Week 2: NY Giants @ Chicago BEARS Home Opener

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Week 2: NY Giants @ Chicago BEARS Home Opener

Postby rawaction » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:27 pm

Bears coming off a miracle comeback. Giants coming off a bad loss where they could neither run or pass block against an elite defense and traveling on short rest.

Before the season, I thought that even if the Bears were a good team this year, they'd probably only still be 3-1 after the first four weeks which are winnable games on paper. That being said, if the Bears fancy themselves as contenders they had better win this game. The Bears won't hold Barkley to 6 yards on 15 carries. Their run D isn't as good as the Steelers without Goldman. The Giants do have some guys that can give the Bears trouble in coverage (Engram, Slayton, and they always have trouble with Golden Tate). But Daniel Jones is likely to give the Bears the ball at least a couple times. And their defense wasn't able to stop the Steelers run game (with a backup RB and 2 backup linemen), pass game, and weren't able to get off the field on 3rd down.

If Mitch plays like he did last time, sure they can probably make another 4th quarter comeback and win, but they probably shouldn't. Same game plan as week 1. Stick to the run. Easy reads for Mitch early and hope he can hit some throws before the 2-minute drill. The Giants shouldn't be capable of getting a 23-6 lead like the Lions did, so they shouldn't have to count on Mitch needing to make big throws for 10+ minutes straight.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Re: Week 2: NY Giants @ Chicago BEARS Home Opener

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:58 pm

Yea, the offense seems like it has a game plan, it's just going to come down to consistency or lack there of each week. Hope Kmet can get involved, but that's a minor thing.

Defense they need to figure some things out. Hopefully Quinn is back soon, but they need to figure out some other things. Danny T did not look like a starting player, let alone a 3 down LB. I'm assuming he's still the primary D play caller, but based on Sunday, they need to hand those reigns over to Eddie Jackson or Roquan Smith and make Trevathan a part time player. They could experiment in the nickle with 3 down looks, or Pagano apparently used a lot of 3 S looks in the past which he hasn't really done yet in Chicago. Maybe see if Iggy or Woods have anything to offer in sub packages too. Mingo spent some time inside in Seattle I think too, if Quinn is back maybe he can play ILB in the sub.

Run D, are there any FAs who might shore up the NT spot? I like all our DEs, but making them slide into the NT seems like it's gonna be bad for the run D all year. Or see what Jenkins can do.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:06 pm

Right now I hate that we are going to win this game and be on our way to saving Pace’s job with another 8-8 season.

But if they actually do win and are 2-0 I’ll probably jump on the hype train just because it’s fun
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:07 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Right now I hate that we are going to win this game and be on our way to saving Pace’s job with another 8-8 season.

But if they actually do win and are 2-0 I’ll probably jump on the hype train just because it’s fun

Don't jump on the hype train. Just watch and enjoy the good plays and know even if they fluke into a 10-11 win season they'll ll blow their divisional playoff game, hopefully just not with a double doink.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:12 pm

In fun Bears news:

- Allen Robinson has deleted all his Bears related photos on Instagram and taken "Bears" out of his Twitter bio. This was last done by Jordan Howard right before being traded.

- There are whispers (ok, 1 small whisper from some dude) that is saying there is a more than 0% chance that Robert Quinn doesn't play this year. Not sure if it's about the ankle injury or if it's COVID related (apparently, he survived a brain tumor in high school where they told him he had a week to live and would never play football again).
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:20 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Yea, the offense seems like it has a game plan, it's just going to come down to consistency or lack there of each week. Hope Kmet can get involved, but that's a minor thing.

Defense they need to figure some things out. Hopefully Quinn is back soon, but they need to figure out some other things. Danny T did not look like a starting player, let alone a 3 down LB. I'm assuming he's still the primary D play caller, but based on Sunday, they need to hand those reigns over to Eddie Jackson or Roquan Smith and make Trevathan a part time player. They could experiment in the nickle with 3 down looks, or Pagano apparently used a lot of 3 S looks in the past which he hasn't really done yet in Chicago. Maybe see if Iggy or Woods have anything to offer in sub packages too. Mingo spent some time inside in Seattle I think too, if Quinn is back maybe he can play ILB in the sub.

Run D, are there any FAs who might shore up the NT spot? I like all our DEs, but making them slide into the NT seems like it's gonna be bad for the run D all year. Or see what Jenkins can do.

Snacks Harrison is the biggest name out there, but there are others. Big DTs though are the most likely to opt out. Still unsure if Harrison even wants to play. Jenkins did play and didn't offer much on Sunday.

