Are we getting Black Monday II? Bears offseason thread

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Re: Are we getting Black Monday II? Bears offseason thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:05 am

I'm sure that there's a price at which Watt makes sense.

But the Bears are addicted to aging defensive players with more name than tread left on the tires, and the price at which they get their fix isn't really the point.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:12 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I'm sure that there's a price at which Watt makes sense.

But the Bears are addicted to aging defensive players with more name than tread left on the tires, and the price at which they get their fix isn't really the point.

As bad as the Bears have been at drafting and developing QBs, their inability to do so with pass rushers is equally bad. Floyd never developed into a pass rusher and before that wasn't Mark Andersen the last one?
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:59 pm

UK wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I'm sure that there's a price at which Watt makes sense.

As bad as the Bears have been at drafting and developing QBs, their inability to do so with pass rushers is equally bad. Floyd never developed into a pass rusher and before that wasn't Mark Andersen the last one?

Bauzin
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:30 pm

UK wrote:

And Anderson was basically a 1-year wonder.

They've plugged pass rush through free agency and trade for the most part this century - Quinn, Mack, Peppers, Ogunleye.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:34 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
UK wrote:

And Anderson was basically a 1-year wonder.

They've plugged pass rush through free agency and trade for the most part this century - Quinn, Mack, Peppers, Ogunleye.

They've really failed at all the premier positions. If I had to rank the top 5 most important positions in football they'd be QB, OT, Pass rusher, CB, and recently I'd put WR 5th.

Not only have the Bears had a sheer lack of picks at this positions, they've failed when picking these positions early.

QB- no early picks o QB between 2003 (Grossman) and 2017 (Trubisky)

OT- Only 4 picks on tackles before the 5th round this century. Those pick were Gabe Carimi in 2011 (injured bust), Chris Williams in 2008 (bust moved to guard), Marc Columbo (Bears bust, who Cowboys got a few good years out of) and Mike Gandy in 02 and 01 respectively.

Pass rusher- Floyd and McClellin are the only top 100 picks this decade. Going back to 2000 throws more bad picks in there, Dan Bazuin and Michael Haynes (Alex Brown was pick 104 in 2002).

CB- Actually have done well here. Jaylon Johnson's the only Pace pick at CB (that wasn't moved to S). Fuller was a previous regime pick, which worked. Tillman was the previous early pick at CB. But have been able to add guys like Vasher, Bowman, Callahan, etc. here thru the draft UDFA process.

WR- Jeffery was a good pick. But since, Miller and Kevin White. Some OK picks mixed in (Bennett, Knox, Hester, Berrian) and some bad (Iglesias, Bradley)
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:38 pm

at least we made russell's list
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:40 pm

David wrote:https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1365007710496948239?s=20

Nagy might actually be a perfect marriage for him. Sounds like he wants to pass more especially on early downs. That's right up Nagy's playbook.
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:52 pm

8 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:57 pm

Yeah I just wonder why we made the list. Can't feel overly confident with the offensive staff, or the offensive weapons unless ARob comes back. HC and GM are on the hot seat. He did go to Wisconsin for a year but is from Virginia and doesn't have ties to the area. Maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic about what the Bears have. Not like the Raiders have a better situation unless he wants to play for Gruden and/or play in a climate controlled stadium.
0 x
Win it for Fred

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:00 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

Yeah I just wonder why we made the list. Can't feel overly confident with the offensive staff, or the offensive weapons unless ARob comes back. HC and GM are on the hot seat. He did go to Wisconsin for a year but is from Virginia and doesn't have ties to the area. Maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic about what the Bears have. Not like the Raiders have a better situation unless he wants to play for Gruden and/or play in a climate controlled stadium.

