College football hindsight season

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

College football hindsight season

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:25 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

UK
Hall of Fame

Re: College football hindsight season

Postby UK » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:46 pm

There were some good win total wagers to be had this Fall too.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:47 pm

There won't be a CFB season. I know no one is going to admit that until they have to, but it's a little frustrating to see it go away bit by bit like Marty McFly's family photo.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:48 pm

Andy wrote:There won't be a CFB season. I know no one is going to admit that until they have to, but it's a little frustrating to see it go away bit by bit like Marty McFly's family photo.

Well if all the conferences go conference-only, Notre Dane will just scrimmage itself 12 times
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:49 pm

We’re also going to see a lot of mid-level programs fold when their “travel to OSU or Alabama and get paid $1 million to lose” business strategy collapses on itself
3 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:25 pm

Watching Kiffin and Leach coaching the SEC bottom feeders would have been fun.

0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:50 pm

Derwood wrote:We’re also going to see a lot of mid-level programs fold when their “travel to OSU or Alabama and get paid $1 million to lose” business strategy collapses on itself

This is the big impact. Your Central Michigans, Appalachian States and Troys of the world count on those games for like 1/3 of their total athletic budgets. They’re toast if other conferences follow suit. It’s totally taking advantage of the situation to save a buck anyway. You can’t tell me Southern Miss traveling to Auburn is less safe than Rutgers at Nebraska or Missouri at Florida. Travel is travel.

But yeah, Andy, I’m starting to believe there will not be a season.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:49 am

Derwood wrote:
Andy wrote:There won't be a CFB season. I know no one is going to admit that until they have to, but it's a little frustrating to see it go away bit by bit like Marty McFly's family photo.

Well if all the conferences go conference-only, Notre Dane will just scrimmage itself 12 times

ACC has already said they'll accommodate ND, not that it matters much
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:38 am

Just move it all to the spring and hope for the best. Hope people stop being stupid. Hope the election brings a leader(s) with an actual plan for stopping things. Hope for strides in a vaccine. All fall sports, all levels (football mainly for the sake of the thread). NFL pushed back too, so can accommodate by moving combine, draft, etc. Would be rough to end a football season in late spring and start a new one in late summer, but for college, can move the start back a month and cut out all the off time in December. Maybe even cut this and next season down to make scheduling easier and so kids can still have off for a finals week or whatever.

And I understand athletic budgets and so forth, especially for small schools that count on the beatdown game for big money, but I find it hard to believe an athletic program can go under missing 1 season of football when they are charging 20-30K tuition a year.
1 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:29 pm

We all know what college football games are like, nobody can tell me you can make that environment safe. Whether it’s drunken fans crawling over each other to get in/out of their seats, to jumping around and screaming when something good happens, to the parties before & after the game (the reality is these will happen regardless of rules). It’ll be fertile territory for the virus.

Plus, selfishly, I don’t get the donation portion of my season tix back - just the face value. I’d rather have all the scheduled games to get the most value per dollar.

Moving it to Spring offers a potentially safer environment and better financials for both fans and the schools. Seems like an obvious move to me.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:24 pm

Soul wrote:Moving it to Spring offers a potentially safer environment and better financials for both fans and the schools. Seems like an obvious move to me.

I believe the issue with spring is the concern that it won't be very healthy for players to finish a season in spring and then start another in the fall. Otherwise hell yes, spring football would definitely be better (in the south at least) from a weather perspective. The first half of the football season is miserably hot down here.

I'm in the same boat, I'm not getting the donation back regardless, but they haven't told us what is going on with tickets yet. I've heard from the Ole Miss AD that if the stadium is under half capacity then they just wont' have any fans at all because they'd be losing money at that point due to having to pay concessions workers, etc. They did say that if they do a low-capacity we can have the option to just roll over our season tix purchase until next season (obviously)
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:43 pm

Our school (Division III) just canceled all intercollegiate sports through 12/31.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:30 am

Andy wrote:
Derwood wrote:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... notre-dame

Fun fact, ND could win the ACC championship and go to the Orange Bowl as the ACC rep even thought they're "independent"

Can we stop this charade?
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:15 pm

Derwood wrote:
Andy wrote:
Derwood wrote:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... notre-dame

Fun fact, ND could win the ACC championship and go to the Orange Bowl as the ACC rep even thought they're "independent"

Can we stop this charade?

