NFL Offseason

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: NFL Offseason

Postby Derwood » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:57 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Derwood wrote:I wouldn’t have guessed Brady to Tampa if you had given me 100 guesses.

Really? It was one of the 3-4 most commonly speculated landing spots.

A) I hadn’t heard that (admittedly haven’t followed the NFL offseason closely)

But

B) Tampa doesn’t feel like a team whose window was opening and where an over-the-hill Brady is going to get them to the next level
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:00 pm

Derwood wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Derwood wrote:I wouldn’t have guessed Brady to Tampa if you had given me 100 guesses.

Really? It was one of the 3-4 most commonly speculated landing spots.

A) I hadn’t heard that (admittedly haven’t followed the NFL offseason closely)

But

B) Tampa doesn’t feel like a team whose window was opening and where an over-the-hill Brady is going to get them to the next level

Tampa is ready to make a big jump if they get a decent QB who doesn't throw 30 picks. That said, I don't think Brady is the guy to get them over the hump.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:34 am

Rivers to Colts on 1-year deal

Bridgewater to Panthers
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:43 am

Derwood wrote:Bridgewater to Panthers

Good fit for him. The NFC South should be interesting outside Atlanta. That team’s going to suuuuck.
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:46 am

If it took you more than 31 guesses, well then you’re dumber than I thought.
4 x
Sticks the landing!!!

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:35 am

PackLandVA wrote:

1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:54 pm

PackLandVA wrote:

0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:34 pm

NOLA wrote:
Derwood wrote:Bridgewater to Panthers

Good fit for him. The NFC South should be interesting outside Atlanta. That team’s going to suuuuck.

Carolina's not going to be any good either unless the defense gets a LOT better (given their best defensive player just retired and their 2nd-best is leaving in free agency, seems unlikely). Bridgewater is solid but he's not going to win games by himself.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:19 pm

Derwood wrote:
PackLandVA wrote:

1 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:40 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:There goes my Mike Evans dream...Brady being on that roster might get Evans the HOF notice he should be getting...Oh man and OJ Howard is dirty too

Lukewarm take: the Bucs pass for less yards and TDs under Brady than under Winston.

But turn over the ball 25 fewer times and have a winning record.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:53 pm

champaignchris wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:There goes my Mike Evans dream...Brady being on that roster might get Evans the HOF notice he should be getting...Oh man and OJ Howard is dirty too

Lukewarm take: the Bucs pass for less yards and TDs under Brady than under Winston.

But turn over the ball 25 fewer times and have a winning record.

Additional icecold take: Brady will throw over 5 picks provided he plays close to 17 games (which he won't). That, and a lack of INTs won't result in Evans getting HOF buzz. You guys realize Brady is 43 years old and is going into a new system with an oline that ranked 22 is pass protection, compared to an oline that ranked 5th last year, right?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:46 pm

Todd Gurley released
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:11 pm

Todd Gurley signed
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:22 pm

0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:34 am

Holy horsefeathers! This is a perfect signing.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:09 pm

Hey, another reason to believe this sport and the people who run it need to be thrown into the sun:

Because teams are unable to oversee physicals due to the coronavirus outbreak, they have added provisions in player contracts stating that failed physicals will result in forfeited signing bonus money, league sources told ESPN.

The problem is that some players might not get a physical for months because of travel logistics related to the coronavirus, which has caused teams to shut down their operations for an indefinite period.

"Clubs are permitted to expressly condition a free agent's eligibility to receive and retain bonuses or an injury guarantee upon the player being given and passing a physical examination by the club's medical doctor when travel restrictions are lifted," a league official said.

If a player signs a three-year, $30 million contract with a $10 million signing bonus this week, for example, but fails a physical in June, he could lose the $10 million and be bound to a three-year, $20 million deal, potentially.

It's uncertain how many teams are drawing this hard line, but several sources have encountered the provision when finalizing contracts over the past two days. These items are negotiable between the player and the team, to be sure, but one source said the NFL and NFL Players Association should create standard contract language fairly addressing the issue for both parties, because each team makes its own tweaks.
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:56 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Hey, another reason to believe this sport and the people who run it need to be thrown into the sun:

Because teams are unable to oversee physicals due to the coronavirus outbreak, they have added provisions in player contracts stating that failed physicals will result in forfeited signing bonus money, league sources told ESPN.

The problem is that some players might not get a physical for months because of travel logistics related to the coronavirus, which has caused teams to shut down their operations for an indefinite period.

"Clubs are permitted to expressly condition a free agent's eligibility to receive and retain bonuses or an injury guarantee upon the player being given and passing a physical examination by the club's medical doctor when travel restrictions are lifted," a league official said.

If a player signs a three-year, $30 million contract with a $10 million signing bonus this week, for example, but fails a physical in June, he could lose the $10 million and be bound to a three-year, $20 million deal, potentially.

It's uncertain how many teams are drawing this hard line, but several sources have encountered the provision when finalizing contracts over the past two days. These items are negotiable between the player and the team, to be sure, but one source said the NFL and NFL Players Association should create standard contract language fairly addressing the issue for both parties, because each team makes its own tweaks.

Players aren’t forced to sign these contracts now. When a large portion of the country is currently unemployed because of the outbreak and another large portion will eventually be laid off because of the tanking economy, NFL players are at the very bottom on my list of who got horsefeathers most by this global pandemic.

And this is IF they fail a physical that would limit their ability, or increase risk of them becoming unable, to perform at the expected level of the agreed upon contract. Most owners are terrible humans, but this is one thing I don’t really have a problem with them doing.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:29 pm

The good news is that come fall, no one will be able to afford tickets to games, so the owners are gonna eat it
1 x

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:22 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Hey, another reason to believe this sport and the people who run it need to be thrown into the sun:

Players aren’t forced to sign these contracts now. When a large portion of the country is currently unemployed because of the outbreak and another large portion will eventually be laid off because of the tanking economy, NFL players are at the very bottom on my list of who got horsefeathers most by this global pandemic.

And this is IF they fail a physical that would limit their ability, or increase risk of them becoming unable, to perform at the expected level of the agreed upon contract. Most owners are terrible humans, but this is one thing I don’t really have a problem with them doing.

I really hope Jimmy Graham runs into some trouble during his physical...
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:55 pm

Also the Browns are talking Trent Williams, hopefully goes nowhere
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:45 pm

1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:55 pm

Panthers are dumping Cam Newton today
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:18 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Panthers are dumping Cam Newton today

Say what you want about Cam Newton, but this dude really threw for 35 TDs and 10 INTs, with another 10 rushing with Philly Brown, Jerricho Cotchery and Ted Ginn as his WRs and went 17-1 before Von Miller constantly destroyed his OL. All-time great season and Carolina really screwed him by refusing to give him decent receivers or an OL before his body couldn't hold up anymore.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:55 pm

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:01 pm

Supposedly the Cowboys are shopping LT Tyron Smith(!!!) but it came from a random Twitter account

https://nfltraderumors.co/nfc-east-note ... skins-142/

^^ Also Jeremy Fowler from ESPN reported there's some buzz the Cowboys might trade an expensive OLman and suggested Smith is the most valuable in a trade

Get on it, most current Jets' GM!
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”