?
0 x
Win it for Fred

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:09 am

Based on projections, couldn't they have traded down from 43 and still gotten Kmet?

I mean, I guess someone has to be willing to trade.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:13 am

Did New Era or NFL send 32 hats to all of these players?
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:14 am

Tim wrote:Based on projections, couldn't they have traded down from 43 and still gotten Kmet?

I mean, I guess someone has to be willing to trade.

Thats always a risky game. If he's your guy you take it.

Underwhelmed, but hopefully he hits all the bullish parts of his scouting reports and this post looks silly in 2 years.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:15 am

abmillis wrote:I feel like they need to trade down from 50 now, because they need a DB and an OL. Kmet may be a pretty good player, but you just gave Jimmy Graham a bunch of money and you have literally 9 TEs on the roster already.

We have 9 te’s, 7 of whom we could prolly cut
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”