NFL perpetual 2020 regular and postseason non Bears thread

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Re: NFL perpetual 2020 regular and postseason non Bears thread

Postby NOLA » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:44 pm

Taysom Hill OUT for the Saints today due to a sore knee. The odds that that Sean Payton calls some ridiculous flea flicker play action pass when the offense is already rolling just went down significantly.
2 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: NFL perpetual 2020 regular and postseason non Bears thread

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:04 pm

rawaction wrote:
Soul wrote:The AFC is pretty cool this year. New blood.
KC will likely be in the AFC title game 3rd year in a row. NFC had more "new" teams in the playoffs this year.

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

Perhaps he means the younger AFC QBs in the final 8 (Mahomes, Mayfield, Jackson, Allen) vs the old guys and the crappy guy in the NFC (Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Goff)? It’s all about the quarterback in the NFL anyway.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

NFL perpetual 2020 regular and postseason non Bears thread

Postby Soul » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:23 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:
rawaction wrote:
Soul wrote:The AFC is pretty cool this year. New blood.
KC will likely be in the AFC title game 3rd year in a row. NFC had more "new" teams in the playoffs this year.

Perhaps he means the younger AFC QBs in the final 8 (Mahomes, Mayfield, Jackson, Allen) vs the old guys and the crappy guy in the NFC (Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Goff)? It’s all about the quarterback in the NFL anyway.

Yeah, I think you nailed why it feels that way to me. I was just thinking how it is striking to see the Bills and Browns knocking on the door when a handful of years ago they were laughingstock franchises. Heck, it wasn’t so long ago that KC was just mediocre. Mahomes is still “new” to me. KC as a perennial contender still feels new. This is probably the last year for that though.

I wasn’t commenting on AFC vs NFC.

It wouldn’t bother me to never see Ben sniff another title game. A non-playoff Pats team is like the clouds parting giving way to sunshine, as far as I’m concerned. So this is much more fun to me than it’s been in a very long time.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:32 pm

Soul wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:
rawaction wrote:KC will likely be in the AFC title game 3rd year in a row. NFC had more "new" teams in the playoffs this year.

Yeah, I think you nailed why it feels that way to me. I was just thinking how it is striking to see the Bills and Browns knocking on the door when a handful of years ago they were laughingstock franchises. Heck, it wasn’t so long ago that KC was just mediocre. Mahomes is still “new” to me. KC as a perennial contender still feels new. This is probably the last year for that though.

It wouldn’t bother me to never see Ben sniff another title game. A non-playoff Pats team is like the clouds parting giving way to sunshine, as far as I’m concerned. So this is much more fun to me than it’s been in a very long time.

When the Pats trade for Watson they'll be back in it unfortunately
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:46 pm

Obviously the Pats run as we knew it is over. Not gonna luck into having a GOAT QB taking less money than he’s worth for over a decade. They’ll still be a playoff team more often than not if they get their hands on an average/above average QB, but it seems likely that they will be the 3rd best team in their division for the immediate future. Watson would be a bit of a game changer though. I just don’t see him being traded.

It’ll be interesting to see how long this KC run lasts. They are in some serious cap hell moving forward.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:04 pm

Soul wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:
rawaction wrote:KC will likely be in the AFC title game 3rd year in a row. NFC had more "new" teams in the playoffs this year.

I get what you're saying, but last year the AFC final 4 QBs were Mahomes, Watson, Tannehill, Jackson. The Ravens weren't really a new contender last year, but they were a completely different team from the Flacco years. Tennessee and Houston were both new contenders last year. KC has won 10+ games every year since 2013, except once they won 9. They've been really good for a while, though I'll give you they haven't been true contenders til Mahomes. Steelers didn't make the playoffs last year and the Patriots were eliminated first game. I guess I'm just saying, the exciting new blood in the AFC (whether team or QB driven) happened last year as well.

But anyway, the future of AFC QBs does look amazing. In addition to Mahomes, Watson, Mayfield, Allen, and Jackson, just added Burrow and Herbert, going to add Lawrence and maybe Fields, Tua could still be a thing, Drew Lock as well. Meanwhile, the NFC has Washington, Chicago, SF with no QB. Brady, Brees, Cousins, Goff, Wilson, Ryan, Stafford, and Rodgers have all been around for a while (Brees will retire, but they they join WFT/Bears level). NYG's young QB doesn't look like he will work out. Eagles QB isn't super young anymore and looks like he may not work out. NFC's promising QB pool is basically Kyler Murray at this point and whoever gets Zach Wilson/Trey Lance.
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:43 pm

The power does seem to be shifting to the AFC, largely because of those QBs you mentioned. Even if Tua doesn’t ever become a thing, that team is very close to being a power in the AFC East. The Raiders, Browns, Bills and Bengals all either took a forward leap this season or seemed poised to do so next year. Dynasties, even at the divisional level, are bad for sports. Meanwhile, the entire NFC South is a huge question mark, and LOL NFC East.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:16 pm

KC is hardly an unstoppable force this year. 9 of their 14 wins were within one score and 6 within a FG.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:26 pm

OleMissCub wrote:KC is hardly an unstoppable force this year. 9 of their 14 wins were within one score and 6 within a FG.

