Week 2: NY Giants @ Chicago BEARS Home Opener

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Week 2: NY Giants @ Chicago BEARS Home Opener

Postby David » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:54 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Oh god what if Trubisky actually does keep his job all year and plays as a below average but legit starter and we have to extend him.

I’m scared

i said it elsewhere, not sure if i said it here, but if he goes back to playing like 2018 mitch (much better than 2019 but not very good), that is not a fun spot to be in.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:01 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Oh god what if Trubisky actually does keep his job all year and plays as a below average but legit starter and we have to extend him.

I’m scared

Let the Browns sign him and get the comp pick. Draft a QB.

OR tank the season, give him to the Lions and draft Lawrence

The Bears have proven they can't out-tank the Lions. Lawrence dream is dead (unless we can flip Mack for a first still and use that with our mid-round first and 2022 first for a RGIII like Trade-up).

Maybe Justin Fields is the realistic dream. Feels like there's been a lot of investment in high end QBs the past few years, so hopefully that dampens the market as teams like the Jets or whatever are still deciding on their investments.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:06 pm

With Mack’s lower production and contract, I think you’d be lucky to get a third for him. Plus the accelerated dead cap hit would destroy you.

I still think we can out-tank the lions but it would take some luck. That was a 50/50 game with two bad teams
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:12 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:With Mack’s lower production and contract, I think you’d be lucky to get a third for him. Plus the accelerated dead cap hit would destroy you.

I still think we can out-tank the lions but it would take some luck. That was a 50/50 game with two bad teams

It would take more than luck. It would take a commitment from the team.

Plus you still gotta outtank the Browns too.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:19 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Let the Browns sign him and get the comp pick. Draft a QB.

The Bears have proven they can't out-tank the Lions. Lawrence dream is dead (unless we can flip Mack for a first still and use that with our mid-round first and 2022 first for a RGIII like Trade-up).

Maybe Justin Fields is the realistic dream. Feels like there's been a lot of investment in high end QBs the past few years, so hopefully that dampens the market as teams like the Jets or whatever are still deciding on their investments.

Justin Fields is awesome.

But looking around the league....

Have Franchise QB: BAL, HOU, TEN, KC, PHI, DAL?, MIN, GB, DET?, ATL, SF?, SEA, ARZ, LAR

Recently drafted promising QB: MIA, BUF, CIN, DEN, LAC, WAS, NYG, GB,

Probably needs a long-term QB: NYJ, CLE, PIT, JAX, LVR, NO, TB, CAR,

Definitely need long-term QB: NE, IND, CHI

Not a lot of sure fire QB needy teams. Dallas could join the QB needy, but that would likely take off one of the others. Jets, Browns, Jags have QBs on 15-game auditions and they will all either go down to absolutely need a QB or up to promising QB depending on results. Maybe throw Washington, NYG and Denver here, but I doubt they go QB very early. Detroit SHOULD probably see what they can get for Stafford and start over, but remains to be seen if they will. Teams like NO and TB have HOF QBs on short deals, could draft an heir. Carolina has big money in Bridgewater, but could conceivably move on.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:27 pm

rawaction wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Justin Fields is awesome.

But looking around the league....

Have Franchise QB: BAL, HOU, TEN, KC, PHI, DAL?, MIN, GB, DET?, ATL, SF?, SEA, ARZ, LAR

Recently drafted promising QB: MIA, BUF, CIN, DEN, LAC, WAS, NYG, GB,

Probably needs a long-term QB: NYJ, CLE, PIT, JAX, LVR, NO, TB, CAR,

Definitely need long-term QB: NE, IND, CHI

Not a lot of sure fire QB needy teams. Dallas could join the QB needy, but that would likely take off one of the others. Jets, Browns, Jags have QBs on 15-game auditions and they will all either go down to absolutely need a QB or up to promising QB depending on results. Maybe throw Washington, NYG and Denver here, but I doubt they go QB very early. Detroit SHOULD probably see what they can get for Stafford and start over, but remains to be seen if they will. Teams like NO and TB have HOF QBs on short deals, could draft an heir. Carolina has big money in Bridgewater, but could conceivably move on.

That's a good list, but you're also only needing to compete in the top half of the draft, generally. And several of those needy teams will have lower picks and would need to agree to part with multiple first round picks during a competitive window to acquire a QB for a couple years away. I could see CLE, CHI, CAR being the main lower teir teams. DET is a possibility (I think they'd draft Lawrence if they finish 1st (as would many borderline teams), I'm not sure they accelerate Stafford out to move up in a Lawrence or Fields battle.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:.....The Bears have proven they can't out-tank the Lions........

nah, the Bears haven't proven anything yet
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:50 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:.....The Bears have proven they can't out-tank the Lions........

