Week 5: Bucs at Bears on Thursday Night (Fox, NFLN, Amazon Prime, Seeso, Quibi, Palm Pilot

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Week 5: Bucs at Bears on Thursday Night (Fox, NFLN, Amazon Prime, Seeso, Quibi, Palm Pilot

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:14 pm

Two 3-1 teams match up in front of nobody on every available television platform. The home team is a 5.5 point underdog after absolutely crapping the bed against the Colts. Chicago was a 2.5 point dog last week then went to 3.5 points, despite a lot of people picking Chicago to win that game outright. Obviously, they did not. And they never really threatened to win it either. The Bears were quite good hosts when you think of it that way, and they will probably be very good hosts this week, on short rest. Replacing Mitch so early in the season was a ballsy move that just might be ready to blow up in Nagy's face. Going 0-2 with Foles after winning with Mitch starting (not necessarily playing) has a chance to be the beginning of the end of Nagy's coaching tenure. Although I would argue the kicker obsession offseason was the real beginning of the end.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Re: Week 5: Bucs at Bears on Thursday Night (Fox, NFLN, Amazon Prime, Seeso, Quibi, Palm Pilot

Postby rawaction » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:16 pm

I don't hate this matchup for the Bears defense. They have historically done pretty well against Mike Evans. He's never had a catch over 20 yards against them, and that's been mostly against guys like Prince Amukamara and Kevin Toliver the last few times. OJ Howard is out, so their only TE threat is a guy with 50-year old knees. I actually like the Bears chance against Evans with Jaylon Johnson, who's been great so far. If Godwin is out, that's another less guy that the defense needs to worry about....although, their leading WR so far is a little white guy name Scotty Miller. And we know how Brady loves his little white guys. I'm not too worried about their run game. I'm sure they'll have their moments just like every other team has, but the Bears D was much better vs. the Colts run game.

Unfortunately, I do hate this matchup for the Bears offense. The Bears need to have some sort of run game, and are facing an even better run D than last week. They are big in the middle, fast at the LB level, athletic on the edge. Against the pass, the Bucs have a couple good edge rushers with last year's sack leader Shaq Barrett and 3-finger Pierre-Paul. They have combined for 6 sacks, and Charles Leno got whooped all day Sunday by a lesser pass rusher than both. Bucs also have 4 sacks from their starting safeties, so they will blitz the immobile Foles consistently. Their CBs are young and getting better each week.

A high-scoring game favors the Bucs, because obviously scoring isn't the Bears strong suit. But a low scoring game also probably favors the 6-time championship winning QB. Not to sound all doom and gloom. TB hasn't really beat any great teams themselves. And the great equalizer is the short week with the long travel for the Bucs. That being said, the home team hasn't won either of the last 2 weeks including Denver picking up a win after traveling to New Jersey. Of course, the Bears are a better team than the Jags and Jets.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Week 5: Bucs at Bears on Thursday Night (Fox, NFLN, Amazon Prime, Seeso, Quibi, Palm Pilot

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:54 pm

Mike Davis, who received 11 carries for 25 yards in 7 games with the Bears last year, has 202 yards from scrimmage and 2 TDs in his 2 starts for the Panthers this year.
1 x
Win it for Fred

abohnhoff
Role Player

Postby abohnhoff » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:28 pm

Are these 2 statements overreactions or justified...

1. Nagy is not a very good coach
2. Montgomery is not a very good RB
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:17 pm

abohnhoff wrote:Are these 2 statements overreactions or justified...

Absolutely justified.

Nagy is definitely not VERY good. He might be good, and he might be able to become a VERY good coach. But he's not very good. His handling of the kicking situation was terrible and probably raised a lot of eyebrows of players.

Montgomery is quite serviceable and probably has another gear, but he's not very good either. Maybe he turns into something else on another team, but he's got 2 100 yard games in 20 games to start his career. He's a pass catching RB that has caught more than 2 in a game just 6 times. No, he hasn't had a great line and he has had to work with garbage QB play most of the time, but a very good RB should have been able to do more than he's done so far.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:30 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Absolutely justified.

Nagy is definitely not VERY good. He might be good, and he might be able to become a VERY good coach. But he's not very good. His handling of the kicking situation was terrible and probably raised a lot of eyebrows of players.

Montgomery is quite serviceable and probably has another gear, but he's not very good either. Maybe he turns into something else on another team, but he's got 2 100 yard games in 20 games to start his career. He's a pass catching RB that has caught more than 2 in a game just 6 times. No, he hasn't had a great line and he has had to work with garbage QB play most of the time, but a very good RB should have been able to do more than he's done so far.

I'm a big David Montgomery fan based on my draft prep work on him. But I can't argue with anything said here.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:30 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Absolutely justified.

