Chicago Bears offseason

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Re: Chicago Bears offseason

Postby BigbadB » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:22 am

Last I saw, Eric Berry was still a free agent. He took a whole year off to nurse his injuries. Fresh legs.

Looks like there are some other options that could be brought in as well. Tony Jefferson and Tavon Wilson to name a few.
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:22 am

BigbadB wrote:Last I saw, Eric Berry was still a free agent. He took a whole year off to nurse his injuries. Fresh legs.

He hasn't played more than 2 games in a season since 2016 due to his Achilles injury and then having a bunch of setbacks from that injury. He'll also be 32 sometime this year. With that type of injury, I'm just not sure if he'll be close to being back to his old self even with taking a year off. Not many players bounce back from that.

That being said, I would still take a flier on him on a vet min deal. Worth kicking the tires on him and bring some competition at SS.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:26 am

we dont need a safety
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:56 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:we dont need a safety

You're comfortable with Bush starting? I don't mind him starting to see what we got, but I'm not opposed to bring in competition for that spot. Plus we're REALLY thin on depth if Bush or Jackson gets hurt. I would like to have that capable backup as insurance whether it's Bush or whoever we bring in. Like BigbadB said, there are some interesting options out there in FA.
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:00 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:we dont need a safety

I think you could probably get at least bring in better competition for Bush. There's a couple still sitting out there with starting experience. Minimum salary + small signing bonus. Everyone behind Bush is basically pure special teamers and a guy who spent 2019 out of the NFL and apparently was cut by the Seattle Dragons of the XFL in mini camp?!

Vets still available with recent starting experience
Tony Jefferson
Tashaun Gipson (just released)
Reshad Jones
Eric Reid
Tavon Wilson
Clayton Geathers
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:44 am

Question: Why are they available?

Answer: As running backs lose importance in the nfl, so do safeties and mlb’s

Just play with 3 cb’s and Jackson
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:21 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:Question: Why are they available?

Why is Clowney still available? Are you under the impression that anyone that isn't currently signed is no good? I wouldn't take that stance. Sometimes a player is not as good as he thinks he is for the money he is asking for. There are plenty of reasons someone might not be signed right now.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:37 pm

BigbadB wrote:

Why is Clowney still available? Are you under the impression that anyone that isn't currently signed is no good? I wouldn't take that stance. Sometimes a player is not as good as he thinks he is for the money he is asking for. There are plenty of reasons someone might not be signed right now.

Clowney is still available? Damn, what's he asking for to still be unsigned?
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:40 pm

You're not totally wrong. Obviously the skills at S gave greatly shifted already with offenses. You're still looking at differences in how the position is played, that you aren't gonna literally just drop in a CB without prior development at S (and this year will likely suck to try and do a crash course since team activities will be restricted). You still want a good run support player who can also cover a bigger receiver in 12 personnel, probably at least 50% of the time. And most importantly make sure Jackson is that single high role again unlike with Clinton-Dix, where he was forced into that box S position a lot instead.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:20 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

You're not totally wrong. Obviously the skills at S gave greatly shifted already with offenses. You're still looking at differences in how the position is played, that you aren't gonna literally just drop in a CB without prior development at S (and this year will likely suck to try and do a crash course since team activities will be restricted). You still want a good run support player who can also cover a bigger receiver in 12 personnel, probably at least 50% of the time. And most importantly make sure Jackson is that single high role again unlike with Clinton-Dix, where he was forced into that box S position a lot instead.

the shear number of CB's on this roster should facilitate one taking on the S position, quantity is a quality. But I get what you are saying about forcing Jackson to play up as opposed to the single high pos he excels at. I'm just not convinced a traditional SS is the answer

Clowney: the news out here is saying that the Seahawks are aggressively trying to sign him, hence the Fluker and Britt cuts
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:31 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

the shear number of CB's on this roster should facilitate one taking on the S position, quantity is a quality. But I get what you are saying about forcing Jackson to play up as opposed to the single high pos he excels at. I'm just not convinced a traditional SS is the answer

Clowney: the news out here is saying that the Seahawks are aggressively trying to sign him, hence the Fluker and Britt cuts

Certainly not a traditional 1990s SS, but theres enough intriguing S out there that I'd rather try to get one of them for the vet min that to go to Kevin Tolliver or someone and saying, "how do you feel about S"?

Denmark is the one guy who I'm guessing they may move over, but I bet he's another year on the PS and not a starter for 2020.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:42 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:You're not totally wrong. Obviously the skills at S gave greatly shifted already with offenses. You're still looking at differences in how the position is played, that you aren't gonna literally just drop in a CB without prior development at S (and this year will likely suck to try and do a crash course since team activities will be restricted). You still want a good run support player who can also cover a bigger receiver in 12 personnel, probably at least 50% of the time. And most importantly make sure Jackson is that single high role again unlike with Clinton-Dix, where he was forced into that box S position a lot instead.