Okay, how about, "the Lions have proven they can't be out-tanked"
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:56 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

..again...its too early in the season to say that when teams like Chicago, Cleveland and Atlanta are out there
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:05 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

..again...its too early in the season to say that when teams like Chicago, Cleveland and Atlanta are out there

Your optimism/pessimism (depending on perspective) is admirable.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:10 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

The Bears have always failed to tank, it is one of their greatest abilities. They are the most 7-9 organization in the league. They aren't Cleveland. They aren't Detroit. The Bear have fielded many flawed teams, have lost many games and wasted plenty of seasons, but they are incapable of finishing the job.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:11 pm

David wrote:

I’m scared

i said it elsewhere, not sure if i said it here, but if he goes back to playing like 2018 mitch (much better than 2019 but not very good), that is not a fun spot to be in.

I do not believe that's going to happen, for 3/4 of game on Sunday we saw the 2019 version, he just flat out sucks. There's a good chance he's soon benched, by now, Nagy has to know he's terrible, I can't imagine the leash on Trubisky being very long.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:17 pm

gflore34 wrote:
David wrote:

I’m scared

I do not believe that's going to happen, for 3/4 of game on Sunday we saw the 2019 version, he just flat out sucks. There's a good chance he's soon benched, by now, Nagy has to know he's terrible, I can't imagine the leash on Trubisky being very long.

I don't think it will be soon.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:21 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Okay, how about, "the Lions have proven they can't be out-tanked"

The Bears have always failed to tank, it is one of their greatest abilities. They are the most 7-9 organization in the league. They aren't Cleveland. They aren't Detroit. The Bear have fielded many flawed teams, have lost many games and wasted plenty of seasons, but they are incapable of finishing the job.

<<looks up the 2015 & 2016 & 2017 season standings>> I do disagree sir!
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:21 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Okay, how about, "the Lions have proven they can't be out-tanked"

They nearly did the year Bellamy was tank commander and dropped two winning passes in one game. That's what led to Trubisky, right?
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:22 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
gflore34 wrote:
David wrote:

I don't think it will be soon.

it wont be. his 4th quarter will keep Nagy on the Trubisky train. He probably bought at least 2 more starts with that quarter
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:24 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

They nearly did the year Bellamy was tank commander and dropped two winning passes in one game. That's what led to Trubisky, right?

If they were capable of tanking they would have been able to draft Trubisky 1st overall without trading up.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:26 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:The Bears have always failed to tank, it is one of their greatest abilities. They are the most 7-9 organization in the league. They aren't Cleveland. They aren't Detroit. The Bear have fielded many flawed teams, have lost many games and wasted plenty of seasons, but they are incapable of finishing the job.

If they were capable of tanking they would have been able to draft Trubisky 1st overall without trading up.

don't mistake Pace's ineptitude for the teams ability to tank just the right amount; they didn't need to be 1st overall to draft him, they just needed to sit and let him fall to them at #3. Instead............
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 pm

So. Well. A-Rob has demanded a trade.

I’m team “lol doom” but that’s crazy even for me
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:22 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:So. Well. A-Rob has demanded a trade.

I’m team “lol doom” but that’s crazy even for me

It's gonna be tough for the Bears to be in selling mode by October 29th trade deadline. Already behind the 8 ball at 1-0. Can 2-5 get them there or are they gonna have to roll off 6 straight losses?
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:35 pm

and you guys didnt think the Bears could tank

lol
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:48 pm

The Bears should feel free to send any of these players to the Jets if tanking:

Mack - ASAP preferred
Robinson
Miller
Daniels
Whitehair?
Smith
J. Johnson
Jackson

I know I know...exiting now
1 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:49 am

Bears can't even afford to tank. Nobody wants the contracts for Mack, Quinn, and Trevathan and the Bears can't get out of those deals in the offseason. Not to mention Goldman comes back next year in the same boat. Jackson and Whitehair are good young pieces, but make a lot. Fuller could save 11Mil if cut this offseason, but still would have 9Mil dead, which means probably a restructure candidate. Hell, even Foles isn't a good financial cut/trade candidate. Guys like Hicks, Massie, and Graham could be cut pretty easily but you'd still need draft picks to replace them.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:05 am

But also

1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:13 am

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1306066280936624128?s=19