Week 6: Bears at Panthers, Sunday at noon on Fox

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Week 6: Bears at Panthers, Sunday at noon on Fox

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:56 pm

The Bears come back 10 days later with a nooner on Fox, and they are half way to their bye week with as good of a record as anybody could have hoped.

3 point underdogs on the road and going up against a QB that could have been their QB, which I feel like something that can be said for about 75% of the games this year. This season still feels like the next loss will trigger a spiral to the bottom the rest of the year, but I also wouldn't be surprised by a victory in any week. I feel stupid thinking that Foles just needs some more time in the system to really click with the receivers, but that would be nice if true. Could also use some more from Quinn and a continuation of Mack's big game.

Also I'm putting all my money on Robinson catching the next 50/50 ball since that is how gambling and the law of averages work.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Week 6: Bears at Panthers, Sunday at noon on Fox

Postby David » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:05 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:The Bears come back 10 days later with a nooner on Fox, and they are half way to their bye week with as good of a record as anybody could have hoped.

3 point underdogs on the road and going up against a QB that could have been their QB, which I feel like something that can be said for about 75% of the games this year. This season still feels like the next loss will trigger a spiral to the bottom the rest of the year, but I also wouldn't be surprised by a victory in any week. I feel stupid thinking that Foles just needs some more time in the system to really click with the receivers, but that would be nice if true. Could also use some more from Quinn and a continuation of Mack's big game.

Also I'm putting all my money on Robinson catching the next 50/50 ball since that is how gambling and the law of averages work.

to add to this, indianapolis and tampa bay have the top two defenses in the league by DVOA thus far. i think that's useful context.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats ... fense/2020
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:48 pm

I’m going down with the ship. I still think they kinda suck.
2 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:57 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I’m going down with the ship. I still think they kinda suck.

The 2-7* collapse will be epic

*I'm assuming at least a couple games end up canceled before this horsefeathers show season is all said and done.
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:05 pm

I’m still not convinced this is a good or even mediocre team. I think the Bears will be underdogs in each of their next four games, with the possibility of the Vikings getting their horsefeathers together enough to make them dogs in their next six straight games until they play the Lions again. I would be more surprised that they’re 7-4 when they play the Lions again than if they were 4-7.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:48 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I’m going down with the ship. I still think they kinda suck.

The Bears are the kings of good bad teams I guess:

1 x
Win it for Fred

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:33 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

Of note, every one of the top 10 "worst" 4-1 teams made the playoffs, and 1 made the Super Bowl (1998 Atlanta).
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:21 am

This was once a game you expected the Bears to win. But the Panthers have now won 3 games in a row without star, Christian McCaffery....who is eligible to come back this week, but no signs so far that he will. People expected a rebuilding team with a new coach, new QB, and loss of a potential HOF leader on defense. But their roster is really not that bad. They have a pair of electric WRs who can make big plays, a solid OL, a young defense with some developing players, and are led by a QB who, at his best, is similar to what we hope to get out of Foles.

This is a tough test for the defense. Mostly due to injuries, the Bears really haven't had to face a team with 2 legit threats at WR. DJ Moore is a tough matchup who can win anywhere on the field and is tough after the catch. Robby Anderson is a legit deep threat, who is turning into a good all around receiver. So both CBs will be busy and the safeties likely can't come down in the box very much due to the over-the-top threat. They also love to throw to the RBs, so Smith and Trevathan will need to be on their game in coverage. Luckily for the Bears, they don't have a threat at the TE position and their slot guy is mostly a gimmick player. The Panthers also run the ball well, and the Mike Davis revenge game factor has to be accounted for, I guess.

Defensively, the Panthers don't do much very well other than keep plays in front of them. They don't rush the passer all that well, though Brian Burns has a ton of speed and potential and will be facing Charles Leno. They can be run against almost at will. You can throw short and take deep shots when necessary. Just have to pick your spots and be patient against them. Be a good game to get the offense moving with a purpose. Mixing in Montgomery and Patterson with some quick passes. Like to see them try that shot to Mooney again, especially if he gets matched up against the much bigger (aka slower) Rasul Douglas.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:13 am

I would like the Bears to sign Le'Veon Bell
1 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:22 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:I would like the Bears to sign Le'Veon Bell

Same. Don’t know how successful he’d be running behind the Bears line especially with the Daniels injury but obviously be an upgrade over...whoever the Bears backup QB is (Patterson I guess?)
3 x
Win it for Fred

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:42 am

UMFan83 wrote:Same. Don’t know how successful he’d be running behind the Bears line especially with the Daniels injury but obviously be an upgrade over...whoever the Bears backup QB is (Patterson I guess?)

I think he's still a beast in the passing game and just got Jets'd. I imagine he easily upgrades the pass protection over Montgomery and Kmet, is a much more accomplished short game pass catcher than either, gives them some room to develop and the team some depth in the short and intermediate passing game, and frees up Robinson and Miller to work deeper maybe do TDs

The pass defense is still good enough that I think the Bears should show a little chutzpah, some cajones some varle some giant hoden some jadro some khasia some koko some faollik and try to salvage the offense with a low risk move
1 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:57 am

He’s 63 years old in RB years.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:59 am

If he goes to the Pats he’ll be good, anywhere else he will be completely washed and probably an issue to deal with in the locker room. That’s how this works.
2 x
Screw Pitchers

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:20 am

Cubswin11 wrote:If he goes to the Pats he’ll be good, anywhere else he will be completely washed and probably an issue to deal with in the locker room. That’s how this works.

This is the way.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:21 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:If he goes to the Pats he’ll be good, anywhere else he will be completely washed and probably an issue to deal with in the locker room. That’s how this works.

This is the way.

This is known, Jon Snow.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:52 am

Tim wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

This is the way.

This is known, John Snow.

No H
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:19 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Tim wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:This is the way.

This is known, John Snow.

No H

I don't know what you're talking about. Check my post again. :D
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:29 pm

bukie wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Of note, every one of the top 10 "worst" 4-1 teams made the playoffs, and 1 made the Super Bowl (1998 Atlanta).

I expect nothing less then a SB trip
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I would like the Bears to sign Le'Veon Bell

Topical - top teams for Bell
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:29 pm

His pass catching out of the backfield would be a nice fit to this roster for the money. Given the high chance of making the playoffs and a higher chance of an early exit, beefing up this lineup on both sides of the ball would be smart. I'd pick up Bell and then wait for the Bengals to cut loose AJ Green. And then they need to find some help at NT.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:55 am

Count me in on Team Le'Veon. The Kareem Hunt to Montgomery's Nick Chubb. Move Patterson back to a gimmick guy/wide receiver. I think Bell's patience works with this OL. I think at times, Montgomery has potentially given up a yard here and there by seeking out the cutback instead of waiting for the play-side hole to open up. Not a disaster if they don't pick him up, as Lamar Miller is also a solid back. But Bell is a good player. I want more good players.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:22 pm

Keep winning, dummies.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:50 pm

rawaction wrote:Count me in on Team Le'Veon. The Kareem Hunt to Montgomery's Nick Chubb. Move Patterson back to a gimmick guy/wide receiver. I think Bell's patience works with this OL. I think at times, Montgomery has potentially given up a yard here and there by seeking out the cutback instead of waiting for the play-side hole to open up. Not a disaster if they don't pick him up, as Lamar Miller is also a solid back. But Bell is a good player. I want more good players.

Sounds like it's between Buffalo, Miami and KC. My guess is Miami where he can be the featured back. It's also where he lives. He doesn't seem to appreciate sharing backfield duties.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:07 pm

BigbadB wrote:
rawaction wrote:Count me in on Team Le'Veon. The Kareem Hunt to Montgomery's Nick Chubb. Move Patterson back to a gimmick guy/wide receiver. I think Bell's patience works with this OL. I think at times, Montgomery has potentially given up a yard here and there by seeking out the cutback instead of waiting for the play-side hole to open up. Not a disaster if they don't pick him up, as Lamar Miller is also a solid back. But Bell is a good player. I want more good players.

Sounds like it's between Buffalo, Miami and KC. My guess is Miami where he can be the featured back. It's also where he lives. He doesn't seem to appreciate sharing backfield duties.

I think he is just horsefeathering around. Those 3 teams are the Jets next 3 opponents
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:05 pm

Awesome start
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”