I'm a big David Montgomery fan based on my draft prep work on him. But I can't argue with anything said here.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:52 am

0 x
Win it for Fred

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:29 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Absolutely justified.

I lean into the theory that Nagy has done a very good job of building culture and has show the ability to manage the locker room but his play calling and scheming doesn't seem to be there. Once the league had the chance to scout Nagy's offense, the scheme doesn't appear to get guys open like it did during the first few months of 2018 and Nagy has seemingly never been able to adjust.
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:39 pm

PFF grades from last week in?
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:26 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Mike Davis, who received 11 carries for 25 yards in 7 games with the Bears last year, has 202 yards from scrimmage and 2 TDs in his 2 starts for the Panthers this year.

That was an absolutely bizarre signing by the Bears.

Actually, not the signing itself, but the signing combined with the complete absence of any sort of idea of what to do with Davis. It was one of several transactions since Pace got here where the right hand (coaching staff) didn’t seem to know what the left hand (Pace) was doing.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:30 pm

champaignchris wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Mike Davis, who received 11 carries for 25 yards in 7 games with the Bears last year, has 202 yards from scrimmage and 2 TDs in his 2 starts for the Panthers this year.

Actually, not the signing itself, but the signing combined with the complete absence of any sort of idea of what to do with Davis. It was one of several transactions since Pace got here where the right hand (coaching staff) didn’t seem to know what the left hand (Pace) was doing.

I don't see it that way. Mike Davis was signed before they drafted Montgomery. I think DM impressed them in camp and preseason, and I think they had a plan for Davis, but Montgomery caused them to change those plans. Next thing you know, they realized they weren't using him very much and the deadline to cut him and regain a comp pick came up. And they figured the pick was worth more than Davis' 3-4 touches a game.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:11 pm

Chicago now a 3.5 dog. Who is putting their faith into this team?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:40 pm

rawaction wrote:
champaignchris wrote:

I don't see it that way. Mike Davis was signed before they drafted Montgomery. I think DM impressed them in camp and preseason, and I think they had a plan for Davis, but Montgomery caused them to change those plans. Next thing you know, they realized they weren't using him very much and the deadline to cut him and regain a comp pick came up. And they figured the pick was worth more than Davis' 3-4 touches a game.

man i would've never guessed the mike davis thing was just last year. feels like 5 years ago.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:33 pm

David wrote:
rawaction wrote:
champaignchris wrote:

man i would've never guessed the mike davis thing was just last year. feels like 5 years ago.

To be fair there has been a Mike Davis in the league every year for the past 37 years
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:59 pm

Brady 6-0 vs. the Bears and 7-0 on Thursday nights. Hopefully, Nick Foles is his Eli Manning like kryptonite.
2 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:04 am

rawaction wrote:Brady 6-0 vs. the Bears and 7-0 on Thursday nights. Hopefully, Nick Foles is his Eli Manning like kryptonite.

Brady hasn’t faced the Bears a ton but when he has, annoying losses follow

2002 - Bears blow 28-3 lead
2006 - Rex throws 5 INTs, Brady jukes Urlacher for game winning 1st down
2010 - Pats blow out the Bears by like 35 points in a blizzard
2014 - Pats put up 50+ on the Bears. Disappointing FA signing Lamarr Houston tears his ACL celebrating a sack with 2 mins left down 40
2018 - Mitch throws a Hail Mary that is caught at the 1 which would have tied the game if it was a TD
1 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:29 am

This is the vaunted Bears defense I heard about?
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Week 5: Bucs at Bears on Thursday Night (Fox, NFLN, Amazon Prime, Seeso, Quibi, Palm Pilot

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:29 am

UMFan83 wrote:
rawaction wrote:Brady 6-0 vs. the Bears and 7-0 on Thursday nights. Hopefully, Nick Foles is his Eli Manning like kryptonite.

Brady hasn’t faced the Bears a ton but when he has, annoying losses follow

2002 - Bears blow 28-3 lead
2006 - Rex throws 5 INTs, Brady jukes Urlacher for game winning 1st down
2010 - Pats blow out the Bears by like 35 points in a blizzard
2014 - Pats put up 50+ on the Bears. Disappointing FA signing Lamarr Houston tears his ACL celebrating a sack with 2 mins left down 40
2018 - Mitch throws a Hail Mary that is caught at the 1 which would have tied the game if it was a TD
The only catch of Kevin White's career that I can recall
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:39 am

Bring in Tyler Bray.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:39 am

Terrible effing throw
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:40 am

Derwood wrote:This is the vaunted Bears defense I heard about?

First and 20 converted in 2 plays when the first one started with a guy hit as he's getting the handoff. Can't happen
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:44 am

Tackled Jaylon away from his first INT. Of course, that's perfectly legal.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:44 am

That looked like OPI
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:49 am

That’s 3 ARob
0 x
Win it for Fred

Return to “Other Sports”