Are we getting Black Monday II? Bears offseason thread

Old Style
Superstar

Re: Are we getting Black Monday II? Bears offseason thread

Postby Old Style » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:23 pm

At this point I'll take Fitz and draft a QB.
1 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:09 pm

I don't hate the Darnold idea. The Jets' have been dysfunctional enough that it's not completely outrageous to think he can be fixed. It's certainly not the likely outcome, but it's a swing at a long term answer. And if/when he fails, he's great tank-fuel. You have to pair him with a draft pick though, he's too much of a long shot to just pair with Foles and call it an offseason.

I don't see Pace going for it though. Given the hotseat he's on he'll want someone higher floor. I think he tries hard for Carr or Watson, and ultimately settles for pairing a safe veteran with a draft pick.
0 x

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:59 pm

Outshined_One wrote:I think the Colts, Eagles, and Wentz did pretty well with this deal. The Eagles got multiple picks, including a first rounder if Wentz succeeds. The Colts get an established veteran QB with upside at a fair price. Wentz is going into a fairly stable situation in Indy with decent odds of making the playoffs next season given the state of the AFC South. Something tells me this trade would have been an outright disaster for the Bears if they were in the Colts' shoes.

I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the dead look in Ryan Pace's eyes when he spends an inordinate amount of time explaining why he believes Gardner Minshew is the Bears' QB of the future.

Well said. I was trying to think of how to say that Pace would get killed for trading for Wentz, while Ballard would mae it look interesting. Partly due to their respective success at the QB position, partly due to the rest of the roster and chance for success. I think Wentz will be pretty good for the Colts.

Also, every time I see the Colts/Ballard discussed (a lot living in Indiana) I think about how the Bears were considering him for GM before hiring Pace. I was routing for Ballard then and I really like him in Indy, especially after he had to deal with the Josh McDaniels stuff.
1 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:10 pm

Bertz wrote:I don't hate the Darnold idea. The Jets' have been dysfunctional enough that it's not completely outrageous to think he can be fixed. It's certainly not the likely outcome, but it's a swing at a long term answer. And if/when he fails, he's great tank-fuel. You have to pair him with a draft pick though, he's too much of a long shot to just pair with Foles and call it an offseason.

I don't see Pace going for it though. Given the hotseat he's on he'll want someone higher floor. I think he tries hard for Carr or Watson, and ultimately settles for pairing a safe veteran with a draft pick.

It's not outrageous to think he can be fixed. Probably is to think Nagy and DeFilippo and co. can fix him. Agree with your assessment of him though, in regards to Pace's interest. The news that Pace never offered Wentz or Stafford is interesting to me. Honestly, it either says to me that Pace isn't going to go stupid for a guy that might not be the answer (or isn't allowed to) or maybe thinks he has a legit shot at a legit answer.

I do still think in the end it will be someone like Mariota and a draft pick. Mariota is just as much of a reclamation project as Wentz, and may cost just money if the Raiders stick w/ Carr. Pace had interest in him the year he was drafted.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:21 pm

jumbo wrote:
Outshined_One wrote:I think the Colts, Eagles, and Wentz did pretty well with this deal. The Eagles got multiple picks, including a first rounder if Wentz succeeds. The Colts get an established veteran QB with upside at a fair price. Wentz is going into a fairly stable situation in Indy with decent odds of making the playoffs next season given the state of the AFC South. Something tells me this trade would have been an outright disaster for the Bears if they were in the Colts' shoes.

I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the dead look in Ryan Pace's eyes when he spends an inordinate amount of time explaining why he believes Gardner Minshew is the Bears' QB of the future.

Well said. I was trying to think of how to say that Pace would get killed for trading for Wentz, while Ballard would mae it look interesting. Partly due to their respective success at the QB position, partly due to the rest of the roster and chance for success. I think Wentz will be pretty good for the Colts.

Also, every time I see the Colts/Ballard discussed (a lot living in Indiana) I think about how the Bears were considering him for GM before hiring Pace. I was routing for Ballard then and I really like him in Indy, especially after he had to deal with the Josh McDaniels stuff.