Certainly not a traditional 1990s SS, but theres enough intriguing S out there that I'd rather try to get one of them for the vet min that to go to Kevin Tolliver or someone and saying, "how do you feel about S"?

Denmark is the one guy who I'm guessing they may move over, but I bet he's another year on the PS and not a starter for 2020.

Exactly my point. The S position is super thin. There are guys who are currently unsigned that could fit right in. I have faith that Deon Bush can be a starter, but behind him there is next to no help. I've thought about some of the CB's maybe switching positions, and I wondered that in this thread earlier. But, now that the draft is over and a S wasn't in the cards, someone else will need to be brought in to at the very least provide more depth to the position, even if you think Denmark might be candidate to switch. He is a big boy. Maybe Pace thinks there will be some talent at the safety position cut in the next wave of roster moves.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:40 pm

Fluker to the Ravens.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:15 pm

Here's the NDFAs

Lee Autry, Mississippi State defensive tackle (6-2, 305)
Started all four games he played as a senior last season, registering 12 tackles, 2.5 tackles-for-loss and 0.5 sacks … Appeared in 12 games as a junior in 2018, registering 11 tackles … Brother is Colts defensive lineman Denico Autry.

Dieter Eiselen, Yale guard (6-4, 310)
Grew up in South Africa playing rugby … Made 34 starts in four seasons … Was named first-team All-Ivy League last year.

Keandre Jones, Maryland linebacker (6-3, 220)
Started all 12 games last year as a senior team captain, leading Maryland with 7.0 sacks, 15.0 tackles-for-loss and three forced fumbles. … Was named honorable mention All-Big Ten as a senior … Transferred to Maryland after playing first three seasons at Ohio State.

LaCale London, Western Illinois linebacker (6-5, 280)
Grew up in Peoria … Was named honorable mention All-Missouri Valley Conference last season, starting all 12 games and compiling 45 tackles, 4.0 sacks, 9.5 tackles-for-loss and three forced fumbles … Spent final two seasons at Western Illinois after playing at Iowa Central Community College in 2016.

Ledarius Mack, Buffalo linebacker (6-1, 240)
Younger brother of Bears star Khalil Mack … Spent past two seasons at Buffalo, appearing in 27 games and recording 10 sacks and four forced fumbles … Was named second-team all-Mid-American Conference last year after registering 8.0 sacks, 12 tackles-for-loss and three forced fumbles … Transferred to Buffalo after two seasons at ASA College in Miami … Did not play football in high school (attended a school that did not have a football team).

Napoleon Maxwell, Florida International running back (6-0, 215)
Appeared in 45 games in four seasons, rushing for 2,090 yards and 22 touchdowns on 392 carries … Gained 684 yards on 128 attempts as a junior in 2018 and 675 yards also on 128 carries in 2019 … Played in six games as a freshman in 2014 before missing the 2015 and 2016 seasons with torn ACLs.

Trevor McSwain, Duke defensive tackle (6-6, 285)
Appeared in 49 games over four seasons, compiling 102 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 14.0 tackles-for-loss and five forced fumbles … Played in all 12 contests with nine starts as a senior last year, recording 34 tackles, 4.0 sacks, 7.0 tackles-for-loss and three forced fumbles … Graduated in December 2019 with a degree in psychology.

Artavis Pierce, Oregon State running back (5-11, 208)
Played in 44 career games with 13 starts over four seasons, rushing for 2,127 yards and 15 touchdowns on 366 carries … Tied for tops in school history with 5.8 yards per carry … Also caught 74 passes for 578 yards and two TDs … Named honorable mention Pac-12 All-Academic in 2017 and 2018 … Appeared in 12 games with seven starts last year as a senior, rushing for 873 yards and six TDs on 146 carries.

Rashad Smith, Florida Atlantic linebacker (6-1, 220)
Played in 51 games over four seasons, registering 316 tackles, 31.0 tackles-for-loss, 11.5 sacks and seven interceptions … Last year as a senior set career highs with 109 tackles and 11.5 tackles-for-loss and led nation with five fumble recoveries while also compiling 3.5 sacks and three interceptions.

Badara Traore, LSU tackle (6-7, 320)
Played in 26 games with five starts past two seasons after transferring from ASA College in Brooklyn, NY. … Last year served primarily as backup right tackle but did start three of 13 games played, starting at both tackle positions … Was top-rated junior college offensive line prospect in 2018 … Earned degree in interdisciplinary studies in December 2019.

Ahmad Wagner, Kentucky receiver (6-5, 234)
Played in 23 games with 11 starts in two seasons, catching 15 passes for 254 yards and two touchdowns, all coming in 2019 … Averaged 16.9 yards per reception … Played three seasons on basketball team at Iowa before transferring to Kentucky to play football.

