Chicago Bears offseason

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Re: Chicago Bears offseason

Postby Splendid Splinter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:31 am

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:He’s a first round pick they cut after 4 years. It’s an F.

what the hell is a C then?

A- HOF
B- Multiple All Pros
C- Multiple Pro Bowls
D- Multiple years of being top 10 at a position
F- Average starter or worse

is what I'm guessing his grade scale.
2 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:26 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:
David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:He’s a first round pick they cut after 4 years. It’s an F.

what the hell is a C then?

A- HOF
B- Multiple All Pros
C- Multiple Pro Bowls
D- Multiple years of being top 10 at a position
F- Average starter or worse

is what I'm guessing his grade scale.

If a 1st rounder is cut less than 5 years in, its an F.
Or DNQ if you’re feeling generous.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:29 am

I’m judging the draft pick you maroons. The player can be whatever he is, the draft pick is a failure. Floyd being a serviceable player for another team doesn’t bring any value to the bears. It was a terrible draft pick that worked out poorly for the team. They felt obligated to overpay another free agent (never good) to make up for their poor choice.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:34 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:I’m judging the draft pick you maroons. The player can be whatever he is, the draft pick is a failure. Floyd being a serviceable player for another team doesn’t bring any value to the bears. It was a terrible draft pick that worked out poorly for the team. They felt obligated to overpay another free agent (never good) to make up for their poor choice.

Agreed. Floyd himself may be a B- player, but the pick success was a failure.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:52 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:I’m judging the draft pick you maroons. The player can be whatever he is, the draft pick is a failure. Floyd being a serviceable player for another team doesn’t bring any value to the bears. It was a terrible draft pick that worked out poorly for the team. They felt obligated to overpay another free agent (never good) to make up for their poor choice.

Neither of you make any sense. He's a B- player, but the pick is a failure? WTF does that even mean? I understand that he was a top 10 pick and should have an A player. But him being a failed pick because he's a B- instead of an A is some Ricky Bobby "if ya ain't first ya last" type of BS.
2 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:53 am

rawaction wrote:

He started for 4 years for them. I don't think you can give Leonard Floyd the same grade as Kevin White, who started 0 games and is out of the league before his 5th year. Floyd was cut because he was scheduled to make 13Mil. He was signed like a day and half later for 10Mil. Same logic makes Adrian Amos a bad pick because they made to effort to re-sign him after 4 years.
i had no idea the bears spent a 1st round pick on Adrian Amos
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:55 am

rawaction wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Neither of you make any sense. He's a B- player, but the pick is a failure? WTF does that even mean? I understand that he was a top 10 pick and should have an A player. But him being a failed pick because he's a B- instead of an A is some Ricky Bobby "if ya ain't first ya last" type of BS.

I don’t really think you understand he was a top ten pick. If your top ten pick doesn’t make it to his next contest with you, it was a bad pick.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:08 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
rawaction wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Agreed. Floyd himself may be a B- player, but the pick success was a failure.

I don’t really think you understand he was a top ten pick. If your top ten pick doesn’t make it to his next contest with you, it was a bad pick.

A bad pick and a F pick is not the same thing.
2 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:56 am

rawaction wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
rawaction wrote:

This. Jersey is saying that Floyd basically gets the same grade as Kevin White which is just bat [expletive] insane.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:43 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:
rawaction wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:I don’t really think you understand he was a top ten pick. If your top ten pick doesn’t make it to his next contest with you, it was a bad pick.

This. Jersey is saying that Floyd basically gets the same grade as Kevin White which is just bat [expletive] insane.

I guess it just is based on your scale. But by most analysis if you "hit" on half your picks you're considered doing a good or adequate job, most picks will end up with an F grade I guess. Curve the scale a little more harshly for higher picks and even a decent player is a failure in the top 10.
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:35 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
rawaction wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Agreed. Floyd himself may be a B- player, but the pick success was a failure.