I only read part of the Athletic article on it, but I suspect he sees Nagys scheme as a good marriage. More passing, especially on early downs is where he sees elevating his game to the next level. If he did it with QB starved Chicago to boot, he'd be helping cement his legacy above many of his peers.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:20 pm

Man, if Russell Wilson really mentions the Bears as a team he would play for, you offer a trade, right off the bat, that would make Seattle consider a deal even if they don't plan on trading Wilson. I don't really like the thought of trading 3 1sts for a 33 year old QB on the surface, but this is a top 5 guy still playing at an MVP level with no signs of slowing down.
1 x

bjam12
Starter

Postby bjam12 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:33 pm

I can't think of an offseason in recent memory (maybe even my lifetime) where so many QB's are available, whether FA or trade, and somehow the Bears will mess this up.
1 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:42 pm

Wilson's incredible. He's a mega douche (I loved Deadspin's "Uncanny Valley" moniker), but on the field Mahomes is the only QB I'd rather have. Give up every 1st round pick until he retires and it's still worth it IMO.
0 x

gflore34
5-Time All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:14 pm

bjam12 wrote:I can't think of an offseason in recent memory (maybe even my lifetime) where so many QB's are available, whether FA or trade, and somehow the Bears will mess this up.

I'd like to think not but, who am I kidding? At this point I'm thinking they're going to run it back with Foles taking an OL with the first rounder that, might not be so terrible. As the most probable outcome being Pace and Nagy gone after 21, of course, that means another GM hire by current ownership so, take it with a grain of salt. The other is Pace giving up the house, trading up into the top 5 and taking Mac Jones while passing on Wilson, Fields and Lance. Pace will find a way to horsefeathers this up I think that's the most certain outcome.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:19 pm

If the actual big dominoes start to fall, the Bears will absolutely get somebody new and potentially even interesting. But if these trades don't actually go down, and Dak stays put, there isn't anybody for the Bears to get and they'll try to pare Foles with a draft pick and make 2021 respectable enough to get 2 year extensions.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:16 pm

A boatload of picks for a 32 year old QB is probably dumb, but horsefeathers it, let's go deep.
1 x

gflore34
5-Time All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:27 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:A boatload of picks for a 32 year old QB is probably dumb, but horsefeathers it, let's go deep.

If its Russell Wilson horsefeathers it, go for it, he still at the top of his game, Pace could do a whole hell of a lot worse.
2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:41 am

The best part of a Wilson trade: I'll finally get my wife and daughter to wear a Bears jersey.

horsefeathers it let's do it
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:50 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:The best part of a Wilson trade: I'll finally get my wife and daughter to wear a Bears jersey.

horsefeathers it let's do it

I might go buy multiple version of his jersey and I'm not even a big jersey guy.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:19 pm

What's his beef with Seattle? But yeah, I'll take him for a boatload of Pace 1st rounders. Still think we end up with Minshew or Mariota.
0 x

MidoreX
All-Star

Postby MidoreX » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:55 pm

BigbadB wrote:What's his beef with Seattle? But yeah, I'll take him for a boatload of Pace 1st rounders. Still think we end up with Minshew or Mariota.

Pete Carroll hates turn overs so much that heavily indexes on the run over pass... Russell Wilson REALLY wants a pass heavy offense. I'm sure there's a whole bunch of other, smaller things contributing to their relationship being a little bumpy, but that's the crux of it
0 x

gflore34
5-Time All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:12 pm

BigbadB wrote:What's his beef with Seattle? But yeah, I'll take him for a boatload of Pace 1st rounders. Still think we end up with Minshew or Mariota.

Pace should go OL and WR or WR and OL with the first two picks, and see what shakes out after the top QB prospects are drafted.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:42 pm

It's funny to look at mock drafts around the internet and seeing people's thoughts on the Bears draft picks. Either people don't like or don't understand the Bears situation and don't understand their GM.

The prevailing opinions are the Bears are NOT able to get any QB in a trade. Obviously, mock drafts don't really touch on free agency, but I've seen mocks predict trades not involving just picks. I've seen mocks with teams trading up for QBs. But never the Bears. Not only that, but the Bears don't even pick a QB in any of them. Pass on Mac Jones (which would be fine). There's even a mock that has Justin Fields going 24th to the Steelers, meaning passed on by the Bears (which would be terrible).