College football fans' intense focus on the status of ND's independence amidst a season that won't happen anyway continues to amuse me.

Anyway, ND hasn't been truly independent since joining the ACC (and they are in the ACC, which is why the conference is doing this). They play 5 ACC games a year (on average), which are picked by the conference. They trade the other 3 (and any shot at a conference title) for USC, Stanford and Navy. Two of those 3 were ranked in 2019's final CFP rankings. Two of the entire ACC was ranked. As far as schedule strength, this is a non-issue. ACC football teams also make significantly more media-rights money (like $8M per year) than Notre Dame does, so financially, this is a non-issue. It's only an issue for those who demand conformity for some reason.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:26 pm

People are only hung up on it because ND continues to want to operate under different rules than everyone else, and the system continues to capitulate to them rather than tell them to pound sand.

And ND fans continue to pretend to not understand the problem
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:53 pm

Derwood wrote:People are only hung up on it because ND continues to want to operate under different rules than everyone else, and the system continues to capitulate to them rather than tell them to pound sand.

"Everyone else" made their own rules. No one consulted ND on whether to join conferences en masse in the 80s and 90s for TV money (ironic considering the common complaints about ND) and add $40 million conference championship games, and change the rules for who could have conference championship games as the Big 12 did. Nor should they have, because it was none of their business, just like it's none of the conferences' business what ND does. And "the system" "capitulates" because ND makes everyone a lot more money when they "capitulate".
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:11 pm

Andy wrote:
Derwood wrote:People are only hung up on it because ND continues to want to operate under different rules than everyone else, and the system continues to capitulate to them rather than tell them to pound sand.

"Everyone else" made their own rules. No one consulted ND on whether to join conferences en masse in the 80s and 90s for TV money (ironic considering the common complaints about ND) and add $40 million conference championship games, and change the rules for who could have conference championship games as the Big 12 did. Nor should they have, because it was none of their business, just like it's none of the conferences' business what ND does. And "the system" "capitulates" because ND makes everyone a lot more money when they "capitulate".

This is a steamy post.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:55 pm

Powerful entity gets favorable treatment
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 pm

0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:26 pm

OleMissCub wrote:https://twitter.com/rossdellenger/status/1288930430515908612?s=21

The B1G is apparently set to announce tomorrow that it will begin play on the normally scheduled Week 1, so as of now, the Power 5 conferences have 5 different opening weekends - B1G week 1, Big 12 week 0, ACC week 2, SEC week 4, Pac-12 week 5.

This sport is so ridiculous.
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:46 pm

OleMissCub wrote:https://twitter.com/rossdellenger/status/1288930430515908612?s=21

Word has it the two conference game additions to the scheduled will be the next two inter-division opponents that were due up for each team. LSU will add Kentucky and Tennessee as they were set to play in two years.

A little surprised that they’re not doing the conference +1 schedule, allowing Georgia to play Georgia Tech, Clemson to play South Carolina, UF vs FSU, etc.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:23 pm

NOLA wrote:

Word has it the two conference game additions to the scheduled will be the next two inter-division opponents that were due up for each team. LSU will add Kentucky and Tennessee as they were set to play in two years.

A little surprised that they’re not doing the conference +1 schedule, allowing Georgia to play Georgia Tech, Clemson to play South Carolina, UF vs FSU, etc.

Ole Miss is playing Kentucky and Tennessee and MS State is playing Vanderbilt and Georgia. Not sure about the other matchups.
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:53 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
NOLA wrote:

Ole Miss is playing Kentucky and Tennessee and MS State is playing Vanderbilt and Georgia. Not sure about the other matchups.

Nice draw. Arkansas gets Georgia and Tennessee.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:56 pm

Connecticut cancelled their football season.

Also:
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:50 pm

Pretty picture for those who do not subscribe.

0 x

Return to “Other Sports”