Hate reading why Ballard lost the job to Pace when he was right.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:27 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

refresh my memory, what was it about?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:05 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

I believe that former bears staffer and occasional XFL exec Greg Gabriel said something about suspecting the bears didn’t want Ballard since he was a part of the organization and knows what needs to be fixed?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:13 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

I believe that former bears staffer and occasional XFL exec Greg Gabriel said something about suspecting the bears didn’t want Ballard since he was a part of the organization and knows what needs to be fixed?

i'm reading into this: Ted Phillips or the McCaskeys were the issue?
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:17 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Massive organizational shifts the Bears weren't comfortable with (but were likely necessary).
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:19 pm

ah, I dont remember hearing about any of that but makes sense
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:43 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Massive organizational shifts the Bears weren't comfortable with (but were likely necessary).

There's been lots of vagueness to it all and Pace has also made lots of big organizational changes himself. So I've always treated that Ballard thing with some skepticism.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:45 pm

plus greg gabriel is legitimately an extremely dumb person and often full of horsefeathers
3 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:49 pm

David wrote:plus greg gabriel is legitimately an extremely dumb person and often full of horsefeathers

I can't remember who it was, but apparently Ballard is also just still very friendly with the local media guys and they basically just interpret these rumors as his own venting to Gabriel or whoever else pushed that narrative.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:55 pm

The Stockholm Syndrome displayed in this thread is amazing. If you have even a notion of a thought of "sure, we can fix Sam Darnold" then you are too far gone to ever come back.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:26 pm

Derwood wrote:The Stockholm Syndrome displayed in this thread is amazing. If you have even a notion of a thought of "sure, we can fix Sam Darnold" then you are too far gone to ever come back.

what part of "tank this horsefeathers" dont you understand
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:53 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Derwood wrote:The Stockholm Syndrome displayed in this thread is amazing. If you have even a notion of a thought of "sure, we can fix Sam Darnold" then you are too far gone to ever come back.

The people who are serious about Darnold being a reclamation project aren't pro-tank. They have just been bludgeoned by the team for decades so they have no standards for the team
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:04 am

Derwood wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

The people who are serious about Darnold being a reclamation project aren't pro-tank. They have just been bludgeoned by the team for decades so they have no standards for the team

There's 1 partially pro-Darnold post in this thread.
1 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:27 pm

I haven't really studied what is wrong with Darnold, but I've always been under the impression he has had quite a miserable supporting cast. Looking at PFF, the Jets OLine ranked 26th in '18, 28th in '19 and 29th in '20. I can't name a Jets TE. I can only think of Jamison Crowder as far as fantasy impact WR's. And their starting RB this year was Frank Gore.

With that said, I'm torn on who I would rather have between Minshew, Darnold and Mariota if we want a reclamation project. If I had to guess, Fitzpatrick is probably better than all three of them. So maybe get Fitzpatrick and one of those three and let them battle it out for the starting job. This would be assuming they really can trade Foles somewhere.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:48 pm

Derwood wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

See, I read all of that like "if Darnold success for us, yay, if he helps us tank, YAY"

Or maybe that was just my inner voice
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:50 pm

BigbadB wrote:I haven't really studied what is wrong with Darnold, but I've always been under the impression he has had quite a miserable supporting cast. Looking at PFF, the Jets OLine ranked 26th in '18, 28th in '19 and 29th in '20. I can't name a Jets TE. I can only think of Jamison Crowder as far as fantasy impact WR's. And their starting RB this year was Frank Gore.

With that said, I'm torn on who I would rather have between Minshew, Darnold and Mariota if we want a reclamation project. If I had to guess, Fitzpatrick is probably better than all three of them. So maybe get Fitzpatrick and one of those three and let them battle it out for the starting job. This would be assuming they really can trade Foles somewhere.

Who would cost less? Other then cost I'd lean Mariota, then Minshew, lastly Darnold
0 x

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:23 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
jumbo wrote:

The Pace over Ballard decision when coupled with the Trestman over Bruce Arians decision drives me insane. Arians may have been successful enough to not get Emery fired quite as quickly, but assuming they still had a chance at Ballard when Emery went out that would have been an awesome GM/HC combo.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:30 pm

Not sure if it's anything but

1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:50 pm

Yay more old defenders