Chicago Bears offseason

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: Chicago Bears offseason

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:23 pm

The Bears should be all over TE Albert Okwuegbunam, I think, on draft day. Guy caught a million TDs in a handful of passes while with the NCAA, weighed in like a beast, and then ran a 4.5 today...Whoever the Bears' Theo is needs to make it happen. Trubisky can't miss someome that big, maybe?
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:12 am

0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:00 pm

BigbadB wrote:
I think each of Keenum, Mariota and Dalton are better QB options than Trubisky. They would be cheaper than Carr, so hopefully they get someone who can step in if Trubisky shows no improvement. There is no reason to waste an entire season if you realize after the first few weeks that Trubisky just isn't the guy. I do admit that trading for Carr is giving up on Trubisky, whereas the other 3 might be willing to challenge Trubisky in training camp. Before Carr was rumored to be available, I didn't really think the Bears would go after a starting caliber QB to begin with, mostly because of cap space restrictions.

Statistically speaking, they aren't much better if at all. Granted, QB rating isn't the end all be all of statistics but:

Keenum- has 2 seasons in the last 4 worse than Trubisky's 2019 83 QB rating. Only 1 season in his career better than Trubisky's 2018 95.4 rating. Also, 32 years old with no upside to get better.

Mariota- has 1 season better than Trubisky's 2018 95.4, and that was a 95.6 season. Same issues as Mitch with taking sacks. Doesn't throw a lot of picks, but similar gunshy and doesn't process quick enough to anticipate hitting an open receiver. More consistently mediocre though than the rest of this group, Trubisky included.

Dalton- was statistically worse than Trubisky in 2019. Only has 1 season with a better QB rating than Mitch's 2018, and that was back in 2015. Older than Keenum so also doesn't have upside to improve. A little INT happy at times. Doesn't have a bunch of arm talent.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:05 pm

rawaction wrote:
BigbadB wrote:
I think each of Keenum, Mariota and Dalton are better QB options than Trubisky. They would be cheaper than Carr, so hopefully they get someone who can step in if Trubisky shows no improvement. There is no reason to waste an entire season if you realize after the first few weeks that Trubisky just isn't the guy. I do admit that trading for Carr is giving up on Trubisky, whereas the other 3 might be willing to challenge Trubisky in training camp. Before Carr was rumored to be available, I didn't really think the Bears would go after a starting caliber QB to begin with, mostly because of cap space restrictions.

Statistically speaking, they aren't much better if at all. Granted, QB rating isn't the end all be all of statistics but:

Keenum- has 2 seasons in the last 4 worse than Trubisky's 2019 83 QB rating. Only 1 season in his career better than Trubisky's 2018 95.4 rating. Also, 32 years old with no upside to get better.

Mariota- has 1 season better than Trubisky's 2018 95.4, and that was a 95.6 season. Same issues as Mitch with taking sacks. Doesn't throw a lot of picks, but similar gunshy and doesn't process quick enough to anticipate hitting an open receiver. More consistently mediocre though than the rest of this group, Trubisky included.

Dalton- was statistically worse than Trubisky in 2019. Only has 1 season with a better QB rating than Mitch's 2018, and that was back in 2015. Older than Keenum so also doesn't have upside to improve. A little INT happy at times. Doesn't have a bunch of arm talent.

isn't passer rating up league wide?

if it were a good statistic we wouldn't be talking about replacing trubisky. his 2018 wasn't nearly as good as his passer rating makes it out to be. at least, not if you're looking at it from the standards of even 5-10 years ago.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:32 pm

David wrote:
rawaction wrote:
BigbadB wrote:

if it were a good statistic we wouldn't be talking about replacing trubisky. his 2018 wasn't nearly as good as his passer rating makes it out to be. at least, not if you're looking at it from the standards of even 5-10 years ago.

it is up, but so what. None of those 3 are significanlty better the Mitch. Bridgewater is probably the only available *obvious upgrade, unless he resigned already and I missed it.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:37 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
David wrote:
rawaction wrote:

it is up, but so what. None of those 3 are significanlty better the Mitch. Bridgewater is probably the only available *obvious upgrade, unless he resigned already and I missed it.

Bridgewater is gone from NO. Brees is coming back and Tayson Hill has already stated he's willing to stick around NO behind Brees another year. Free Agency hasn't opened yet, so he is available. He's going to cost more than the Bears can afford most likely.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:57 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
David wrote:
rawaction wrote:

dalton is probably better but i wouldn't bother with him mariota fine whatever if they want him to back up and have someone to throw in if mitch really horsefeathers the bed. don't care at all to bother with keenum.

carr is the best of the bunch. carr or bust.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:38 pm

David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
David wrote:

dalton is probably better but i wouldn't bother with him mariota fine whatever if they want him to back up and have someone to throw in if mitch really horsefeathers the bed. don't care at all to bother with keenum.

carr is the best of the bunch. carr or bust.

i'd prolly go Bridgewater or Carr, then Mitch...or bust
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:39 pm