0-7-1 last 8 games against the spread. Of course, they won all those that they played their starters. But their last win by more than 6 points was against the terrible Jets in Week 8. Their last 1/2 of the season schedule featured the Broncos, Raiders, Falcons, Panthers and Chargers.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:08 pm

My favorite gif creation ever. From about 10 years ago when Freeman was their QB

3 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:13 pm

Not only is that a great gif, but I also happen to like Wanted enough to know where it came from. It's the scene where British Actor Playing American #999948593928 hits Disney property #9594938285868 with a keyboard for having s-e-x with Cathy and overall being a douche
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:19 pm

Re: Lamar. He’s been my fantasy QB the last 2 years so I’ve watched a lot of him. I’m honestly not sure if Lamar is a better passer than Mitch. Clearly has him on athleticism and running ability but Mitch is above average there vs Lamars Uber eliteness. With an offense suited for this style of play, I wonder if Mitch would essentially be a poor man’s Lamar Jackson.

Sounds weird just typing that
0 x
Win it for Fred

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:31 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Re: Lamar. He’s been my fantasy QB the last 2 years so I’ve watched a lot of him. I’m honestly not sure if Lamar is a better passer than Mitch. Clearly has him on athleticism and running ability but Mitch is above average there vs Lamars Uber eliteness. With an offense suited for this style of play, I wonder if Mitch would essentially be a poor man’s Lamar Jackson.

Mitch's problem isn't his throws. They're not great but they're NFL-acceptable. His problem is his inability to make the right reads. I'm not sure he could run a QB-run heavy offense because I've never once seem him make the right decision on an option play involving a QB run.
1 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:44 pm

OleMissCub wrote:My favorite gif creation ever. From about 10 years ago when Freeman was their QB

Holy crap, that’s incredible. Wish it was Brady.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:12 pm

NOLA wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:My favorite gif creation ever. From about 10 years ago when Freeman was their QB

Holy crap, that’s incredible. Wish it was Brady.

Ya I should have thought to redo it this week
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:16 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Re: Lamar. He’s been my fantasy QB the last 2 years so I’ve watched a lot of him. I’m honestly not sure if Lamar is a better passer than Mitch. Clearly has him on athleticism and running ability but Mitch is above average there vs Lamars Uber eliteness. With an offense suited for this style of play, I wonder if Mitch would essentially be a poor man’s Lamar Jackson.

Mitch's problem isn't his throws. They're not great but they're NFL-acceptable. His problem is his inability to make the right reads. I'm not sure he could run a QB-run heavy offense because I've never once seem him make the right decision on an option play involving a QB run.

Mitch used to have massive issues blowing easyish short throws. That’s the kind of stuff I’m seeing Lamar do now. But I guess thinking back on it, I haven’t seen that as much recently from Mitch.

But you are right, RPO are something Lamar seems to do masterfully and Mitch consistently makes the wrong decision on. That and the better athleticism go a long way in explaining why Lamar is a lot more successful
0 x
Win it for Fred

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:20 pm

OMFG what a Cleveland fumble.
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:22 pm

OleMissCub wrote:OMFG what a Cleveland fumble.

What a terrible call. That should be targeting, 1st and goal at the 1 yard line for Cleveland.
1 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:26 pm

NOLA wrote:

What a terrible call. That should be targeting, 1st and goal at the 1 yard line for Cleveland.

If they review a play, EVERYTHING should be deemed reviewable during that specific review. Makes too much sense I guess
0 x

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star

Postby sweetpeteman » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:27 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
NOLA wrote:

If they review a play, EVERYTHING should be deemed reviewable during that specific review. Makes too much sense I guess

I also hate that touchback rule. Why should the other team just be given the ball? Just make it go back to the spot of the fumble.
1 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:28 pm

sweetpeteman wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
NOLA wrote:What a terrible call. That should be targeting, 1st and goal at the 1 yard line for Cleveland.

I also hate that touchback rule. Why should the other team just be given the ball? Just make it go back to the spot of the fumble.

Never understood the logic of that rule. It’s bizarre
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:32 pm

In their last 4 quarters plus 5 seconds of playoff football the Browns have been outscored 49-16
0 x
Win it for Fred

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:43 pm

Way too early, totally irrational take:
I’ve got the Bills.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame