Week 6: Bears at Panthers, Sunday at noon on Fox

gflore34
All-Star

Re: Week 6: Bears at Panthers, Sunday at noon on Fox

Postby gflore34 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:30 pm

rawaction wrote:It's funny because the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the Bears whole strategy for choosing the starting QB was "hey we play some bad defenses early, let's see if Mitch can do something". Would explain the short leash and getting Foles ready for the Indy, TB portion of the schedule. Because if you played Trubisky vs. the Colts, you would have to keep him in there vs TB because you couldn't get Foles ready in 3 days.

Makes sense, at times, as many have mentioned, the offense appears capable, then goes back to not capable, how much of a factor is Nagy' play calling and how much the QB? I'd say maybe 80 - 20, at times he takes his foot off the gas, why? Go for the kill, if you can score 40 on a team do it because, they, sure as horsefeathers, will dump 40 on your ass.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:32 pm

gflore34 wrote:
rawaction wrote:It's funny because the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the Bears whole strategy for choosing the starting QB was "hey we play some bad defenses early, let's see if Mitch can do something". Would explain the short leash and getting Foles ready for the Indy, TB portion of the schedule. Because if you played Trubisky vs. the Colts, you would have to keep him in there vs TB because you couldn't get Foles ready in 3 days.

Makes sense, at times, as many have mentioned, the offense appears capable, then goes back to not capable, how much of a factor is Nagy' play calling and how much the QB? I'd say maybe 80 - 20, at times he takes his foot off the gas, why? Go for the kill, if you can score 40 on a team do it because, they, sure as horsefeathers, will dump 40 on your ass.

I don't think there is an issue of the Bears being capable but unwilling to score 40 on a team.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:34 pm

gflore34 wrote:

I go back and forth on this. Right now, I honestly think it's just personnel and Nagy is getting as much blood out of the stone as he can. Who are the *good* players on the offense? Allen Robinson and ...? I guess Jimmy Graham?

David Montgomery is pretty average although I'm starting to doubt that tbh (he runs hard but isn't great at making reads and doesn't have the ability to break open plays), Mooney and Miller can be pretty average. The offensive line sucks, the RBs as a unit suck, and at the end of the day the only thing that really matters in this league: the QBs suck.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:46 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
gflore34 wrote:

I go back and forth on this. Right now, I honestly think it's just personnel and Nagy is getting as much blood out of the stone as he can. Who are the *good* players on the offense? Allen Robinson and ...? I guess Jimmy Graham?

David Montgomery is pretty average although I'm starting to doubt that tbh (he runs hard but isn't great at making reads and doesn't have the ability to break open plays), Mooney and Miller can be pretty average. The offensive line sucks, the RBs as a unit suck, and at the end of the day the only thing that really matters in this league: the QBs suck.

For whatever my amateur take is, I'm pretty high on Mooney right now. He's definitely at least average and I think he has #1 WR potential.
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:47 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/1318285459508858880?s=19

Telling though that the divisional round is where any team on that list tops out at as far as end of season results go.

That's got to be wrong, because that 1998 Falcons team ended up making the Super Bowl (they also improved their efficiency over the season).
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:50 pm

bukie wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/1318285459508858880?s=19

Telling though that the divisional round is where any team on that list tops out at as far as end of season results go.

That's got to be wrong, because that 1998 Falcons team ended up making the Super Bowl (they also improved their efficiency over the season).

Ah, I was reading as where they finished. That must be where they seeded to start the Playoffs.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:37 am

Regarding Montgomery, it may not be his fault. I picked this up from the Athletic tonight:

Per SportRadar, Montgomery is fourth in the NFL in broken tackles (17) and fourth in the percentage of yards gained after contact among backs with 40+ carries (59.7 percent).
0 x
Spoiler: show

Sosa21MVP
5-Time All-Star

Postby Sosa21MVP » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:46 am

Tim wrote:Regarding Montgomery, it may not be his fault. I picked this up from the Athletic tonight:

Per SportRadar, Montgomery is fourth in the NFL in broken tackles (17) and fourth in the percentage of yards gained after contact among backs with 40+ carries (59.7 percent).

Yeah I mean on most plays it looks like he is running straight into a brick wall before he even crosses the LOS.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:16 am

Or he's just kinda slow.
1 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:39 am

He also always, and I mean always, does a jump stop just before reaching the line of scrimmage, no matter what the play is.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:34 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
bukie wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Telling though that the divisional round is where any team on that list tops out at as far as end of season results go.

Ah, I was reading as where they finished. That must be where they seeded to start the Playoffs.

I think Atlanta was on the 4-1 list, but must’ve improved enough to be off the 5-1 list.
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:42 am

all of the following are true

1) Montgomery is behind a terrible run-blocking line and a mediocre at best passing attack so he doesn’t get much help

2) he’s very good at running hard into and through contact

3) he’s unimpressive or bad at pretty much everything else: choosing holes, making hard first cuts, inducing misses, breakaway acceleration

Edit:

Oh and 4) as always, running the ball doesn’t matter so who cares
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:25 pm

itisallpartoftheplan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
bukie wrote:That's got to be wrong, because that 1998 Falcons team ended up making the Super Bowl (they also improved their efficiency over the season).

I think Atlanta was on the 4-1 list, but must’ve improved enough to be off the 5-1 list.

They are 3rd from the top on that 5-1 list.
0 x

mias_tisg
Role Player

Postby mias_tisg » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:30 pm

Thought Foles played well despite the numbers, especially in the first half. The whole problem with Trubisky was the amount of 3 and outs the offense had under him last year. The defense was on the field for entire games and seemed to break down late in games. Foles was able to sustain drives and mostly keep the defense off the field. After the Rams game, the schedule starts to open up for the offense who have been on a tough stretch of great defenses faced.
0 x

itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:04 am

bukie wrote:
itisallpartoftheplan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Ah, I was reading as where they finished. That must be where they seeded to start the Playoffs.

They are 3rd from the top on that 5-1 list.

My bad, I could’ve sworn the last one said SB(I was obviated wrong) for them. So I didn’t even focus on them on the 5-1 list.
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

Return to “Other Sports”