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/roste ... ree-agents
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:34 pm

Of the UDFAs, I like Pierce. Beating out Ryan Nall shouldn't be a tall task. He's got breakaway speed, can break a big run, and is a viable pass catcher out of the backfield.

Also very intrigued by McSwain from Duke. Probably more of a developmental practice squad guy that won't make the 53, but kinda has the Roy Robertson-Harris body type.

Traore, I've never heard of, but being the top JUCO tackle and getting a scholarship to LSU means he has some ability.

Mack's brother is probably gonna be an inside LB, based on his size.

Wagner, as you might expect based on size and basketball background, is going to be a TE, bringing the total back to 10 TEs on the roster.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:15 pm

rawaction wrote:Of the UDFAs, I like Pierce. Beating out Ryan Nall shouldn't be a tall task. He's got breakaway speed, can break a big run, and is a viable pass catcher out of the backfield.

Also very intrigued by McSwain from Duke. Probably more of a developmental practice squad guy that won't make the 53, but kinda has the Roy Robertson-Harris body type.

Traore, I've never heard of, but being the top JUCO tackle and getting a scholarship to LSU means he has some ability.

Mack's brother is probably gonna be an inside LB, based on his size.

Wagner, as you might expect based on size and basketball background, is going to be a TE, bringing the total back to 10 TEs on the roster.

Agreed on Pierce. Seems most likely to make the roster (him and Nall were teammates coincidentally)
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:30 am

0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Re: Floyd. That was an incredibly weak draft. Only 2 of the next 10 picks after Floyd were starters for the team that drafted them in 2019.

The guys that were clearly much better picks than Floyd - Prescott, Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, etc - were picked so far after Floyd, it’s hard to blame the Bears for mis-scouting them when everyone else did, too.

Was Floyd a great pick? No. But he isn’t a “traded up for Mitch when they could’ve gotten Mahomes or Watson” type of disaster.
1 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:37 pm

champaignchris wrote:Re: Floyd. That was an incredibly weak draft. Only 2 of the next 10 picks after Floyd were starters for the team that drafted them in 2019.

The guys that were clearly much better picks than Floyd - Prescott, Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, etc - were picked so far after Floyd, it’s hard to blame the Bears for mis-scouting them when everyone else did, too.

Was Floyd a great pick? No. But he isn’t a “traded up for Mitch when they could’ve gotten Mahomes or Watson” type of disaster.

That's how I feel about it.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:37 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Soul wrote:LOL.

Tim: you guys are too binary on picks success or failure.

Goony: not a hall of famer, F.

This is a dumb interpretation of what was said.

He was a top 10 pick and they release him because they felt the need to go into free agency to get an older guy to fill his spot. The pick is an absolute failure. If your first round pick isn't playing for you 5 years later, it's a huge failure that only an injury can excuse. This isn't the least bit controversial. It was a bad pick.

It was just a joke.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:21 pm

Andy Dalton is available
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:38 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Andy Dalton is available

I'd prefer Dalton and Foles competing in training camp over Trubisky, but I doubt that happens. I am interested in Kenny Stills for that burner WR.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:26 pm

BigbadB wrote:

I'd prefer Dalton and Foles competing in training camp over Trubisky, but I doubt that happens. I am interested in Kenny Stills for that burner WR.

I'd go back in time, keep that 4th and sign Dalton now.

Kind of would like to bring in a UDFA QB as an alternative to a PS QB to Bray, but don't see the use in Dalton at this point, unless you're trying to just dump Mitch.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:46 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
BigbadB wrote:

Kind of would like to bring in a UDFA QB as an alternative to a PS QB to Bray, but don't see the use in Dalton at this point, unless you're trying to just dump Mitch.

Dalton will get more than the Bears can offer anyway. I think Mitch is already done with this team, barring an injury or a complete meltdown worse than Trubisky's 2019. Sure, there's a competition going into camp. But it's a competition in the sense that Trubisky will need to beat out Foles to win the job. Maybe he does, but I doubt it. Motivation hasn't been Trubisky's problem. Inability to read defenses, be in tune with his receivers, make accurate throws and not panic under pressure, among other things.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:30 pm

BigbadB wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
BigbadB wrote:

Dalton will get more than the Bears can offer anyway. I think Mitch is already done with this team, barring an injury or a complete meltdown worse than Trubisky's 2019. Sure, there's a competition going into camp. But it's a competition in the sense that Trubisky will need to beat out Foles to win the job. Maybe he does, but I doubt it. Motivation hasn't been Trubisky's problem. Inability to read defenses, be in tune with his receivers, make accurate throws and not panic under pressure, among other things.

Yea I'm counting on Foles to win the starting job, but then Mitch is the backup, which is a role his skill level is actually fine for, but theres no use then wasting additional cap on Dalton as well, unless you could Unload Mitch for like a conditional 5th rounder or something. They'll keep 2 QBs active with Bray on the PS.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”