College football hindsight season

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: College football hindsight season

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:14 am

NonProfitCow wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Suggesting players are safer under the care of the people who control college football is next level stupidity.

Doubling down, eh? Who is safer:

Student A: tested 4 times a week and is around actual doctors every single day of the week. If he tests positive he is placed under strict monitored quarantine by the school for 14 days.

Student B: 0 tests ever. Only sees a doctor every few months to get their adderall refilled. Goes to the bars at night. Never wears his mask because Covid is a hoax. If he feels sick it’s not Covid, it’s just a cold. Goes to the bars.

You’re so right, it’s definitely Student B.

You seem to have left out lots of other possible student scenarios for some reason.

Are there any other scenarios where students are tested 4 times a week, have daily access to multiple doctors, and if they test positive have an authority that forces them to quarantine and oversees that they strictly comply with that quarantine?

Honest to Christ, I’m very curious to know what agenda you people have that is making you fight this obvious truth so vociferously.

An average college football player is far safer from Covid than the average college student. Period.
Last edited by OleMissCub on Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

NonProfitCow
5-Time All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:16 am

OleMissCub wrote:Are there any other scenarios where students are tested 4 times a day, have daily access to multiple doctors, and if they test positive have an authority that forces them to quarantine and oversees that they strictly comply with that quarantine?

Honest to Christ, I’m very curious to know what agenda you people have that is making you fight this obvious truth so vociferously.

An average college football player is far safer from Covid than the average college student. Period.

So how about giving them that same treatment but not make them travel all over the country to play football one year during a pandemic?
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:21 am

NonProfitCow wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:Are there any other scenarios where students are tested 4 times a day, have daily access to multiple doctors, and if they test positive have an authority that forces them to quarantine and oversees that they strictly comply with that quarantine?

So how about giving them that same treatment but not make them travel all over the country to play football one year during a pandemic?

Because they want to play and if they don’t want to they can opt out and maintain a year of eligibility. These aren’t toddlers, they’re adults. Stop treating them like children. They can make their own choices. If they feel safer being in the football bubble and they want to be there anyways, then so what?
0 x

Janelle-Alexis
Role Player

Postby Janelle-Alexis » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:47 am

OleMissCub wrote:Way to miss the point fella.

Was your point that college football is safe? Because otherwise I don't care.

Saying it's "safer" than other aspects of campus life is just a way to feel okay about 19-year-olds being put at risk for your entertainment. If you were actually interested in student safety, you would be this passionate about about closing campuses and athletic departments altogether.
1 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:50 am

Imagine the argument if UMiss was actually good at football
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:35 pm

The concept of more testing is more valuable than actually not putting a person in harm's way (simply for greed) is amazing. This doesn't even include the premise that every college student is too stupid or stubborn to follow simple guidelines.

If I was to start a relationship with someone and they said "I often get tested for STDs", I don't think I would feel safer nor are they making great choices.
1 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:02 pm

Today I learned from this thread that College football is every bit as important as going to college for an education. The average college student smokes bongs, has orgies and spreads the virus like wildfire.

What a bunch of hot garbage, while true in some football programs the environment might be safer at the end of the day it's just a horsefeathering game a NON NECESSITY. One year of no college football Saturdays is not the end of the world.
1 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:22 pm

Brian707 wrote:Today I learned from this thread that College football is every bit as important as going to college for an education. The average college student smokes bongs, has orgies and spreads the virus like wildfire.

Ok, take out the hyperbole about bongs and sex. Explain to me how a football player living in a regimented bubble who is tested 4 horsefeathering times a week and has instant daily access to medical doctors is less safe than Brian Jones, the pre-med major at State University, who hangs out with his girlfriend at his apartment and occasionally goes over to his friends house to hang out. If Brian Jones and the football player are both asymptomatic carriers guess which one is going to be discovered and placed in scrutinized quarantine?

Some truly smug and self-righteous takes in this thread. These dudes are FAR more likely to suffer long term physical damage or even freaking death just by playing the sport itself than they are from the effects of Covid. Does your "it's just a horsefeathering game" take extend to the game of football itself?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:50 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Explain to me how a football player living in a regimented bubble who is tested 4 horsefeathering times a week and has instant daily access to medical doctors is less safe than Brian Jones, the pre-med major at State University, who hangs out with his girlfriend at his apartment and occasionally goes over to his friends house to hang out. If Brian Jones and the football player are both asymptomatic carriers guess which one is going to be discovered and placed in scrutinized quarantine?