David wrote:
rawaction wrote:
BigbadB wrote:

Not sure the point you were trying to make here. And if anything, his passer rating doesn't take into account his legs which makes his 2018 out to be worse than it actually was. But using the same metrics for all these guys, they aren't significantly better if at all.
0 x

MidoreX
All-Star

Postby MidoreX » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:15 pm

Bears re-signed Trevathan for 3 years, details haven't been announced yet so it's too early to evaluate the move. I'm pretty surprised considering how well Kwitkowski did filling in and Trevathan's age...
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:17 pm

MidoreX wrote:Bears re-signed Trevathan for 3 years, details haven't been announced yet so it's too early to evaluate the move. I'm pretty surprised considering how well Kwitkowski did filling in and Trevathan's age...

Yea, thats ....less then optimal. Hope he’s cheap
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:33 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
MidoreX wrote:Bears re-signed Trevathan for 3 years, details haven't been announced yet so it's too early to evaluate the move. I'm pretty surprised considering how well Kwitkowski did filling in and Trevathan's age...

What is less than optimal?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:03 pm

Being signed by the Bears.

1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:49 pm

David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

I would have preferred Kwitkowski unless he was just too expensive
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:50 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Being signed by the Bears.

you'd horsefeathers yourself for even a rookie contract
0 x

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:22 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:Yea, thats ....less then optimal. Hope he’s cheap

I would have preferred Kwitkowski unless he was just too expensive

Maybe the expectation is that Kwitkowski nets a comp pick - I've read that he's being looked at as a starter by teams in FA. Trevathan costs them nothing in the comp pick calculation, and likely will have signed for less than Kwit will get.
Granted, for Kwit to net a comp pick we would have to sign players only for less than his contract amount, which seems impossible if a journeyman starting-level QB is signed.
I think Roquan, Travethan, PIerre-Louis, Woods/Iggy is a solid ILB group.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:25 pm

Yea I was pretty Bearish on White Nick's market value. But if he is going to get solid starter money, like the type Danny got 3-4 years ago, say goodbye, and hope it nets a comp pick to boot.

I'd assume Danny's deal is in like the sub 3M AAV range. If that's the case and the guarantees are modest, I'm cool with this move. Resign KPL as depth though. And depending on how you feel about Woods/Iggy drafting another day 3 guy should be in play.
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:21 pm

0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:35 pm

Butterscup wrote:https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1238515125247713281

thats....steep. ouch
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:36 pm

Butterscup wrote:https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1238515125247713281

Well i couldn't have been more wrong.

Dont like that value. If he stays healthy he may live up to it, but seems risky.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:17 pm

I don't love the Trevathan re-signing. But hard to complain about them re-signing an obvious good player and leader on defense. Word is they tried to sign Kwiatkoski, but doesn't seem like he was open to it. Trevathan got 7M per which is steep, but Kwit is easily going to get 8 per and maybe as much as a 4/40 type contract. That being said, i would have preferred to go cheap at ILB. I would have re-signed Kevin Pierre Louis, who played extremely well in his few starts to end the season. Then I would have gone after a guy like Darron Lee. Lee and KPL could probably both be had for similar or even less than Trevathan got. Lee was a former 1st round pick, who had some decent (not great) years with the Jets. Traded to Chiefs last year and didn't really see much of the field on D. He fits the mold of a fast LB who can blitz and cover that the Bears like. He's a very good special teams player (like KPL) and I think the competition between those 2 to start next to Smith would have yielded a pretty good LB duo. Could see if KPL could continue his play from his first time getting an extended look last year or Lee could have really taken off (at still just 25-26 years old) surrounded by studs at each level. If Trevathan had walked and gotten a 3/21 deal from someone else he would have added to the Bears comp pick formula.
1 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:43 pm

Bears also gave Roy Robertson Harris a 2nd round tender. His salary will be about 3.4Mil for this year. So, the Bears probably used 10Mil of their projected 24 Mil of cap space yesterday.

This was a necessary move, but I wouldn't hate it if someone offered him a long-term deal and the Bears got a 2nd round pick back for him. That's not going to happen though.
1 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:44 pm

0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Butterscup wrote:https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1239607196264140805

I know he led the Saints to a good record last year and he tore up the Bears. Can he be an above average NFL starter though? Especially on a team with a pretty poor OLine.
0 x
Win it for Fred

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:35 pm

Butterscup wrote:https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1239607196264140805

I guess if they go cheap on all the other positions of need, that might work. I don't imagine they will be signing a TE, but rather drafting one. Still need CB, S, DL, OL, TE, which many of those can be filled via the draft. If Alex Bars can slide into Long's spot at G, the line is probably set. A better throwing QB who can spread the field (and see the whole field) will make the OL better. A better passing game will improve the RB play. Defense is bringing back most of its starters, and there are internal options. Wonder if there were any diamonds in the rough from the XFL that might provide some cheap help to fill roster holes.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”