Yeah this doesn’t make sense. He didn’t get cut because he’s a bad player, he got cut because he isnt worth the money. You got 4 years of cheap production out of him. It’s a B/C at worst. B- I think was pretty spot on. Many first rounders are out of the league after their rookie contract. Those are Fs. As someone else brought up, what would you rate the Amos pick? He wasn’t resigned after his rookie deal, so also an F?
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:11 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
rawaction wrote:

Yeah this doesn’t make sense. He didn’t get cut because he’s a bad player, he got cut because he isnt worth the money. You got 4 years of cheap production out of him. It’s a B/C at worst. B- I think was pretty spot on. Many first rounders are out of the league after their rookie contract. Those are Fs. As someone else brought up, what would you rate the Amos pick? He wasn’t resigned after his rookie deal, so also an F?

right...even if you say first rounders are curved differently than someone like amos (i don't disagree), the fact that floyd isn't with the bears is because they saw an opportunity to upgrade and they chose to do that. they could've just as easily kept him and been fine. and neither outcome changes the fact that the pick just doesn't merit an F by any remotely sane standards.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:29 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:
rawaction wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:I don’t really think you understand he was a top ten pick. If your top ten pick doesn’t make it to his next contest with you, it was a bad pick.

So anyone better than White is automatically a D- or better? What does Mitch get?
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:52 am

If the Bears draft class was graded purely by the names of the picks, they get an A+

1 x
Win it for Fred

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:05 pm

Overall, it was a decent but not great draft with nothing likely to change the path of the team.

Smet, Gipson, and Vildor were reaches while Johnson and Mooney were good value picks.

Who I would have selected at each spot:

Delphit S LSU (43)
Mims WR Baylor (50)
Hall CB UVA (155)
Weaver Edge Boise (163)
Adeniji OG/OT Kansas (173)
Sullivan TE LSU (226)
Hinton OG Washburn (227)
1 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:49 pm

UK wrote:Overall, it was a decent but not great draft with nothing likely to change the path of the team.

Smet, Gipson, and Vildor were reaches while Johnson and Mooney were good value picks.

Who I would have selected at each spot:

Delphit S LSU (43)
Mims WR Baylor (50)
Hall CB UVA (155)
Weaver Edge Boise (163)
Adeniji OG/OT Kansas (173)
Sullivan TE LSU (226)
Hinton OG Washburn (227)

Damn dude did you hack into my spreadsheet? I have a Bears/fantasy football spreadsheet that I keep for data for any articles I may write. One of the things I have is "who I would have selected" sheet, and I try to do it right after the pick so as to not be one of those people 3 years down the line that's like, "I would have taken Mahomes, Kamara, and Kittle".

But anyway, I have these guys who I would have picked yesterday:

Grant Delpit
Denzel Mims
Bryce Hall
Curtis Weaver
Hakeem Adeniji
David Woodward
Darius Anderson
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:09 pm

0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:52 pm

If there's any sliver of cap room please get Fluker or Britt.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:24 pm

UK wrote:If there's any sliver of cap room please get Fluker or Britt.

The Chicago Sea-Bears.
The Chicago Bear-Hawks.

They have room if they want though most guys at this stage in FA really should just take a sliver, like vet minimum contracts.

I'd be on the lookout for another RB and perhaps a S. NT is also only one deep, but that is a spot they could conceivably just carry one on the active roster, and then maybe a PS player. The RB they signed in UDFA actually sounds kind of interesting, but still very underwhelmed with the depth of that group.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:10 pm

Fluker, not Britt
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:46 pm

The last couple years, they had some really interesting NDFA. How is this year's batch?
0 x
Spoiler: show

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:02 pm

LOL.

Tim: you guys are too binary on picks success or failure.

Goony: not a hall of famer, F.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:32 pm

Soul wrote:LOL.

Tim: you guys are too binary on picks success or failure.

Goony: not a hall of famer, F.

This is a dumb interpretation of what was said.

He was a top 10 pick and they release him because they felt the need to go into free agency to get an older guy to fill his spot. The pick is an absolute failure. If your first round pick isn't playing for you 5 years later, it's a huge failure that only an injury can excuse. This isn't the least bit controversial. It was a bad pick.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:47 pm

Tim wrote:The last couple years, they had some really interesting NDFA. How is this year's batch?

Khalil Mack's brother is one.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:29 pm

The RB from Oregon State and maybe the OL from Yale sound the most interesting to me. Just based on depth I'd think the RB could make the roster. The OL would be pure PS fodder though.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”