Unfortunately, I think the Bears have too much loyalty to Trevathan to make him a part time player. He'll have to get hurt to get removed from the field. Iggy definitely projects as a pass coverage LB, but undersized against the run. I'd love to see him get some 3rd down reps. Mingo isn't much of a pass rusher, but I did like the way he moved Sunday. Definitely an option inside if Trevathan isn't there.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:30 pm

rawaction wrote:In fun Bears news:

- Allen Robinson has deleted all his Bears related photos on Instagram and taken "Bears" out of his Twitter bio. This was last done by Jordan Howard right before being traded.
).

think they can get a 4th?
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:36 pm

- There are whispers (ok, 1 small whisper from some dude) that is saying there is a more than 0% chance that Robert Quinn doesn't play this year. Not sure if it's about the ankle injury or if it's COVID related (apparently, he survived a brain tumor in high school where they told him he had a week to live and would never play football again).

jordan howard also did it before not being traded too, just saying.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:38 pm

1 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:42 pm

David wrote:

jordan howard also did it before not being traded too, just saying.

Julio Jones did it a couple years ago. I believe Giannis just did it last week.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:44 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

).

think they can get a 4th?

Honestly, that's probably the most for an impending FA that will require close, if not over, 20Mil/year to re-sign.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:12 pm

Doesn't surprise me at all. Dude has been tweeting really cryptic quotes for the last month. Presumably related to a lack of extension.

But at the same time, while some athletes do this to force a trade it is also the go-to move for trying to gain leverage in contact talks
0 x
Win it for Fred

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:23 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

Doesn't surprise me at all. Dude has been tweeting really cryptic quotes for the last month. Presumably related to a lack of extension.

But at the same time, while some athletes do this to force a trade it is also the go-to move for trying to gain leverage in contact talks

Yea, I doubt its for a trade. Definitely seems like it would be more extension related. I know Pace has signed a lot of pre-season extensions the past few years... not sure if he's done any once the season kicks off though.

I say extend him. The new TV deal is coming and whatever extension he signs now would probably be immediately a 20% discount when new TV money comes in.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:30 pm

Didnt see PFF grades posted. Oof Trevathan. Jaylen Johnson's numbers back up what we saw on the eye test.

But at the same time, hell yeah Anthony Miller and David Montgomery. Very impressive

0 x
Win it for Fred

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:33 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Didnt see PFF grades posted. Oof Trevathan. Jaylen Johnson's numbers back up what we saw on the eye test.

But at the same time, hell yeah Anthony Miller and David Montgomery. Very impressive

Wow, Massie graded pretty well too. I remember one big pass rush whiff, but the run game doing well probably meant he did his job there.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:23 pm

Fwiw
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:31 pm

and

1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:35 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Right now I hate that we are going to win this game and be on our way to saving Pace’s job with another 8-8 season.

Don't jump on the hype train. Just watch and enjoy the good plays and know even if they fluke into a 10-11 win season they'll ll blow their divisional playoff game, hopefully just not with a double doink.

horsefeathers that man CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!

j/k, being 2-0 against the Lions and Giants would be nice, but we all know 8-8 is where we are headed
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:39 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TarikCohen/status/1305908976501100544?s=19[/tweet]

They did back in 2018. Packers have him thru the 2023 season...unless they extend him again.

Last edited by PackLandVA on Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
1 x
Sticks the landing!!!

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:41 pm

Robinson by DVOA and DYAR:

2019 - 26th, 45th
2018 - 47th, 52nd
2017 - Not ranked, injured?
2016 - 73rd, 74th
2015 - 8th, 16th

I don't think that's the be all end all, but also wouldn't be in a rush to extend him
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:45 pm

yes he tore his ACL in the first game of '17
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:48 pm

Oh god what if Trubisky actually does keep his job all year and plays as a below average but legit starter and we have to extend him.

I’m scared
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:49 pm

I mean really the only reason to extend them is if you always planned to blow it up in 2021, knowing 2018-2020 was the prime window when you made the Mack trade. Their cap is a mess for 2021, but gets a bit more flexibility in 2022. Ideal mini-reset time (complete with a new QB drafted in 2021). With that plan, you'd be trying to pocket some 2022 comp picks, perhaps as high of a 3 with ARob.

I doubt that's Pace's plan though.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Oh god what if Trubisky actually does keep his job all year and plays as a below average but legit starter and we have to extend him.

I’m scared

Let the Browns sign him and get the comp pick. Draft a QB.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:53 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Oh god what if Trubisky actually does keep his job all year and plays as a below average but legit starter and we have to extend him.

I’m scared

Let the Browns sign him and get the comp pick. Draft a QB.

OR tank the season, give him to the Lions and draft Lawrence
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”