It's weird because everyone acknowledges the Bears need a QB. Most acknowledge the pure desperation they have for a QB. They've been rumored to be in on Stafford, Wentz, Carr, Watson, Wilson, and Minshew. I've read rumored interest of Dak (if available). They have ties to Mariota (Pace tried to trade up for him in 2016). Yet, nobody has the Bears moving for a QB. Even weirder, I'd say over half the mocks around the web have them going WR in the 1st round. They're also assuming Allen Robinson walks. While that could happen, I think it's much more likely he gets tagged.

I know mocks should be taken with a grain of salt, especially from the same people that thought the Bears were taking defense in 2017, even after the trade up to 2. But some of this stuff is just insanely uninformed.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:19 pm

rawaction wrote:It's funny to look at mock drafts around the internet and seeing people's thoughts on the Bears draft picks. Either people don't like or don't understand the Bears situation and don't understand their GM.

The prevailing opinions are the Bears are NOT able to get any QB in a trade. Obviously, mock drafts don't really touch on free agency, but I've seen mocks predict trades not involving just picks. I've seen mocks with teams trading up for QBs. But never the Bears. Not only that, but the Bears don't even pick a QB in any of them. Pass on Mac Jones (which would be fine). There's even a mock that has Justin Fields going 24th to the Steelers, meaning passed on by the Bears (which would be terrible).

It's weird because everyone acknowledges the Bears need a QB. Most acknowledge the pure desperation they have for a QB. They've been rumored to be in on Stafford, Wentz, Carr, Watson, Wilson, and Minshew. I've read rumored interest of Dak (if available). They have ties to Mariota (Pace tried to trade up for him in 2016). Yet, nobody has the Bears moving for a QB. Even weirder, I'd say over half the mocks around the web have them going WR in the 1st round. They're also assuming Allen Robinson walks. While that could happen, I think it's much more likely he gets tagged.

I know mocks should be taken with a grain of salt, especially from the same people that thought the Bears were taking defense in 2017, even after the trade up to 2. But some of this stuff is just insanely uninformed.

that's just a testament to how out of town stupid most people are and how hard it is to cover an entire league comprehensively. it's why i pretty much ignore any national media/sources when it comes to sports unless it's literally just analytics/data based stuff, bc that is just auto-compiled and isn't subject to people being biased/uninformed. at least the local guys have a strong feel for whatever org they are covering (assuming they aren't morons - which they often are).
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:49 pm

I read all kinds of ideas, and even find some interesting. One guy is adamant that signing Winston makes way more sense than trading for guys like Mariota, Minshew or Darnold. Notice that left out in this discussion is Watson and Wilson. He says a year working behind Brees, having surgery on his eyes and working in a different program makes him more appealing, especially since he won't cost you draft picks. Brady did much more with the Bucs than Winston did, but they also added quite a few pieces to improve Brady's chances of success. That's not saying Winston could have accomplished the same thing if he was the QB. But, what could he have done with that lineup?

I saw another interesting comment that Mariota will likely get released if no one trades for him. The amount of money he's scheduled to make as a back up this year is better money spent elsewhere for the Raiders. Mariota has incentives for play that could boost his pay to closer to 20m if reached.

Even if you don't unload Foles and you do get someone like Mariota, Winston, Minshew or Darnold, you probably still want to draft a development guy like Newman, Pickett or Mond.

I don't think an Alex Smith/Nick Foles qb room would be all that horrible, but you definitely want a young guy who can step in since both of those guys have injury concerns.

I do think that an OT and a WR are important pieces, while also figuring out a way to retain Robinson. If you can find a stud receiver to complement Robinson and Mooney, which pushes Miller to a 4th on the depth chart, I think you have a solid receiver base. Whether Pace can find the guy who can extend his GM career is unknown, but there are plenty of options at play. He's gambling on his career for sure.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”