The football player being required to meet, practice, travel, and play in close quarters with a group of ~100 people is at significantly higher risk of getting sick. Just to put a number to it, in Lafayette County, MS there's a 97% chance a group of 100 people has a covid-positive individual. Brian Jones hanging out even in a group as big as 10 people is down to 30%. https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/ These are averages and testing helps, but the lack of an actual bubble environment means the realities still exist even if they might be able to help prevent runaway spread.

OleMissCub wrote:Does your "it's just a horsefeathering game" take extend to the game of football itself?

Absolutely, football should go the way of boxing.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:52 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:Explain to me how a football player living in a regimented bubble who is tested 4 horsefeathering times a week and has instant daily access to medical doctors is less safe than Brian Jones, the pre-med major at State University, who hangs out with his girlfriend at his apartment and occasionally goes over to his friends house to hang out. If Brian Jones and the football player are both asymptomatic carriers guess which one is going to be discovered and placed in scrutinized quarantine?

The football player being required to meet, practice, travel, and play in close quarters with a group of ~100 people is at significantly higher risk of getting sick. Just to put a number to it, in Lafayette County, MS there's a 97% chance a group of 100 people has a covid-positive individual. Brian Jones hanging out even in a group as big as 10 people is down to 30%. https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/ These are averages and testing helps, but the lack of an actual bubble environment means the realities still exist even if they might be able to help prevent runaway spread.

OleMissCub wrote:Does your "it's just a horsefeathering game" take extend to the game of football itself?

Absolutely, football should go the way of boxing.

Thank you for the thoughtful rebuttal.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:11 pm

The world could decide tomorrow that football is never played again, and I would forget about it within a couple days. I can find enough reasons to hang out with a bunch of dudes, eating and drinking way too much.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:39 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:The world could decide tomorrow that football is never played again, and I would forget about it within a couple days. I can find enough reasons to hang out with a bunch of dudes, eating and drinking way too much.

But how many of those other reasons would allow me to harken back to my glory days as a 17 year old on the gridiron?

2 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:53 pm

Uncle Rico back in 82 was the horsefeathers
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:56 pm

ECU's football team is now paused/shut down indefinitely after 10 players reported positive.

To the point of some of the earlier conversation about Football coaches being neanderthals, NC State's coach said he was more worried about hamstring pulls and heat exhaustion than he was about COVID. He said this publicly during an on-air interview.

These schools are doing this for money (and my job depends on said money), but don't think it's about the player (or student population in general) safety. It's always, always, always about money.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:17 pm

OMC is weirdly conflating "frequent testing" with "safe". Sure, the players might know more quickly if they are positive, but if your starting LB is tested four times a week and on the fourth test is positive, that means that he has very likely already spread the virus to many of his teammates.

So sure, now you know he's sick, but that hasn't made his teammates any safer
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:48 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Suggesting players are safer under the care of the people who control college football is next level stupidity.

Doubling down, eh? Who is safer:

Student A: tested 4 times a week and is around actual doctors every single day of the week. If he tests positive he is placed under strict monitored quarantine by the school for 14 days.

Student B: 0 tests ever. Only sees a doctor every few months to get their adderall refilled. Goes to the bars at night. Never wears his mask because Covid is a hoax. If he feels sick it’s not Covid, it’s just a cold. Goes to the bars.

You’re so right, it’s definitely Student B.

Holy false choices, batman
0 x
Spoiler: show

NonProfitCow
5-Time All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:29 am

I wonder if it was caused by Student A or Student B?
1 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:00 pm

It's the clear disdain of college students coupled with the 'play a game for me to watch (for free!)' that really gets me.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:11 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1298051006887010304

I wonder if it was caused by Student A or Student B?

Just out of curiosity, do we know what the positivity rates are at these campuses?

I'm eager to see how U of I does with their seemingly aggressive testing/tracing plan.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:41 pm

move along nothing to see here gif

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:10 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:move along nothing to see here gif

Good thing those kids get 4 tests a week
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:28 pm

Derwood wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:move along nothing to see here gif

Good thing those kids get 4 tests a week

Indeed, because otherwise, being healthy young people, they might not have ever known they had it and would have spread to it many other people. Glad we’re on the same page.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:21 am

Except they probably have spread it to many more people, so...
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:35 am

Derwood wrote:Except they probably have spread it to many more people, so...

Well then it’s a good thing they weren’t walking around for two weeks with it, but at most two or three days.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”